• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

And this is why you don't let horses go on trial.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And this is why you don't let horses go on trial.

Totally my own fault for letting this guy leave the farm. I am not blaming anyone but myself. I should know better. Sent this horse out for a week trial and he came home.....and now he cribs!!!!

Was he a closet cribber before? I have had him since November and never once did he crib. I threw a collar on him and started him on some ulcer meds. Is it too late? Is he a cribber for life now? He is 9 yrs old.
    Derby Lyn Farms Website

Derby Lyn Farms on Facebook!

A week trial making your horse into a cribber? I doubt it.

If I had to bet, I would say the stress of the moving, trial, and then moving back to your place caused some GI upset/ulcer issues going on.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

• Original Poster

That is kind of what I was getting at, hence the ulcer meds.

Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
      If I had to bet, I would say the stress of the moving, trial, and then moving back to your place caused some GI upset/ulcer issues going on.
      Derby Lyn Farms Website

Comment

Yikes, I agree the stress caused some behaviors to shine. I would consider treating for ulcers and turning him out as much as possible since he can't crib when he's grazing and it will hopefully unwind him.

Comment

• Original Poster

He is out most of the time here, only comes in for grain and stays in over night once in a while. He is on a round bale, and we have little bits of grass coming in that he is trying to munch on.
          Last edited by Derby Lyn Farms; Apr. 19, 2013, 01:56 AM.
          Derby Lyn Farms Website

Comment

I wouldn't consider it a vice if the horse never did it, and is doing it now because of a medical condition (i.e. ulcers). Its possible your horse had ulcers that weren't exacerbated until he was shipped off to a new stressful location. Why is that the person's fault who took him on trial? Unless you scoped him before he left to prove he didn't have them, you have no way of proving otherwise.

Comment

A lot of evidence suggests that cribbing has a strong genetic component--it's not a learned behavior. The stressful situation could have just triggered it. The people who had him on trial probably think you were not being forthcoming about the problem!

Comment

I totally believe that a horse may be genetically or otherwise predisposed to pick up cribbing. We have had horses that we are positive did not crib before coming to our farm. Possibly due to lack of availability as in solid concrete stall walls like at the track, or are on full turnout. They have come into our barn and though we have had no cribbers at the time, have within a week or so picked up the cribbing. Probably due to the stress of moving, etc. Even going from a crappy situation to something better, and even though our barn is very laid back, it was a change for them. We have also sold a couple horses to new owners. These horses Never cribbed here. New place, within 2 weeks they are cribbing. these have all been OTTBs. Not that I think that really has much to do with it other than they can seem more sensitive to stressors. Unfortunately I have never seen a horse stop the cribbing totally even if "caught" quickly.
                I feel that if they have that tendancy to crib burried inside them that eventually it will come out. Stress of moving from barn to barn can seem, in my cases to be a huge trigger.
                This makes me think in the future if I ever lease a horse out or send out on trial, or even buy or sell a new horse, that I might do some ulcer preventative.
                On a different note I am not too sure of the genetic predisposition for cribbing that some believe in. We had a young horse who was born and raised here, out of our mare and stallion who as a 3 year old started cribbing. We knew her grand dam even and she did not crib, and neither did either parent.
                The mysteries of cribbing!!

Comment

• Original Poster

The first sentence of my original post states that I take full blame for it. I never blamed the other people. A clause in the contract would just be the same as a lameness clause. My horse went to you sound. If he is lame when you try to return him then you have to buy him.

I am blaming myself for letting him leave as I usually don't do this anymore. I should have sent him with ulcer meds and required them to feed them to him. Lesson learned! There will be absolutely no more trials from now on.
                  These people that took him are friends of mine and I know they did not intend for this to happen. They took excellent care of him, but if he gets stressed from moving that is no one's fault. He actually went there with his pasture buddy so I thought it would have been less stressful for him. His pasture mate stayed there.

Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
                  Why is that the person's fault who took him on trial? Unless you scoped him before he left to prove he didn't have them, you have no way of proving otherwise.
                  Derby Lyn Farms Website

Comment

Originally posted by Riverview View Post
                    We have also sold a couple horses to new owners. These horses Never cribbed here. New place, within 2 weeks they are cribbing. these have all been OTTBs. Not that I think that really has much to do with it other than they can seem more sensitive to stressors.
                    Over 90% of race horses have ulcers. I'd say that has more to do with it than TBs just being more sensitive to stressors. The horses you refer to probably already had ulcers to begin with if they weren't treated after ending their racing career.

