Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Your experiences with shockwave and mesotherapy for back pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your experiences with shockwave and mesotherapy for back pain

So has anyone had great results with these treatments for their horse? I am cautiously pessimistic right now because this is yet another treatment my vet recommended after a number of others have not had significant improvements. He did the SW and Meso yesterday and he wants me to just lunge her for 2 weeks and see where we are at. Have already tried injections in the back and SI (90 days ago now). Have tried a number of other things with no results (chiro, acupuncture, ulcer treatment, repro exam/regumate, changed diet, robaxin, recently changed saddles, time off with lunging only)

Quick background, horse is backsore but we don't really have a diagnosis (have done full workup/lameness exam, radiographs and U/S of spine) Vet suspected Kissing Spine but that was not confirmed once we did more radiographs (T13-15 are close but not touching) This vets equipment is limited and I am pushing for a bone scan. However, he wants me to wait and see if this treatment works prior to doing a bone scan.

Has anyone had a good experience with this after other efforts had failed? I am pretty much ready to call and schedule a bone scan . . . . .

DD's pony and another mare in our barn were diagnosed with kissing spine. Did the robaxin, Tildren and shockwave, no response. Sent both of them to the clinic for a bone scan. Neither of them lit up on the kissing spines. However, the vet we are working with told us that when she finds radiographic kissing spine she goes looking further back to the lumbar region and usually finds facets with arthritic changes. These facets lit up on the bone scan on both mares. She is thinking that maybe the impaired mobility of the kissing spine area helps create the arthritic changes in the facets. She has also found that just injecting the ks area doesn't work but when she injects the facets in the lumbar she gets a good response.

Pony is now back in work and is 100% improved (she had been at the point that she was at times unrideable - wouldn't go forward, bucking and kicking out like crazy). The other mare goes back to work this Weds and we hope to see the same wonderful results.

Comment

I've had great results with both, though, they're usually where I would start. I've used mesotherapy on many, many horses, and they have all found a good amount of relief with it (with the exception of my current horse who had a horrible allergic reaction that went on for ages. No clue if it helped him because his skin was on fire for weeks afterward ).

I've used shockwave less often on backs, occasionally in conjunction with another treatment (Tildren, meso, injections), or alone (my horse has gotten alone). I would say all results have been positive, but to varying degrees. Some only seem to get minor relief, others (like mine) are almost instantly improved.

I think lungeing is a good plan, because movement helps A LOT. I have had a couple of vets have me lunge the horse long and low (using a Pessoa rig or something else) to encourage them to lift and use their back and get some strength in the muscles, which should help.

Hope you get some relief!
      Amanda

Comment

Did 3 treatments of this about 1 month apart for my gelding with KS. That combined with rehabbing back muscles did the trick. The meso/SW helped break up the muscle spasms so he could use the muscles in his back.
        Good luck,
        PKN

Comment

My horse with kissing spines did not respond at all to shockwave and back injections. We only did it once, hit him with "everything" to see if there was any improvement, planning to do less the next time ... But no change at all. He was a difficult case as it really wasn't certain that the KS was his primary issue. Vets were stumped, and this was after two bone scans (year apart), tons of diagnostics and treatments, and pow wows between pretty much every lameness vet in the area plus all their friends and colleagues from around the country. The only thing we did not try was exorcism. He was nicknamed Diablo for a reason.

Since you've already treated, I'd give it the suggested time and see where you are. Bone scans are useful, but not always the clear picture we want them to be. We did two because the first showed a few hot spots, including the back where radiographs showed pretty significant KS. After first, lots of treatments were done, including the SW and injections, with no real change. So "hope" with the 2nd bone scan was that it might reveal some changes, like we helped one area so now we are left with this other one. Nope. Looked the same.

Good luck. I know your frustration, as I've been there.

Comment

my gelding was almost unchanged about the first treatment and adjustment to saddle. It may take more txtmts than just one, in my case 3 plus months of rehab. But you need a trainer who can really help you do the rehab. I could not have done it on my own, because he REALLY didn't want to use those muscles. I spent 4 months walking him 5-6 days a week. He was so sore initially, he wouldn't go downhill unmounted!

Comment

One other comment...not my horse, but one I knew that my vet treated with mesotherapy did make a huge turnaround. I believe his issue was in the neck, and they saw a big improvement. I do not, however, know how it went in the long run.
              Horse went from unrideable to rideable (and showing, I think?), but I haven't seen him in awhile to know how he is now.

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. Really helps to hear these stories. Horsepoor--wow, sorry about your horse--I feel like we are starting down your path. It sounds like my low expectations are pretty realistic. It may or may not work for her--or it may take multiple treatments and months of rehab.

Yellowbritches, I am lunging the horse in a chambon de gogue and I've done some long lining with her as well. The annoying thing is that she looks great, works happily in all 3 gaits. . . . on_the_lunge. It's only when we add weight that she is obviously in pain. She's been on that program for a while now and her back is building muscle (although it was never atrophied) This stumps my vet as well--he says her back looks to be in great shape. Arghhh.

So, the vets claim that she doesn't have KS--only that the vertebrae are "close".

I found this great article that made me more certain that I would like a diagnosis before we start applying more "treatments".

http://www.equineshockwave.com/pdfs/...-back-pain.pdf

Comment

My student's horse has a history of back pain, LONG story short, tried shockwave last year for the first time. I was skeptical to be honest. The results were just short of a miracle. I cannot describe how much better he got, it was amazing.

Comment

Shock wave is better, but I usually start with Miso anyway for some reason. Maybe because it is cheaper. But it is not covered by insurance, whereas shock wave perhaps is-

Comment

A horse at the barn that I'm at had been treated for KS with Mesotherapy and it worked great for her. I think doing that and along with doing belly lifts, carrot stretches and exercises to strengthen the back is also useful in the long run.

Comment

I finally went to a bone scan for my horse with mystery lameness, and we did not get a conclusive diagnosis or treatment plan from that. Just be prepared for there to be a lot of seemingly unrelated little tiny things on the bone scan that do not give you a focused idea of what to do next.
                        Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Comment

Having gone through a few bone scans with different horses (I am horsePOOR for a reason ), you do have to be prepared to find nothing much. They might light up all over, so you have lots of things to chase, or not much at all, or something in between. In all cases, I had to keep the horse in work in the time preceding so they have something to show on the bone scan. You don't want to lay them up, have their issue go quiet, and then the scan picks up nothing. For two of mine, the bone scan was pretty conclusive and led us to the right place to do further diagnostics and later treatment. The two scans on the KS horse were not terrifically helpful. I guess they did rule out some stuff, but never gave us an aha! moment and that can be very frustrating, but I was well prepared for that possibility.

Comment

I've had shockwave done on my two top horses (both in the SI region) in conjunction with chiro/acupuncture and it made a big difference in their ability to "hold" the adjustments my vet/chiro was making. But I wouldn't expect it to make a big difference without supporting therapies, though. Maybe lunging and getting the horse really swinging through the back would do it, but I would want a body worker of some sort working on the back with the SWT. It's certainly where I've seen the biggest differences on mine.

Best of luck to you. Nothing worse than something you can't quite put your finger on.

Comment

Working...
                            X