• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help!! Horses won't eat the hay! :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToN Farm View Post
    I realize I'm in the very slim minority with my opinion, but I would never resort to the 'tough love' thing when it comes to hay. If all horses are turning their noses up at the hay, it's crap hay. Sure, if they have nothing, they would probably eat anything. Is that how we want to treat the animals we love?
    I guess I should toss out my whole barn full of hay then.

I recently purchased round bales from a different farmer. These round bales are clearly horse crack type hay, aka it has some alfalfa in it, versus the straight timothy that the square bales in the barn are (and their previous round bales were).
    This whole week (first new round bale) my horses come in at night and look at their square bale hay and give me the evil stink eye. They are eating about 1/4 of the hay they normally would in their stalls over night. (But running out to that round bale every morning like a kid on Christmas morning running to their presents.)
    Using your theory suddenly the hay that has been fine all along is now bad hay and I should just toss it out.

Horses, like dogs, cats, kids, husbands, etc will not eat their boring food if they know there is an option for eating something better.

I like the idea of giving them a few days of very little extra yummy hay and mainly the regular hay and see if they start eating it. I bet they will.

Walker, rained on does not equal moldy. If the hay is properly dried prior to baling and does not mold in the field it is just fine. Clearly some hay rain = no chance of it not molding when things are just not right to be able to get it dry. But a blanket statement that rained on hay is always moldy is not accurate at all.
    Last edited by trubandloki; Jan. 29, 2013, 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by ToN Farm View Post
      I realize I'm in the very slim minority with my opinion, but I would never resort to the 'tough love' thing when it comes to hay. If all horses are turning their noses up at the hay, it's crap hay. Sure, if they have nothing, they would probably eat anything. Is that how we want to treat the animals we love?
      I couldn't disagree with this more. While it is certainly plausible, and surely happens often, a horse rejecting hay automatically = the hay is crap cannot be a blanket statement. No more than one can judge the nutritional value of hay just by looking at it. And I have the EA hay tests to back it up
      Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Originally posted by alto View Post
        What does this say about the horses that eat straw?

Or if 9/10 horses think the hay is just fine & the 10th horse refuses to eat more than 1/3 of each flake - is the 10th horse just "smarter" & more versed in determining dangerous hay quality?

& sometime, dust is ... well ... just dust
        (as in no irrigation on that field & no rain for 2 weeks before cutting & the hay was slightly dusty)
        I agree with this a zillion percent.

Sometimes dust really is just dust. Beautiful clean hay that has been sitting in a barn for 18 months can get dusty just from starting to break down.

ime, mold dust is wispy like smoke when you see it, its spores not actual dust, they spores are designed to be carried on the wind so they float in a particular fashion. Dust dust is cloudy and poofy. Its very common to have dust dust even on new hay if it was cut and baled in drought conditions.
        Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Yep, sometimes dust is just dust - I can tell you the pile of brown dirt on the floor after piling my hay into the wheelbarrow (I peel off round bales) is just...dirt.

Comment

Just had the experience of having mold (unseen by me) in lovely looking hay. I was shown the itty bitty "hairs"on the sides of the stalks. Would never in a million years have found it - and I have been feeding, buying, stacking, hauling, cutting, turning hay for a long time. Just not familiar with whatever that mold is (someone already pointed it out). My guys (donkey no longer can have more than a handful) are usually pretty enthusiastic about hay, and my hay guy(s) are great, so when they put their noses up, I am suspicous. I buy a LOT of hay at the same time from the same guy here in montana so they are used to it and rarely say no! In Vermont, can buy it as I go and if there is mold, as there was the hay guy takes the hay right back for his cows! horses totally spoiled - if they don't eat it, it gets returned!!

