• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tribute Feed vs Triple Crown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tribute Feed vs Triple Crown

A friend recently brought it to my attention that the Tribute horse feed is comparable to Triple Crown and the price is roughly 4$ less a bag. What is your opinion on this? That is a big savings over time and I'm interested. I have concerns that the quality won't be the same and my horses will be lacking in their diet. I am a breeder so the necessity of balanced nutrition is imperative. I currently feed Triple Crown senior to my whole barn which ranges from foals to five year old horses. (I was told by the TC reps that senior and growth are nearly identical.) I'd like a feed that is as similar to that as possible. The number of feeds that Tribute offers have my head spinning. Can someone offer insight into a comparable Tribute feed? How is it that Tribute can offer their feed at lower prices? I'm very happy with TC and won't change If there isn't something out there that's very comparable. But the price break would sure be wonderful. I can only get triple crown, blue seal, tribute, and purina in my area and I will not feed purina. Thanks all for your help!

Tribute makes good feed. I use their Essential K in the summer when we can get by with a ration balancer/fewer calories. But in the winter I still go back to TC Senior. There is not really a great equivalent out there, from what I can tell. Tribute does make a Maturity feed for seniors, but I believe it's high-ish in NSC. Over 20% if I recall correctly, but don't quote me on that...it's been awhile since I did the research.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Comment

I have talked with a very kind nutritionist (Dr. Dan Burke, Ph.D) for Tribute and he was more than pleased to answer my questions and seemed pretty adamant with area barns that feed Tribute to do a pasture and hay analysis to help establish which Tribute feeds was most appropriate.

I don't know the TC vs Tribute comparison, but the openness to info I received was pleasing (vs just getting a sales rep info). Maybe drop a phone call to Tribute and see if you can talk to a nutritionist?
      Semi Feral

Comment

I LOVE Tribute feeds for a number of reasons.

My picky horses readily eat it.

They look great on it. Dapples, soft, shiny coats. Great feet, even on the ones with previously blah feet. One is able to go barefoot 100% now where before he was gimpy on hard or rough ground even with shoes.

The formula is what it is. They don't change it based on ingredient availability or price. This means the price per bag fluctuates a little ($1 or less from month to month), but I know my horse is eating what I want him to, not just what the feed company could get to fit a fixed price.

It's a small company with an awesome staff. Melissa Drew is fantastic if you call and talk to her about which product fits your horse best. Dr. Dan Burke is the nutritionist and is even more fantastic than Melissa. He's also happy to talk to you about what is best for your horse.

Comment

I too, feed Tribute feeds. I love it! Have been feeding it for 6+ years now. Dr. Burke is AWESOME!! When my mare was so sick, he sent me diets and feeding plans to meet her needs, it was fantastic. They have tested my hay and built the feeding plan around it. I'm VERY pleased with their feed. I used to feed Buckeye, and before that, Blue Seal... and in my experience, nothing compares to the Tribute. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! I feed Kalm Ultra and Essential K. My horses look great, and feel great!!

Can't give you a comparison to the Triple Crown, but I second calling and talking to Dr. Burke, or just shoot him an email... he's a terrific guy and a wonderful resource! Very knowledgeable.
          Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - My Horse, My Heart <3

Comment

I am feeding Triple Crown Senior right now, but only because I can't readily get the Tribute line of feed. When on it, my horses looked absolutely fantastic and they really liked the feed.
            "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Comment

I'm the odd ball out-- I was disappointed with Tribute. I boarded at a barn for 10 months that fed it. The barn owner sang it's praises, and it looked comparable to the Buckeye products I was feeding. My horses received Essential K and my mare also briefly was on some additional Kalm N EZ.

I'm glad starrunner, Candysgirl, and Liscar were able to speak to their nutritionist, because I was unable to ever get any answers from the company on straightforward questions-- like, "how many calories per pound is your feed?" or "does xxxx product contain corn?" Not a single email or phone call was ever returned.

