• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

ANOTHER Pentosan question...sorry :/

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ANOTHER Pentosan question...sorry :/

I have (what i consider) 2 very amazing vets (both practicing from seperate clinics)...I have discussed with both of them the possibility of using Pentosan for my older geldings hock arthritis...problem is, they will NOT write me a script for it because they don't feel it's been on the market long enough to note any harmful, longterm side effects. It sounds like such an amazing "too good to be true" drug, and I sort of wanted to give it a shot...BUT I do have my reservations also, especially since my 2 vets won't allow me to try it. I'm not sure whether to go find a vet that WILL write me a script, and go against my other 2 vets or just find another alternative, ie hock injections, adequan...etc...Any advice would be awesome...TIA

This is an article posted by Thoroughbred Times about a year ago that disusses some of the testing done on Pentosan and what it is thought to actually DO in arthritic joints.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/hor...8&type=hhjoint

Comment

That's interesting. My vet didn't know much about it, but she did some research and wrote the Rx. I think she trusts my ability to research and evaluate - and given that I have a not-so-young horse who is unhappy if she isn't quite mobile, it seems a reasonable trade-off, even if there are some long term issues to monitor.

Comment

If it's within your means, you could always try a course of Adequan to see if it helps.

I'm not convinced it's miraculous in any way or better than Adequan, but the price difference is enormous and has made me more willing to use it.
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

Based on ther article it sounds like a reasonable risk for a semi retired horse but not one in full work. I think ill stick with adequan
          www.destinationconsensusequus.com
          chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
            Based on ther article it sounds like a reasonable risk for a semi retired horse but not one in full work. I think ill stick with adequan
            What about the article made you feel that way? They indicated 14 episodes in the years of use, 13 of which were injection site reactions. I don't see how that would be cause for concern.

Comment

It effects their ability to clot.
              www.destinationconsensusequus.com
              chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

All PSGAGs have heparin-like actions. Which are transient and mild, generally speaking. Even pure heparin, when injected, has a half life of only several hours. Clotting parameters may not "return to normal" for 24 hours, but that does not mean there is a meaningful antithrombotic effect for that long a period.

Would I give it to a horse 2 days before surgery? Certainly not. Other than that, I don't see much of a problem and don't know that adequan is any different, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                  All PSGAGs have heparin-like actions. Which are transient and mild, generally speaking. Even pure heparin, when injected, has a half life of only several hours. Clotting parameters may not "return to normal" for 24 hours, but that does not mean there is a meaningful antithrombotic effect for that long a period.

Would I give it to a horse 2 days before surgery? Certainly not. Other than that, I don't see much of a problem and don't know that adequan is any different, to be honest.
                  That's what I was thinking. The same is true of any NSAID we take, but we take them all the same, right?

Comment

Have you tried an HA oral supplement? They work really well for older horses with thinning cartilage, and some are as cheap as Pentosan. You could always get 3 tubes of Conquer and try the loading dose for a week as a low-cost test. If that works well, then you've successfully avoided the issue. If not, I'd do hock injections and either continue oral HA & MSM as maintenance or find a vet (or try to convince one of the 2 you already know) to write you that script.
                    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Comment

Originally posted by katyb View Post
                      That's what I was thinking. The same is true of any NSAID we take, but we take them all the same, right?
                      The risks of NSAIDs are all pretty much a class effect, but the so-called "blood thinning" effect of NSAIDs is completely different than that of PSGAGs. NSAIDs paralyze our platelets (reversible, other than in the case of aspirin, and a mild effect) whereas PSGAGs block the formation of clots via an entirely different route. Also reversible, and mild, but certainly not something to ignore. I have not seen any data showing that adequan has less of an antithrombotic effect than pentosan. Which is not to say it does or does not--I am not on top of every piece of data out there!

Comment

Originally posted by retrofit View Post
                        Have you tried an HA oral supplement? They work really well for older horses with thinning cartilage, and some are as cheap as Pentosan. You could always get 3 tubes of Conquer and try the loading dose for a week as a low-cost test. If that works well, then you've successfully avoided the issue. If not, I'd do hock injections and either continue oral HA & MSM as maintenance or find a vet (or try to convince one of the 2 you already know) to write you that script.
                        Personally, I think the risk of adverse reaction to a hock injection is higher than the low risk of Pentosan IM.

