• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Feeds comparable to Nutrena Compete?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeds comparable to Nutrena Compete?

Hi all,

I feel kind of silly for asking this question since I'm a vet and I should know this stuff (but I do dogs and cats mostly!). I need some wise horsepeople to help me

My new horse is growing still as a 4.5 year old WB cross, and he has been on Nutrena Compete. The problem is that it's more expensive and a bigger hassle for my barn manager to get that feed every month. The only feed stores that carry it are either too far away, or they don't carry any other brands of shavings or feed that we use routinely, making it more of a hassle.

Right now I'll make it happen if I have to, but does anyone know of a feed that is comparable to Nutrena Compete for a growing horse? The Purina 10:6 looked very similar but a local feed store person said we'd have to put him on a growth supplement in addition to that feed :/

Many thanks!

What brands do you have available?

I'd far, far prefer to see a horse on Triple Crown Growth. The Nutrena Compete has a NSC level of 36% per their own site - yikes.

The only Purina feed I'd be comfy with is the Ultium Growth if he needs calories, or the Enrich 32 ration balancer if he doesn't need so much, or maybe that 32 plus a couple pounds of alfalfa pellets (or similar) if he's in between

Comment

• Original Poster

Purina seems to be the most easily available feed here.
      http://www.horse.purinamills.com/pro...2-0032691.aspx this feed, the Strategy Professional GX, seems to be the most comparable to me in terms of nutrient profile...is that a bad choice? I can't find the NSC level on the website.

He is on free choice T&A hay as well, if that makes any difference. He is fit and shiny and happy now and I just would hate for him to drop weight with switching feeds.

Edit: I can get the Triple Crown, but the only store that carries it nearby is the same one that carries the Nutrena. What is the benefit of the Triple Crown Growth over the Compete? Thank you.

Comment

How much of the Nutrena do you feed him now? Often you can end up feeding less of a lower sugar feed with the same results (or better )

At his age, you don't really need a "growth" feed, though good ones certainly aren't something to avoid.

Last I knew, the NSC of the Strategy GX was in the upper 20's. Maybe ok for a hard working horse who's burning lots of calories and needs more carbs, but not what I'd consider suitable for a young and still growing a bit WB cross. The Ultium Growth is at least below 20 - I think it's about 18%

Comment

• Original Poster

He's just going through a growth spurt, as his hind end shot up and now we're waiting for the front end to catch up. I agree that a "growth" feed isn't really necessary, but he looks great on the current feed. We're doing 2 scoops twice daily. I haven't weighed the scoop yet per say but it's a standard horse scooper. (I know, I know!)

I'd be thrilled to spend less, feed less, and have same or better results. So you think the Ultium Growth is the way to go? I'll ask the girl at the feed store, and see if anyone else has an opinion too. Thank you so much! This is like a new territory for me, haha.

Comment

yeah, they can for sure still be growing at that age (and for another couple of years too), but the "growth" feeds are really designed for the weanling-1-2-3yo ranges, give or take, because of the elevated levels of nutrition needed for all that growth.

Most pelleted feeds you can consider about 1.25lb/qt, give or take, unless otherwise known. So, if it's a 2qt scoop, that's anywhere from 8-10lb or so, which is quite a lot. That's a LOT of sugar.

So, given the number of calories he's currently eating, yes, the UG would be where I'd start.

Comment

One other thing you would probably like to do, not just for your own sake but because there are some continuing education credits, is to take some of the online equine nutrition courses offered by Dr. Eleanor Kellon, V.M.D. on her website www.drkellon.com
              One of the cool things you would discover is how to get your hay - supposed to be the horse's main diet - analyzed and then plan any other feedstuffs so as to provide a nutriitionally balanced ration for the horse.
              I agree with those who recommend Triple Crown products, but that is actually very useful to know that Ultium Growth has such a relatively reasonable NSC level.
              Jeanie
              RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

Standard scooper? My standard scooper is this three quart one. If that's what you're talking about, your horse is getting a WHOPPING amount of hard feed--I find a 3 qt scoop holds about 5 lbs of pelleted feed, for an enormous 20 lbs fed a day. No wonder your barn manager is getting tired of buying it!

Ultium is an excellent Purina option. I might also look at Omolene 400 or 500, as they do seem to be quite similar to the Triple Crown offerings (although I'm not sure where the NSC falls.) Another to look at could be Equine Senior Healthy Edge--I have used this and been quite happy with it, but again, not sure what the NSC is.

Comment

Omolene 400's NSC is about 24% IIRC. I think the 500 is over 40%.

