• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Your Horses Routine Care

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

I should clarify.

What I meant by built a little crooked is that she is not text book perfect confirmation. Her legs could be a little straighter, but it is not obvious.

Comment

There is this phenomenon at some barns where the amount of maintenance your horse requires is some sort of status symbol. It seems the more your horse "needs," the better your horse must be. When you combine it with the guilty absentee-parent complex many boarder-owners have, it can get out of control.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for maintenance and preventative maintenance as needed. But Pookie doesn't need 42 supplements, quarterly joint injections, corrective shoes, and regular visits from the masseuse and acupuncturist just to prove that he/she is a "good" horse.
      Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

My one gelding doesn't have the best back conformation and gets back sore anytime his work load increases (usually spring), when he's in heavy work, or when it's really cold. Basically, without regular chiropracting, he would always be sore. He gets done every time the chiropractor is out, usually every 4-5 weeks. He also gets monthly legend.

My other gelding is older and slightly arthritic. He gets hock injections every 6 months or so, which make a HUGE difference in his soundness. He's not in hard work though and isn't asked to really use himself, so he gets chiropracted rarely. If he's a bit stiff or crooked, it doesn't really matter.

Comment

My beloved 5-year-old mare is my first horse, so I'm still sorting out what is value-added and what isn't. I honestly don't know where I stand on everything yet, so for now I tend to err on the side of "more is better" and "fix little things now to avoid big vet bills later." She gets:

-- lots of daily turnout, with a buddy
          -- a multivitamin, SmartOmega and electrolyte supplements (like me, she's on a perpetual diet, bless her heart) ETA: and I've had the vet check her nutrient/mineral levels a couple times, plan to do that once a year or so
          -- really good, well-rounded training
          -- shoes in front because she needs them (slightly thin soles upfront)
          -- dental 2x annually, might go up to quarterly as she seems to get sharp fast
          -- regular and appropriate deworming, fecals and vaccinations, of course
          -- saddle fit every couple months (she's growing a lot)
          -- chiro or massage each month or so, alternating
          -- I ice her hocks after every hard ride except in winter, sometimes front legs
          -- regular slightly-over-the-top grooming/mini-massage/butt-scratching/stretching/pampering sessions from me

No injections. I plan to xray points of potential concern every year or so and defer to my vet on when, if ever, I need to start injections.

I'm curious about Back On Track but haven't made up my mind about whether to invest in it yet.

If there is anything I haven't thought of that I should know about, I'd love to hear about it!!!

Comment

My young mare gets basics (floats, de-wormers after fecal tests, regular farrier work, vaccinations etc) plus daily supplements.

I have her on:
            - a hoof supplement because her feet need major improvement
            - a vitamin E supplement because the county I live in is naturally vit E deficient and she only gets limited access to fresh grass
            - SmartTendon as I am more worried about soft tissues than joints but is also contains MSM.

In the summer I will be putting her on an electrolyte. It's very hot and humid here so she will be sweating quite a bit every day.

I may eventually have a massage therapist look at her once I've got the saddle fit issues worked out.

Comment

Just ask your vet. Mine was here yesterday to do Spring shots and suggested an adjustment for my guy.

Comment

The best maintenance plan you can have is a regular veterinary evaluation. My vet watches my horse go on hard and soft ground, straight and circle, and under saddle doing his normal job twice a year. If she seems something, we flex him, or x-ray, or ultrasound, or whatever we need to get some information. Then we discuss what if any additional support he needs to keep doing his job.

Comment

My horse is in moderate to hard work 5-6 days/week, training PSG. Many people at my stable regularly do chiro, acupuncture, and massage work, Adequan or other joint injections, and I think everyone is on various supplements. A few people have some crazy massage machine as well.

When my horse started bucking over the winter I had a massage therapist come, but she said she couldn't see any issues and the massage didn't seem to make any difference. Between reports from the vet, massage therapist, and saddle fitter, he doesn't seem to have any physical issues, so the bucking sadly seemed to be about the weather + my riding I was really hoping there was something else I could blame aside from myself.

Now he just gets joint supplements along with things like flax and Finishing Touch in addition to plain old farrier services every 6 weeks, vaccines, floating his teeth twice a year, and getting clipped in the fall. Aside from that, regular saddle fitting is the only extra thing I do because that really does affect him a lot - saddle fit can turn him from a monster to an angel and vice versa. I am open to chiro/massage/acupuncture but he doesn't seem to need them. I would avoid Adequan and other injectables until the need is clearly present due to the risk inherent in any injection process.

He also has a Back on Track blanket that his back seemed to like over the winter. He hates the cold.

The horses that do get a lot of care at my barn usually don't have any specific issues, it is just preventative and I suspect that sometimes the owner's feelings benefit more than the horse. But even so, I don't think anyone is making any financial sacrifices for these services and the horses seem happy, so what's the harm?

Comment

"My own experience of chiropractic is that it does nothing unless there is one particular, focal problem that can be addressed, which I've had happen to me twice with great relief." Quote- Deltawave.

Well said.
                    In my case the relief was wonderful, and working eith that particular chiropracter helped enormously. Others? Forget it.

