• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sore feet! DMSO? Iodine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skyedragon View Post
    Well he was just about sound at the walk tonight, still dead lame at the trot. He's started doing this thing at the walk where he basically flings his entire right leg out and lands flat footed or toe first on that leg. I noticed it yesterday and thought it was just part of him being lame, but it was there again tonight.
    . . .
    What you are describing sounds like foot flutter lameness. It results from pressure on the circumflex nerve that runs directly below the tip of the coffin bone. The nerve impulse to the horse feels similar to what you would feel when you hit your funny bone. The effect is a knee jerk reaction - literally. Usually there is enough thickness to the sole under the tip of the coffin bone that the circumflex nerve is well protected - that is unless someone removes that protection with a hoof knife.

Adjacent to the circumflex nerve is the circumflex vein and artery, which provide circulation to the lamina. When the sole is thinned across the toe, these structures are easily damaged - which can result in circulation problems for the lamina and result in an inflammatory response known as "laminitis."

Wish there were more good farriers in my area. There sure seem to be a lot of bad ones.
    Follow the money. Good farriers tend to gravitate toward demographic areas where their substantial investment in education is rewarded.

And overall I am just tired of all the drama that seems to surround horses and horse people.
    The drama has nothing to do with horses.

Comment

• Original Poster

So is this something that will go away once the sole is back to normal? Is there any perminant damage I should be concerned with? The first couple if days his feet were HOT to the touch. Bute seemed to help with that a lot. Last night they were back to cool. However I think I may have felt a pulse at the fetlock. Would feel it, check a min later and not feel it.
      Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
      The Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
        What you are describing sounds like foot flutter lameness. It results from pressure on the circumflex nerve that runs directly below the tip of the coffin bone. The nerve impulse to the horse feels similar to what you would feel when you hit your funny bone. The effect is a knee jerk reaction - literally. Usually there is enough thickness to the sole under the tip of the coffin bone that the circumflex nerve is well protected - that is unless someone removes that protection with a hoof knife.
        Tom--when you say a "knee jerk" reaction, can this include a jerky backward motion when you release the foot back to the ground (say, after picking out the hoof or other reason to hold the hoof up)?
        "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboymom View Post
          WAIT-I'm wrong, I am thinking of venice turpentine instead of iodine.
          This. My mare was sore this summer because of the hard dry ground (think rocked back on her front feet like founder). Farrier put turpentine on her soles once and I haven't had an issue out of her since.

Comment

Originally posted by monstrpony View Post
            Tom--when you say a "knee jerk" reaction, can this include a jerky backward motion when you release the foot back to the ground (say, after picking out the hoof or other reason to hold the hoof up)?
            No. Completely different situation.

Comment

So is this something that will go away once the sole is back to normal?
              Assuming it is allowed to get back to normal and not "normally" trimmed that way, you can expect a full recovery after a few months. Durasole is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by monstrpony View Post
                Originally posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
                No. Completely different situation.
                Do you know any possible causes of this? It's not that he jerks the foot away, but when it is released, there is a very fast jerk of the leg backward, toward the hind leg. Seems more like a reflex than anything intentional. Some people just shrug, a couple have said they thought it was something in the shoulder (including vets, farriers, and otherwise knowledgeable horsemen).
                "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

• Original Poster

Still lame as lame can be 11 days later. Put an epsom salt poultice on him last night and wrapped both feet in a diaper just in case it is in fact an abscess. Also going to start buting him at night so that he can hopefully be a little more comfortable while standing in his stall which is mats over concrete. Also going to buy extra shavings to hopefully make it softer.
                  The Blog

Comment

And your farrier still has done nothing to rectify the situation? You need a different farrier, and sooner rather than later. At a minimum, you should consider using The Stysrofoam Protocol http://www.hopeforsoundness.com/cms/...tructions.html And you don't have to use their styrofoam blocks. Simply go to Home Depot or the like and buy a sheet of the thickest styrofoam(solid, not granulated), usually its 2" thick, and cut pieces yourself. And use Gorilla Tape instead of Duct Tape. Or, get someone who knows how to apply hoof casting material with or without supplemental orthosis. There is also the Sigafoos glue-on cuffs/shoes solution http://www.soundhorse.com/. And, the Soft-Ride boot option http://www.softrideboots.com/Default.asp

Whatever you decide to do, you need to do it sooner rather than later, and IMNTBCHO, its already later.

