• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ponies and Laminitis - Are All Prone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponies and Laminitis - Are All Prone?

I have several ponies stabled at home that are very hardy. This is a new barn and the first time I've had my horses at home. I have an allweather paddock that's very generous in size, which is being used quite a bit this winter!

I'm very nervous about spring, however. When they moved into the barn this fall, I had them wear grazing muzzles since they weren't used to lush pasture. They are turned out all day.

Do all the "rules" with laminitis apply if a pony has a healthy weight and has never had laminitis? Or, are all ponies at risk for laminitis?

I've read they should be turned out 20 minutes a day for the first week, then add 10 minutes every few days. I'd assume the rest of the day, they go back in the allweather or wear their grazing muzzles (which they hate). I'm thinking..... it will take forever until they can have ample turnout on the grass.

I don't know if I should treat them as at risk for laminitis, and be really conservative with their turnout, or if they can go straight to the grass paddocks since they have never had it.

I think all horses are at risk for laminitis. Certainly, older, heavier, cresty neck, ponies with a past history of laminitis and who are grazing 24/7 in rich pasture, are at greater risk than young, thin, TBs, on a dirt lot, but all horses seem to be at risk. It is always hard to decide how much risk you are willing to assume. 6 years ago, my horse got laminitis in February on a snowy day, probably related to contaminated hay cubes. This past June, we had a mild laminitis after a red maple limb blew into our pasture from a neighbor's tree in a big wind storm. Do the best you can to prevent laminitis, but there is no way to always prevent it.

Comment

Think about the environment most of our pony breeds came from (and I imagine most grade ponies in US have a good chunk of Shetland). Being thrifty out on the heath is great, but not so much when food abounds. I think any animal that is an easy keeper is at risk (that includes humans...DM type II is going through the roof)

Comment

Developing laminitis from an insult such as contaminated hay or red maple leaves is really not at all in the same category as what the OP is asking

For ponies - I would assume the risk is there and manage accordingly.

And while the easy keepers probably are at a higher risk, don't at all rule out the potential just because the horse is lean and a "harder" keeper. Sometimes the very metabolic issues that make them harder keepers are what predisposes them to developing laminitis.

Comment

Among many farriers and vets, there is an adage. "There are only two kinds of ponies. Them that are foundered and them that are going to." IOW, its not a question of "If", rather, "When".

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Burten View Post
            Among many farriers and vets, there is an adage. "There are only two kinds of ponies. Them that are foundered and them that are going to." IOW, its not a question of "If", rather, "When".
            That's entertaining, and really the simplest truth their is to it.

Are ponies more prone? Um, yeah. Always a higher risk with a thrifty pony. I'm not saying the other lighter riding varieties don't founder, but it's less likely given the same set of circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by AKB View Post
              I think all horses are at risk for laminitis. Certainly, older, heavier, cresty neck, ponies with a past history of laminitis and who are grazing 24/7 in rich pasture, are at greater risk than young, thin, TBs, on a dirt lot, but all horses seem to be at risk.
              I don't think an accurate statement for the pony you describe would be 'at risk'. I would just go ahead and dig the grave for that scenario!

Comment

It's funny, I had a 13-ish hand Welsh pony when I was twelve (1972). She was always on pasture, and as a dumb kid with no adult oversight, I'm sure I fed her way too much grain. I'll be darned if she never foundered; in fact, I don't remember her ever having a lame day in the eight years I owned her! Sounds like dumb luck, I guess. My little 12 hand Welsh I own now is IR and I have to watch his food consumption like a hawk!
                TypaGraphics
                Graphic Design & Websites
                typagraphics.com

Comment

Considering the consequences of getting it wrong, I would consider virtually any "pony breed" pony (as opposed to a teeny, tiny TB or an Arabian at 14 hands) at increased risk and handle accordingly. There is very little downside, other than the time it takes and grumpy pony faces, to muzzling and going carefully with lush forage.

I had a 13-ish hand Welsh pony when I was twelve (1972). She was always on pasture, and as a dumb kid with no adult oversight, I'm sure I fed her way too much grain.
                  All of the ponies at the barns I grew up with in the 70s were on pasture, too. But they worked their little pony butts off, too--lessons, riding, hunting, showing, driving, etc.
                  Click here before you buy.

Comment

Deltawave had a great point about the pony breed vs. size. My 14.3 Fjord is way more risky than even the mini mare I had her for a while.

The ponies I grew up around did indeed work their tails off! I think another factor might be that grass seed is now genetically modified to make dairy cattle produce more....that's the stuff you're putting in the field when you seed a little here and there for improvements. The "equine" mixes are simply seed designed for maximum production in cattle that horses find yummy or withstand traffic.

BTW, I wish I would have known about the grass seed sooner because that's my entire field. If I had known, I would have just let nature take it's course and let them eat whatever wanted to grow out there...pretty or not.

Comment

Probably the pony under the kid care, was ALSO being used heavily. It helps if an animal can be worked at least several hours a day, or even all day, to prevent them getting laminitic. They can't be eating much during that riding time, and the exercise is great! Problem comes when kid quits riding so much, gets a new horse but keeps the pony. Pony with no work blimps up, gets laminitic the next season. Ponies NEED to be worked hard, exercise and less to eat is so much better for their health in keeping them from problems.

