• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse having random episodes of lameness after being shod. Opinions please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse having random episodes of lameness after being shod. Opinions please?

So since summer my horse has had 3 episodes of a random soreness up front. In the summer it was after a shoeing. Sound for the first day after, lame the next. A week off and he was fine. We assumed it to be a bruise. Then 2 weeks later, we both crashed into a jump and he split his coronary band and was lame at the walk. (Had the vet out) A month later he was sound again. The small horizontal crack is currently moving down his foot.
    During winter break (early january) he came up lame after a shoeing again. Sore in the same foot, 8 days later, totally sound.
    After his recent shoeing this past monday, sound the first day after, lame the next.
    I’ve been talking to my farrier closely, and we are thinking something else is going on in the leg. Right now I am thinking about: navicular, strained tendon, new arthritis in the front (He has arthritis in the hock) or possibly back soreness.
    We are giving him 4 days off. If he is sound (can’t call the vet out for a sound horse), i am going to wait till the next shoeing to call out the vet (if he turns up lame again). If he is lame this tuesday, after the break, I’m calling the vet out to do some blocking and x-rays.
    My questions are: Has anyone had this pattern of lameness before that wasn’t a bruise or abscess? Does anyone have experience with horses that have compensation lameness with hind end arthritis? Finally, with navicular changes, is this pattern of lameness common for this disease? (He is a QH, with good size feet, but it seems the most logical answer).
    Thanks for your time.

I have been told that my QH had a similar problem. His front shoes were making him lame. He gets corns. His farrier figured out a way to shoe him (round shoes with padding) that did not make him sore. When I bought him a year ago, I was able to pull his shoes because I have the set-up for it, and he is so happy on his feet now. When he is trimmed, you can see little "strawberries", that's what my farrier calls, them in the v of the bars of his feet. His is a Dash for Cash QH, and I have been told they have funny front legs. My farrier says he will always have those red marks.
    Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

A horse should not be lame after shoeing. If this happens regularly then there is a problem with the trim or the way the shoes are fit or both.

Comment

• Original Poster

have always had the same farrier for the past 4 years. Never had a problem until now. Thats why i am worried. Also it hasn't happened after every trim. Just one in the summer, and recently these two back to back.

Comment

Horses can change. People can change too! Perhaps your farrier is doing something different and not realizing it. Just a possibility.

Sound horses can be radiographed - if you want to have baseline views. If there is nothing on them and your horse comes up lame, and blocks to nav. area - you might as well sign up for MRI if you want to know what is going on in there.

Glad your horse is comfy most of the time.
          Horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
          ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

I hope you have addressed these concerns with your farrier and I hope your farrier is taking them seriously.

Comment

• Original Poster

He has. He is an excellent farrier and works very closely with my vet. Regardless when he is lame i am going to call the vet out for blocking and x-rays.
              There are just so many options of what it could be: navicular, shoeing problems, Front end arthritis (he has hock arthritis that i manage to an anal extent), microtears in his ligament, an extremely deep bruise, back soreness......

Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced these intermittent areas of lameness for a few days at a time and then have no problem until a few weeks later. The randomness of it worries me.

Comment

Unfortunately yes.

The culprit in my horse was sole pressure at the toe. My horse tends to grow a lot of toe and if not carefully reshod, will need his toe backed up alot. He is also flat footed. Backing up the toe on a flat footed horse can lead to too much sole pressure from the shoe until he grows more foot... This should be addressed when the horse is being shod but the farrier needs to know about the possible issue and shoe accordingly to prevent the soreness.

[not an expert, just repeating what happened to my horse]

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
                  A horse should not be lame after shoeing. If this happens regularly then there is a problem with the trim or the way the shoes are fit or both.
                  This was my first thought as well. It took 4 farriers to find the one who understood my horse's "special" feet.

I think at this point you should have the vet look at your horse since there seem to be multiple factors involved, possibly x-ray if vet recommends it. If you want to stick with your current farrier and he can be at the vet visit as well, even better so everyone is on the same page with your horse's individual shoeing needs.

Comment

Originally posted by acatizone View Post
                    Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced these intermittent areas of lameness for a few days at a time and then have no problem until a few weeks later. The randomness of it worries me.
                    Yes. The problem with my TB was thin soles & farriers trimming too much sole which led to multiple abscesses. Once I found the right farrier, no more ouchy feet after shoeing. Only one abscess in 8 months (due to muddy, wet turnouts this winter). The last farrier I dumped was supposed to be one of the best in my state... the last time he shod my horse, I led my poor guy away stepping oh so gingerly on both front feet. Sayonara to him.

Good luck! Chronic hoof issues are a PITA.

Comment

I would make sure to get the leg ultra sounded, to make sure it's not a tendon issue...they tend to be vague, off and on types of lameness. If it is a tendon thing, maybe after getting shod, the hoof angle has been changed, and it tweaks the tendon somehow. Or, it could be arthritis in the leg, and the change in height/angle causes stress after being shod.

The are really so many reasons it's hard to guess...maybe you could set up an appointment with the vet a day or so after your horse gets shod, so the vet is there to see the lameness? Then go from there? Or try to get a video of the horse when it's lame, so you can show the vet, even if the horse is currently sound.
                      "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone.
                        Both my vet and farrier will be at the appointment.
                        At this point it could be something as simple as shoeing to something more major.
                        Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Comment

Working...
                        X