Unfortunately I have never seen a horse stop the cribbing totally even if "caught" quickly.
                    Were said horses treated for ulcers? If not, that may very well be why they continued to crib.

Stress of moving from barn to barn can seem, in my cases to be a huge trigger.
                    Well yes, stress causes ulcers, and a symptom of ulcers is cribbing (as well as other things like eating wood, irritability, lack of appetite, etc.

This makes me think in the future if I ever lease a horse out or send out on trial, or even buy or sell a new horse, that I might do some ulcer preventative.
                    I agree that would be a good idea for all involved, including the horse.

On a different note I am not too sure of the genetic predisposition for cribbing that some believe in. We had a young horse who was born and raised here, out of our mare and stallion who as a 3 year old started cribbing. We knew her grand dam even and she did not crib, and neither did either parent.
                    Were any empirical ulcer treatments attempted to see if that stopped the cribbing? Foals are extremely susceptible to gastric ulcers. 3 years old was probably around the time you started training on this horse. Is it possible the stress of breaking and training caused GI upset with this horse?

I think sometimes when we discuss ulcers and vices, that we don't see what is right in front of us, myself included. I didn't realize that my mare had EVERY ulcer symptom in the book until I looked in hindsight. Eventually we scoped her, and sure enough! When we talk about a horse randomly starting to crib, we think "well, must be he was a cribber all along!" but we don't analyze the changes in environment/training/feed, etc to see if maybe those are playing a role in the change in behavior.

Comment

This thread is the exact reason that I don't ever recommend people TAKE a horse on trial.

You never know what someone is going to blame you for.
                      Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

I'd get him on GG/UG ASAP and hopefully put an end to the cause of the cribbing. You may well be able to stop the cribbing altogether at this point.

Comment

Recent article in Equus blows the whole horse-learned-to -crib theory out of the water. Shows strong genetic component, possibly related to ulcers, and interestingly enough...TBs have various high rates of cribbing but STBs in the same track type situations did NOT.

So anyways.

OP: probably ulcers, I'm sure he'll be fine, but man I bet that's frustrating!!
                          COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

• Original Poster

I am not blaming the people at all. They had no control over what
                            would stress him. A They provided him with a great environment. I am not mad at them. But I stopped doing trials to people I don't know (and some that I do know) because it is too much of a change for them. When someone buys a horse they usually let them settle for a week. With trials we are rushing people through them to make a decision. The cribbing is probably not going to stop, and anything would have set him off eventually.
                            Derby Lyn Farms Website

Comment

If it's only been a week or so, that's not a lot of time to set a habit, so it's probably more likely you can stop the cribbing if you stop the cause of it, than it having already become an ingrained habit.

Comment

The cribbing is probably not going to stop, and anything would have set him off eventually.
                                Uh, if the cribbing started because the horse had an ulcer flareup, then it will more than likely stop if you treat the root cause...the ulcers.

Comment

So next buyer doesn't get a trial, but takes horsey home and within a week cribbing starts (doesn't even have to be this horse). Don't you think the buyer is going to come back and say you didn't disclose? Do you think your horse knew it was a trial? What would you do if it was a completed sale and this happened? I can't see it as a reason not to allow a trial. Other reasons, yes, but not this.

Comment

Originally posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
                                    He actually went there with his pasture buddy so I thought it would have been less stressful for him. His pasture mate stayed there.
                                    Maybe his biggest stress is coming home and not having his pasture buddy.

I do not think most people buy a horse and let it stand around for a week or more to let it get situated before doing anything with it.

Comment

I also don't think most people let a horse sit and "adjust" before doing anything. We certainly don't take horses to most shows and let them sit around the show grounds for a week before starting to school them. Many people ship horses to shows and have someone the horse hardly/doesn't know take care of him, getting right on the business of prepping him.

Comment

I'd say if this horse is that sensitive that a major change like this upsets him, then if/when you do sell him, sell him with a week's worth of Ulcergard and make it known he just does better if he can have some ulcer preventive before something major.

Comment

Working...
                                        X