• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Going soy free?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

copra is essentially dried coconut meat with most (but not all) of the oil extracted. its whats left after squeezing out the coco oil. Supposedly (per the marketing machine trying to make money off this stuff) whats left has good stuff in it that is soothing to the hindgut. And supplies cool energy cause it still has about 10% fat left, and is high fiber. Its basically another industry waste material trying to find a good use (rather like beet pulp). If it still tastes like coconut I could see my horses going gaga for it!

Comment

With the Equipride - I've never had a horse turn it down, as long as they were introduced slowly. It is salty so it takes some getting used to. Start with 1/8 of that blue cup that comes with it per feeding. A splash of canola oil helps it stick to dry feed stuffs; or it will stick nicely to any feed with molasses in it. Mix very thoroughly. After a week or so, increase to a 1/4 cup per feeding and so on.

Incidentally, if you can get the feed store to carry the large 50# bags, you'll save about 25% of the overall price.

Oh and thanks for the review of M10. I'm going to look into it.

Comment

I took my three (1 TWH, 2 miniatures) soy free about a year ago when one of the miniatures was having health problems. They were getting Triple Crown Lite, a rashion balancer for easy keepers in the correct amount for their weights. The one mini had wet stools and was gassy, so his tail was always soaked. He also had runny eyes, swollen glands, cresty neck, swollen sheath and a big pot belly. I could not get him to loose a single pound even with hard work. Put him on alfalfa pellets and top dressed them with California Trace and within couple days his eyes and gas cleared up. Within a couple months he was way better all around, as well as much more energetic and happy to work.

As someone who has suffered with health issues for 10 years, dr thought I was crazy, was finally diagnosed as gluten intolerant and now GF for only 6 weeks and feeling 10 years younger.....OH HECK YEAH DIET CAN MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!

Comment

PNW AMTS Dealer...yes I totally get the food intolerance bit also. I have Celiac that went undiagnosed and untreated for years. Finally figured out what was triggering my miserable IBS symptoms and have been gluten free for 6 years and Paleo Diet for 2 and it's like having my life back also.

I was probably the first person a few years ago who finally figured out that soy could be an issue for horses...at least on this forum. I have a herd of rare breed horses and most of those somewhat related. I switched from plain oats/normal horses to a RB and all hell broke loose it seemed. I had a number of horses get grossly obese in a few weeks despite feeding them nearly nothing...no pasture, next to no hay, but they got their 1 lbs of RB...just kept getting bigger. Vet and I are so baffled at this point as I'd called in for help. They looked like they had cellulite and were bloated. Some mares developed udders as well.

Overall hooves went to crap that summer also with more WL separation I've ever seen in my mostly tough hooved horses...and surely some of that was the obesity but I saw this in all my horses across the board...but considering I'd changed NOTHING but the concentrate feed, it sure was suspicious.

I also had a suckling filly turn "crazy" about 2 months old...about when she started to really chow down with her dam at dinner time. Her behavior turned around quickly when I pulled her off that feed. She's now a normal young horse in work and training.

One of my broodmares inexplicably got laminitic. She was not IR..was actually lactating and a bit thin. At that point I took all the horses off the RB that day cold turkey. The mare was immediately better and suffered very minor rotation and the other horses started to loose the bloated look. Nearly all lost the extra weight in a month or so or normal dieting and went back out on pasture.

The mare who got laminitic has been out on pasture the 4 years since then with no more trouble...and no more hoof problems, no crazy horses, nor unexplainable obesity and related issues.

I feed alfalfa pellets...about 1-2 lbs a day per horse and use oats if needed as well as beet pulp and rice bran. No flax...just to expensive for as many horses as I'm feeding and I have dapples without it. Good quality grass hay and pasture and no more problems...no more soy either. Learned my lesson.

I honestly don't know what the trigger is but some possibilities that have come up in discussion are: phytoestrogens which are potent and bioactive in soy..more so than any other legume, antinutrients/toxins which are things like phytates which block mineral absorption...phytates are also found in grains....soy has a lot of anti nutrients compared to other feeds though. Also suggested was that hexane, a rather nasty toxic chemical, is used in processing soy might be leaving behind some residues. Soy is toxic right off the plant in the field and requires processing to make it edible..or whatever your definition of edible is.

Comment

Originally posted by arabiansrock View Post
            copra is essentially dried coconut meat with most (but not all) of the oil extracted. its whats left after squeezing out the coco oil. Supposedly (per the marketing machine trying to make money off this stuff) whats left has good stuff in it that is soothing to the hindgut. And supplies cool energy cause it still has about 10% fat left, and is high fiber. Its basically another industry waste material trying to find a good use (rather like beet pulp). If it still tastes like coconut I could see my horses going gaga for it!
            Thanks for the explanation! You learn something new every day!
            Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

I have heard of oat flour for hind gut health too, but no idea if it makes them nuts like normal oats. I will be experimenting with it this year on my sassy thoroughbred.

And good to know about flax everyone! I've never been on that bandwagon, we started on the chia one right away. But still good to know!

Comment

Originally posted by TBRedHead View Post
                I have heard of oat flour for hind gut health too, but no idea if it makes them nuts like normal oats. I will be experimenting with it this year on my sassy thoroughbred.
                Oat fiber is the main ingredient in Succeed... add some yeast and you've saved yourself $100 a month.
                Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

My mare gets super gooey eyes when on soy. I will keep all my horses on alfalfa pellets, and whatever added fats are needed. Unless they are doing strenuous work I don't think they need anything else. Good luck

Comment

Daydream Believer, just curious......which RB were you feeding?

