• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

TMJ Joint Irritation/Damage Post-Dental Float

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMJ Joint Irritation/Damage Post-Dental Float

Does anyone have experience with TMJ problems developing immediately post-floating? What were your horse's symptoms? What treatment did you pursue? And did the horse make a full recovery?

Thanks!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Some horses are sore due to the mouth speculum, especially if they were open really wide, or for a long time with no rest. This is especially true if they already had some arthritis there. I know folks who schedule a chiro visit after floating for this issue.
    Unless something really unusual went wrong, I don't know why the horse wouldn't be fine in a couple of days.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

A few years ago I had a horse develop pretty severe TMJ issues from a power float/speculum opened too wide and too long. Horse was fine before the float but literally could not turn left afterwards. Vet who did the float said, eh, I probably left the spec open wide for too long. She happily came back and injected the TMJ which solved the problem but the horse needed to be injected yearly for the rest of his show career. Never again will I let that happen! My horses are now floated the old fashioned way by hand--and not by THAT vet.
      Originally posted by EquineImagined
      My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Herbie19 View Post
        A few years ago I had a horse develop pretty severe TMJ issues from a power float/speculum opened too wide and too long. Horse was fine before the float but literally could not turn left afterwards. Vet who did the float said, eh, I probably left the spec open wide for too long. She happily came back and injected the TMJ which solved the problem but the horse needed to be injected yearly for the rest of his show career. Never again will I let that happen! My horses are now floated the old fashioned way by hand--and not by THAT vet.
        This sounds very similar to the situation I'm dealing with.

I've been violating one of my cardinal rules for a couple years now and letting the vet do my horses' dental work. I know better than this. *facepalm*

My 26 y/o with bad yet regularly maintained teeth was fine prior to floating. Now can't chew after floating-- can't eat grass, can't eat hay, not drinking much, been maintaining him on slurries of alfalfa pellet mush every few hours.

Vet who floated him says keep him on NSAIDs and "we can re-do him in a few days if it doesn't get better." Got a second opinion via phone from my more trusted vet who knows the horse well. Second vet is a couple hours away and I have to trailer to their offices now that I've moved. Second vet is concerned about potential TMJ joint problems and wants to see him if he doesn't regain his ability to chew by tomorrow.

I'm not really sure what the future holds at this point-- are his hay-eating days done? Is he going to need regular injections now? Or will this resolve on it's own with more time?
        Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

What are his teeth like? If he is getting smooth mouthed and loose teeth then yes, his hay day might be over. It really depends on the horse. If the horse has never had TMJ issues before I doubt that is the issue. How long ago did this happen and what are you giving him for pain?

Comment

• Original Poster

His teeth are bad. He is missing 2 incisors and 3 molars. His occlusal surfaces were still decent prior to floating, yet with all the missing teeth he developed a pretty significant wave in the 6 months since last exam. He has never had TMJ issues prior, but the topic came up when his incisors began to deteriorate about a year or two ago.

However, I stress, he was eating perfectly fine pre-floating. Which is why I'm very concerned (and frankly a bit miffed) if he can never eat hay again after a routine veterinary floating!

It's been 36 hrs, he was originally on 1g bute, switched to 500 mg banamine q12 hr per original vet's recommendation. And saline mouth flushes twice a day, which he actually seems to really enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post

I've been violating one of my cardinal rules for a couple years now and letting the vet do my horses' dental work. I know better than this. *facepalm*
              I still and always will use a vet for dental work--just not THAT vet! My current vet floats by hand and I've never had complications after, including the TMJ horse. He's now retired so it's hard to say if his TMJ issues are still there or not. He never had trouble eating/chewing--his issues were work related. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this.
              Originally posted by EquineImagined
              My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Comment

His teeth are bad. He is missing 2 incisors and 3 molars. His occlusal surfaces were still decent prior to floating, yet with all the missing teeth he developed a pretty significant wave in the 6 months since last exam. He has never had TMJ issues prior, but the topic came up when his incisors began to deteriorate about a year or two ago.

However, I stress, he was eating perfectly fine pre-floating. Which is why I'm very concerned (and frankly a bit miffed) if he can never eat hay again after a routine veterinary floating!

It's been 36 hrs, he was originally on 1g bute, switched to 500 mg banamine q12 hr per original vet's recommendation. And saline mouth flushes twice a day, which he actually seems to really enjoy.
                When you say the incisors began to deteriorate a couple years ago, it makes me think he may actually have hypercementosis. Unless there was some trauma to those teeth. It's pretty rare for horses to loose incisors. That would point a bit less to the TMJ being an issue at all.

I think it's a toss up if he will eat hay again. Missing 3 molars some horses will quid and others won't. If any more molars were disturbed during the float because of poor ligaments, which would of happened regardless of who floated him,, he may be on soaked food from here out.

Give it a couple weeks and see.

Comment

Are you sure that this is a TMJ issue, and he didn't have a tooth damaged/loosened by the work, or get cut by the equipment?
                  As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

Knew a horse that after being power floated for the first time, could not properly chew his hay, got an impaction colic, had to have surgery, and still had to eat a slurry six months later. This horse is in his late teens I believe. Finally had the chiro out who targeted the TMJ and horse visibly looked relieved after treatment and is slowly getting better at being able to chew. Luckily, not mine... But lesson learned vicariously - stick with traditional floating methods.