My horses did not thrive on it. I was very unimpressed, and kind of surprised because the feed receives generally good reviews. In my opinion, I'd rather pay the extra $4 for a (much) higher quality product like Triple Crown.
              Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I'm not sure if tribute even has a feed that's equivalent but I'd only change with the assurance that something was just as good or better. I definitely wouldn't want high starch or NSC values in whatever you choose.
                Last edited by About Time; Feb. 4, 2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Short answer no they do not have a feed like tc senior. But call the rep to be sure. I fed tc complete to my racehorses for a while, then race ready. Now I feed the tribute line to everyone. Even my hard keepers have picked up on it and I'm very happy. I feed performance advantage to the racers and select few at the farm, as well as their "mid level sweet" and kalm ultra. I love essential k as my old stallion has been thriving on that and the ultra. I switched because of the price and the fixed formula, I had gotten bags differing in look due to the corn prices from the other companies and it concerned me. In regards to tribute- every bag looks the same.
                  When I was switching I called my rep and she brought printouts of all their feeds on a sheet and also printouts of my current feeds. I compared. And switched.
                  Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find the NSC values for the Tribute feeds? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
                    Last edited by About Time; Feb. 4, 2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Not comparable! The $4 difference in price indicates this. I have sold both products and Triple Crown makes a better product. Compare tags side by side and you'll see the differences!
                      "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

My horses did fantastic on the Kalm Ultra. I switched feed guys and got TC and was disappointed. My horses dropped weight and I had to feed a ton of it. (Mild weather, same hay.) So I had to switch again. I would just call both places and just choose what is best for your heard...saving $4 a bag always sounds great...feed has gotten so pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by About Time View Post
                          I will have to give them a call.
                          Does anyone know where I can find the NSC values for the Tribute feeds? I can't seem to find them anywhere.
                          I asked and asked and asked that question and never got an answer from the company... hopefully someone else who got to speak with their nutritionist knows!
                          Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I sent an e-mail to Dr Burke asking for NSC values yesterday and got a long and thorough reply in less than 24 hours. Very helpful! I was given values for Kalm N EZ at 14.5%, pelleted maturity (senior feed) at 18%.

I would say for anyone with nutrition questions with Tribute, just email Dr Burke directly. dan.burke@kalmbachfeeds.com

I also have the feed catalog with all of the ingredients listed, so sorry you weren't able to access one of those Texarkana. They have a fixed formula and just one plant, so controlled consistency is what I've found.
                            Semi Feral

Comment

Tribute Kalm Ultra and Essential K NSC %

Originally posted by About Time View Post
                              I spoke with Jess today from Tribute....the Kalm Ultra is around 25% NSC, Kalm Performer(textured) is around 26% and the Essential K is right around 14% NSC

Comment

I went to some lectures that Dr. Burke did at a vet convention last week, One was in regards to feeding high fat diets to performance horses. It was very interesting.

Comment

• Original Poster

I've started to switch my horses over to the tribute line. The problem is, my horses m (3 out of 7) don't like the ration balancer Essential K. This is mainly what I need from tribute because my horses are all quite plump and all I want is the nutrition from this low calorie nutrient dense feed. I do mix it with tribute's kalm n ez. They do seem to like that feed. I'm thinking I will just have to stick with triple crown. Bummer because I travel a half hour to buy TC and the store that sells tribute is only 5 miles away.

Comment

I think Tribute feed has simply the best quality control out there. A few years ago we had a sick horse and she had been on this and we used it again and I got to talk to their actual scientists. If I could get it here in NY, there is no question in my mind that I would feed their Kalm N Easy. I think it is superior. It smells good too.

Comment

I just picked up a bag of Tribute Right Choice textured 12% for my new Ottb mare who was being really picky...she didn't like TC Senior..not crazy about complete anymore, and didn't care for Pennfield Fibergized omega or Nutrena Black bag...but she loves this feed...licks bowl clean!

Comment

• Original Poster

Just wanted to update you all that I did officially make the switch to Tribute feeds and I'm super happy with it so far. I feed most everyone Kalm and Easy and a couple get Kalm Ultra for the added fat. Everyone looks amazing and They're eating it well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X