• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse NQR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse NQR

I have a 16 yr old Arab gelding that has never been sick before (knock on wood) He always dunks his hay in his water when he is in his stall, when he is out in the pasture he does not dunk it just eats it. I moved him to a new place 2 weeks ago. He doesn't dunk his hay anymore, just on occasion. He does have a bucket and auto waterer in his stall. Well last night he stopped eating. He was passing manure but wouldnt eat. I walked him and gace him banamine. His heart rate good, temp good, no "colic signs" and a half hour after getting the banamine he ate his grain and hay and drank some water. This morning he seems alert, temp fine etc but wont eat his grain or hay. He has poop in his stall and he did pee. I am at a loss as to what this could be. Grain has not changed. Anyone have any ideas???

Definitely warrants a call into your vet, but my suspicion would be ulcers.

Comment

Could be a problem with his teeth too. Have they been checked lately?

Comment

Another vote for ulcers. You recently moved him, that is stressful, stress causes ulcers, and a major symptom is losing appetite/going off feed.
        "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

I'd say get the vet to look at his teeth and also possibly ulcers since he was moved.
          Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Magics Mom, my horse (12 yrs.) has dunked his hay when in a stall his entire life. Serial dunker. In turn out, just like your guy, he'll eat without dunking, unless the hay is placed right next to the trough and then he'll happily dunk away. And, like your guy, when I moved him a year ago, he quit dunking. It was the first sign of a major battle to come, so I hope your guy has a different reason for changing his habits. My boy quickly developed other signs and was eventually diagnosed with EPM and Lyme and then I found that he'd also torn his pectoral muscles and tendons, most likely while struggling with the unsteadiness and ataxia - a terribly debilitating and painful injury. As he recovered, he began dunking again, but I started giving him Gatorade almost immediately after the dunking stopped because his water intake had clearly decreased and I was having none of that. Fortunately, as it turns out, there is nothing he loves more than lemon-lime Gatorade and just increasing his level of hydration made such a difference in his comfort level throughout his illness. He gets his "Gators" now after work and anyone can tell that it's the highlight of his day.
            If your horse's water intake is down with the lack of dunking try to find something he really enjoys drinking to keep him as hydrated as he would be if he were happily dunking away. I reached for Gatorade b/c I hoped that the fluids + electrolytes would be palatable to him that way and they were. It was fortunate that he liked the lemon-lime best because I buy the powder and mix it as strong or as weak as I like. I didn't feel comfortable just adding salt or electrolytes to whatever I could get him to eat without knowing FOR SURE that he'd drink after eating.
            I also got fluids into him with wet feed. When he decided eating was overrated (shortly after he quit dunking), I added soaked alfalfa pellets to his diet. He'd eat some grain, but he wasn't touching his hay and he'd always been a hay vacuum. He LOVED the soaked alfalfa pellets and would clean up every last juicy, slurpy bite.
            He never had a fever, never acted colicky and it all started with "he's just not quite right". Kudos to you for being on top of your horse's normal habits and behavior and for noticing when those are altered. I hope it's just the stress of moving and that he's right as rain in no time.
            "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
            http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

• Original Poster

JackieBlue - that is exactly him.

I went out at lunch and checked on him again. I gave him some sweet fed over his oats, he did eat some of them put his hay in a tub of water, he started eating a little of that and gave him some banamine - his temp, heart rate, gut sounds and lungs sound good. He is still passing manure - however when I pinch his skin on his neck it doesn't go back like it should - I think he is dehydrated. I have a call into the vet right now. His stall is usually pretty wet which is why I bed him deep, and it hasn't been wet since we moved there - I noticed that right away but his stall is usually cleaned about an hour before I get there. I put it together this morning when I went out before work and still not wet.

