• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Nutrition people...Calf Manna vs. Rice Bran

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrition people...Calf Manna vs. Rice Bran

as a fat supplement?

My big TB is a medium keeper...he doesn't eat me out of house and home, but he does require a hefty helping of hay. We have put about 100lb on him in a couple of months, and we want to keep him at this weight while changing his muscling.

He is currently getting 15lbs of Bermuda in the morning, and roughly 5lb Bermuda and 10lb of Orchard at night. This keeps him busy for a few hours. He is also getting 6lbs of Triple Crown senior and 2lbs of Calf Manna a day, broken into two feedings. He looks GREAT.

The problem is, he's HOT. He went from being a bit lazy to being Mr. Piaffe under saddle...and we are definitely not at the piaffe level. I am not sure if he's just feeling a lot better now that he's healthier, or if the Calf Manna is a trigger. I started noticing a difference after adding the CM.

I'm almost out of the CM and was wondering if I should keep him on it but knock it back to 1lb/day, or if rice bran would be a good substitute without making him so gung-ho.

Advice?
    runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Have you considered using corn or vegetable oil instead?

There are 1927 calories/cup in either corn or vegetable oil and you can safely give 2 cups of oil/day. I've used that for retired horses that are hard keepers that I don't want to give a lot of grain and have had a lot of luck with it.
    Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

It may not be the feed but the fact he's not skinny any more that is causing the issue. I have known many the calm, skinny horse that turned into a fireball when receiving adequate groceries. it is one reason I never evaluate temperament in a rescue horse...can't really tell what they are going to be like under saddle until they are fattened up.

That said, I would definitely try 8 pounds TC Senior and ditch the CM/RB altogether. My fiesty TB stays quietest that way. I add a cup of Omega Horseshine a day when he is in heavy work.

Comment

Rice Bran made my 33 year old ottb HOT! I'm talking almost unmanageable on the ground hot. He would pull me down the barn aisle, rear, gallop, get loose, and generally just go nuts. Took him off of it and he calmed down.

I love triple crown senior for just about every horse that needs grain.
        Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
        White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

Calf Manna is primarily a protein supplement, it's first ingredient being soy bean meal. Rice Bran is a fat supplement. Both could be responsible for your horse's exuberance. I recommend Platinum Performance. It is a well balanced supplement providing the accepted ratio of O-3 and O-6 fats from flax seed and rice ran as well as other ingredients.

Also I find it much more difficult to put weight on a horse in winter.

Comment

TC and Calf Manna can be part of your energy issue. I have found feeding Orchard hay and a ration balancer is all they really need.

There are many great balancers depending on where you live. I am not a fan of Rice or Wheat bran. All nutritional courses I have taken do not recommend them to be fed. Not a TC fan either or calf manna.

These are some great companies:
            Buckeye for grass hay
            Progressive Diet for grass hay
            Stam 30
            Pennfield

If you find something Kentucky Equine Research (KER) formulates or supports that is excellent.

I have never had issues with weight on horses.

I think you need to remove the Bermuda... it's not a great hay and up your Orchard hay. In the summer you can add a little alfalfa.

I think a large horse should eat 35 to 40 lbs of hay a day....
            Live in the sunshine.
            Swim in the sea.
            Drink the wild air.

Comment

Some horses need more calories than hay + ration balancer can provide, especially in the winter.

Have you tried simply removing the CM and upping the TC Senior to 8 lbs? I don't know how many calories are in CM, but rice bran has roughly 1200 per pound, while TC Senior has 1500ish. So you'd be getting more bang for your buck with the TC.

As far as the hotness...could be a combo of more energy (since he's finally getting enough food) to the time year (cold) to less turnout? Does he get enough time out in the pasture?
              Caitlin
              *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
              http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Comment

Originally posted by RedMare01 View Post
                Some horses need more calories than hay + ration balancer can provide, especially in the winter.
                Never experienced the need for more calories not covered by hay and balancers.... Even with TB's.

When the horse is "hot" feeding enough Orchard or Timothy hay will go a long way. I feel too many people just don't feed enough hay. And when a horse is getting proper nutrients from the balancers you will find the weight happens.

