• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What do you think of these feet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Yes it is exactly the word I intended to use.

You got an objective opinion of the photos from me. To reiterate, they do not contain enough information and detail to evaluate the feet. Some pictures are worth 1000 words. These aren't worth the bandwidth it took to post them. So now you have to make up for the situation with words to describe what cannot be discerned from the inadequate images.

So you continue remediating the history.

Correcting the history would imply that it had been incorrect initially. That's not the case. Perhaps incomplete, but not incorrect. I have neither the time nor the inclination to share a horse's entire via internet.

You have now admitted above that you deliberately left out anything about lameness at the beginning of the thread in order for folks to make up their minds based only on the images.

Admitted?? Am I in court now? My question was, "What do you think of these feet?" That's really all I wanted to know. And that's why I shared photos of the feet. I'm not looking for a diagnosis. Just an informal opinion of the feet. So I tried to avoiding muddying the water with extraneous information. All I want and wanted to know is, "Do these feet look as f'ed up as I think they do."

You already had amateurs ready to throw the farrier under the bus based on whatever the pictures reveal (even if they have to use their imaginations to see it.) The over fences performance flies in the face of the superficial examination of the pictures.

Not at all. The over fences performance just shows that the horse has talent and heart. And that, in order to progress, he'd benefit from as ideal a foot as possible. I simply wanted to point out that he works hard and that he has more need, from a performance standpoint, for correct distal limb alignment than a pasture puff or weekend trail horse. I imagine that the riders who've weighed in understood why that information was shared.

That is when you realized that you had to provide some remedial information about lameness - but not until post 14. At which point you begin to contradict what you posted in #7.
    There was never any contradiction. You were confrontational from the beginning and seemed to think I was deluded in thinking this horse could benefit from a different farrier. So I mentioned the lameness issues as one of the reasons that I think a farrier change is in order. Again, with my initial question, the history of lameness was irrelevant. I didn't ask what do you think of this horse? Why do you think he's lame? What should I do to improve his feet? Or anything along those lines. I simply asked, "What do you think of these feet?"
    To think that lameness, intermittent or otherwise, and a successful show record is a contradiction only demonstrates ignorance of the horse show world. Sad, I know. But true.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

Why is it that an argument that would be uncomfortable in person is riveting online?

Comment

I'm taking quite a bit of amusement at someone telling a professional who offered information that she has no idea what she's talking about and throws out terms he thinks she's not familiar with....and I'm not talking about farriery lol
        Kerri

Comment

Tom your being childish. If you don't have any advice to give to this person just leave. This forum is to "help" people who are looking for advice not to insult them.

Comment

Originally posted by PonyGirl15 View Post
            Tom your being childish.
            Is it childish to not jump to conclusions without supporting evidence?

If you don't have any advice to give to this person just leave.
            I gave advice and examples on what is required in the way of images for evaluating feet. If the OP ever gets around to posting useful images, then I will make an evaluation.

This forum is to "help" people who are looking for advice not to insult them.
            Exactly what have I said that is insulting to anyone? Do you think the OP should feel insulted because I said the images were inadequate for foot evaluation purposes? Do you think the OP should feel insulted by me asking her what she would do to improve the horse's performance immediately following a post of information that indicates good performance?

And why should I and everyone else not feel insulted when we're deliberately being asked to speculate on incomplete information?

Comment

Yes, those feet look pretty messed-up to me, especially the fronts. And if he's experiencing front-end lameness, why hasn't the owner had the hooves X-rayed? I would start there, and see if you can convince the owner to switch to a different hoof care provider who can help the horse.
              Topline Leather -- Bespoke, handwoven browbands & accessories customized with Swarovski crystals, gemstones, & glass seed beads. The original crystal braid & crystal spike browbands!

Comment

How did I know this thread would be a train wreck before I ever opened it? Because it concerned a horse's feet, that's why. Horses feet have become like horse slaughter on this board; something that always goes off the rails due to a few posters who are invariably nasty to someone, usually the OP. In this case it seems like the farriers take any criticism of any farriers anywhere personally. No matter. It isn't going to change. Horse feet is not a topic that we can discuss on COTH.

Jackie Blue, there is absolutely no point with responding to Tom's posts. There is noting you can say that will change this to a civil discussion with differing opinions welcome.
                "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
                  Is it childish to not jump to conclusions without supporting evidence?

I gave advice and examples on what is required in the way of images for evaluating feet. If the OP ever gets around to posting useful images, then I will make an evaluation.

Exactly what have I said that is insulting to anyone? Do you think the OP should feel insulted because I said the images were inadequate for foot evaluation purposes? Do you think the OP should feel insulted by me asking her what she would do to improve the horse's performance immediately following a post of information that indicates good performance?

And why should I and everyone else not feel insulted when we're deliberately being asked to speculate on incomplete information?
                  So, now you feel insulted? I feel like I've entered some alternate reality. I've given enough information for the question I've asked and I'm happy to provide answers to other posters' questions.
                  Look Tom, from the first time you posted, when you assumed I wanted to shoe the horse, you seem to think you know me. But, clearly, you don't. I don't shoe horses. You also seem to have an axe to grind with whomever you think I am. At this point I'm fairly certain any opinion you might share if I were to post new pictures would be just as colored by your preconceptions as your previous posts have been. Between a sick daughter and too many horses to ride, please forgive me for not rushing out to take new photos for you to bash.
                  I've always respected you and your level of knowledge. I imagine I still do. But your interpersonal skills are sorely lacking and it's a darn shame.
                  "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
                  http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

The lower left pic of the horse's leg, from the knee down, looks slightly like a "coon" footed conformation issue to me. That is very difficult to get right. Too long a toes causes problems and too short a toe causes problems as do too low a heel or high a heel. Just my observation. I'll place my helmet on now..LOL

Comment

Apparently to have an opinion about anything hoof related, you need to be a hoof genius, camera expert, who knows what else. These hoof threads are ridiculous and its the same two genii who cause all the fuss.