Comment

Eleven days with sore feet? Have you had the vet out? That's a disaster just waiting to happen, if it hasn't already.

Correct me if I'm wrong Rick. If he were mine, the vet would have already been out for xrays. But, since that didn't happen, Magic Cushion or Styrofoam or both, deep, deep bedding and vet ASAP.

Comment

As noted, you are correct.

Comment

• Original Poster

Vet is being called in the morning. Problem is tonight his feet were cold and he appeared relatively sound at the walk on concrete. I didn't trot him though.The reason the vet hasn't been called yet is because one day he will appear totally normal and then the next day he will be dead lame. Have been yo-yoing like this for the past week.
                          The Blog

Comment

Vet is being called in the morning.
                            'bout time.. Make sure he brings his x-ray machine with him and gets some rads of those feet.
                            Problem is tonight his feet were cold and he appeared relatively sound at the walk on concrete.
                            What does "relatively sound" mean? Sound is as sound does..
                            The reason the vet hasn't been called yet is because one day he will appear totally normal and then the next day he will be dead lame. Have been yo-yoing like this for the past week.
                            That's not a reason, its an excuse. And, IMNTBCHO, a poor one at best.

It will be interesting to see when the vet gets out to your place and what s/he has to say after evaluating your horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Rick Burten View Post
                              'bout time.. Make sure he brings his x-ray machine with him and gets some rads of those feet.

What does "relatively sound" mean? Sound is as sound does..

That's not a reason, its an excuse. And, IMNTBCHO, a poor one at best.

It will be interesting to see when the vet gets out to your place and what s/he has to say after evaluating your horse.
                              Well I have had to reschedule twice now due to the vet having emergencies to go to. He is now hopefully coming out on Tuesday.

I guess by relatively sound I mean that he was no longer uncomfortable just being lead around the farm like he was originally, he is however still not sound enough to ride.
                              The Blog

Comment

Skyedragon, wish you could use mine, but he's not taking any more clients...I got damned lucky getting him (and that he is a neighbor). I feed him up a few times a year with banana muffins to keep him happy . I can give you the name of another farrier that you can try that is well liked privately and she may travel to you. Before my heart-farrier, I had one that, when I wanted to try barefoot on my mare, sored her up to prove she had "TB Feet" and could not go barefoot. Funny, she's been barefoot now for 6 years, and you know I ride hard.

Comment

Well I have had to reschedule twice now due to the vet having emergencies to go to. He is now hopefully coming out on Tuesday.
                                  And in his absence, what have you done/are you doing?
                                  I guess by relatively sound I mean that he was no longer uncomfortable just being lead around the farm like he was originally, he is however still not sound enough to ride.
                                  Again, what are you doing to palliate his pain/discomfort?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Rick Burten View Post
                                    And in his absence, what have you done/are you doing?

Again, what are you doing to palliate his pain/discomfort?
                                    I have been using Durasole and bute as needed. Thursday was kind of a breakthrough day actually, he was sound at the walk and sound going to the left at the trot, going to the right he was still sore. Today he was sound walk/trot going both directions.
                                    The Blog

Comment

Glad to hear he's doing well.

Comment

Is the fact that this horse is for sale the reason you've not aggressively paid for vet, different farrier, and soft-ride boots for treatment for him? (per your thread on boarding)

You are not going to be able to sell a lame horse. You have to get a competent farrier and vet and get the hooves taken care of. Has he had issues with lameness before this trimming? If you don't pay now to get him sound, you're going to get stuck with more expenses.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
                                          Is the fact that this horse is for sale the reason you've not aggressively paid for vet, different farrier, and soft-ride boots for treatment for him? (per your thread on boarding)

You are not going to be able to sell a lame horse. You have to get a competent farrier and vet and get the hooves taken care of. Has he had issues with lameness before this trimming? If you don't pay now to get him sound, you're going to get stuck with more expenses.
                                          I had an appointment with the vet, but had to cancel twice due to him having other emergencies and me being on a time crunch. As of right now Cody is sound, so I see no need to bring a vet in at this point. He will also hopefully be sold before I have to deal with the farrier issue again.
                                          The Blog

Comment

Working...
                                          X