• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tapeworms-do they cause weight loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rodawn View Post
    Sorry, not true.

Adult or juvenile tapeworms cannot survive outside a host. If they are expelled, they die very quickly.
    Right, this applies to any of the parasites. They need a host to survive as adults.

Eggs are shed in segments which drop out through the feces and infect the soil, water, and whatever else they come in contact with. They can only develop if ingested in temperatures above freezing where they hatch and grow in the gut of the host.

The eggs do not cope well with freezing temperatures. Montana, like Alberta, gets very cold. This is also why experts will tell you sushi, raw fish, is safe to eat only IF it has been frozen prior. Not frozen, sushi is an excellent way to pick up tapeworm. Tapeworm eggs can quite happily transfer and live in just about any species of host, they're not too fussy and a dog can share his tapeworm with a horse or with you just as easily as your cat can.
    But, I was not talking just about tapeworms. Strongyles are an issue as well
    http://books.google.com/books?id=V2x...ngyles&f=false
    "In colder climates, the freezing temperatures will not kill strongyle eggs and the larvae can persist over the Winter"

The biggest issue with tapeworms is the mites which carry them. Horses don't get tapeworms from eating egg segments - eating them would digest them. This means you can have the cleanest pasture around, but that grass is still going to harbor the mites, so tapeworms are a risk.

Same with the strongyle eggs - eating them digests them, it's the larva of strongyles that has to be ingested, which is why the temperature range - 45-85 - is important in evaluating infection risk.

The tapeworm HAS to use the mite as the intermediary host for the horse - mite eats the egg, the egg develops in the mite, and that is what gets ingested by the horse and infects him.

So, if the horse basically never eats off the ground, even if he's in a high risk area, the risk of tapeworms is very low. The mites prefer grass, so places that are dry lots, whether by design or by nature, have low exposure.

If cold temps kill the mites, that's a different story

http://www.aaep.org/health_articles_...ly=true&id=256
    "Horse tapeworms are also unique in that they require an intermediate host, the oribatid (forage) mite, to complete their life cycle. Tapeworm eggs are passed with the manure of infected horses onto pasture, where forage mites ingest them. The immature tapeworm develops within the body cavity of the mite and is ingested by the grazing horse. When the horse digests the infested forage mite, the tapeworm is released and within 6-10 weeks develops into an adult that attaches to the horse’s intestine and the cycle starts all over again."

Comment

The equine tapeworms are Anoplocephala perfoliata, A magna, and Paranoplocephala mamillana, with the perfoliata being the most common in the US.

Those are different from the canine or feline tapes, Dipylidium caninum (both cats and dogs) and Dibothriocephalus latus and Spirometra mansonoides for cats. They don't share tapes, either species or transmission, with horses Even those have an intermediary host - the dogs/cats don't eat the tapeworm eggs, they get them from fleas or lice

Taenia taeniaformis is another type of tapeworm that one would get from uncooked meat/fish, or mice, etc - not going to be an issue for horses, but obviously one for cats/dogs.

Comment

Spring is when dung beetles (very beneficial!!!) are most active. Moxidectin does not kill dung beetles.

Ivermectin kills them splat

So, if you have options, use Quest Plus in Spring to leave the beetles alone. Use Equimax in the Fall when they aren't a big issue.

I too will never use Zimecterin Gold, not as long as Merial refuses to change whatever it is about the carrier ingredients that causes ulcerations

Comment

• Original Poster

JB thanks a ton for the info! I did notice that my typically worm resistant horses were the ones that didn't drop any weight. I used to do fecals on everyone when I worked at a vet clinic and had been tracking them; that was only a few years ago and I remember that vet saying we didn't need to worry about tapes in our area but I can't say he was super well-informed on the topic. I had been doing some research on the subject when I realized what I was probably dealing with but it kept seeming like colic kept being more of a symptom and we haven't had any colic at all. No diarrhea, no swelling; the horses have been bright and playing and energetic through the whole thing, just thin.

But what you say about the environment and conditions for tapes fits this place perfectly. The temperature ranges are ideal, the deer exposure, the whole thing.

I'll be doing the Quest Plus for them this spring. I did do the thinnest one and the oldest horse (33! not unusually thin but I knew she didn't have the margin to deal with a bad worm load) with the dd of pyrantel a couple weeks ago on a "just in case" basis from my reading here and they are showing improvement. I have just one more that I want to see improvement on and then I'll keep everyone in order.