I never thought of gatoraide - I will never complain about his disgusting dunking habit again, I am not sure why he stopped dunking his hay. Its the same alfalfa mix, he has a water bucket to dunk in and his auto waterer to drink out of. I dont think he is bothered by the move he has been all over and nothing phases him, plus my other boys are always with him.

His teeth were done this spring (March). He has never been sick since I bought him as a 5 yr old. He has had lameness issues but never sick - this is totally new for him

Thanks for all the ideas hopefully the vet will call soon.

Comment

If he has uclers, the banamine is just going to make them worse, not to mention the possibility of colitis/renal issues if he is dehydrated, so I wouldn't give him anymore until you talk to a vet.
                I love cats, I love every single cat....
                So anyway I am a cat lover
                And I love to run.

Comment

Yep, my boy's stall is always a soggy mess. Goes hand in hand with all the dunking. We call him The Swamp Thing. ;-). I LOVE horses that dunk. You rarely have to worry about their hydration and, as you're now discovering, they let you know when they're feeling even a little bit off.
                  "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen

Comment

With the suspicion of ulcers (from his recent move) i would forego any grain, esp. sweet feed

Comment

Originally posted by Magics Mom View Post
                      I have a 16 yr old Arab gelding that has never been sick before (knock on wood) He always dunks his hay in his water when he is in his stall, when he is out in the pasture he does not dunk it just eats it. I moved him to a new place 2 weeks ago. He doesn't dunk his hay anymore, just on occasion. He does have a bucket and auto waterer in his stall. Well last night he stopped eating. He was passing manure but wouldnt eat. I walked him and gace him banamine. His heart rate good, temp good, no "colic signs" and a half hour after getting the banamine he ate his grain and hay and drank some water. This morning he seems alert, temp fine etc but wont eat his grain or hay. He has poop in his stall and he did pee. I am at a loss as to what this could be. Grain has not changed. Anyone have any ideas???
                      Get the vet to do some blookwork. Rule out kidney failure. My former "dunker" started showing symptoms like this, finally progressed to not eating at all. Bloodwork showed chronic kidney failure. Better wishes for you!
                      "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

• Original Poster

Vet was out and tubed him with water and oil. They said he was dehydrated, everything else looked good. They pulled blood will see this morning what that brings. He ate all his grain and is working on his hay this morning, his hay is in a bucket full of water so he is making his soup again. I think I am going to start him on smartgut just to be safe. I will never complain again about having a dunker!

Comment

On a side note, my horse is a dunker at some barns and not at others. He seems to only like to dunk into automatic waters. I think he knows that way he can keep his water fresh and eat his hay wet. With just buckets, it very very rare for him to dunk.
                          I love cats, I love every single cat....
                          So anyway I am a cat lover
                          And I love to run.

Comment

Magics Mom, how is your boy doing?

Comment

Did you happen to look in his mouth or at his new pasture? We had an OTTB who would get horrid mouth sores after I mowed his fields. He always seemed colicky but then just when I was thinking he had an impaction, he'd poop. I finally figured out he was eating buttercup clippings in the field which were making the inside of his mouth raw and sore, hence the lack of appetite. How's yours doing now, OP?
                              Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

• Original Poster

He is eating again and back to light work. We are putting his hay into water and I fed him some alfalfa cubes watered down for a week. He is back to drinking, getting enough water on his own without the cubes now. I did order smart gut from smartpak to start him on just for precaution. The BO said she doesn't mind watering his hay for him instead of getting him to dunk his hay himself, so we are going to continue with that, I thought that would be more work for her, but she said it was fine. She takes care of the boys really good. He is also eating his oats again without any hesitation. Hopefully all will continue. Thank you very much for asking.

I didn't check his pasture - he has only been out a handful of times since it has been raining here nonstop for 2 weeks. Everything is under water or mud

Comment

YAY! What a fantastic update! I'm so glad to hear he's acting more like himself. Maybe the move was tougher on him than he was letting on? I hope he continues to thrive at the new place!

Comment

Working...
                                  X