• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cushings horse owners- How the heck do you groom them?!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cushings horse owners- How the heck do you groom them?!?

I moved my old man (turning 27 this spring) down to me this past weekend. I am over the moon to have him with me again and to be able to keep a much, MUCH closer eye on him than just a few check ups a year.

The day after he moved in, I had my vet do a good going over of him, since, while he's had good basic care, I haven't been impressed with any of the professional care he's gotten in his time away. As I suspected, the vet started him on pergolide. His normally woolly coat is FAR woollier than ever before and it is is CURLY.

So, here's my question: how the HELL do you groom coats like this?!? He's not in any work (I may start hacking him a little, but nothing serious), and he lives out, so there is no reason to clip him right now. But his coat is crazy. I've tried grooming him a few times, and no tool or curry comb seems to really make a dent! I am sure part of the problem is he is in dire need of a bath, but it just doesn't look likely until we get a real warm day.

Otherwise, he's happy and healthy and still a complete maniac. He has some cataracts and his teeth need to be addressed, but he looks pretty good (the vet pointed out to me how the Cushings has changed his shape and how it will hopefully improve with meds), and has settled in very, very well and loves his BIG field with it's HUGE run ins. His new buddy is not too bad, but is a young whipper snapper (19), and kind of obnoxious.
    Amanda

For the really wooly hair, a main/tail brush is great for getting all the way to the skin.

Comment

Congrats on being reunited with your grand old man! You must be both thrilled.

My oldster has a very long thick coat. I kick all the mud off first with a rice root brush, and then I find these cheap plastic curries have the tine length and stiffness to get down into the thickness.

Then honestly, I use a leaf blower on mine and blow the dirt off sort of like vacuuming but in reverse. Obviously this is done outside far away from anything I don't want a cloud of dust settling on.

Then I'll brush him with a long stiff natural dandy so we don't turn into one giant ball of static electricity.

I have an easier time grooming him on really cold days, I take his blanket off and wait for his coat to poof then I don't have to quite wrestle with the thickness. Sure is arm tiring this time of year though.
      Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

I got a couple of those human hairbrushes used for blowdrying and styling. The old guy is really itchy right at the heave line and they get right down to the skin. Then I use the plastic curries, but really they just have too many teeth to get down deep
        I've thought about buying one of the little Dirt Devil vacs that a COTHer uses for mud removal on her horse, in fact I got right down to the page to order on the Dirt Devil site but I had some trouble with my account and my password so I gave up.

Really it's just endless, the only time I ever catch up is in the summer right around clip time.
        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
        Incredible Invisible

Comment

The Oster rubber coarse curry comb with lots of pointed rubber spikes, or something similar, works well for my 25 year old. After a couple of good baths, you should be able to groom him better.

Comment

I use cowboy magic green spot remover on the coat to cut through the crazy 5 inch hair.

Comment

Originally posted by AKB View Post
              The Oster rubber coarse curry comb with lots of pointed rubber spikes, .
              Yeah, I use the grooma version of this.

My method:

1) brush off mud with stiff, long natural bristle brush
              2) curry with grooma curry
              3) Vaccuum

And mind you, my fur ball is grey AND desperately wants to be brown.
              Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

Dirt Devil hand vac (be careful not to get into mane) and a Burr Out tool (for sheep).

Never used a FURminator but have seriously thought about it.

My mare is not Cush, but grows a yak winter coat. Her beard is 8" long and the birds stalk her during spring shed (not kidding).

Comment

Originally posted by D Taylor View Post
                  Dirt Devil hand vac (be careful not to get into mane) and a Burr Out tool (for sheep).

Never used a FURminator but have seriously thought about it.

My mare is not Cush, but grows a yak winter coat. Her beard is 8" long and the birds stalk her during spring shed (not kidding).
                  I was just thinking what about a furminator. Wonder if it would take some hair off, but not as much as clipping him.

I would probably clip him. My horse's normal winter coat drives me batty. If he every becomes a cushings horse then I would just clip him.
                  I love cats, I love every single cat....
                  So anyway I am a cat lover
                  And I love to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Beethoven View Post
                    I was just thinking what about a furminator. Wonder if it would take some hair off, but not as much as clipping him.

I would probably clip him. My horse's normal winter coat drives me batty. If he every becomes a cushings horse then I would just clip him.
                    Yes, if someone was brave enough to part with their cash and try one plz chime in!

Comment

Yes, if someone was brave enough to part with their cash and try one plz chime in!
                      I can attest to the fact that they work great on my dog! I would think they would do something to a horse! Hopefully someone will try it!
                      And I love to run.

