• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Weight gain for IR horse, on a budget?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight gain for IR horse, on a budget?

For the first time in a long time, my mare is actually a little on the thin side.

I'm wanting to put on just a small amount of weight; maybe 50 lbs. Right now you can see ribs easily from a few yards away, and I'd rather only see just a hint of them or not at all, but easily felt.

She is a picture of health otherwise, bright eyed and sassy as ever.

Right now her diet consists of:

- Approx 20lbs of grass hay per day
    - 2 lbs of Nutrena Safe Choice Special Care per day
    - 2 lbs of alfalfa pellets per day
    - 1/2 cup vegetable oil per day
    - 1/4 cup Stockade Horse Mineral (also includes vitamins)

I think the most obvious thing would be to up the Safe Choice, but I'm also looking for the most cost effective way for weight gain as well. So any and all suggestions are much appreciated!

Oh, and FWIW, she is a 15 y/o breeding stock paint mare. This also is the same diet for an 18 y/o Arabian gelding (mom's horse).
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!
  • Original Poster

Oh, I forgot to mention... I have access to Purina and Nutrena only, unfortunately. As well as Standlee brand hay products.

Comment

I always have the opposite problem with my IR/EMS guy...trying to get or keep weight off! But I'm thinking maybe adding beet pulp would be a good way to add weight. Assuming you can get it (here, Nutrena and Standlee both offer beet pulp pellets). Use the no molasses version, then rinse the soaked beet pulp to remove any sugars (even no-molasses-added pellets have some molasses added as part of the process of making the pulp pellets). Or if the alfalfa pellets are low NSC, you could do more of those, maybe in an additional meal? Man, I'd be thrilled to have to add weight to my guy...he thinks he's starving, always!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by horsepoor View Post
        I always have the opposite problem with my IR/EMS guy...trying to get or keep weight off! But I'm thinking maybe adding beet pulp would be a good way to add weight. Assuming you can get it (here, Nutrena and Standlee both offer beet pulp pellets). Use the no molasses version, then rinse the soaked beet pulp to remove any sugars (even no-molasses-added pellets have some molasses added as part of the process of making the pulp pellets). Or if the alfalfa pellets are low NSC, you could do more of those, maybe in an additional meal? Man, I'd be thrilled to have to add weight to my guy...he thinks he's starving, always!
        Thanks for the input! I can certainly up the alfalfa pellets. I have used beet pulp in the past but switched to the alfalfa pellets because of the higher protein content. My mare's and my mom's gelding's toplines were not looking quite as nice on the beet pulp.

Comment

I personally wouldn't feed beet pulp to an IR horse (I have one myself).
          My vet recommended Purina's Amplify supplement to add some weight for my IR horse. It works like a charm.

Comment

Originally posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
            I personally wouldn't feed beet pulp to an IR horse (I have one myself).
            Why? The no molasses version, rinsed after soaking, is low NSC. I'm not using it now, as I find the low NSC hay pellets I have to be easier to use, but I'm curious why you say that.

Comment

Watch the oil, I have read that IR horses can have sensitivity.
              I use Purina Amplify as well. Pricey but you don't need much.
              Mine was on TC Senior, Amplify, Alfalfa Pellets, and hay, and I was able to get her weight back up, and lower her ACTH as well.

Comment

Oil and Alfalfa are usually avoided with IR and/or Cushing horses especially in large quantities. I'd increase your grass hay or add in non-molasses beet pulp.

Comment

I prefer to use pelleted rice bran for my EMS horse that went from an air fern to a hard keeper when the EMS exploded on him in 2007.

40 lbs of Manna Pro's "Max-E-Glo" is $23 at my Tractor Supply.

Valley Vet wants $40+ for a 30 lb container of Amplify that, in true Purina fashion, doesn't list all the ingredients but does say:

Proprietary blend of vegetable oils,
                  flax seed and rice bran create an
                  optimal fatty acid profile
                  ���� No trans-fats
                  I can't see paying almost double the money for ten pounds less of something that has flax seed and rice bran, when I can feed Max-E-Glo and half cup daily of Omega-3 Horseshine much cheaper, with excellent results.

JMO

Comment

• Original Poster

Why avoid oil or alfalfa? Oil has no NSCs, and the alfalfa pellets I'm feeding are only 8% NSC.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by walkinthewalk View Post
                      I prefer to use pelleted rice bran for my EMS horse that went from an air fern to a hard keeper when the EMS exploded on him in 2007.

40 lbs of Manna Pro's "Max-E-Glo" is $23 at my Tractor Supply.

Valley Vet wants $40+ for a 30 lb container of Amplify that, in true Purina fashion, doesn't list all the ingredients but does say:

I can't see paying almost double the money for ten pounds less of something that has flax seed and rice bran, when I can feed Max-E-Glo and half cup daily of Omega-3 Horseshine much cheaper, with excellent results.

JMO
                      Is the Max-E-Glo rice bran? How long does the 40lb bag last you?

Comment

I'd wait until warmer weather gets here, and see if, with fewer calories being used to stay warm, you get a weight gain on the present diet.
                        Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by sublimequine View Post
                          Is the Max-E-Glo rice bran? How long does the 40lb bag last you?
                          Yes, it is equine, stabilized, calcium fortified rice bran to keep the calcium/phospherous ratio balanced.

It comes in meal form or pellets. I prefer the pellets.

I amount of rice bran I feed my EMS horse goes up and down. It provides horses with a cool energy (doesn't amp them up). I give him more in the winter.

Right now he is eating 20 measured ounces (I use house hold measuring cups) daily. He also gets fed three times a day as he has hind gut ulcers and colic issues. The more little feedings he gets, the longer between colics. This time he lasted from last October 3rd to March 2nd.

20 ounces daily = 37.5 lbs per month.

