• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pentosan questions from a vet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentosan questions from a vet

Hi guys, I spoke to my vet about getting Pentosan for my horse. I have a 17yo horse who I've just started eventing at the BN level.

When I restarted her it would feel like she "stepped in a hole" behind sometimes but got better as she got stronger. She's still a bit weak in one hind and a little tense in her back plus she works hard at her new job. I'd like to keep her at her best given that she is older and she does occasionally feel weak behind. Not lame, just a bit weak and I think if I put her on something she would improve.

My vet is a very good vet but doesn't do a ton of lameness issues and tends to be conservative, she has never heard of Pentosan. I sent her some research but she said that the info I sent her indicates it is only legal for use in horses in Australia. She does not like compounded solutions, pointing out how people getting back injections got sick from compounded products. She also says the risk of bleeding is too high.

She would rather I use a feed through formula for a few months and then consider Adequan.

I'm not interested in feed throughs, I don't think there's enough evidence to make them worth my while, and I've heard more good things about Pentosan then Adequan.

She said she'd be willing to read some more info if I could find it.

does anyone have any more info? I thought it was legal for us in horses in the US recently, and I didn't think the risk of bleeding was that high.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Mar. 22, 2013, 09:29 AM.
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

She said she'd be willing to read some more info if I could find it.
    If a drug comes along that I'm not familiar with I don't require that my patients educate me about it. I go and ask colleagues I respect, and pull out the books, papers, and journals and go look it up myself. As a last resort, I'd look at the company literature on the drug, but always with gigantic salt grains sprinkled everywhere.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Ivis.org
      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

That's pretty silly that your vet won't research it.

Comment

I think having a single minded rejection of compounding pharmacies is really ignorant. I would say this is a not a conservative vet, but a vet who is not very up to date. HUman physicians who need unique delivery systems for certain drugs use compounding pharmacies all the time. I know this was not your original question, but I agree with Deltawave. There are lots and lots of equine vets out there using Pentosan safely and with great results. WE are using a generic injectable glucosamine (similar to Adequan) from Wedgewood for $30 a bottle. It changed my dressage horse enormously. Ask your vet to explain what happens to feed through joint supplements in the equine gut.

Comment

Originally posted by Iberiansyes View Post
            I think having a single minded rejection of compounding pharmacies is really ignorant. I would say this is a not a conservative vet, but a vet who is not very up to date. HUman physicians who need unique delivery systems for certain drugs use compounding pharmacies all the time. I know this was not your original question, but I agree with Deltawave. There are lots and lots of equine vets out there using Pentosan safely and with great results. WE are using a generic injectable glucosamine (similar to Adequan) from Wedgewood for $30 a bottle. It changed my dressage horse enormously. Ask your vet to explain what happens to feed through joint supplements in the equine gut.
            On the other side, have you read the FDA report on Wedgewood?

Comment

My vet will not give her clients Pentosan (i.e. from Wedgewood), but she WILL give PentAussie. Maybe ask about getting PentAussie instead of the Pentosan?
              "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Comment

• Original Poster

I sent her this article originally
                http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm.../detail/775273

Is there some sort of difference in the approval in Australia v the US?

She has not heard of PentAussie either.
                http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just started giving my horse Pentosan after a year of on again off again lameness which adequan, feed throughs and legend were not fixing. I gave it as a last resort when steroid injections were not helping.
                  A month later, my horse is SOUND! Not just servicably sound but SOUND! I love it.

Comment

When I was researching, I think there was a paper written by vets out of Colorado comparing adequan legend and Orval's with some discussion on pentosan. You van try googling. I have to feed now, but later I can look for it.
                    Pkn

Comment

Originally posted by davistina67 View Post
                      On the other side, have you read the FDA report on Wedgewood?
                      Where did you find this?
                      ~Veronica
                      "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                      http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersO.../ucm340853.htm

Comment

Thanks!
                          ~Veronica

Comment

To put it in context, here is a list of FDA warning letters -

http://www.fda.gov/iceci/enforcement...rs/default.htm

You will find most pharmaceutical companies in there Or just do a google search combining "Wyeth" or "Pfizer" or "Norvatis" or etc. with "FDA warnings" (just to be clear, I picked companies whose products I use or have used and will continue to use).

Comment

Yeah, no place gets a 100% clean bill of health from those inspectors. Context, people.
                              Click here before you buy.

Comment

here is the article i was talking about

http://www.ker.com/library/proceedin...rt%20Horse.pdf

I think this is at least a good starting place. There are other articles by this same vet the different drugs used.

BTW, my vet is not too happy about pentosan either.
                                PKN

Comment

Just want to point out that a falling out feeling behind is usually caused by stifle issues...same for a "weak feeling" and getting better as the horse gets stronger. Also, the ouchy back will be from overcompensating for the stifle. You might want to find a good lameness vet to come out and take a look, to see if that's your problem, or if you have a few things going on...and the physical rehab for weak stifles sure is cheaper than just putting them on arthritis meds!
                                  "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                    Yeah, no place gets a 100% clean bill of health from those inspectors. Context, people.
                                    Understood, but I am still interested to read the report.
                                    ~Veronica

Comment

My vet actually is the one who suggested Pentosan and/or Pentaussie. As an aside, Pentosan is also a human drug. Both are legal to give to horses in the USA. You can order them directly from Australia in the 6 cc vials (which Wedgewood also stocks) or you can have Wedgewood or Precision pharmacy compound it in a larger size. I have found that Pentosan makes an enormous difference, whereas Adequan does not. I used Adequan for quite some time on my now 13 year old horse, as well as on my now 26 year old horse. I do give HA orally, and so give Pentosan supplementally. Just out of curiosity, how does your current vet feel about joint injections? Since she doesn't do a ton of lameness, it occurs to me that she just isn't in an area where she's going to be exposed to the need for more recent therapies, including joint injections. If you have to ability to go to a more "cutting edge" vet, who has more experience with sport horses, I think I would do so. If you are eventing, particularly with an older horse, you are going to need someone with that type of experience to keep your horse fully supported for the work you are asking him to do. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Ainsley688 View Post
                                        Just want to point out that a falling out feeling behind is usually caused by stifle issues...same for a "weak feeling" and getting better as the horse gets stronger. Also, the ouchy back will be from overcompensating for the stifle. You might want to find a good lameness vet to come out and take a look, to see if that's your problem, or if you have a few things going on...and the physical rehab for weak stifles sure is cheaper than just putting them on arthritis meds!
                                        Stifles was my first thought too, as my horse has a similar issue. Feels like they forgot to pick the foot up or it got stuck in a hole for a step. Random steps, generally when the horse is tired. My vet said the stifle was catching, not quite locking up but similar, just snagging. It had gotten pretty bad but when I moved barns he was out in a large field 24/7 and the issue has gone away, just by him being able to move around a lot freely. Would definitely get a second opinion from a vet who has more experiences with lameness.

Comment

Working...
                                        X