I appreciate all the information!
          “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

Check w/ your vet, but my understanding is that Quest Plus can be dangerous for underweight horses.
            Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Hippolyta View Post
              In MN. I use the rotation rec'd by my vet & BO. We use the Zim. gold in fall & spring.
              Rotational deworming is not the latest recommendation. From the AAEP website: "Rotating anti-parasitic products every so often is slowly fading into history due to the new information available to veterinarians and horse owners. To increase efficacy, I am now recommending having fecal egg counts performed on horses before deworming. By doing this, we are decreasing the chances of parasite resistance which will keep our current dewormers working longer. Unfortunately, once the parasites become resistant to the deworming products on the market now, we will not have anything effective to keep our horses safe from intestinal worms. When we reach that point, more horses will become anemic and have greater risks of dying. To avoid getting to that stage, I highly recommend fecal egg counts. I am also having clients tell me that they are saving money by not having to deworm as often. I should also mention that pasture rotation is very important for horses that are constantly having a high fecal egg count and are needing to be dewormed several times a year."

Also, as others have noted, Zimectrin Gold has been shown to cause many horses to develop mouth & esophogeal ulcers. Why risk it, when Equimax has the exact same dewormers (ivermectin & praziquantel) but does not cause the ulcers?
              Topline Leather -- Bespoke, handwoven browbands & accessories customized with Swarovski crystals, gemstones, & glass seed beads. The original crystal braid & crystal spike browbands!

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                Spring is when dung beetles (very beneficial!!!) are most active. Moxidectin does not kill dung beetles.

Ivermectin kills them splat
                That's good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by ldaziens View Post
                  Check w/ your vet, but my understanding is that Quest Plus can be dangerous for underweight horses.
                  Yes, but "underweight" is a bit subjective A bit ribby isn't underweight in this context. Low 3 BCS, yes, I would avoid it like the plague

Moxidectin is stored in fat and released slowly, which is one reason it lasts in the system for about 12 weeks. The less body fat a horse has, the more you are "overdosing" him with a dose-by-weight.

Comment

For how long does ivermectin in horse dewormers kill dung beetles?

Comment

• Original Poster

They're 3 or 4-ish. Hard to tell with their winter coats they look light to normal until you touch them. I'm careful about Quest.

Ideally I do fecals and worm appropriately; here as I already said the vet care is limited. I know which of the horses are prone to worms and which are naturally resistant and I know I have a mare that needs a power pac or such once a year.

I like to save Quest as a wormer that I haven't used so I have an alternative if we run into something that seems resistant. There aren't a lot of horses here and not many people that are real up on their worming programs.
                      “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

Originally posted by grayarabpony View Post
                        For how long does ivermectin in horse dewormers kill dung beetles?
                        The only thing I've seen on it (and I haven't looked terribly hard) is that ivermectin in sheep manure says the half life is 7-10 days. But, I don't know at what level it's safe for the beetles.

Originally posted by cowboymom View Post
                        They're 3 or 4-ish. Hard to tell with their winter coats they look light to normal until you touch them. I'm careful about Quest.
                        If 3 is possible, then I wouldn't use Quest

Ideally I do fecals and worm appropriately; here as I already said the vet care is limited. I know which of the horses are prone to worms and which are naturally resistant and I know I have a mare that needs a power pac or such once a year.

I like to save Quest as a wormer that I haven't used so I have an alternative if we run into something that seems resistant. There aren't a lot of horses here and not many people that are real up on their worming programs.
                        If you use Quest just once a year, that's not over-doing it and will take the place of a Power Pack, and is highly, highly unlikely to lead to a resistance issue

You can use Horseman's Lab to do mail-order FECs. Without FECs, you truly don't know which horses are prone to worms. As well, with the Power Pack, you don't know if you have fenbendazole-resistant worms on your property without a FEC and FECRT, so the PP could be for nothing, or not doing a good job. If there aren't a lot of horses, the odds of having a high resistance is lower, but you still don't know.

Comment

Whatever you choose avoid Zimectrin Gold.

Comment

• Original Poster

Posting on here is always such a sticky wicket! lol It's hard to put the whole picture out there in a few paragraphs.

I have the same horses that I had when I was running the fecals but of course the worms and location are different now but my worm resistant horses are still the ones that look the best now. The one mare that is prone to the small strongles got a power pack the first time around and now she gets Quest instead. She's not one of the thin ones, she looks great. She used to be our only one that we had to worry about her weight. There are eight of them, all different ages and breeds. Most of them we've had for many years, one for a year and a half and one for almost a year. All were very very healthy and in good weight before we got here.

I am not considering Zimectrin Gold, heard too much about the mouth sores for too long. After hemming and hawing about dung beetles and safety the end result was I got Equimax for them. Like I said, Quest makes me nervous though I've never had a problem with it.

I'm going to check with the vet and see if he's set up for fecals yet and then send out if he isn't. Before deworming. Guesswork is as expensive as vet work. But if it's tapes they we'd be lucky if they showed up, right?

I'll report back.

Comment

Working...
                            X