Otherwise I agree with the other folks, you have to limit intake by ponies or easy keeper horses. We have large horses, who are only pastured between 8-12 hours a day in summer. It takes me about 6 weeks to get them changed over to full time grazing after grass starts coming in, adding a bit of time every 3 days. I figure it takes that much time to grow the stomach flora that can digest grass, not just hay. I want them to be safe, have enough digestive flora to manage grazing with no reaction to a loaded stomach with rich grass. You would be AMAZED at how much an animal can ingest in 15-20 minutes of grazing!! So that limited turnout IS BETTER, building up the grazing time slowly. That grass stomach flora must be developed with time, some grass in diet to start the process, but just doesn't happen instantly! I look at it as "getting the equines fit to graze" like any other conditioning program, horses need to take time to be ready for it.

Ours get worked at least 2hours every outing, which is done between 3 to 5 days a week, we do ring time or mileage down the road. LOTS of exercise to get them fit for work and competition. Once they get switched to grass only, that is ALL the forage they get, no hay in the stall unless they are very old. They do get a small helping of grain and wet beet pulp for coming in to be stalled daily. Less than a pound each, and they are 16-17H horses. They don't NEED more food than that, and they stay in very good condition, have shiny coats that will blind you, and able to do the hard work we ask of them, all on a grass diet. They were bred to MANAGE on grass, it is what the old farmers, owners and original breeders expected them to do. Mares raise nice foals, all on grass diet. They were not rich folks supporting race horses with special feeds.

Modern owners really need to be careful with feeding animals, especially ponies, so they don't blimp out. Most animals could do with a lot more exercise, which would help them all over physically. Otherwise keeping them dry-lotted, stalled, for 12 hours a day is almost required, even with grazing muzzles. Those small breeds of ponies survived on seaweed, tough weeds that grew on rocks, and still had to turn in a good days work, look nice doing it. The rich grass we plant now is an big overload to their systems, even when working now.

Comment

BTW, I wish I would have known about the grass seed sooner because that's my entire field. If I had known, I would have just let nature take it's course and let them eat whatever wanted to grow out there...pretty or not.
                        That's an interesting point! I *tried* to seed my brand new pastures when we bought our farm, but it was a summer of epic drought and nothing would grow. I gave up, intending to try again the year after, but eventually we DID get rain and eventually things started to grow. Tough, clumpy grass, a bunch of clover, and a variety of fescues and variations on crabgrass, etc. Not exactly what I had planned on! HOWEVER, it is TOUGH as nails, quite drought resistant (natural selection!) and the same horses, when pastured at my place, do really nicely as opposed to when they're pastured at my trainer's barn, where they do re-seed every year, where they get proportionally fatter with the same amount of grazing time.

I still don't dare put my Shetland out there without her muzzle, though. Never ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Win1 View Post
                          Hm, I wonder if that's why my mare's breeders have had only one case of founder in about 15 years of having their Morgans on pasture. Morgans are definitely prone to laminitis/founder, but theirs is "unimproved" pasture.
                          You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

The neighbor across the road raised Morgans, mostly on pasture with no issues and they weren't half as fat as my boys that were actually working. I feed no hay in the growing season through October and have 4 horses on 4 acres.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much for your responses!!!!! Very helpful to know. When they are used to longer grazing hours, do you still not let them graze around dusk when NSC levels are high? They hate the grazing muzzles and I'm not wild about the rub marks from them, and they are not so great when it's hot and humid in the summer.

I actually ride my ponies - they are my hunt horses so they do get a lot of exercise. Still, it seems they can get laminitis if the conditions are right. We had a drought last year and ironically, when most people think the grass has no nutrients, it's high in NSC during stress like that.

Comment

There are so many causes to laminitis - while there are markers and ponies do seem to have a propensity to do so my personal experience has been exactly the opposite.

Our Connemara x mare has the IR look with the cresty neck & she is an air fern for the most part. Pig Pen is the poster child for air fern pony. We manage them but they definitely don't live on dirt 24/7. Spring grass is our worst enemy. When it starts to really come in, we pull them off and wean them onto it. Our ponies - knock on every piece of wood I can get my hands on - have been extraordinarily sound & healthy with what I consider minimal management. I know SO many ponies who have never had an issue w/laminitis. Horses, on the other hand...

My now deceased show horse (thin skinned, harder to keep, TBxQH) suffered laminitis twice with her former owner - 1st time right after foaling out; 2nd time the following year after being turned out on 3 acres of picture perfect, lush pasture. We had a geriatric Cushings mare who foundered...not a big surprise. Best friend's fine boned, 16h TBx gelding reacted to an injection of appropriately administered Banamine (vet's best guess), foundered on the front and less than a week later foundered on the REAR. Very weird. She had another horse - 14.1 Arab - intermittent lameness in alternating front feet over a period of about 8 months; eventually diagnosed as laminitis when the lameness disappeared and then resurrected itself in a big way bilaterally. Who knows what triggered it...horse was weird in every single way possible to begin with. He ended up being donated to vet school for a drug trial.

If it were me, I'd probably wean the ponies onto the new pastures. Manage your ponies with a keen eye. Monitor the pasture they are on and make wise decisions accordingly. Good luck - I'm happy to report this is the closest we've been to spring in 2013 (I can't wait for warmer weather!!)

Comment

I would get used to the muzzles. I've found duct tape around the edges where it rubs along with applying show sheen to those areas helps a lot with rubbing. Once they have them on for a few weeks the rubbing isn't as big of an issue. Mine wore their muzzles in the mid day record heat last summer, over 100 heat index, with no issues. If you're worried about the heat with the muzzle bring them in/dirt lot early.

Comment

My very hairy Shetland, when she gets a little sweaty under her muzzle (and it's rigged out to be a VERY complicated contraption, because she will escape from it every chance she gets) just comes in and plunks her whole head in the waterer, shakes it off and goes trotting back out to the grass.

Comment

Working...
                                    X