If you need more calories that's where you can add alfalfa or even oats to the ration balancer. In the 20 years I have been using ration balancers I have never needed to add oats however.
                Live in the sunshine.
                Swim in the sea.
                Drink the wild air.

Comment

Whew doublestable, you feed 35-40 lbs of hay per day to ONE horse???

My horses stay in good weight (if not a little chunky this winter) on about 20-25lbs each per day.
                  Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
                  White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

Double S, I see you're in CA. Do you have hard winters where you are?
                    Caitlin

Comment

Double S, I see you're in CA. Do you have hard winters where you are?
                      Can get below 20 here.. but were pretty mild. Saying that; a lot of the research and formulation KER does is in the colder areas of the world. It's worth checking out... this diet has worked for many I know and some are in fact in cooler areas than I.

But - - horses are fun and you just never know what they are up to. They are all individuals.
                      Live in the sunshine.
                      Swim in the sea.
                      Drink the wild air.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by doublesstable View Post
                        TC and Calf Manna can be part of your energy issue. I have found feeding Orchard hay and a ration balancer is all they really need.

There are many great balancers depending on where you live. I am not a fan of Rice or Wheat bran. All nutritional courses I have taken do not recommend them to be fed. Not a TC fan either or calf manna.

These are some great companies:
                        Buckeye for grass hay
                        Progressive Diet for grass hay
                        Stam 30
                        Pennfield

If you find something Kentucky Equine Research (KER) formulates or supports that is excellent.

I have never had issues with weight on horses.

I think you need to remove the Bermuda... it's not a great hay and up your Orchard hay. In the summer you can add a little alfalfa.

I think a large horse should eat 35 to 40 lbs of hay a day....
                        The Bermuda he is getting is high quality. And Pennfield doesn't ship to CA since last year, so....yeah. I am a fan of the Triple Crown grain. He was not hot on it before adding the CM, which is another supplement I've had success with in the past on other horses. However, the temps did start to drop right around the same time the CM was introduced. There is no way in hell I can afford to feed my horse 40lbs of hay a day, especially Orchard, and frankly he would look like a whale.

I love the KER Fiber Max, which is essentially their version of Pennfield's Fibergized, but my local stores don't carry it and I'm not driving the thirty minutes up a mountain to get it.

When he was on alfalfa (briefly) he was a total nutcase. There is no. way. I'm adding that to his diet. He was snorty, spooky, and a general as$ho!e on the ground, and under saddle was even worse.

Have you tried simply removing the CM and upping the TC Senior to 8 lbs? I don't know how many calories are in CM, but rice bran has roughly 1200 per pound, while TC Senior has 1500ish. So you'd be getting more bang for your buck with the TC.

As far as the hotness...could be a combo of more energy (since he's finally getting enough food) to the time year (cold) to less turnout? Does he get enough time out in the pasture?
                        I am trying to stay as economical as possible while keeping him healthy. Don't get me wrong, the hotness is quite fun, but it was a shock. He definitely needs more calories than just a ration balancer would provide since he's A. Not getting 40lbs of hay and B. Not on pasture all day long. He gets turned out 2x a week, more if I can squeeze it in, and getting worked 4-5x a week. So the weather could definitely be a factor as well.

Like I said, we're happy with his weight now and are just looking at ways to maintain it. At this point we're going to do a wait and see what happens once I run out of the CM. If he calms down but maintains, great! If he starts to drop weight then we'll either put him back on it, or attempt a different avenue.
                        runnjump86 Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by runNjump86 View Post
                          The Bermuda he is getting is high quality. And Pennfield doesn't ship to CA since last year, so....yeah. I am a fan of the Triple Crown grain. He was not hot on it before adding the CM, which is another supplement I've had success with in the past on other horses. However, the temps did start to drop right around the same time the CM was introduced. There is no way in hell I can afford to feed my horse 40lbs of hay a day, especially Orchard, and frankly he would look like a whale.

I love the KER Fiber Max, which is essentially their version of Pennfield's Fibergized, but my local stores don't carry it and I'm not driving the thirty minutes up a mountain to get it.

