• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

pony on trial - concerns!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck. You really went above and beyond only to get the no good deed goes unpunished. And people wonder why so many will not do trials. Good luck getting everything sorted out
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

Please report back to us when you have the pony back in your care, and OUT that no good sonofableep trainer who colluded with the 'wannabe buyers' to jerk you around.
      Jeanie
      RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

I'd offer to pay for 1/2 the cost of the PPE to get written permission from them for the vet to release results to you. I bet they never got one done. I think they either just wanted a pony to show or trainer wanted a free pony for client to show, while she tries to flip him at show and make more money.
        On the off chance they agree to give you permission (and before I would send them a dime, I would call vet, verify PPE, what was done and what was paid..), get the PPE, as it will help you with future clients at a reduced cost to you.

Comment

They said come get the pony now. So I'd go get the pony now. If trainer isn't responding, I'd just show up.

You've seen their true colors. The longer you wait, the more chance of things going badly.

Id also be telling my trainer to go above the other trainer and contact the BO, who she knows. There's been no response and I'd be getting nervous at this point.

Comment

Wow, no response?! This makes me really nervous. Please let us know when you get your pony back and how it went.

Comment

I would be on my way ASAP to get the pony, the lack of communication always scares me!

Comment

• Original Poster

I hate to say this, but we still haven't heard from this trainer!! It is 4:30 on the east coast and she left him another message about this. I cannot believe that we are still dealing with this.

I am disappointed in both trainers at this point (yes, my trainer too). I know it's a busy show weekend for our barn, but she needs to go get my pony. This was her contact and she set up this trial with them. I do not have a truck and trailer to get her myself.

I can't believe this.

Comment

• Original Poster

I am making calls now to see if anyone I know who has a truck and trailer is free tomorrow to make a 6 hour drive....

Comment

Where exactly are you located? Rough area of where pony is? (Without throwing anyone under the bus, and potentially ruffling feathers). I wonder if there's anyone who could at least stop by to see pony and help you feel a little more at ease until you can arrange a pick-up. Heck, I bet there's some COTHers who'd hook up their truck/trailer for a good "hero" story, gas money and lunch!
                    "I'd rather have a horse. A horse is at least human, for god's sake." - J.D. Salinger

Comment

Good luck with your pony OP. Hope all goes well.
                      Keep us updated please.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok, a good friend of mine (who has just been elevated to GREAT friend status), is willing to drive for 6 hours tomorrow on her day off (she works 2 jobs) with me and get my pony.

That trainer has NOT called back. Now my biggest concern is will the pony be there when we get there?! Do we call and let them know we are coming or do we just show up?

I am losing faith in my own trainer to get this handled properly. I really think at this point that she should be the one getting her on Monday (barn is closed that day and it's the day off for the horses) with her truck and trailer.

I am very disappointed with this whole situation. I wish the whole thing was handled better all around. I've learned some valuable lessons and I know my trainer has too. I can only hope that by sharing this story, it can help others.

I will keep everyone updated on our progress and will certainly update when the pony is back safe and sound. Thanks again for your concerns!

Once we have our pony back, I am more than willing to share this trainer's name and barn so that others do not go through what we are going through!! I have a feeling he will be looking for more ponies for his client....

Comment

At this point with the zero communication you have received from this trainer I would just show up and get my pony. If you feel like you need to contact someone and let them know you are coming you could try the BO, but then it might get back to the trainer, and the way the guy is acting who knows what he'd do.

Good luck!

Comment

I have not been speaking to the buyers directly. I know nothing about them. It's all been done through my trainer and their trainer.
                            Major mistake no matter what anyone says....Go get your pony..the next thing you know she will at a horse show with this kid and if does not go well your Ponies rep will be tarnished. a month trail is WAY to long.

As norcalammie says this is the correct way to approach the situtation...you are 100% correct.

They can bring her back to your barn - at their expense as they were to have a one week then two week trial. They can come to your barn and rider her if they need some additional saddle time. If they want to show her, is your trainer perhaps going to the same show? Maybe the pony can go with your trainer and your daughter can show her and the prospective buyer can rider her in a class or two to see how she reacts in a show environment.

I know someone who took a horse on a weeks trial asked for another week...took horse to show changed his name he was Reserve Chmp @ a recgnzd H/J show they then bargained his price down!!! telling owner since he had no show record his value was decreased!!!! Yup this is all true....They eventually re sold him for close to $200K

Comment

Unbelievable lack of class. I hope all goes well, good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jenct View Post
                                Ok, a good friend of mine (who has just been elevated to GREAT friend status), is willing to drive for 6 hours tomorrow on her day off (she works 2 jobs) with me and get my pony.