Comment

Originally posted by autumn50 View Post
                      Daydream Believer, just curious......which RB were you feeding?
                      Progressive Grass Balancer. I think soy is the first and third ingredient.

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
                        Oat fiber is the main ingredient in Succeed... add some yeast and you've saved yourself $100 a month.
                        Oh wow! I just get 50# bags of oat flour for cheap! He's on Kombat Boots, so I'm totally doing it right

Comment

• Original Poster

short update

Well my three horses have been soy free for a week. They now get equipride, flax seed, rice bran, timothy pellets, alfalfa pellets, and their supplements. Mind you the pellets is only what will fit in a one gal ziplock bag no more, so about 4-6 cups total pellets depending on which horse.

So as of Sunday what I have seen is:

24 year old arab mare with severe arthritis in one knee - cantered under saddle for first time in almost two years, and DID NOT want to stop. Daughter had to tell her three laps (small indoor, not large outdoor) was enough.

11 year old arab mare is even hotter and more hyper than before. I lunged her to try and get her brain back yesterday before DD rode her. didn't work. She wouldn't even trot for DD, just wanted to canter, so I told DD go ahead and canter until she is willing to trot. She was finally calm when done.

8 yr old TB gelding - Kind of bouncy leading him up from pasture so I decided to lunge him before getting on. GOOD idea! He ran and ran and ran (this is a horse that does not like to canter he has canter issues). Turned around and he ran some more. I finally got on and boy was he spicy still. YOu could just feel him looking for an excuse to let a buck out. DD ended up getting on and pushing him really forward in trot for me until he got his brain back.

So take away soy, have a lower sugar diet, and all three get hot?
                          i suppose it could be weather changes but this is norcal it is pretty warm here, and has been fairly consistent warm weather for a few weeks. Not quite sure what to make of it, will see how week two goes.

Comment

I would think it would take more time than that to see that much of a difference from a feed change and it is probably just the fact that winter is ( hopefully) coming to an end! Can I ask why you feed tim/alf pellets when they eat plenty of hay already? I see that as a common thing here, just wondering what the thinking is behind it? Just a filler, of sorts ?

Comment

Don't jump to conclusions. It's a time of year when lots of horses begin to get happy feet. Being enthusiastic and wanting to play on any given day is not how I would define a "hot" horse.
                              Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Candyappy
                                here in CA barns don't free feed hay. they get hay am and pm. (7 and 4 in my case). So if I want them to have something midday I have to provide lunch. I was feeded a fortified feed (at a low rate) but got on a kick of getting off soy and seeing if there are any changes. And since horses are meant to eat forage and all the place back east seem to extoll the virtues of hay 24/7, I figured get rid of the processed feed and add...Hay.

Deltawave, I agree way to early for conclusions, it was just funny that all three felt REALLY good yesterday. Our winter has already been over for a month and a half. We really only had about 3-4 weeks of truly winter weather. Maybe March and april will have something but so far.... dry and warm. Not a good outlook for the water supply.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well just another short update on my soy free experiment. Its been 4 weeks now, and I can't really say I see any real difference other than all three of my horses feel "good" eg a little spunky, spooky, running like idiots on the lunge line. Most likely its the weather, cold nights but warm days, and some wind thrown in.

Good news is my tb is finally eating the equipride, he is up to 1 cup now. I think I am actually spending MORE money feeding them this way than using bagged feed. Someone tell me I am doing better for my horses feeding them this way than using bagged processed feed????? At least my mares who only eat grass hay are getting a little alfalfa this way.

Comment

Personally with any feed change I wouldn't really judge the results until 90 days. It takes that long for their bodies/coats/hooves to show any significant change. The one thing I think you might notice sooner is a behavior change (assuming soy was responsible for bad behavior in the first place).

I think it's a personal decision. I've started the M10 (soy free balancer from McCauley) and so far so good! But it's only been a week. Cheaper option then Equipride and more palatable. You may want to look into it if you can get McCauley's.

I mix it with Ultra Bloom (pelleted rice bran) for my TB mare who's tough to keep weight on. She also gets a 1/3 cup of canola oil. At night she also gets a beet pulp mash mixed with chopped carrots, I call it her 'dessert'. The other two easy kids just get the M10.

Comment

Someone tell me I am doing better for my horses feeding them this way than using bagged processed feed?????
                                      Define "better". Have a look at your horses in another month and then again at 6 months and if they look better, feel better, you're saving money and all's well, then you'll have your answer.
                                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

I noticed a change in my guy with the soy allergy real quick. Within two weeks his eyes quit running and his swollen glands went down, his diarrhea was gone, and within a month his hard crest and swollen sheath was back to normal. In about two months he also got more energy, endurance, and was happier to work. I didn't see any changes in my other two horses, but they didn't really exhibit signs of allergy/intolerance to begin with.

Comment

Is the flax new? My gelding, Koko, has had issues with too much flax in the past. It makes him EXTRA spooky and even my vet could see the difference. I have to really limit how much he gets, and recently switched joint supplements (went to straight MSM) and dropped another supplement to make sure he's only getting a minimal amount in his SmartHoof.

ETA: Both of my horses are actually getting soy for the first time now. After my gelding's laminitis, I switched them to a "low-carb" feed for their snack, and it contains soy. I haven't had any issues, but they are only getting a quart a day each.

Comment

Working...
                                          X