• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Possum!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possum!!!!!

I have been invaded by a possum! Of course, my hay/feed barn looked like a cozy den for him and he tried to take up residence there. I kicked him out Monday and blocked the cat hole, but he was in there yesterday curled up by my round bale!!! YIKES!!! Of course I am an over-reactor, so I now think all my horses will get EPM. I cleaned up all the hay on the ground, where he slept and peeled off the outer layer of the bale. I did not see any evidence of fecal matter but I am still a bit freaked out.

Since he was playing "possum" I was able to scoop him up in a large shovel and deposit him on my neighbors property (heavily wooded). What are the chances he comes back?

He may come back. If he does I would take him much further away to a nice spot that isn't near any other farms for him to move into.
    I totally understand the EPM scare and agree that it isn't OK for him to be hanging around your feed. With that said, I love possums :-D
    They're certainly the easiest of the wild animals to trap and move!
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

I don't know how big your farm is- but unless it's a legendary Texas ranch- I don't think a property next to yours is far enough away. Look for him again.

Comment

Shoot on sight.
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
          Shoot on sight.
          I second this.

If an opossum wants to hang out in my barn it will become a less than alive opossum.

I will not assume that someone else wants it on their property.

Comment

SSS. If you or Mr. Spot can't, call Mr. C'Mare. He's got several firearm options and is a very good shot
            <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well crap!!! I was hoping he would want to stay in the woods. My neighbor won't mind because it is just raw land with a small partial house. I was wondering if he woyuld return I read they move on after 2-3 days, is that true? If I find him again and he is playing possum, I will relocate him to a timber area 10 miles down the road.

Comment

Possums are awfu.

Kill it and leave it's carcass for the buzzards. Well away from your house. Carrion eaters need food too.

Screwing around with a live one will eventually get you hurt. Set a trap and execute it or shoot it on sight.

Possums love cat food. They are slow and will usually just sit and stare at you while you shoot them. Head shots work better than body shots, it's tough to kill a possum with a body shot, but a head shot just makes them fall over.

make sure before you aim you are aware of what is behind your target.

Comment

Originally posted by spotnnotfarm View Post
                  I read they move on after 2-3 days, is that true? If I find him again and he is playing possum, I will relocate him to a timber area 10 miles down the road.
                  I believe this is true; that they tend not to stay in any one area but continually move.

Which is why I don't bother to shoot them or freak out; I'm sure there are possums that cross my pastures on their way elsewhere that I don't see. I certainly don't encourage them to stay here, but I don't really see any reason to kill them on sight. While they are not good to have around horses, they have good qualities in the food chain - such as eating slugs and insects that can invade gardens, etc.

Comment

Because they are so easy to trap in a havaheart and relocate, that is what I do. Would not feel good about killing a healthy creature for simply existing.

After a spate of trappings and relocatings, I began to wonder if the same ones were coming back. So I sprayed the last one's butt with marker paint. Will post if I sight him!
                    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

Originally posted by ToTheNines View Post
                      After a spate of trappings and relocatings, I began to wonder if the same ones were coming back.
                      Maybe it is someone else dropping their trapped and unwanted critters off at your place because they think you will not mind them.

Comment

I don't want to totally be a debbie downer here- and the info I have is really old- like from way back in the 1990s when the whole EPM scare was catching on and gaining public awareness...

but I thought that the protozoa which the possums carry which makes horses sick- can be in their poop- and it can be in your hay from out in the hayfield (you don't need a possum in your hayloft to have infected hay) and that if carrion birds eat dead possums (read: ROADKILL GALORE) that the disease is then carried and spread from the poop of the bird- so leaving a dead possum out just widens the food chain spread across the pastures and hayfields.

So my understanding from back then was that killing possums without disposing of them just worsens the problem - maybe this has been disproven since then- I'd love to know if it has.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                          Maybe it is someone else dropping their trapped and unwanted critters off at your place because they think you will not mind them.

Too funny! I out in the country so its not difficult to find a remote place to relocate them!
                          Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

He WILL be back. It's coming from someone who has found quite a few possums in my farm/in my barn. I also have had 2 horses with EPM.

Shoot the possum.
                            Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
                            White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

If you've ever had a horse with EPM or a boarder with EPM, you will shoot them. Guaranteed.

Comment

My favorite horse ever had EPM but I have no desire to kill every possum I see.

Comment

I do.
                                  Click here before you buy.

Comment

I agree with others - kill it and bury the carcass. We have a stray dog (can I still call him that after 7 months?) that has delivered 3 dead possums to the back door in the last month. He's well on the way to achieving permanent residency.
                                    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Comment

EPM will be back for certain. OH yeah. I would FREAK if I saw one on the hay. "Annie get your gun!"

Kill him and feed him to the buzzards, or place in trash bag.

You want his possible EPM laden body OFF THE PROPERTY.

Maybe you need to borrow Debbie's stray dog? (see above post).

I would trap that EPMsucker in a heart beat. If you shoot it, they are hard to kill for some reason. Have lots of bullets on hand, lots. They are easy to trap imo, and ime.

OMG they smell horrible too. ICK. Their poop is naaaaaaaasty.

My friends have had EPM horses(many died they never lived on my property), I have had no EPM horses, but I have *every* desire to kill them ALL!!!!!!!! on the face of the earth!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input. I went to the spot where I deposited the possum and found that he was not playing possum at all but had passed away. So, I guess he is really gone for good! I raked up all the loose hay he was laying in and inspect all my bales (thankfully, I need to get hay this weekend so there was not much) and did not find anywhere he went to the restroom. While I am sure I have possums on my property, I have not had one visable before. I am going to dispose of the raked hay well away from the horses so there will not be any risk.

For those of you that had horses with EPM, did they all recover?

Comment

Working...
                                        X