• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ok feed gurus...What should I feed? Update...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok feed gurus...What should I feed? Update...

Hi All,
    I got a new boy who has only been a pasture puff. He is in good health and weight BUT he has rubbed his mane ALL out and has rough areas under his belly and armpits and between hind legs. He is a white gray horse. I suspect that he has insect allergies. I was told that it was noseeums (in Florida) that got in his mane and tail which cause him to rub them out. He has been properly wormed and all shots. I normally feed Ultium but I found it tends to make my horses hot and spooky though I think its a great feed. Any suggestions on GOOD feed for horses with skin issues? Since I only have one horse I am not worried about the cost of feed so I am looking for top quietly.
    T.I.A.
    Last edited by spook1; Mar. 13, 2013, 12:34 PM.

I recommend the Blue Seal Sentinel line. Which specific formula would depend on the horse's other nutritional needs. I just rehabbed a TB who had the worst case of rain rot I'd ever seen. He also needed some weight and foot rehab. I had him on the Performance LS, and his new coat grew in sleek and shiny in record time (albeit with the help of topical treatment). We had an old neglect case a few years ago. Her hair would fall out in patches, revealing dry, flaky skin beneath. We put her on the BSS senior formula and her skin improved and her hair stayed put.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/r...ogIMG_7439.jpg
    close up of what her skin looked like

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/r...ogIMG_7432.jpg
    over all body condition

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/r...eafter2010.jpg
    after six months of Blue Seal Sentinel senior... note the shine, full coat, and weight gain

The best part is that I have not found that it makes horses hot, even the OTTB's.

Comment

Additionally, feed through garlic will do wonders to keep the bugs off and prevent the allergies to begin with.

Comment

Flax seed and MSM are often recommended for horses with skin issues. So if you wanted to go the supplement route to try to help your horse out, I would start there.

Grain wise, TC Senior is awesome for medium to hard keepers. TC 30 (a ration balancer) is good for air ferns.

There are a lot of different things that "could" help skin issues, but I would want to talk to a vet and get a recommendation from him or her.
        I don't often recommend Platinum Performance, but it has great ingredients in it and I could see it helping a horse with skin issues. There are plenty of threads on PP.
        come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

Originally posted by harnessphoto View Post
          I recommend the Blue Seal Sentinel line. Which specific formula would depend on the horse's other nutritional needs. I just rehabbed a TB who had the worst case of rain rot I'd ever seen. He also needed some weight and foot rehab. I had him on the Performance LS, and his new coat grew in sleek and shiny in record time (albeit with the help of topical treatment). We had an old neglect case a few years ago. Her hair would fall out in patches, revealing dry, flaky skin beneath. We put her on the BSS senior formula and her skin improved and her hair stayed put.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/r...ogIMG_7439.jpg
          close up of what her skin looked like

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/r...ogIMG_7432.jpg
          over all body condition

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/r...eafter2010.jpg
          after six months of Blue Seal Sentinel senior... note the shine, full coat, and weight gain

The best part is that I have not found that it makes horses hot, even the OTTB's.
          It's amazing what good care and a hq feed will do. Sentential is a great line of feed.
          come what may

Comment

Originally posted by SAcres View Post
            Flax seed and MSM are often recommended for horses with skin issues. So if you wanted to go the supplement route to try to help your horse out, I would start there.
            Agreed.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Guys! My vet is coming out this week and we will address the skin issue. I can see that it was gnats or noseeums because his paddock was on a canel and I am hopeing since I am no where near water that issue will go away.

The Flax seed should that be feed whole or ground?
              T.I.A.

Comment

Originally posted by spook1 View Post

The Flax seed should that be feed whole or ground?
                T.I.A.
                You can feed it either way. I used to grind it in bulk and scoop it with a recycled Probiotics scoop. Saved me time and I felt like the horses were getting more out of it.

Comment

I feed it whole. Mostly because I'm lazy.
                  come what may

Comment

• Original Poster

It's amazing what good care and a hq feed will do. Sentential is a great line of feed.
                    I was finally able to open your pics.....What a change..good job.

My guy is in great weight and I was looking at his mane and there are tons of little scabs and flakes. So Im really thinking it was insects since he has a beautiful coat other wise.

Thank you for the replies!

Comment

I've always ground the flax. Easy enough with a small coffee grinder. But do it each time, so they stay fresh.