Comment

• Original Poster

They are getting better about eating this hay. Funny thing is, outside, they hoover it up... but in their stalls, they just look at me like, "meh". It is hay that was grown by me. Baled by me. It is not moldy. It IS a bit dusty. I think it's just breakdown of the leaves. We had drought conditions here last summer, so go figure that when half the field was down, it rained... UGH! While certainly not perfect by any stretch, this hay is OK. They just don't really want to eat it - it's like diet food... no sugar added. LOL. Like I said though, they are getting better. I have been putting a flake of the Timothy in between my grass hay in their hay nets, and they'll eat the Timothy out of there first, but by morning, the majority of the brown grass hay is gone. I talked to the guy at the feed store last weekend and he confirmed what I have been finding out... NO ONE has any hay, and if they do, it's like what I have. So, we're all in the same boat around these parts. He did say, at least what I'm feeding is good for them in a bad hay year, so that made me feel a bit better. I also started adding some Timothy pellets to their meals... not much, but a little, and added another pound of ration balancer to the chubs in the barn (went from 1/2 lb. a feeding, to 1 lb. a feeding), and that's all she gets... and seems to be doing just fine.
              Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - My Horse, My Heart <3

Comment

Originally posted by Liscar View Post
                They are getting better about eating this hay. Funny thing is, outside, they hoover it up... but in their stalls, they just look at me like, "meh". It is hay that was grown by me. Baled by me. It is not moldy. It IS a bit dusty. I think it's just breakdown of the leaves. We had drought conditions here last summer, so go figure that when half the field was down, it rained... UGH! While certainly not perfect by any stretch, this hay is OK. They just don't really want to eat it - it's like diet food... no sugar added. LOL. Like I said though, they are getting better. I have been putting a flake of the Timothy in between my grass hay in their hay nets, and they'll eat the Timothy out of there first, but by morning, the majority of the brown grass hay is gone. I talked to the guy at the feed store last weekend and he confirmed what I have been finding out... NO ONE has any hay, and if they do, it's like what I have. So, we're all in the same boat around these parts. He did say, at least what I'm feeding is good for them in a bad hay year, so that made me feel a bit better. I also started adding some Timothy pellets to their meals... not much, but a little, and added another pound of ration balancer to the chubs in the barn (went from 1/2 lb. a feeding, to 1 lb. a feeding), and that's all she gets... and seems to be doing just fine.
                Liscar - I don't know your hay growing techniques, but just throwing things out there for you to consider. We grow hay on our farm and sometimes all it takes is for the soil Ph balance to be off, or if you put down fertilizer, maybe it knocked off your Ph balance. This is why it is important to have your soil tested frequently, so that you know if you need to lime or fertilize. You may be doing all of this and if you are, disregard this part of my post.

I am also of the opinion that horses should not be starved into eating hay if, I repeat, if after a reasonable amount of time they are still refusing it. We normally feed Fescue with some Coastal combined. However, years back I purchased a large load of Alicia from a well known grower here locally. The hay was beautiful and he always analyzes his hay so I knew what I was buying. I was feeding 12 horses at the time and 10 of them turned their noses up day after day after day. After two weeks, they were dropping weight and not eating it so I gave up and returned what was left of the load. I watched the grower split open a bale and throw it to his horses in the pasture and they immediately devoured it. I can't say why 10 of my horses refused it after two weeks' time, but it proved to me that horses will starve themselves if they don't like their feed.

I make it my policy now that if I purchase hay from someone, I try to test a few bales before unloading the entire amount. I've actually never had them be that picky again, but I haven't bought Alicia hay since that time.
                Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Liscar View Post
                  Ok, so if it really is not good... I should just feed 'em pellets/cubes, etc. Just have to figure out how much and how to feed it to 'em.

I don't really know what could be wrong with it... other than it's just not as pallitable as the other stuff. It was rained on then raked and allowed to dry, and then baled... so it's not nice and green. I figure it is the equivalent of soaked hay... maybe I'm wrong. I'm frustrated for sure.
                  How much rain? A light mist, very short rain or drizzle on still green, undried, newly cut hay is one thing. If your hay was even mildly wet after it was mostly dried it isn't tasty to most horses and you will throw away way more than they will eat. If the bales are dusty then unload them to someone as " cow hay" if you can and get some edible hay.

Comment

Working...
                  X