Comment

I can attest to the fact that they work great on my dog! I would think they would do something to a horse! Hopefully someone will try it!
                        Do you use the FURminator Equine or is there a smaller version?

Comment

Do you use the FURminator Equine or is there a smaller version?
                          THere are one for dogs and cats! The one for cats works great too! I didn't even know they made one for horses! Thats cool!
                          And I love to run.

Comment

THere are one for dogs and cats! The one for cats works great too! I didn't even know they made one for horses! Thats cool!
                            I guess I did not realize there were dog and cat sizes. I jst destroyed another long tooth thinning rake on our Newfie. Decided I would upgrade to a show sheep thinning rake (about $25) but I will check out the dog size FURminator too....cuz the Equine is really pricy! Thx.

Comment

I found my large dog Furminator in Home Goods last year----for $27!!!! My guy has Cushings but with the Pergolide, he isn't as hairy as some. The Furminator worked OK, but I have better luck with a Shed Flower, a shedding blade, a human vented hairbrush, and a vacuum. He'll start shedding around March and I'll spend many many MANY hours scraping scraping scraping with the blade. I bought a new one last year and the teeth are much sharper than on my old one. I always unfold it, hold an end in each hand, and put some weight into it.

The fat fluffy barncat loves the Furminator and I think it works better on him.

As for everyday grooming in non-shedding season on the super hairy type, I think the hairbrush would work really well getting down to the skin. Could you use a trimmer and go with the hair to shorten it? Like when trimming legs?

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the tips.

This guy has ALWAYS been a fuzzball, and I've trying to use the method of grooming I used as a kid before I learned how to clip him- shedding blade, curry, brush...but the shedding blade barely touches him (it knocks the big chunks off, but doesn't do anything else).

I have the Grooma version of the Oster curry...does very little.

I like the idea of a hair brush, so will play with that some. And I have a vacuum, so will see if he remembers what that's all about!

Part of the problem is that his coat, in places, feels like someone who used to much gel. Very stiff and crunchy, and it really has the curls set in. I assume this is from being greasy and dirty, then really set in with all the rain and snow over the last month, plus just being a dirtbag. It just makes grooming him challenging. I am way to used to my sleek, clipped, going horses!
                                Amanda

Comment

The Furminator (or its knock offs, Furbuster, etc.) is designed to take out the undercoat in dogs, mainly. So using it on your horse you risk breaking hairs and damaging their coat.

That said, when your pony is covered in 3 inch long hair, you can afford some breakage. I've used mine before with success, especially during shedding season.

I don't think there's a ton of use in clipping him now, unless you know for sure he won't shed out come spring.

Comment

My old guy I would shave once a month for a long time.. but later years I wanted him to have his coat so in the very long areas I took my regular clippers and would clip downward to remove the long hairs that would even get matted.

I did notice on the Pergolide it got much easier and he didn't grow as much hair so maybe as time goes on and he is on the Pergolide longer it will get better.

Also I have put day sheets on and let them do some of the hair removal. I also put rubber door mats around poles in their stalls and they will scratch on them and they take off some of the hair themselves.

Lastly, congrats on having your ole guy back in your care. It's really the best... I love it too....
                                    Live in the sunshine.
                                    Swim in the sea.
                                    Drink the wild air.

Comment

I guess I'm the only one who says "I don't!" My Cushings pony has a coat so dense nothing gets through it. Since it's only 12F ("feels like 1F") with the wind, I'm not going to do anything to it! I brush the "outside" of the coat when it is muddy, but won't attempt to truly groom to the roots until he starts to shed.

I only got him in August, and he wasn't on Pergolide then and actually had a reasonably "normal" coat, so I am hoping that come spring he will actually shed out.

However, I am sure the bath will help a lot! A muddy or sweaty/dirty long coat is a nightmare!

What I used on my very hairy mini last year was a dog shedding rake like this:

http://www.coastalpet.com/products/p...m_Number=W6123

You can get them with two rows of teeth as well
                                      http://www.petstore.com/coastal-pet-...-rotating-pins

I have tried a furminator on my dogs and it is very tedious. I think it would work on horses, but would take a long time. It can break the coat rather than pull out the hair unless the hair is very loose.

Personally I'd try an undercoat rake first; it worked great on the mini.

Comment

I would clip and blanket, as long as you'll be able to keep him comfy - I get twitchy around long coats, and have always clipped our old guys for hygiene reasons alone!

Comment

Working...
                                        X