• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dormosadan gel and trailers - help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dormosadan gel and trailers - help

I have a very fidgety horse in the trailer. He loads perfectly calm and confident as well as unloads great. While in the trailer he chews on anything he can grab and paws badly, and very high. Last year he pawed so high he got his fool caught in the haybag and kicked the window out with his front foot, fell and suffered a few lacerations and some swelling, all in all we were very lucky. We cut him out and unloaded him on the side of the road to reload him in a different stall (since the window was gone) and to give him a quick once over. He unloaded and reloaded fine. He obsessively chews on anything. He has caused so many problems that I have become very nervous to trailer him. I do use a trailer camera now. My vet said I could used a quarter or so dosage of dormosadan gel to trailer him. We used it in the past with his rehab from a tendon injury. I am just curious if anyone else has used it trailering and how it affected their horse. Any other ideas for distracting him in the trailer is welcome as well. We usually haul to shows between 1 and 3 hours from our home.

First, I would try him in a stock trailer where there is no risk of him getting a leg over the chest bar and can stand in whatever position he chooses.

If that fails, I would try the vet's suggestion, but just near home. Give him the vet's recommended dose, wait the suggested time (I think its 40 minutes) then take him for a ride around the block and see what happens.

Just keep in mind that it isn't a permanent solution because dorm is a short-acting tranq, and therefore has a 7 day withdrawal time for showing (USEF, and anything that follows USEF rules).

Comment

• Original Poster

We originally was in a stock trailer and he was worse, right now he is in an 8 foot tall slant load with no chest bars and a break away hay manger. We did try leaving him untied, he mostly would pick on the other horses, stick his head under the hay manger and fling it up in the air. We started tying him again. I was curious about the withdraw time. I think I will do a trial run.

Comment

I've used 1/3 tube on a horse that was a big bully about trailering and who had his owner's number and HAD to be moved that day. Worked fine. A good "come to Jesus" would also have been adequate, but as I said, the horse had to go that day, and NOBODY scolded Precious.

Has the horse been trailered much? Sooner or later he has to work out his issues--can't drug them for trailering forever. What kind of work have you done with the horse to make him more relaxed/comfortable about trailering?
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

I've used it, but IV not the gel for shipping a mare we own. It would chill her out for about 2 hours if I remember correctly. Are you showing the same day you are trailering? That could get tricky.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you, I am glad to hear others have used it. Yes, I will be showing but I am hoping that I can wean him off it before any rated shows. "fingers crossed". I know there is a 7 day period for getting it out of the system at full dose. Not sure what it is for a low dose. He also does better with other horses in the trailer but most of the people at my barn either do not show a lot, show other circuits or prefer to trailer their own horses. (I know how they feel, I prefer to haul as well).

Comment

Just as an experiment, it would be interesting to haul him in a straight load for a short trip to see if that changed his behavior in any way. I'm thinking in terms of perhaps the slant load position is causing him some balance issues that might be changed with a straight load, where he could brace better against the chest or butt bars.

Not a long-term solution unless you are prepared to go trailer shopping, but it might be some more information to lead you towards a solution.

*star*
              "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
              - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

Comment

I would not put a hay net in with him, boot him and put a head bumper on him too. How was he worse in a stock trailer? Was he tied or loose?
                Seems there would be less trouble for him to get into in a stock/box situation.

Comment

You could always try using a little bit of the gel to take the edge off and loading him for a short trip around the block. Keep him calm and collected for the whole of it, and then let him be done. You can try building up the length of these trips gradually.

For any horse that paws badly and/or has a history of injuring himself, I would use shipping boots and a head bumper, no question.
                  life + horses
                  beljoeor.blogspot.com

Comment

I really like the gel for this type of thing... seems to take that edge off that you need, but doesn't make them so dopey they can't stand up. The thing I have found most interesting is they seem to learn and remember when using the gel. We have a gelding at the barn with horrible separation anxiety from his pasture buddy. We gave the gel a try, and took the buddy out on a trail ride. Instead of running the fenceline screaming, he just looked up and called once, and went back to his grazing. The best part was that this lesson stuck, and his anxiety has significantly decreased since, without any meds in his system.
                    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Comment

I haven't used it for shipping, but I have used it for clipping and other things. My concern may just be because of my horse's response to it. Yes he becomes nice and dopey, however when he comes out of it, he gets pretty whacky. He does paw but is controlled however when the Dorm gel wears off he paws aggressively, bites, swings his hips aggressively. I don't know if that is normal for all horses but I would be afraid to trailer with it for that reason. Plus, are you trailering for showing? Then it's a no-go for sure.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ShotenStar View Post
                        Just as an experiment, it would be interesting to haul him in a straight load for a short trip to see if that changed his behavior in any way.

*star*
                        I have tried him in a strait load of a friend when we went to a show together. He was somewhat calmer due to the other horse but still paws a lot. because he paws so high, (front leg was caught in a hay bag at head level) I worry about the chest bar. I will give this a try again if the I get the chance. On long trips he settles down, I think it is more boredom than balance.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by FindersKeepers View Post
                          I really like the gel for this type of thing... seems to take that edge off that you need, but doesn't make them so dopey they can't stand up. The thing I have found most interesting is they seem to learn and remember when using the gel. The best part was that this lesson stuck, and his anxiety has significantly decreased since, without any meds in his system.
                          Thank you, this is what I am hoping will happen. I am going to give him a test haul as soon as this snow goes away *ugggg*

Comment

Working...
                          X