• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Interesting alfalfa observation with my horse.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting alfalfa observation with my horse.

I am the first one to say that in general alfalfa or any other feed is very unlikely to make a horse "hot" in and of itself.

But wow, I think my horse just proved himself the exception.

He's a hot, tends-to-be-anxious type anyhow, but brave as a tiger and SUPER fun to ride. I don't mind hot, keen horses at all. But this guy's line between "forward and bold" and "freaking out completely" is thinner than some. There have been brief (thankfully) periods since I've had him when "freaking out" was commonplace: rearing, fussing, bucking, holding his breath when ridden. Vet checks have found nothing other than one isolated neck injury that responded really well to treatment.

So I've always just thought maybe this horse had a hair trigger and is a worrier. And he almost certainly IS. But now we have a much stronger clue as to an environmental "culprit".

Only once before have I ever given this guy alfalfa--when he had gotten a little ribby after I moved him and it was late fall and the grass was poor. Well, within a week he was in one of his WILD phases. That was when the neck injury was diagnosed, he had some time off, came back fine, normal behavior.

Briefly since then he's had crazier days, but nothing consistent. Just normal "hot horse" behavior.

Well, last Sunday we had bronc-fest 2013. This horse doesn't normally do much in terms of "bucking" except a few crow-hops, but he EXPLODED on me and it was all I could do to stay on. I wrote it off to being outside riding for the first time in months. Then all this week he's been kind of "up" and fussier than normal, swapping leads, bouncing up and down in the canter--his normal "hot horse" stuff + 20%.

Then the new barn guy, who is new to horses but very thoughtful and my new favorite kid in town, pointed out to me yesterday that his stall had been REALLY wet the last few days and he was drinking 4-5 buckets a day, unlike him.

Now this morning he was agitated, stretching out, and acting a little colicky. Got some banamine and was quickly quite comfortable again. Pooping, eating, no problems just now when I called.

The clue that makes me wonder about this whole thing now, in retrospect? Our barn took a delivery of hay ONE WEEK ago, and sure enough--it's about 10% alfalfa. Normally we never buy it, but hay options are scarce this time of year up here in the north.

No more of that for him!

I doubt very much that the AMOUNT of alfalfa was enough to set him off--my orchard hay has more protein in it than most alfalfa does--but I do wonder if this is a manifestation of intolerance or allergy to the stuff.

Can't wait to never give it to him again and have the relatively calm, normal "hot" horse back!
    Click here before you buy.

I would be surprised that 10% alfalfa would make that much of a change. And the extra water intake / urination that is associated with alfalfa is due to the high protein content of alfalfa. If your hay is already high in protein....

but maybe he has an intolerance like you mention.

That said, mine also learns towards hot, but like yours, really isn’t much of a bucker, or a spooker – usually. But she has been a nutter this week, and just last night I decided, YEP – she has learned how to BUCK undersaddle.

I attributed her behavior this week to spring crazies.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I've definitely had and worked with horses that go all apeshit on alfalfa, but there's also just something about this week! My gelding has completely lost his mind. Went from a buckled down, work minded gentleman to a......I dunno, freak from hell? I can't even say he's up or fresh. He's just straight up CRAZY.

There must be some sort of weed or something that comes up spring and fall and causes the PU/PD thing. Some of ours will do just as you described in early fall and early spring - drink like crazy, pee frequently, even stretch and pee small amounts as if uncomfortable. It goes away as quickly and mysteriously as it begins.

I hope your boy finds his marbles soon, no matter how he lost them! 'Doesn't sound like either one of you are having much fun right now.
      "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
      http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

I had to switch to an 80% alfalfa mix this year....and no changes in my 6 horses, but they all look amazing coming out of a really crappy, long, cold, winter. My 33 year old TB usually loses at least 50 punds each winter but I can't tell if she's lost any this season. About 6 years ago I had the exact same experience, with all different horses but the TB - no change in behavior at all but they looked really good at the end of winter. Perhaps alfalfa=hot is anecdotal? Or I'm very lucky?

Comment

• Original Poster

A weed would be a great explanation except not even WEEDS are coming up yet here. It's 35 degrees and FILTHY outside.

But JackieBlue, that's an interesting observation you made--have never noticed it before with this or any other horse. One of the many down-sides of boarding, and since my "at home" horses live outside it's hard to track how much they drink OR pee.

I'm not at all ready to condemn alfalfa completely, because I've fed it to lots of other horses before with ZERO problems and it's marvelous stuff for putting on a little bloom, IMO. But this horse isn't getting any more if I can help it.