What I commented on at $40+ dollars from Valley Vet comes in a tub.

I just went back and looked at the bagged Amplify (Nature's Essentials), it is showing $59.99 per 50 lb bag.

If seems to provide all the needed vitamins & minerals, and also claims to use rice bran.

http://www.horse.purinamills.com/pro...2-0032705.aspx

Tractor Supply carries Purina products.

You're going to have to crunch the numbers and see what works best for your wallet.

For my part 20 ounces of rice bran works well to keep my EMS horse at a good weight in the winter. I will cut that back when summer gets here.

He is one of the rare metabolic horses that, to-date, has never even had a mild laminitis attack and only needs a grazing muzzle in early Spring.

My truly IR horse however, will founder at the mere mention of it and will be going out in a grazing muzzle today

Comment

• Original Poster

Anyone know if BOSS is good for weight gain? Farm and Fleet has a sale on it; $19.99 for a 50 lb bag, and it's 40% fat. NSC is only like 5%. I'm not sure how much I'd need to feed though.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by walkinthewalk View Post
                              Yes, it is equine, stabilized, calcium fortified rice bran to keep the calcium/phospherous ratio balanced.

It comes in meal form or pellets. I prefer the pellets.

I amount of rice bran I feed my EMS horse goes up and down. It provides horses with a cool energy (doesn't amp them up). I give him more in the winter.

Right now he is eating 20 measured ounces (I use house hold measuring cups) daily. He also gets fed three times a day as he has hind gut ulcers and colic issues. The more little feedings he gets, the longer between colics. This time he lasted from last October 3rd to March 2nd.

20 ounces daily = 37.5 lbs per month.

What I commented on at $40+ dollars from Valley Vet comes in a tub.

I just went back and looked at the bagged Amplify (Nature's Essentials), it is showing $59.99 per 50 lb bag.

If seems to provide all the needed vitamins & minerals, and also claims to use rice bran.

http://www.horse.purinamills.com/pro...2-0032705.aspx

Tractor Supply carries Purina products.

You're going to have to crunch the numbers and see what works best for your wallet.

For my part 20 ounces of rice bran works well to keep my EMS horse at a good weight in the winter. I will cut that back when summer gets here.

He is one of the rare metabolic horses that, to-date, has never even had a mild laminitis attack and only needs a grazing muzzle in early Spring.

My truly IR horse however, will founder at the mere mention of it and will be going out in a grazing muzzle today
                              Yeah it's hard walking that tightrope with IR horses... trying to put some weight on right now, but there will be no lush pasture turnout come Spring, my mare turns into a blubbery walrus.

Comment

I'd go with the Purina Amplify over the Max-E-Glo. The Max has 18% fat; the Amplify has 30% fat. If your goal is to add weight, you would have to feed less of the Amplify than the Max to deliver the same fat content. I pay $43 for 50lbs of Amplify at my local feed store.
                                http://www.lucysquest.blogspot.com

Custom Painted Saddle Pads and Ornaments

Comment

Originally posted by Starhouse View Post
                                  I'd go with the Purina Amplify over the Max-E-Glo. The Max has 18% fat; the Amplify has 30% fat. If your goal is to add weight, you would have to feed less of the Amplify than the Max to deliver the same fat content. I pay $43 for 50lbs of Amplify at my local feed store.
                                  If you go the Amplify route, be sure you're not going to double up on vitamins/minerals as that could be detrimental to a metabolic horse where some minerals are concerned.

If you're feeding something else to get the vit/mins in your horse, you most likely won't need it, if you change to the Amplify.

I feed the rice bran also because I feed my EMS horse a vitamin/mineral supplement that only requires one ounce daily. That started after he colicked nine times last year and I noticed he could not could not handle more than 1 - 1/2 pounds of anything in his feed pan at one time.

Thus the high dose vitamin and also having to feed him what he needs, three times daily

There are days these metabolic issues make me regret not drinking anything stronger than apple juice anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Starhouse View Post
                                    If you go the Amplify route, be sure you're not going to double up on vitamins/minerals as that could be detrimental to a metabolic horse where some minerals are concerned.

If you're feeding something else to get the vit/mins in your horse, you most likely won't need it, if you change to the Amplify.

I feed the rice bran also because I feed my EMS horse a vitamin/mineral supplement that only requires one ounce daily. That started after he colicked nine times last year and I noticed he could not could not handle more than 1 - 1/2 pounds of anything in his feed pan at one time.

Thus the high dose vitamin and also having to feed him what he needs, three times daily

There are days these metabolic issues make me regret not drinking anything stronger than apple juice anymore

Comment

Equi Omega by Uckele....it's a powdered form of cocosoya, flax and vegetable oil along with probiotics. I have a hard keeper (not IR) that has bloomed on it....actually maybe a bit too much

http://www.sstack.com/horse-care_sup...omplex-7-5lbs/

Comment

Sorry for the double post

Originally posted by sublimequine View Post
                                        Anyone know if BOSS is good for weight gain? Farm and Fleet has a sale on it; $19.99 for a 50 lb bag, and it's 40% fat. NSC is only like 5%. I'm not sure how much I'd need to feed though.
                                        No BOSS. BOSS is really high in Omega-6 which is known to aggravate any sort of inflammation.

The EMS exploded my horse's hock/ankle arthritis, there is no way I would feed him BOSS.

Sometimes the more money spent up front on a product, the less one needs. That equals savings over the long term plus a healthier horse

I know a bag of Omega-3 Horseshine is expensive but, I feed it, daily, to three of my horses and a bag last five weeks.

My EMS horse gets 1/2 cup daily. I had called the company a year ago, and they said I could feed up to one measuring cup daily if I wanted to but, he's doing great on 1/2 cup.

Comment

Working...
                                        X