Comment

In Florida, I think Seminole is widely available? Their Wellness Perform Safe has a similar fat content (8%) with 12% protein, much lower NSC (9% I think) and much higher fiber while still being a pellet. Same top four ingredients as TC Growth, though in a different order. You might also look at their Grow Right.

What's the rest of the barn on, though? I'd probably try to go with something that your BM is already getting if at all possible.
                    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

Comment

I'd also recommend Seminole Wellness Show and Sport 12%/12
                      %/16 % or Seminole Complete Safe. 12%/8%/17%.

Feeding any horse two scoops from a standard 3qrt scoop a meal is a LOT of cereals to digest in one sitting.

What is his hay consumption like ? What grain would your BM prefer to feed ?

I"d take a long hard look at his hay make sure he is getting 2% of his body weight at least in good quality forage then fill in the missing pieces with a top line grain , pick one with a love NSC and one that is a fixed formula feed.
                      "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Comment

• Original Poster

I do not think it is a 3 qt scoop...if anything it's a 2 qt, but I'll have to check.

The other horses are on Country Acres (Purina) 12% pellet.

I will have to see if Seminole is easy enough to get. Those are great options, thanks! My BM would prefer to feed something that's easier to get than the Nutrena and other than that is deferring the decision to me. So, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the numbers and feeding options. He gets 5-6 flakes daily and I have to admit I'm not exactly sure how many pounds the hay is, but an average one is 60 lbs, so 5 x 5 = 25 lbs, and he's about 1200 lbs, so that's about 2%. I think the hay is adequate.

So, I guess my choices thus far are:
                        Purina Ultium Growth
                        Purina Senior Active Healthy Edge -- is the phosphorus too low? Concern for growing bones...
                        Seminole Wellness Perform Safe
                        Seminole Wellness Show and Sport
                        Seminole Complete Safe
                        Triple Crown Growth

Is that about it? Should I cut back the amount I'm feeding when I switch too? Or is the lower amount of NSCs make it OK to feed same amount? Or does it all come down to calories and feeding guidelines? Geez, it's so easy for dogs and cats...just put it down based on calorie intake and adjust as needed. LoL!

Comment

How much work is he in?

I fed that much grain to my terribly hard keeping TB mare when she was in hard, full work, in the middle of winter. She also got as much hay as she could eat.

Four scoops a day is a LOT, even if it's a two quart scoop. Without knowing anything about the horse or the situation, my first thought would be that the barn is short on hay and trying to make it up in hard feed. Granted, there are some circumstances where that much hard feed would be required, but they're not terribly common.

Regardless, I would want an explanation on why the horse is getting that much grain. Even if it's a two qt scoop, you're talking about 10-13 ish lbs of grain a day.

(I also wouldn't feed TC Growth to a 4 1/2 year old. Complete or Senior, sure, but not Growth. Growth is labeled for broodmares, weanlings and yearlings.)

Comment

Country Acres is really bottom of the barrel feed lol

As for the phos comment - the ratio is at least 1.8:1 ca/phos, as high as 2.1:1. That's actually a higher ratio range than TC Growth, which comes in at 1.25-2.08:1. So no, it's not too low

As for feeding less - aim to switch to the same amount you're feeding now, and adjust as appropriate. You might not see a difference in his weight once you're fully switched over for several weeks or months, just depending on how he's growing at the time and using calories. You might find quickly that he's gaining too much weight. So just eyeball things, particularly rib coverage. I'd say use a weight tape, but that's likely to increase just as a result of growth in general.

Simkie - there's absolutely nothing wrong with Growth for a 4yo If you compare the nutritional profiles of the Growth to the Sr, they are nearly identical If you use the argument that it's "only" formulated for broodies, weaners, and yearlings, then you shouldn't feed the Sr either, because it's "only" formulated "specifically for older horses"

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, the other horses are pretty easy keepers (QH/paint types) and don't really use the grain as a significant part of their diet. I honestly don't see that drastic a price difference between that stuff and the other Purina stuff to make it that much worth the while.

I was feeding that much because that's what his previous owner was feeding. She said since he was going through a growth spurt, he needed more. He wasn't always getting that much. She had him on free choice O&A prior. He loves his T&A now.

I guess I shouldn't feel bad about cutting back, as he probably is getting enough calories either way. I definitely don't feel like he's gained any weight since coming home (nearly 3 weeks now). He hasn't lost any weight. If we switch feeds he might gain even, if the calories come from fat more than other sources.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you everyone,

I am going to switch to Seminole Perform Safe since it nutritionally seems to be fairly spot-on, has low NSCs, and it is the cheapest in the area!

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                                X