Comment

I grew up mostly feeding alfalfa and our horses were all fabulous.

We now own three horses who are highly affected by it. First one is my mom's mare - she's a Friesian cross with the low energy, mellow kind of attitude which made her a great pick for Mom as a trail horse and fun mostly w/t ride. When we still boarded she kept getting worse and worse, making up things to spook at, taking off at shadows or less. Mom could ride through that all, but she didn't *want* to! One day I caught the barn workers feeding her. She was supposed to get 2 lbs of alfalfa a meal simply because she was fat, but I saw them feeding her a full, large flake. I immediately had them stop all alfalfa, and she immediately returned to the packer we had purchased and hasn't changed since.

My rescue mare isn't rideable, but still it doesn't make her nutty. It just increases her energy some - she tends to keep herself at a good weight regardless of amount fed, and if fed more alfalfa runs more.

My TB can have a small amount of alfalfa and be fine, but if he gets too much he turns into a spookmonster. He's normally high energy but mellow at the same time barring unusual circumstances, but he gets very high energy at times. He's with a trainer right now who thought he seemed a bit thin and started feeding him more alfalfa and two or three days later had a ride he wasn't sure he would return from when my horse went nuts out on the trail. Reduced the alfalfa, and he was fine. Then a couple weeks ago he had lost a little weight with a weather change and my trainer upped his alfalfa.... and I was the one who rode him when he was feeling nutty. We just kept the whole ride at a canter since that's his most controllable gait, and when I told my trainer about it, sure enough - he had upped alfalfa and immediately took it back down. I actually had a stretch where he was nutty at home and discovered my mom had been giving him too much alfalfa - we had extremely leafy alfalfa and it was denser than our previous shipment, and she was giving him more rather than less. In his case I definitely think it is related to the amount of protein and energy it provides rather than alfalfa itself being evil or anything. I wouldn't be surprised if the Friesian cross has some kind of intolerance, though, for the effect it has on her where it's almost like she's hallucinating.
            If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
            -meupatdoes

Comment

It has always been my non-Tb's that are sensitive to alfalfa. My conn/tb will bounce off the walls on alfalfa. He is already a hot horse but it just puts him over the edge. I look back to his competition career when I didn't know as much about feed and feed him 6lbs of TC complete a day. Um, yeah he was nuts. No wonder. He is a horse that can't handle sugar. He eats 1lb of ration balancer and anything more affects his sanity

The Tb's all seem to do just fine on my alfalfa hay but I figure their metabolism can handle it. It seems like once they fill out and become easier keepers than I can transition them to timothy withou them losing weight/condition.
              http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

I wouldn't think just 10% alfalfa would make that much difference--but then you never know. If he is being boarded who feeds and supplies the grain? It could be he is getting more than he needs. Could also be that he is just feeling really, really, really good after a long awful winter ( we are still having it here). My horses do better on alfalfa mix and they do in fact seem to have more energy than when on straight grass hay alone.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by candyappy View Post
                  I wouldn't think just 10% alfalfa would make that much difference--but then you never know. If he is being boarded who feeds and supplies the grain? It could be he is getting more than he needs. Could also be that he is just feeling really, really, really good after a long awful winter ( we are still having it here). My horses do better on alfalfa mix and they do in fact seem to have more energy than when on straight grass hay alone.

My general sense is that a true *sensitivity* (you could even say allergy) means an animal can react to even small amounts. I don't think there's anything special or extreme, calorie-wise in alfalfa that could cause this type of thing, if it's even a real association. Like I said, my 2nd cutting orchard hay rivals or beats your average alfalfa in the nutrient category but doesn't faze this horse at all. Who knows?

It isn't "after" a long, awful winter here yet, unfortunately. We're still in it.

The hay is normally bought a year at a time, but this past year the barn couldn't get enough so this one time a "late winter" purchase had to be made and we got the best quality that was available. We didn't make the alfalfa connection (again, not sure there IS one, but I'm not anxious to try again and find out!) until after they'd all been eating it for a week. The other horses, including my big Irish mare, are doing just fine on it and it is apparently quite tasty.

I'm definitely not an alfalfa hater. But I think this horse might be!

Comment

I used to blame alfalfa too. I suspect it's the spring sillies.