That trainer has NOT called back. Now my biggest concern is will the pony be there when we get there?! Do we call and let them know we are coming or do we just show up?

I am losing faith in my own trainer to get this handled properly. I really think at this point that she should be the one getting her on Monday (barn is closed that day and it's the day off for the horses) with her truck and trailer.

I am very disappointed with this whole situation. I wish the whole thing was handled better all around. I've learned some valuable lessons and I know my trainer has too. I can only hope that by sharing this story, it can help others.

I will keep everyone updated on our progress and will certainly update when the pony is back safe and sound. Thanks again for your concerns!

Once we have our pony back, I am more than willing to share this trainer's name and barn so that others do not go through what we are going through!! I have a feeling he will be looking for more ponies for his client....
                                I would be FURIOUS.

Show up there. Someone will know where they are if they aren't at their barn. If needed, call them once there (block your caller ID, they won't know it is you calling...) Were they supposed to go at a show? Which one? Call the secretary at the show and see if your pony is registered, or if the Trainer is going there...

If they are at the show. Go at the show and get your pony there. (Yes, the little buyers' kid might cry but let them explain him/her the situation)

Involve the authorities if needed.

As for your trainer.... can I suggest you find a new one? Really....
                                ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                                I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                                HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Make sure you take appropriate paperwork showing you are the pony's owner. Coggins, health papers, registration papers, whatever you have in case they are jerks and you need authorities involved or something. You never know.

Once when we moved our horses from a trainer in a bad situation, our lawyer advised us to do just that, just in case it got ugly. Jingles he is home safe by this time tomorrow.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ugh. Turns out we can't get her until Monday afternoon (my friend has a work schedule conflict for tomorrow). I'll have to hang in one more day unless that trainer gets my pony to a mutual show ground drop off point tomorrow. But no, he has not returned numerous messages from my trainer.

I expressed my concerns about the pony's well-being to my trainer. She kind of brushed it off - "well, we left her there to buy her and you were not worried." I said - "True, but at this point I am concerned about her because the trainer is not returning calls. We didn't give him what he wanted & he's being a complete a$$. We didn't expect this to happen so I have no faith or trust with him or his barn anymore. She should've been home already." My trainer told me to "sit tight."

I do like my trainer very much and we have been with her for some time. I am just so unhappy with how everything has been handled. This is our first selling experience. DD's last pony was happily retired on my aunt's farm. He's fat and happy right now with all day turnout on acres and acres and acres of grass. This pony is too young to retire and has lots to teach another child!

I'm sorry for all of you following this saga that it seems it may stretch into Monday... unless by some miracle this guy does the right thing tomorrow.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Beckham03 View Post
                                      Make sure you take appropriate paperwork showing you are the pony's owner. Coggins, health papers, registration papers, whatever you have in case they are jerks and you need authorities involved or something. You never know.

Once when we moved our horses from a trainer in a bad situation, our lawyer advised us to do just that, just in case it got ugly. Jingles he is home safe by this time tomorrow.
                                      Good idea. Thank you, Beckham03!!

Comment

Making a decision to sell does not mean you don't care. Your trainer is just feeling defensive. Don't let her make YOU feel bad. I am still in touch with my horse of 9 years prior owner, and regularly get pics and updates from the new owner of the horse I sold last summer. Heck, the person who sold me THAT horse 6 years ago just put me on to the horse I bought 3 weeks ago.
                                        There are good people out there, and you can find a home for your pony that you will feel comfortable about.
                                        Best of luck getting her home in short order. I would certainly be pushing your trainer to get her on Monday if it's not done before that.
                                        The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Originally posted by jenct View Post
                                          I expressed my concerns about the pony's well-being to my trainer. She kind of brushed it off - "well, we left her there to buy her and you were not worried."
                                          And??? WTF... you were not worried because you trusted your trainer, this trainer and the buyer.

My trainer told me to "sit tight."
                                          Really!?!

You are not a whining kid. This is YOUR poney, YOUR time, YOUR MONEY for C..Sake... and your OWN KID is WAITING for a new poney.

I would have your trainer sit tight in her truck and drive me to get my damn poney.

Do yourself a big favor, change trainer asap.

I would tell your trainer that s/he will be taken responsible from now on for any problem the pony might have. S/he wanted a commission on the sale, she was responsible for the sale, there!!!

I'm really sorry for you and, despite the fact that I truly believe they won't harm your pony and that s/he is in her stall munching quietly on hay, can't believe how true jerks people can be...
                                          ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                                          I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                                          HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Working...
                                          X