• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Soaking and feeding hay/cubes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soaking and feeding hay/cubes

My 28 year old won't eat grass hay, and is now having a bit of trouble with alfalfa cubes and pellets. I'm thinking soaking may be the way to help her.

In order to get enough soaked and available for free choice feeding, I'm thinking that I might use a muck bucket for soaking and feeding. Would need two--one to soak and one to feed.

Has anyone used muck buckets for this? If not, what do you use?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Some of the horses at my barn get soaked cubes, but only a scoop or two so that get soaked in two gallon buckets. I don't see why muck buckets wouldn't work. There used to be a horse who got his hay soaked in a muck bucket.

Comment

I have 2 horses to feed cubes to. After a few weeks of lugging heavy buckets around I decided to get a second large plastic heavy duty wheelbarrow and I just use that as a trough. I fill it with cubes, add water, let soak, then drain and just roll into the paddock and leave it there for them to eat out of. The other wheelbarrow comes out for the next feeding

Comment

I think the wheelbarrow is an excellent idea. Or maybe something like this?

When I used to work at the barn, we had a horse who could only eat soaked cubes. He got 2 5 gallon buckets twice a day, and that was enough to hold his weight--he was an easy keeper. We were able to set up the buckets in front of his stall, so we didn't have to haul any sort of distance, but it was still a bit of a weight to lug.

Comment

I have! Back when I was confused about what to do with my gelding, I went everyday at lunch and after work and would soak pellets in big tubs and used those tub carts to pull it around.

Comment

I suggest using this hay product:
            http://horse.purinamills.com/product...2-0029367.aspx

This is perfect for the chewing impaired horse. Very short fibers, shorter than alfalfa cubes and designed to swell and expand easily with water. It is a timothy, orchard grass, alfalfa blend and soaks up water really well.

I found that cubes and pellets are best soaked with hot water.

chicamuxen

Comment

Not to be dense but why drain the cubes?

Mine are easy keepers but I feed them an alfalfa "soup" at night to get more water into them over the winter months. I make it by putting about 1 lb of dry cubes (barely cover the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket) and then filling it to the top with hot water. I ride and when done they get the still warm concoction as an evening snack.

If they were harder keepers and I was feeding this for calories as opposed to water intake, I would simply fill the bucket with as many pounds of alfalfa cubes as required and then top off with water. Let it stand for a 30 min or so and then feed it. No draining required.

Comment

I agree, definitely soak with hot water, and don't drain. They are much more palatable, easier to eat, and add much needed water to the system this way.
                A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

The BM where my old gelding lived hung 2 buckets in my boy's stall - one for water, one with dry hay cubes. She would water the cubes down at the same time she was filling buckets with the hose prior to bringing everyone in.

By the time she brought everyone in (my gelding was usually the last one in) and my gelding ate his pelleted feed mash (which took him a little while), the cubes were soaked and he was able to eat them. And no lugging heavy buckets.

Comment

I soak with hot water in the winter. In the summer, I soak overnight with cold water.

Comment

I use an old water trough so there's plenty of room for the horse to eat and keep the sloppy mess contained. It seems to me the worse the teeth are, the sloppier the whole process! I feed it outside because otherwise it makes the stall cleanup a mess and a fly problem in the summer.

I use alfalfa cubes and add hot water and let it soak at least 20 minutes. I've found filling the water to slightly above the cube line adds the correct moisture consistency so they will eat the soaked cubes. If too wet, sometimes they won't eat them. You can also add hay pellets to the mix after the cubes have soaked. In the summer, I add cold water and in the winter I add warm water. The horses seem to like a warm mash in the cold weather.

ETA: Since I feed the mash outside, I drilled small holes in the bottom of the trough to allow excess water to drain and also to allow to trough not to fill with water when it rains. It also makes it easier to rinse out to keep clean.

I have photographic directions on the pitchfork chronicles website below in the step by step section. You have to scroll down a bit to find it. I apologize but I wasn't able to cut and paste it to make finding it a bit easier.
                      Last edited by mkevent; Feb. 2, 2013, 06:09 PM.
                      http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

I fill a 5 gallon bucket a little over halfway with cubes/pellets and add water (have been adding hot in winter and tap in summer). I usually fill water to an inch or so above. When ready, I dump into a 40 gallon 'trough'. That amount lasts her around 10-12 hrs. Yes, it is kinda heavy....I figure I'm getting my weight lifting exercise in at the same time.

I did try a muck bucket with her initially but it was so upright she turned it over a lot. This 40 gallon trough (from Tractor Supply) is wider and shorter. She can move it around but hasn't flipped it over. (yet)

Comment

how to keep from freezing?

I have been trying to find ways to feed soaked cubes/pelets..

Not to hijack but for people in colder areas. how do you keep the soaked pellets/cubes/whatever from freezing?

I'd love to free-choice soaked stuff to my old guy (pride and joy) but I haven't figured out a way to keep it from freezing.

Thanks in advance..

Comment

Originally posted by Loves to ride View Post
                            I have been trying to find ways to feed soaked cubes/pelets..

Not to hijack but for people in colder areas. how do you keep the soaked pellets/cubes/whatever from freezing?

I'd love to free-choice soaked stuff to my old guy (pride and joy) but I haven't figured out a way to keep it from freezing.

Thanks in advance..
                            This
                            "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Comment

OTTBcooper

Thanks. I was afraid that may be the only solution. Unless I run an electric cord through the pasture, I'm out of outlets.

Comment

Loves to ride - I also have to deal with freezing cube issues which is why I drain my cubes. I find that even in extremely cold temps (we were below -30 last week) the horses can eat the cubes most of the day if they are drained (I feed out two 5 gallon buckets in the wheelbarrow in the mornings). Otherwise they would he licking away at a hay soup ice cube all day while I'm at work....

The other reasons I drain (for those wondering) is that I find they "cook" faster with extra hot water and I also have a gelding very sensitive to fructans in hay so I figure this helps a bit, plus im sure some hay that is used is dusty and less than stellar quality, plus there is lime used as a binder (1% max) and I like to try for rinse it away.

Comment

Working...
                                X