Comment

• Original Poster

ok if you had to change feeds what would you go to Ultium or one of the Seminole Wellness feeds? I like Ultium but did find my mare I had on it was very hot and spooky. My new guy who I am totally smitten with is 6 Arab stallion who is only halter broke he will be starting to be worked and broke in the very near future....lol But I want a high quality feed and I have access to both feeds easy enough. Any thoughts?
                        T.I.A

Comment

ok if you had to change feeds what would you go to Ultium or one of the Seminole Wellness feeds?
                          T.I.A
                          If you put me in a corner and held a knife to my throat and said I HAD to feed one or the other (LOL) I would go with the Seminole because I am very strongly anti-Purina.

Seriously, though, the Seminole appears to be a half decent feed. Good ingredients. Low starch. OK fat content if you go with the performance formula. Good fat:fiber ratio. No major red flags on the site. I have no personal experience with it but it beats Ultium into the ground, no contest.

The only concern I have is that it wants you to feed between .25 and 1lb per 100lbs of body weight for a 'maintenance horse'. That's a pretty wide range. For the average horse you'd be feeding either 2.5lb per day or 10lb per day. That's a pretty big discrepancy.
                          Last edited by harnessphoto; Mar. 10, 2013, 02:22 PM. Reason: after looking at the label

Comment

It's fine to feed whole flax. If you grind it, you must feed it straight away because it starts to degrade quickly. Commercial products are stabilized.

I've been feeding whole flax for years and my horses look great.
                            Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                            EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Harnessphoto
                              Thank you for your in put! I was looking at both feeds and I couldn't find anything bad with the Seminole. But you bring a great point about the feed ratio......I hadn't' thought of that.

Comment

Harnessphoto
                                But you bring a great point about the feed ratio......I hadn't' thought of that.
                                I could go into a whole slew of things that are wrong with Purina in general and Ultium specifically. I tend to avoid it because people get very up in arms. Let me just say that the fact that they make you use their calculator instead of just giving you label instructions on the website is a big red flag. When my horse was in prime endurance condition, doing 20 miles of riding per day, I had to feed him 8lb of BSS to keep him fat and shiny. If I were to feed the Purina equivalent, according to their calculator, he'd need THIRTY SIX POUNDS OF GRAIN. Meanwhile, their label says not to feed more than five pounds per feeding. So I'd have to feed seven times a day! Can you imagine? And that's just the tip of the ice berg.

So yes. I'd go with the SW instead. You'll just have to experiment with the rations and see what works for your horse.

Comment

Actually the general opinion on Ultium is pretty good. It's on the lower end of NSC and some horses do very well on it. Usually I am anti-Purina as well but I wouldn't hesitate to feed Ultium if I had a horse I thought would benefit from that kind of performance formula. Ive checked out the ingredients and they are pretty good. Nothing like their omolene line (yuck!).

I don't know much about Seminole wellness line but I think people in here tend to like it.
                                  come what may

Comment

When I get a new horse, I tend to NOT believe the horse has been wormed properly.

With all the itches your new boy has, check out the long long thread on neck thread worms here on COTH.

To me, your post says neck threadworms. Instead of a fancy feed, try equimax double the dose (for his weight) for 2 weeks, and do it again in 2 weeks, then do it again in 2 weeks.

Yes, Ultium is all they say and more (and all you Ultium fans don't get so happy about thinking that was a praising statement for it). That feed sure made me take a look at what my horse was eating. And totally due to Ultium, I found out she was sure had issues with soy. Now I know not to ever feed her soy. Ever. Never. I am not impressed with Ultium. Ultium didn't make my horse hot, made her very spooky, mareish, insecure, itchy, bloated, gassy, constantly showing heat. Yes, the whiz bang food of Ultium made me take a very close look. Thanks Ultium. Now she eats hay, tim pellets, and a non-soy supplement. How easy and less expensive is that! Ultium is the "straw that broke the camels back" of bagged feeds.

NTW can't not be seen in a fecal.

Comment

Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post

Yes, Ultium is all they say and more (and all you Ultium fans don't get so happy about thinking that was a praising statement for it).

Ultium didn't make my horse hot, made her very spooky, mareish, insecure, itchy, bloated, gassy, constantly showing heat.
                                      If you look at the Purina site and delve into their labels, you'll see warning about possible side effects of feeding their grains. The side effects include what you listed AND things like fever, hives, etc. I don't know about you, but my horses don't get fever and sweats from their grain.

I do think Ultium is the best of a bad situation and I have known horses who do well on it. If you ONLY have Purina available, Ultium is probably the best choice for a lot of horses. I'm very much about whatever works for your horse and I don't knock people for feeding Purina. I just wouldn't feed it to my horses.

Comment

Nothing like their omolene line (yuck!).
                                        Agreed. Omolene is far worse than Ultium. My guy was on Omolene at the track. He looked awful when I got him.

Comment

Working...
                                        X