• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is there an equine leptosperosis vaccine? And other rat-related ?'s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there an equine leptosperosis vaccine? And other rat-related ?'s

I know there's a canine leptosperosis vaccine, but I'm wondering if there is an equine version. Of course, I will call my vet but I figured I'd ask here first before I bother him.

The reason I'm asking is that my barn has recently started having a major rat problem. When I moved there in August, there were *none*, but it has been slowly getting worse. Over the past few weeks, whenever I check my horse's feed bin there is usually rat poop in there. Of course, I clean/bleach it on a daily basis since then, but I'm still worried about possible leptosperosis (and of course other diseases). I have a friend whose dad died from leptosperosis after eating fruit infected with either rat poop or pee, so I'm a bit sensitive about the issue.

I have told the caretaker repetaedly about the problem, and I know she has told the BO. A few months ago the BO put some rat poison out and it did kill one rat that I know of, but it did not kill them all, as I have seen them consistently. Recently, for a while nothing was done because the BO was very sick (he's an older guy) and the caretaker unfortunately doesn't have much authority to make decisions about stuff, especially if it involves spending money. But he just put more poison down last week. The caretaker says she has seen one dead rat since then, but I still see live ones and there is still rat poop in my horse's feed bin just about every day.

A while ago I had heard about rat traps that are like a little electrocution chamber, and I looked them up and found one here. I told the caretaker to please let the BO know that I am more than willing to order one if she (caretaker) will help me by checking it/disposing of dead rats every day, which she is willing to do (I would also check it in the evenings) and I will take the $$ out of my next board check. But the BO says it's too expensive and if I want to do that, it will be on my dime.

But doesn't the BO have *some* responsibility to take care of this problem? What if my horse does get sick, despite the fact that I have repeatedly brought up the fact that what they are doing is not working? I also worry about the poison--there are dogs out @ the barn, plus last time the poison was put out one of the dying rats ended up in one of the horse's water buckets. Not good.

I might just end up buying the electrocution trap myself, but it will definitely annoy me if I have to pay for it. Of course, my horse's health and well-being are more than worth it, but I feel that this is something the BO should pay for. I am currently the only boarder, but the BO has 4 horses and the caretaker has one (plus we might be getting a few more boarders soon), so it's not like my horse is the only one at risk here.

Sorry for the novel! I know it was mostly just a rant, but I really would like to know if anyone knows about the possibility of a vaccine, anyone who has experience with the electrocution traps, etc. Thanks!
    Topline Leather -- Bespoke, handwoven browbands & accessories customized with Swarovski crystals, gemstones, & glass seed beads. The original crystal braid & crystal spike browbands!

There is currently not a horse vaccine on the market, although there are vets working on developing one. We have tons of lepto around where I'm from, and the vet I work for at home has used the vaccine made for cattle on horses very successfully with few side effects. I would definitely talk to your vet about using the cattle vaccine since there are so many rats in your barn, lepto can cause devastating uveitis that often ends in blindness, as well as abortion in pregnant mares.

Comment

Don't know about a vaccine, but my experience with the electrocution things is that the rat ones will kill mice, but not rats. Then we tried this giant snap, jaws of death thing and it disappeared the first night.
      The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Not only do you have to worry about rats and mice, deer also can spread lepto through their urine as well.

If there were a lepto vaccine, my vet would give it to my horses. We have more deer than mice around here. And lepto can cause ERU as well as causing death.

I want to know why horses don't get the vaccine since there's been a vaccine for dogs for decades. Although I'm told there are more than a few strains of lepto that dogs can get. (And why don't we have a vaccine for EIA?)

Comment

My trainer has a horse that contracted Lepto, has gone through the cyclosporine implants and still has minor flare ups... It's pretty disheartening as this mare is soo talented and now she's basically "grounded" from showing because my trainer does not want to go through all the fuss of entering as event only to have the mare flare before it and have to scratch.

I inquired about the bovine vaccine with my vet. She does NOT recommend it lightly. Pretty serious side effects, "pretty rough on the horse and not guaranteed protection." A client of my trainer's also had a mare contract Lepto and they decided to vaccinate their gelding, blew up like a parade float! Very scary for a few days, but he did make a full recovery.

Comment

I don't have an answer for you on the lepto.

I had a rat problem in the old barn I use as a chicken coop and hay storage, among other things. I bought some rat zappers because I do not use poison.

Those suckers are great. You will need to change the batteries out eventually but it blinks to tell you when they are running low. If you have a real problem with rats then you'll need more than one rat zapper.

Rat problem. Solved.
            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

In the meantime can you try feeding in a rubber tub on the ground that just gets removed and flipped over after meals?

Comment

I've dealt with lepto and ERU. As far as I know (I'm not current), there are cattle vaccines, but not one specifically for horses.

There are many strains of lepto, and the cattle vaccines sometimes don't cover the ones which horses are more prone to get.

Also, you may run the risk of triggering ERU by administering the vaccine. I gave cattle vaccine to two of my horses many years ago, and both had major site reactions (couldn't move their neck for several days).
                My Equestrian Art Photography page

Comment

Sounds like you have three options. Continue to risk your horse picking up an infection, paying for the trap yourself or moving.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                    Sounds like you have three options. Continue to risk your horse picking up an infection, paying for the trap yourself or moving.
                    You're absolutely right, and I've been thinking I would have to buy one of the traps myself. I'm frustrated/angry that my BO won't buy it, and I certainly don't think I should have to take care of the rat problem myself since I'm a paying boarder, but that's really my only option. My horse has to have a stall w/attached paddock or he weaves like crazy, so moving really isn't an option because that set-up is very hard to find.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It sounds like the cattle vaccine isn't the best bet, as I certainly don't want to risk the possible side effects. Hopefully they will develop an equine version sometime soon. In the meantime, I'll just suck it up and buy one of the electrocution chambers myself.
                    Topline Leather -- Bespoke, handwoven browbands & accessories customized with Swarovski crystals, gemstones, & glass seed beads. The original crystal braid & crystal spike browbands!

Comment

Don't know about lepto but when we get rats in the barn we take the 22 with rat shot in it and shoot them. We go down late when the horses are out and those boogers will be running around so when can get them. Not ideal for your situation but a friend uses the sticky traps and it works great and they are cheap. Usually it's mice so not sure how for rats it would do.

We started shooting them because the little nasty things would eat anything out of the traps and never get caught. We were just fatting them up more. Even peanut butter would be gone but no rat. Used all sizes of traps with no avail. So we did what we had to.
                      Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

We use the feed tubs on the floor only during feeding time, then take them out and store them upside down.... Can you do that?

Doh HIghflyer said same thing

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by NRB View Post
                          We use the feed tubs on the floor only during feeding time, then take them out and store them upside down.... Can you do that?

Doh HIghflyer said same thing
                          I do actually give my guy a third meal every night before I leave, and I put that in a rubber feed tub. But that's a mash, which my horse will eat politely, but if you put his regular feed in the rubber feed tub, he will paw/nose it and flip the grain all over the place. Also, the caretaker is pretty busy and I'm not sure she would have the time to go out after he's finished & flip the tub over.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though!

Looks like I will be ordering a trap and grumbling about the unfairness of it all. In the meantime, I will clean/bleach my horse's feed bin every night. It sucks, but it looks like my only feasible option.

Comment

Working...
                          X