• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Free Choice Minerals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Choice Minerals?

This past weekend at a horse trial, I was having a passing conversation with a rider who's a vet, talking about my two year old whose joints are growing exponentially (and I'm going to have him xrayed yet again this weekend). She suggested giving all my horses "free choice minerals".

I've never heard of this, and I didn't get to see her again to clarify.

So I'm picking your collective brains: What is a good free choice mineral supplement, where do I get it, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

BTW: She noted this was more than merely the mineral salt block, which we have.....
    Last edited by Kairoshorses; Oct. 15, 2008, 01:07 PM. Reason: salt!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

A good friend of mine bought my horses (ages 19, 18 and 5) a bag of Red-Cal, made by the Natural Horse Vet. It's expensive, but my horses seem to love it. They nibble at it every now and then - my youngster more so than the seniors. They've had access to it for nearly a month now, and I haven't noticed really any difference yet.

Comment

I use Purina's Nature's Essentials 12:12 minerals, get them at the feed store. I keep them in a tire feeder under the run-in area right next to the salt block; they can eat some if they feel like it.
      Click here before you buy.

Comment

equipride or ABC rush creek minerals

These are very good, both of them. both are balanced in CA/P. Both are safe for free-choice feeding. The benefit of Equipride is that the freechoice is in a hard-tub form so water/wind etc will not damage it. great stuff.

Comment

I've been happy with both of Progressive Nutrition's free choice loose mineral products.

They have several versions depending on forage type - and you can also choose between just vitamin/mineral/yeast or a product with added protein.

All of my horses get the protein added version (ForagePro) out in the field which makes life very easy since the only horses I have to bring in to "feed" are lactating moms and horses in work that need more calories.
          Liz
          Ainninn House Stud
          Irish Draughts and Connemaras
          Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Comment

i use ADMs Mineral choice lick

I have no idea if free choice minerals will help with big joints or not, BUT I do offer all of my babies minerals in the form of ADMs mineral choice lick. And adequate zinc and copper seem to be important for joint health in horses, but I don't know if the standard mineral licks have enough zinc and copper in them.
            Plus I prefer that the Zn and Cu be in a chelated form, which is way to expensive to put into a lick.
            Yours
            MW
            Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
            Sign up for the Equine nutrition enewsletter on www.foxdenequine.com
            New edition of book is out:
            Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Comment

Loose minerals are a MUCH better way for the horse to get what it needs.

I tried the Moormans Quad block and my horse would not eat it.

So I stick with Purina 12:12 ... and loose stock salt.

Comment

Originally posted by gabz View Post

So I stick with Purina 12:12 ... and loose stock salt.
                I too feed (loose) minerals with (loose) salt separately. A few years ago during the heat of the summer one of my neighbors horses became very, very sick. After a gigantic vet bill, they concluded the horse had overdosed himself on minerals in the mineral block while trying to get the salt he needed.
                my horse trailer was stolen from kentucky horse park. Seen it?

Comment

Originally posted by CurlyLindsay View Post
                  I too feed (loose) minerals with (loose) salt separately. A few years ago during the heat of the summer one of my neighbors horses became very, very sick. After a gigantic vet bill, they concluded the horse had overdosed himself on minerals in the mineral block while trying to get the salt he needed.
                  I use ADM Grostrong loose minerals and I also ALWAYS keep salt available seperately. The ADM salesperson told me that there was salt in the mineral so I didn't need the extra salt blocks, but I don't want them to overeat the minerals when they just want some salt. I think he just wanted me to use more of his minerals! LOL!

april
                  april
                  Equine Retirement at
                  www.StonyRidgeFarm.webs.com

Comment

Here's info on the EquiLix by Equipride that El Tovar mentioned: http://www.equipride.biz/product.aspx?id=2

My mares LOFF the Lix and give it Two Hooves Up.
                    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

I have used either the Southern States or Purina product for years, depending on which store I'm at when I run out. My mini donks only get hay and that way I can assure they get some minerals they need. The horses like it too. I find when a new horse comes in, they will eat a LOT, I'm assuming to make up whatever deficiet they have had previously. Then they just eat it occasionally as would be expected.

Comment

Boy, the Equilix sure looks like something that might work here. I can't seem to see how long they expect one to last?

Anyone able to say how long one lasts with, say 4 horses?

I use free choice hay all winter... Am dithering over vits/mins right at this moment. Want the BEST choice, not the cheapest nor the most expensive.

As far as the Forage Pro--do you have run-ins that you keep it inside of? How do you put it out?
                        InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

Pinto: Send a PM off to LMH. She has more horses than I do so could tell you better how long a large EquiLix would last.

I started with a small tub to see how Tank would do with it. Ummm, inhaled would be the right word -- I just got her a giant one and should see that one lasting a while. Tis much loved.
                          <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

If I got Equipride, could I stop feeding Accel and Omega Horsehine? What about Lysine, I do not see that listed. I'm trying to cut down on the money that I spend
                            Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Comment

With the EquiPride and EquiLix, I ceased feeding ground flax (big savings).

You're right...no lysine. (gotta ask the EquiPride folks about that). I make it up with 2 scoops of Super BioZin....plus this way they get the extra biotin my drafties need.

Comment

How much is the recommended feeding per day for the Equipride?
                                Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Comment

Originally posted by pintopiaffe View Post
                                  Boy, the Equilix sure looks like something that might work here. I can't seem to see how long they expect one to last?

Anyone able to say how long one lasts with, say 4 horses?

I use free choice hay all winter... Am dithering over vits/mins right at this moment. Want the BEST choice, not the cheapest nor the most expensive.

As far as the Forage Pro--do you have run-ins that you keep it inside of? How do you put it out?
                                  I put the Forage Pro in a covered feeder that looks similar to this one (scroll down to "3 block bull feeder") - I just fill the basins with the loose mineral and the horses flip up the top with their nose to access it. The only thing I don't like about it is that everyone is getting a little rub mark on the side of their face that they use to flip the lid. Using Forage Pro as a base with forage, I just feed any horse I have in to ride before I turn them back out and so they get their extra calories that way - and a big bonus is no feeding time craziness in the pasture.

Regarding Equi-lix - I really liked the idea of the yeast/flax base of this product and so when a dealer popped up near me this summer I did an eight week feeding trial and cost comparison vs the Forage Pro. I don't have the numbers anymore, but the Equi-lix ended up being nearly twice as expensive on a daily consumption basis compared to the Forage Pro AND if I'd kept feeding it exclusively, I still would have needed to supplement copper and a few other things for the youngsters and pregnant broodies. That said, I think the base product (yeast/flax) is a great idea, it sure was convenient, and the horses liked it - I just can't afford it when I've got a more cost effective (and equally high quality) option.
                                  Liz
                                  Ainninn House Stud
                                  Irish Draughts and Connemaras
                                  Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Comment

This topic came up during a very recent visit with my equine dentist. He noticed that 2 of my horses had quite a bit of tarter and said it had something to do with them "eating" dirt. They always have access to a free choice salt block and hay or grass, they receive whole oats and corn and on occasion Super 14. He suggested feeding free range minerals by ABC (Advanced Biometric Chemicals). I haven't ordered any yet, as I am still in the research phase. I have decided that I am definitely going to offer the minerals individually opposed to a mineral block. Just need to figure out where I am going to order them from inexpensively (relatively speaking of course).

Comment

All my horses have access to free choice "loose" mineral. Ours is from Progessive.

Comment

I keep loose mineral (EquiMin from Southern States usually) as well as a plain salt block available in all the stalls and the run in shed.

Comment

Working...
                                        X