• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The mechanics of feeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mechanics of feeding

My horses are super easy keeper pets so I feed them a semi concentrated equine supplement (so they get a few cups a day) and trace mineral analysis shows all vitamin minerals are within normal range. The complete equine supplement I am feeding is also recommended by my vet for easy keepers.

I have been thinking of changing my horses over to a organic horse feed. I have been of the understanding with a complete equine ration you should be feeding around the suggested amount in order to achieve nutritional needs, considering the local hay is pretty much filler. My hesitations to switching to this organic feed is that I am not sure my pets need grain and that if I was to feed the suggested amount for a 1000 lbs ldle horse I would be significantly increasing there amount of food. Or if I was to feed less than suggested amount I would possibly need to add a supplement on top of the complete feed. Is my way of thinking incorrect.

I have seriously considering switching my horses to the complete equine supplement that my barn owner is feeding her horses but are my concerns valid or am I over thinking. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, your thinking is correct. I would not increase the intake of grains in a horse that does not need them, simply to be "organic". Not sure what your desire is by changing to organic...is the hay they eat organic? If not, the minimal amount of organic grain doesn't make sense. If they don't need the supplement for anything beyond vitamin/mineral intake, then either find an organic version (does such a thing exist??) or keep them on their current ration.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

No. I would continue feeding them the ration balancer they are on.

Comment

unless the land they live on is certified organic, and he hay is grown on certified organic land with certified organic practices, you are essentially pi$$ing away your money with an organic feed.... and they'd be eating more.
        www.destinationconsensusequus.com
        chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

I would not assume the local hay is "pretty much filler" unless I had it tested.
          "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• Original Poster

The reason I am contemplating organic feed is because farm owner prefers all organic on her farm and feeds her horses organic feed. Saying local hay is filler was me being nice, it has been tested and has very little and next to nothing in it just dried grass not very green. Horses need to be supplemented with selenium and other minerals or can develop serious deficiencies. The organic feed is complete and appears lovely and barn owner horses have lovely shinny coats although they have only been on that feed a few months now. But Barn owner is actually feeding less than suggested amount for an idle horse. I am concerned that if I feed my horses the same they may develop as deficiency over time. I have been told of horses in our area have actually almost died attributed to a serious selenium deficiency. But it is not just selenium, the complete supplement my horses are on now gives them what they need, I have done a complete trace mineral panel and all vitamins and minerals were within normal range, also I am feeding the complete supplement recommended by my vet.

Comment

IMO, don't fix what isn't broken. "Organic" is not worth the hype unless you are trying to deal with a specific problem.
              come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

Originally posted by SAcres View Post
                IMO, don't fix what isn't broken.
                Exactly.

And if your horses are super easy keepers be thankful that your hay is "pretty much filler"!!
                https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
                Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
                www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

is the barn owner pressuring you to change?
                  www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                  chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

If your horses also have lovely shiny coats you are probably also fine with what you're feeding. Not that this is the only marker of a healthy and well-nourished animal, but changing for the sake of changing if your animals are doing fine doesn't make sense. You've said the product your VET recommends gives them what they need, so why change?

If the BO is insisting you change, that's a different story and IMO a terrible business practice.
                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
                      is the barn owner pressuring you to change?
                      Yes the barn owner is trying to convince me to change. I am just concerned grain may be to much for my horses. If they were in full work that would be another story but they are not in work and even when they were they were still easy keepers. My horses coats are not as shinny as I would like but I do see shine under that dirt. We live on the wet coast and I try and manage the mud as best possible but I have limited funds so we do have some mud and my horses like to roll and get dirty. Usually when my horse sheds out and has his first bath he looks gorgeous. I have actually had compliments the equine surgeon I sometimes use on how good my horse looked.

Comment

Then tell the barn owner as politely as possible that you appreciate her suggestion but will stick to what youre feeding. You know a lot about nutrition already, and yes, I think the grain would be too much if they are doing this well on ration balancer and hay. With your mineral results being normal, the horses happy and healthy, and your vet recommendations I see no reason to change what you are doing

Comment

• Original Poster

I have not changed anything . But as organic is really important to barn manager I am going to try and find an accessible organic supplement. BTW I truly appreciate organic non-GMO, I just need to be confident my horses adequate vitamins and minerals they need without getting much grain that I do not think need much of.
                          Last edited by Fharoah; Feb. 3, 2013, 04:08 AM.

Comment

If there is a change in BO horses, I would check the feed tag for flax, rice bran, etc before I assumed the shiny coats were due to improvement. I know plenty of people who feed Omega HS/flax as an alternative to actually currying their horses and are so proud of how they look!

PKN

Comment

Dynamite (marketing, if you google it add the marketing!) doesn't advertise organic, but they are as organic as you can get. They're actually the ONLY organic mill as far as I know, most mills spray with pesticides, not the machining, but the grounds, they do not. It may seem expensive, but you have to feed very little so it lasts forever. I would chat with a rep, if you need a suggestion I have a couple great ones who are really knowledgable and may even have alternative suggestions that will satisfy your Bo.

Comment

Originally posted by SAcres View Post
                                IMO, don't fix what isn't broken. "Organic" is not worth the hype unless you are trying to deal with a specific problem.
                                yep.
                                High Quality Tack Resale

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TBRedHead View Post
                                  Dynamite (marketing, if you google it add the marketing!) doesn't advertise organic, but they are as organic as you can get. They're actually the ONLY organic mill as far as I know, most mills spray with pesticides, not the machining, but the grounds, they do not. It may seem expensive, but you have to feed very little so it lasts forever. I would chat with a rep, if you need a suggestion I have a couple great ones who are really knowledgable and may even have alternative suggestions that will satisfy your Bo.

I live in Canada and they no longer list ingredients only the guaranteed analysis. When talking to the feed store they stated the feed companies were not allowed to label as GMO or non GMO. I hear different things from different sources so don't know what the true situation is.

Comment

Yes, Canada has WEIRD laws surrounding natural products. If you need screen shots, feel free to pm me! I have a friend in Canada who may have suggestions.

Comment

I don't understand why the BO would want to switch your horses to a presumably more expensive grain when the RB they are on is working perfectly fine? Who pays for the feed? Why should you have to purchase a new/different supplement to make up for the vit/min your horses WON'T be getting when they are given a small ration of complete feed (that won't be complete in your case because it sounds like they won't be able to handle the recommended amount).

If your horses are healthy, the appropriate weight, and happy with their current diet it would not seem like a wise decision to change t up completely (new feed, new amount, new supplement).
                                      "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Comment

Haven't quite figured out the common sense of organic anything, having been born long before such a concept was ever considered necessary (it was all organic back then) or possible.

Enjoying some aspects of this "Brave New World".
                                        Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Working...
                                        X