Comment

The sudden PU/PD would have me calling the Vet. How old is the horse? If teenage, that could be your first PPID (aka Cushings) symptom. If you are not already feeding magnesium, maybe try adding some to the diet to see if that helps. Alfalfa is high in calcium, which IIRC could cause a relative mineral imbalance of Mag, since mineral ratios are apparently just as important for horses as absolute values.
                      Jeanie
                      RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

• Original Poster

I did call the vet. He agreed with our assessment and plan: one dose of banamine, pull the hay, watch and see. Tonight he's bright and cheerful, eating the grass hay, pooping and peeing. Still drinking a lot of water but we're being vigilant. Didn't have time to ride him today nor did I think it appropriate but hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to see how he feels. The GOD AWFUL weather and limited turnout is not helping, but the camping out and excess urinating would not fall into my "spring foolishness" column, with this or any other horse.

He's an 8 year old pinto, unknown breeding. He gets a mineral/vitamin supplement with lots of magnesium and our soil is loaded with it. I acknowledge that magnesium is important but am completely unconvinced that it is the culprit in 9 out of 10 horse maladies as seems to be the fashionable thinking nowadays.

Comment

Interesting, just a little hay can do all this to a horse?
                          Go figure.
                          Charlie Piccione
                          Natural Performance Hoof Care

Comment

Horse I'm currently riding was high as a kite when we put him on orch/super heavy alfalfa bales. He was also on Previcox at the time, but he was on previcox for about 6 weeks.... and this hay started getting mixed in about 2 weeks in and went totally to it about a week later. He literally felt like he was going to combust every ride... jumping I felt like speed racer and my arms were getting pulled so much! He's been getting 1 cup alfalfa pellets a day for ages and been fine on orch/light alfalfa Nov-Jan. Anyway pulled him off that to straight orchard and within a week I finally could get on without feeling like he was going to go buck crazy. Have no idea if it was the level of alfalfa he was getting or something else in those bales, but that was the only change in his diet/environment.
                            Custom Painted Brushes: spcustombrushes@gmail.com
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/SP-Cus...75042339173555

Comment

I LOVE alfalfa and would feed it straight to my horse if I had the opportunity. I've fed it straight to plenty of others and the only side effect I've had is happy, glossy, plump horses who need relatively small amounts of grain.

THAT BEING SAID, I bet you are spot on and this is an allergy or sensitivity. No more alf for that spotted dude, for sure!!!
                              Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Charlie Piccione View Post
                                Interesting, just a little hay can do all this to a horse?
                                Go figure.
                                Exposure to an allergen, regardless of the source, can trigger a reaction in a susceptible individual. Doesn't matter if it's hay, grain, a treat, a weed, a medication, or something they lick out of another horse's bucket.

Doing my detective work tonight, he's been on a handful of different grain products in the 1.5 years I've had him, and sure enough, the alfalfa-containing products correspond pretty well to his nuttier periods.

Ugh, what a pain. But calm Boscoe is SO much cooler than "I see dead people" Boscoe, and seeing him acting uncomfortable even for one day is enough to make the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                  Exposure to an allergen, regardless of the source, can trigger a reaction in a susceptible individual. Doesn't matter if it's hay, grain, a treat, a weed, a medication, or something they lick out of another horse's bucket.
                                  BUT it should be relatively straightforward to identify whether this is/is not an allergy state ...

Comment

• Original Poster

An elimination diet is simple and straightforward enough for me. I just don't have to give him alfalfa--there are plenty of products without it. I'm also not completely convinced that this is some singular "eureka" type of discovery that will suddenly make a hot, fizzy horse into a phlegmatic dead-head who never flicks an ear. Perish the thought! Unless the colicky, uncomfortable stuff persists or gets worse, I'm willing to label this whole thing as "presumed intolerance" and simply get rid of the offending ingredient and see what happens.

Comment

Well, so much for my "this is just a crazy week" theory. My boy has been SO nuts the last 2 days that I gave him the day off to carefully check tack and go over him with a fine toothed comb. Imagine my shock (and GUILT) when I discovered that my Bates saddle (Caprilli Close Contact) had lost a gullet screw! My poor boy has been getting gouged by his saddle and I thought he'd simply lost his mind! I'm off to report myself to Animal Control.
                                      I hope the elimination diet provides the desired result, but if not, be sure to poke around for other causes of his unusual behavior. I know you wouldn't be anything but utterly thorough.
                                      "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
                                      http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

• Original Poster

Yours seems like an even easier "fix"!

I'm anxious to see how he is this weekend and going forward.

Comment

Working...
                                        X