• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Whats normal for a equine vet clinic and credit cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats normal for a equine vet clinic and credit cards

A couple of years ago the equine clinic I have been occasionally using on my horses took my credit card on file when I called in to pay an invoice. Since that time when they see my horses they will automatically apply the charge to my credit card without sending an invoice. This is not a complaint as I appreciate this vet clinic, but it had been kind of surprising when I am waiting on an invoice and happen to check with the credit card company to find out the charge has already been processed. Is this standard?

Thank in advance!

No. Not at mine and truthfully I'd be annoyed if they did not confirm with me to just willy nilly my credit card. Jmo.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Mine does that also. I really don't mind....gives me an extra month to pay. They probably just do it if you don't pay the day they are out. I know mine doesn't really invoice, pay at time of service is the norm. I do get a statement on what they charged my CC.

Comment

No, mine doesn't. They keep a credit card on file, and I need to pay by the end of the month.

Comment

Mine requires a card on file, I had to provide one when I filled out all the forms to become a client. My card is charged (the next day or up to a week after the visit, depending on when the vet files the invoice with the office) then the office sends me a recipt.
          Once I didn't have enough on my card and it declined, they just sent me an invoice and I called to pay over the phone, no extra charge.
          I don't mind it that much, and I usually have a good idea of how much the charge is going to be

Comment

my vet has standing instructions just to put things on my credit card. They politely send me, via email, an invoice for that month's work at the end of each month and bill the credit card once for that total. Works great for me!

They're also great about calling and saying things like: "hey maresy is due for her coggins in a few weeks;we'll be at your barn this Friday, want us to draw blood?"
            We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Charging your credit card without asking is not normal and totally uncool in my experience. My regular vet often kept my card number. It wasn't a requirement, but mostly they didn't dispose of the number after I had originally given it to them. They always sent a bill and expected me to call. They would have never charged the card without me calling. Sometimes when I paid my bill the person might say, Is this the card ending in xxx? But that was the limit of their use.

Comment

I do have a card on file with my vet, but I always expect (and have always gotten) an email asking if I'd like for them to run the card on file, plus an attached invoice. I like to approve the invoice before paying. There have been a few times (over 15 ish years of using this vet) that there was a mistake.
                Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
                White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

• Original Poster

Okay seems to be normal for some practices. Not a big deal. They used to always email me an invoice then I had to pay by the end of the month. I always paid the day of the appointment or as soon as I received an invoice.
                  Last edited by Fharoah; Mar. 12, 2013, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by AliCat518 View Post
                    I do have a card on file with my vet, but I always expect (and have always gotten) an email asking if I'd like for them to run the card on file, plus an attached invoice. I like to approve the invoice before paying. There have been a few times (over 15 ish years of using this vet) that there was a mistake.
                    Yes last summer they had a bunch of double charges, but it was an honest mistake and once I called in they fixed the mistake.
                    Last edited by Fharoah; Mar. 12, 2013, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by frisky View Post
                      Charging your credit card without asking is not normal and totally uncool in my experience. My regular vet often kept my card number. It wasn't a requirement, but mostly they didn't dispose of the number after I had originally given it to them. They always sent a bill and expected me to call. They would have never charged the card without me calling. Sometimes when I paid my bill the person might say, Is this the card ending in xxx? But that was the limit of their use.
                      This is what I would be most comfortable with. If they kept my credit card on file but emailed me an invoice allowing me to review the charges then call in and authorize the charge.

Comment

Standard practice is to email me the bill and ask if it is ok to run the charges on my card. I review charges and say yes, then they run the card.

I wouldn't be happy if they ran the charges before allowing me to review the bill and asking my permission. One time they charged me $216.00 for 12 tubes of bute, when I had bought only one tube....I brought it up and they corrected their error.

Comment

My card is on file but they don't charge it unless I call/email. Which is good, considering my last bill would have wiped me clean. I called and arranged payments over the next couple of weeks. I think I could set it up with them to run the card automatically or automatically up to a certain amount, but I just haven't done that.
                          Amanda

Comment

With my vet payment is due at the time services are rendered. They have a form to keep in your file for the credit card you would like them to use if you choose to pay that way. It is not a requirement to have one on file.

I am given a bill EACH AND EVERY TIME the vet visits that tells me what was done and how much it cost. I can choose to pay with cash, check, or charge.

If I choose to pay with the credit card, I get a copy of the charges sheet that day and a photocopy and a receipt from the credit card machine that day is sent to me through the mail.

I have only had one error made with the billing. I'm not quite sure how it happened, the vet's office isn't quite sure and the credit card company couldn't quite figure it out (not very reassuring), but I got double billed one time. It was taken care of immediately. And hasn't been a problem since. I have had dealings with this vet for over 20 years.

I like having the multiple payment options. And I understand it's a business for them and they need to be paid and be able to count on being paid in full in a timely manner.

Comment

My vet WILL NOT have my credit card number on file. Unless they 100% refuse services to me without one, I will never have a credit card on file with them. I can tell you DOZENS of stories of people being mistakenly charged or charged without their authorization. I don't keep that much of a line of credit to want to run that risk. I make a point to pay my bill on time or in a very, very reasonable fashion to avoid any hardships on either of us.

A word of warning-- it is not wise to give your vet your debit card information. A few years ago, my friend had a large vet balance, but was making regular payments (which was standard practice at this vet clinic). One month for the sake of convenience she used her debit card to make a payment. The next billing cycle the vet's office debited the ENTIRE remaining balance of her debit card without warning/prior authorization. Not only did it overdraft her account, but she ended up with hundreds of dollars in overage charges. Not cool.
                              Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I would ABSOLUTELY not allow any service or vet to charge my CC without an invoice!! Very bad and rude business practice!! My vet sends a bill and I pay by CC over the phone AFTER I have reviewed the bill!!
                                www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

I just call and pay.
                                  Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by rabicon View Post
                                    I just call and pay.
                                    This is what I prefer. Waiting for an invoice and calling the credit card company and realizing my credit card balance had gone increased over 2k from what it had without my knowledge was a bit of a surprise. This has happened a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by frisky View Post
                                      I know I opened an account with my vet but they said they would not keep the card on file for security. So I get an invoice at the end of the month and I call in my card number. Then they send me a receipt!
                                      The previous vet clinic worked the same way. They did not want to keep the card number on file!

Comment

I have a credit card on file with my vet, and have for the last 10 years. They always mail me an invoice, and then I call and tell them to go ahead and charge it. I like to have the credit card on file because, in the even I was out of town/unreachable and my horse colicked or needed treatment, they could go ahead and treat him. They do have an authorization letter from me regarding treating him up to a certain $$ amount in the event of an emergency, when I cannot be reached.

Comment

Working...
                                        X