Tried Cosequin-for me-no change. I do like my NASAIDS, and use them for my horses. Other than specific medications for specific conditions, my guys survive on lots of hay, minimal grain, and vitamins in winter.( I have to do something!)
                    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

I'm at a barn where there are some horses on a variety of supplements and/or treatments and some on none. Workloads vary as well from pasture pets to fairly competitive lower-level eventers (Novice-Training). Everyone shares information and there is more cooperation rather than pressure/status to be using certain supplements/treatments or certain amounts of supplements/treatments.

My gelding is 12 years old and we do very intro level eventing (aiming for our first event at starter this year). He has mild arthritis, diagnosed via vet flexions, but has always been sound. He has been barefoot the past year, but we will be putting shoes on when the ground dries up a bit as he had trouble last year when the ground got hard (before I get flamed: I got injured at the end of the summer and his workload basically went down to nothing - just light arena work with a leaser - which was the reason for staying barefoot last year as he was staying off the trails and not jumping). He gets his teeth floated regularly, chiro every 3 months, and massage as needed. He gets a bit stiff in his poll/neck occasionally and has knocked some other areas out of alignment. Saddle fit has been also been checked and will be checked again in a couple of months.

For supplements, I've found he does best on SmartFlex Senior (herb-free). We tried Cosequin and I didn't see a big difference in him while he was on it. I also had him do two loading doses of Adequan, six months apart, last year. He was particularly stiff coming back into work after a period of stall rest (bad medical colic) and then again after my injury. Since then, and using the SmartFlex Senior, I've seen no need to do another round of Adequan.

I guess my philosophy is do what works for your horse. If it works and your horse is sound/happy, why change? At the same time, I try to keep myself open-minded to other treatments, supplements, options, etc. that others may be using and may be out there. I never know when I'll find something that works better or is more cost-effective.

Comment

- Chiro every 6 weeks
                        - Farrier every 6 weeks
                        - Saddle fitting 2-3 times a year
                        - Joint injections as needed (so far just once for hocks and SI)
                        - MSM, Cosequin, Fish oil, Flax, and Fasttrack in AM feed

I have a lot of faith in my chiropractor and he really knows my girl. He will pinpoint subtle things I've noticed on the ground or undersaddle within minutes of starting to work on her. I can see by how much she adjusts and her reactions during the adjustment that she really appreciates and needs regular treatment.

I haven't been blown away by the massage therapy I've seen but I think that is more tied to not finding the right person. If I ever find someone I'd like to get them in a regular rotation.

I treat my mare like a horse but she's also in her late teens so I like providing more support when possible.

Comment

Don't get involved in the arms race. Every horse is different--feed and care for the one YOU have.

Comment

Originally posted by Cindyg View Post
                            Don't succumb to peer pressure! If it's not broke, don't fix it!
                            THIS! There are some very earnest ammies who feel that "more" care always equals "better" care--and they have no problem paying the bills for all the bells and whistles. I feel that the only time "maintenance" of the invasive kind should be performed on a SOUND horse is for a high-value animal performing very demanding work---3'6" and above, 3-day at Preliminary and above, or Dressage above 4th Level. Supplements should be by vet prescription for a specific condition that actually exists only.

What you want/need to do in order to keep a lame or marginally/occasionally sound horse in some kind of work is a more complicated question. Just make sure the treatments are actually warranted, are actually proven to work (as in, you see a real difference) and don't be sucked in by snake-oil advertising.

Comment

I agree, lots of different approaches and obviously a lot depends on what the horse is doing and what your plans for him are? Our horses are competitive athletes (dressage) and so I believe in treating them as such. Generally, all of our horses get iced on all four legs (cannons and hocks) as well as the centurion blanket (electro/magnetic therapy blanket) after every workout. (In a recent talk Dr. Hilary Clayton said that regular icing is known to prevent suspensory injuries and my vet is big on icing as an injury preventative so we do this religiously). All of the horses from 5 yrs on get Adequan once per month as a preventative as well and all are on Corta Flex though I have gone back and forth with the feed through joint supplements. I think if you are going to spend the money and have to choose, the Adequan/Hyonate gives a better bang for your buck. Massage therapy: the horses love it, I am not so sure it make a big difference....

It also probably goes without saying but we are big believers in excellent footing and excellent farrier care and to me these are must haves in terms of managing equine athletes and keeping them sound. If we are talking about feeding we are also of the opinion that horses need to have roughage in front of them almost all the time to maintain good health...so the easy keepers are fed grass/timothy hay five times per day and the others get a more calorie dense hay free choice.

When it comes to the older horses with known issues obviously those horses are dealt with a bit differently/require more maintenance. The horse that are working at or close to the FEI levels do generally require more invasive maintenance (joint injections), sometimes Tildren, more Adequan ect to keep them tip top. Really depends on the horse though....