Comment

Had this happen once with one of my more petite TB mares. The dentist's assistant at the time was doing the work on her. The only thing we could figure is that becaues he had such big hands and fat arms, he kept the spec open too wide and for too long.

A few days of bute, and soaked feed/hay, she recovered just fine.

Since then my petite female dentist does her and releases the spec frequently during her dental work. Has never had a problem since.
                      www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                      "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                      Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

Well, it took me 2 weeks to have a normal feeling TMJ after having a tooth pulled, and I don't have to use a speculum! I definitely could NOT chew normally for a while, so I can imagine that would happen to a horse.

Hopefully there isn't anything else,like a cut tongue or gums from the float...I would have the vet check to see if it's just soreness from the TMJ, and then find a good chiro and massage therapist to help loosen things up.
                        "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

Now can't chew after floating-- can't eat grass, can't eat hay, not drinking much, been maintaining him on slurries of alfalfa pellet mush every few
                          IMO Sounds more like a response to overfloating. He already is missing 3 molars and so the teeth that oppose them are useless which amounts to 6 molars out of action. That's 25% of his chewing teeth gone. Now the floater says a wave has suddenly developed...which doesn't happen in geriatrics, his teeth erupt too slowly for a sudden wave compex popping up. The attempted fix is then to over grind the unopposed high teeth to reduce the "wave". Since the high teeth aren't opposed the pulping doesn't receed in these teeth as it would in a normal tooth. The living part of the tooth is closer to the surface. Overzealous grinding then exposes the living interior of the tooth and horse experiences symptoms like you've described. Once the swelling in his teeth goes down he may get back to eating if he still has enough occlusal surfaces.

Hypercementosis? " Nice smoke screen but it doesn't happen in molars. I think that's called baffle em with bulls**t.
                          http://www.traditionalequinedentistry.com/

Comment

What do you mean by "can't chew"- can't physically make the chewing motion? Or is chewing but is quidding everything?

This isn't because a vet did the float - this is because something else is going on. It may be something that vet did incorrectly, but trust me, more than one "dentist" has screwed up a horse's mouth

My vet has been going my horses' teeth as long as I've used her, which is about 23 years now. Everyone is always better in the end, and she's done wonderful magic on my OTTB mare who came to me with a terrible mouth and needing floating every 6 months for a couple of years. Now she's on about an 18 month schedule

Comment

• Original Poster

Update: vet checked him yesterday, sans speculum, and did not find any sharp points, cuts, or other problems with his teeth. I've felt his teeth myself, and while I'm no expert on teeth, he feels pretty "normal" for him. (A side note- I hate having to have "blind faith" in my dentists and vets when it comes to teeth... I really need to learn more in that area.)

He's coming around slowly. He is eating grass early yesterday and began eating hay yesterday night. He still seems like he's in a lot of pain when he chews hay and goes really slowly. But he's not quidding and he's finally chewing.

It's been stressful and frustrating, but it looks like he's recovering!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Toothgrinder View Post
                                IMO Sounds more like a response to overfloating. He already is missing 3 molars and so the teeth that oppose them are useless which amounts to 6 molars out of action. That's 25% of his chewing teeth gone. Now the floater says a wave has suddenly developed...which doesn't happen in geriatrics, his teeth erupt too slowly for a sudden wave compex popping up. The attempted fix is then to over grind the unopposed high teeth to reduce the "wave". Since the high teeth aren't opposed the pulping doesn't receed in these teeth as it would in a normal tooth. The living part of the tooth is closer to the surface. Overzealous grinding then exposes the living interior of the tooth and horse experiences symptoms like you've described. Once the swelling in his teeth goes down he may get back to eating if he still has enough occlusal surfaces.

Hypercementosis? " Nice smoke screen but it doesn't happen in molars. I think that's called baffle em with bulls**t.
                                Thanks for the explanation! That makes very much sense!

Comment

If you would have bothered to read you would see that the horse is missing incisors also. [edit] hypercementosis can cause issues with the incisors. [edit]
                                  Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 22, 2013, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davistina67 View Post
                                    If you would have bothered to read you would see that the horse is missing incisors also. [edit hypercementosis can cause issues with the incisors. [edit]
                                    I understand your posts perfectly. EOTRH is a well understood process and is simple to recognize. If this geriatric had it, it would have caused problems pre-float. You only bring it up to confuse the issue and the owner. [edit]
                                    Last edited by Moderator 1; Mar. 22, 2013, 03:33 PM.
                                    http://www.traditionalequinedentistry.com/

Comment

I understand your posts perfectly. EOTRH is a well understood process and is simple to recognize. If this geriatric had it, it would have caused problems pre-float. You only bring it up to confuse the issue and the owner. [edit]
                                      Haha, the post was pretty straight forward. [edit]

Comment

Please avoid the personal commentary and bickering and keep the focus on the main topic. We've edited a few recent posts.

Mod 1

Comment

Working...
                                        X