Comment

Originally posted by stryder View Post
                          Personally, I think the risk of adverse reaction to a hock injection is higher than the low risk of Pentosan IM.
                          Me too.

Comment

My vet had never heard of Pentosan. I pulled together some info and also gave him the link to this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaRq7ZPcKeU

Could not get him to take the time and even watch the video. I even asked his office for a price and told them Wedgewood stocks it. Like talking to a brick wall!

Called out another vet clinic. Thought it very unprofessional that I could not even get a nay or yeh out of my vet that had serviced me here for several years. New vet came out and listened to what I had to say....which included "I do not need a lameness exam to know my horse has OA to this point". I told him that I had discussed options with the other vet and what they were, also told him I asked for prices (for each treatment we discussed) from that office and never got them, and finally told him my friends suggested trying pentosan cuz it was better and cheaper for Equine OA in most cases. Works better and cheaper sounds good to me!!!!

He said he had never heard of pentosan and described himself as a lameness vet. BUT...

He walked over to his truck. Googled it with his computer and did some quick reading. He then told me what he would do for the horse. I had already tried that with little improvement. So he gave me some Previcox and told me his office would be in touch within a day or 2 giving his general opinion and cost.

Long story short...had a price quote within about 4 business hrs and his blessing if I wanted to try. Afew months later my 25yr is off all NSAIDS and running around kicking up his heels like a 2 yr old.

The literature is out there. Do some internet sleuthing....cuz yes as Chezzie's link states they have been using it for 30 yrs in other parts of the world.

I am so impressed with Pentosan that I also started 3 old dogs on it. One of which improved dramatically in 4 days. The other 2 show only modest improvement.

I would never hesitate to try it again on other horse or dog if needs be. I am truly grateful to myself for moving on and being very proactive about my horse and pentosan. And my dog too. Geesh the old girl as so stiff even on NSAIDS she was getting up slow and had to walk out 20-30 minutes to shake off the stiffness. Now she trots around and does her "happy dance" for food again.

Comment

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
                              My horse is a show hunter in full work in a trainer's program. He has been on Pentosan for over a year, and through numerous cuts, scrapes, and turn out boo boos, he has never bled out.

OP, when I first brought Pentosan up to my vet, she had heard of it but never prescribed it. We have a good and long standing relationship, so she wrote me the script and asked me to keep her posted on my results. Her practice now prescribes Pentosan regularly.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the great responses! I think i'm going to call my favorite vet out of the two, and compile all the information I can about Pentosan and beg him to write me a script...Maybe he will relent...:-P

Comment

Originally posted by AzulBlue View Post
                                  Thanks for all the great responses! I think i'm going to call my favorite vet out of the two, and compile all the information I can about Pentosan and beg him to write me a script...Maybe he will relent...:-P
                                  You shouldn't have to beg. Tell him you have done your homework, have considered the pros and cons, risks and benefits, and with all due respect you would like to hear specifics as to why he would not recommend this product. If you're satisfied with his explanation, there is always Adequan, which is also a very good product and IME more vets are comfortable with it because it has been widely used in the US for many years.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                    You shouldn't have to beg. Tell him you have done your homework, have considered the pros and cons, risks and benefits, and with all due respect you would like to hear specifics as to why he would not recommend this product. If you're satisfied with his explanation, there is always Adequan, which is also a very good product and IME more vets are comfortable with it because it has been widely used in the US for many years.
                                    @Delta...does Adequan do JUST as good as Pentosan? Or would hock injections be best? With YOUR experience, what would be your 1st choice? 2nd?

Comment

I would probably use Adequan if it were priced better, just simply due to weight of evidence. Pentosan "wins" in my calculus because of the cost differential. I don't see it as 1/5th as effective as Adequan but the price is 1/5th! I would consider the two much closer than that in efficacy.

Joint injections are the LAST thing I would use if the other options included IM products. It's not that I don't think they're helpful but the risk is MUCH higher and IM products hit ALL the joints, not just one or two.

And I wouldn't even put oral supplements in this discussion, FWIW. They are orders of magnitude less important/useful IMO.
                                      Last edited by deltawave; Jan. 21, 2013, 03:07 PM. Reason: needless hyperbole :p

Comment

Working...
                                      X