Shes not asking for a professional opinion. Just a layman's opinion. Like we do here on COTH.

Wish you two would go back to your farrier board and stay there.

Comment

I normally call the vet if my horse is lame. I'd go to my farrier in some cases but not for undiagnosed lameness.
                        The toes look long in the picture but I don't see anything that screams dump this farrier. I'm in no way an expert so take this for what it's worth.

Comment

um, those hooves are wonky. That's my very unprofessional opinion

Comment

Originally posted by pal-o-mino View Post
                            Apparently to have an opinion about anything hoof related, you need to be a hoof genius, camera expert, who knows what else. These hoof threads are ridiculous and its the same two genii who cause all the fuss.

Shes not asking for a professional opinion. Just a layman's opinion. Like we do here on COTH.

Wish you two would go back to your farrier board and stay there.
                            Thank you for again providing the evidence that you are a Fluff Bunny who also suffers from TSS.

Further, Jackie should be getting and considering only professional opinions because, generally speaking, when it comes to the subject of hoof care/problems/etc, it is demonstrable that a layman's opinion(yours for example) ain't worth squat.

Comment

Thank you for again providing the evidence that you are a Fluff Bunny who also suffers from TSS.

Just curious, what is TSS????
                              We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

So much for me learning anything about trimming feet here-not that I want to do it myself-I have just been thinking that my guy is trimmed a bit long in the toe. I think I'll leave this alone.

Comment

Terminal Stable Stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Burten View Post

Further, Jackie should be getting and considering only professional opinions because, generally speaking, when it comes to the subject of hoof care/problems/etc, it is demonstrable that a layman's opinion(yours for example) ain't worth squat.
                                    Wrong again.

Comment

As promised privately

1st set of photos:
                                      Horse has "Hi-Lo/Up-Down syndrome with the RF being high with stacked heels and a dished toe and the LF being long toed-low heeled with what seems to me to be a tending towards a negative plane coffin bone(which can only be determined by radiographs). There is coronary jamming at appx. the medial toe pillar of the RF. As expected, the contra-lateral hinds, to a lesser degree, exhibit the same conformational discrepancies. Though it may be due to the horse standing on unlevel ground, there seems to be some M-L balance issues. In one of the photos, the RF knee looks to have a knot on the medial front of its knee(eg: it is not 'flat kneed' )

2nd st of photos:
                                      More confirmation of my first observations with the addition of significant coronary jamming(upwards dislocation) in the hinds.

3rd st of photos:
                                      Further confirmation/more of the same.

4th set of photos:
                                      Again, more confirmation of the problems that I see.

So, what to do? Find a farrier well versed and successful in dealing with Hi-Lo syndrome. The precise manner of dealing with this horse's issues is not a discussion to be had without actually seeing the horse and having 'hoof in hand'. Suffice to say that as presented, this is not how *I* would handle this horse's hoof care. And, it is most definitely not a discussion to be had by amateurs and dilettantes.

Out of curiosity, does this horse have any trouble taking or maintaining its right lead? Does the saddle slip in either direction? If so, which direction?* Does this horse forge or pull shoes? If so, which side?**

*my bet, to the right
                                      ** my bet, right side
                                      Extra credit: Why?

Comment

Originally posted by JackieBlue View Post
                                        in fact, that his movement is noticeably uneven and muscling in the forearms is asymmetric.
                                        This is not necessarily lameness per se, though it is a definition(gait-wise) of 'unsoundness'. Though in this case, I'd sure want a full lameness exam that also evaluated that right knee, and included better hoof radiographs, hoof tester use and flexion tests that included, at a minimum, all joints from and including, the knee, down. And those flexion tests should take place on a variety of surfaces including, hard ground, soft ground, uneven ground, slopes, etc. One of the vets with whom I work has a gravel parking lot with areas that have different sized gravel, a crowned asphalt road with sloped drainage ditches, and a flat grassy area. All of which are used during flexion tests and lameness exams.

Many/most horses with Hi-Lo syndrome have this gait aberration and people spend a lot of time and money trying to fix a non- existent lameness, when the problem is one of mechanics. Further, people, vets included spend their time trying to 'fix' the front end and ignoring the hind end. Well folks, you can manage the front end but you won't 'fix the front end. And if the hind end is ignored, you might just as well spend your time, effort and money on something that won't give you headaches and heartaches. By the way, IMNTBCHO, from a farrier perspective, it is much easier to manage the hind end than it is to manage the front end.

And for those who like to set their saddle either on or really tight behind the withers, all you are doing is exacerbating the problem and getting in the horse's way. And as long as you engage in that practice, nothing anyone else does is going to be able to really help the horse. One more thing. Except when you are in the show ring and being judged, post the Hi side diagonal. Extra credit: Why?
                                        And, if your instructor hasn't suggested that you do that, as well as adjusting the saddle location, you should be asking yourself, "Why"? And, ignorance is no excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieBlue View Post
                                          Signs at this time are: limping (RF, which is his more upright foot.)
                                          Is he limping or just moving short strided? And, with horses with his bio-mechanical issues, there is a difference. It is also possible that there is something going on in his knee that is exacerbated by his bio-mechanical hoof issue.

Comment

Working...
                                          X