I think it takes a real team to keep a performance horse fit, healthy and sound and I believe that preventative maintenance plays a significant role. Why wait until a horse is "broke" to fix him when there are ways in which you can increase the chances of him lasting longer and/or prevent injury/illness??
                              www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

My point is - horses do things while we aren't watching, and it's body issues which can to easily creep up and suddenly blindside you, when it might well have been something you could have prevented with having a chiro or MT take a good look at the horse even just twice a year.
                                Yep. Also, have you moved up a level/increased work load recently? My TB had been feeling a bit off, so to speak, and acting weird...not wanting to travel straight, being super braced...when the chiro was out yesterday she discovered his jaw was out, his right hip was out, and his whole back was super tight. No falls or casting of himself that we saw, but who knows. He does play hard with his neighbor over their corral fences.

My friend's gelding was super out of whack as well..different symptoms, but same thing. We never saw a fall or injury, but his whole body was tense, tight, and just "out".

What had changed in both horses was work load/types. They have been using their bodies differently and are in much, MUCH better shape than they were a few weeks ago. They are being asked to carry themselves properly. There was no significant "event" that we knew about, but they still had surprising results.
                                runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

Originally posted by runNjump86 View Post
                                  My TB had been feeling a bit off, so to speak, and acting weird...not wanting to travel straight, being super braced...when the chiro was out yesterday she discovered his jaw was out, his right hip was out, and his whole back was super tight.
                                  The vast majority of horses rotate their mandible in the same direction when they are you eating. As a result most horses sharpen up more on their right side then on their left. This sharpness eventually becomes painful as the enamel points cut the soft tissue of the cheek. Many horses will find ways to travel that alleviate the discomfort and bracing or stiffening are common complaints.
                                  http://www.traditionalequinedentistry.com/

Comment

I'm a minimal interventionist and leave well alone.
                                    My horses are out 24/7. They eat out, run out, and get saddled up for endurance training. They eat what I call a muesli mix and added salt daily along with all the grass they can eat. They get rugged in the cooler weather. Yearly teeth checks, I trim them myself, and their hooves are just fine. Worming etc is a given - twice a year.

But what I DO do, is a regular/weekly Masterson bodywork session. Buying the book/dvd was the best thing I have done, and it keeps me informed as to how the horses are feeling. Mostly, they are 100%, and just love their sessions, but I did get the chiro to work on my boy's SI after he slipped over in the paddock showing off - such a thump on his side! - and he was guarding his back afterwards. The bodywork tells me that he is fine.

So, I would say, be confident that YOUR horse is fine. Don't get caught up in the supplements/alternative therapists competition - unless you want to of course lol.

Comment

My mare had an injury a couple of years ago that with chiro and accupuncture, she was able to come back to full work( for us). She gets a joint supplement and a couple times per year she gets chiro/accupuncture. Other than that she is ridden about 5 days per week usually at least 2 of those out on trail. We dabble in different things from low level dressage, lots of trail riding and trail competitions, some low level CT's, hunter paces, cattle work, whatever strikes my fancy. My mare is pretty gung ho and usually doesn't "complain" if she is having problems. I have had both chiro and am currently receiving accupuncture about once per month for a chronic injury, so I know it makes you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by Toothgrinder View Post
                                        The vast majority of horses rotate their mandible in the same direction when they are you eating. As a result most horses sharpen up more on their right side then on their left. This sharpness eventually becomes painful as the enamel points cut the soft tissue of the cheek. Many horses will find ways to travel that alleviate the discomfort and bracing or stiffening are common complaints.
                                        He just had his teeth done in January. They definitely weren't pretty, but it had also been a little over a year since he was last done (not my doing, previous owner). Vet suggested a 6 month cycle for him, which I agree with.

Right now he gets adjusted by the chiro every 6 weeks until he doesn't have much change, then every 12 weeks. The difference I felt after the first adjustment was tremendous...his back was actually swinging! Both times since then he has had enough things out of place to warrant a 6 week schedule. I see the chiro once a month and feel amazing afterwards. I'm more than happy to keep both of my guys on a regular chiro schedule, especially since, *knock on wood*, they don't need many supplements.

Both boys (8yo TB, 11yo Arab/QH, both eventers) get:
                                        Triple Crown Senior, different amounts
                                        TC 30% to balance out vitamins
                                        Electrolytes
                                        Glucosamine/MSM supplement
                                        Flax
                                        And the TB gets Calf Manna until the bag runs out.
                                        runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

I don't think that spending a bunch of money on any preventative injections, etc is necessary. If your horse has arthritis or a known issue, injections can be great- but there's no use in throwing money away.

The best "preventative maintenance" is a good diet and regular exercise, including properly warming up and cooling down. Lots of walking at the beginning and end of a ride is probably one thing that tons of people skip that would help a lot of horses avoid injuries and post-ride swelling.

Mine get an 80/20 Orchard/Alfalfa mix, Alfalfa/Bermuda Pellets, just enough TC Complete to mix my supplements with, and then an enzyme/probiotic/joint/herbal supplement (it's all one). I also get teeth done 2x/year, and chiro as needed when I feel there is a problem (usually a couple times a year). I ice legs after hard rides, and always lots and lots of walking to warm up and cool out, otherwise my main horse has a tendency to get stiff, although she seems to be better lately.

Comment

Working...
                                          X