When he was on alfalfa (briefly) he was a total nutcase. There is no. way. I'm adding that to his diet. He was snorty, spooky, and a general as$ho!e on the ground, and under saddle was even worse.
                          I know; I fed Pennfield and I too in Cali cannot get it. I found Stam 30 which seems to be going well so far. That's why I mentioned it depends on what area you live in.

If you are in Cali; the vets at the equine hospitals as well as most vets do not recommend you feed Bermuda. It is the number one cause of impaction colic here.

I read your post wrong I thought you were looking for weight gain - why I suggested feeding more hay... but if your good with the weight I would just add a ration balancer and remove the bermuda, the TC and Calf Manna.

Stam 30 is by a company called Hallway..

Here is their link http://hallwayfeeds.com/?our-feed-pr.../stamm-30.html

You could cut out all the TC and Calf Manna saving you money on that end.

I don't feed much alfalfa myself but I mentioned it because another poster talked about calories. If you need energy it's a great feed. I know most of the TB's I had would get very hot on alfalfa.

Good luck to you and I hope you find a solution....
                          Live in the sunshine.
                          Swim in the sea.
                          Drink the wild air.

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat518 View Post
                            Whew doublestable, you feed 35-40 lbs of hay per day to ONE horse???

My horses stay in good weight (if not a little chunky this winter) on about 20-25lbs each per day.

Depends on the horse. I do have an 18 hand 2000 lb horse that gets 35 lbs a day when in work. What I do for each horse is try to free feed grass hay (Orchard or Timothy) and if they are in work and not hot I feed 5 to 10 lbs of alfalfa. It really depends on the horse. If they are thin; then they need more hay. If they are fat they need less. You just have to figure out how many lbs each horse needs, how much work they are doing etc.

My comments were made in reference to weight. I believe horses that are too thin usually just need more hay not a bunch of molasses based feeds.
                            Live in the sunshine.
                            Swim in the sea.
                            Drink the wild air.

Comment

My horses get free choice orchard/alf mix, all they can/will eat. 3 of the 4 are fine on a ration balancer-type but one still needs 8 pounds of TC Senior a day to stay in prime condition. Ration balancers are not a one-size-fits-all.

Comment

Having Tbs off the track I have a few questions.

1 Did you get him off the track and is he feeling better because you're nutrition is helping him put on weight and not keeping up with the work load?

2 Every Tb is different, but they are bred for high energy and it comes with the territory. . .

3 Some horses react to feeds, but I've found with what I do with mine it is not recommended to just feed hay and ration balancer. If you ask Leslie Law, David or even a BN rider going for the Regionals, they would tell you that they do not feed just good quality hay and ration balancer. If you're working your Tb, you may want to do more time working him and the increase in feed will be fine.

4 What does your instructor/vet say?

5 Try B1 crumbles they work for a lot of Tbs for calmness.

I would also like to know his background for example where did he come from, who had him before etc.
                                Last edited by Eventer55; Jan. 19, 2013, 09:54 AM.
                                RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

How much does your TB weigh? I usually go with 2% of body weight in hay (recommendations range from 1% to 2%.) My 18 y.o. TB gets 20 lbs of hay (timothy/orchard grass mix, half of it 1st cut, half 2nd cut) and a pound and a half of beet pulp and a pound of timothy alfalfa cubes. Total of close to 23 lbs of forage. He is in good weight. (About 1,100 lbs by weight tape.) 30 pounds of hay a day seems like a lot! This same TB (who is not in work at the moment) gets 1 lb of Blue Seal Strider (2.5% fat, 11% protein) and 1/2 lb Blue Seal Senior a day. Again, he is in fine weight. If he was working harder I might up his grain to keep his weight on. I do feed a cup of sunflower seeds a day, but am considering switching that to rice bran. I used to feed corn oil, but was told that that type of fat is not good for them.
                                  blogging at HN: http://www.horsenation.com/
                                  check out my writing: http://jeseymour.com
                                  Just out: http://www.barkingrainpress.org/dd-p...ead-poisoning/

Comment

Originally posted by fordtraktor View Post
                                    My horses get free choice orchard/alf mix, all they can/will eat. 3 of the 4 are fine on a ration balancer-type but one still needs 8 pounds of TC Senior a day to stay in prime condition. Ration balancers are not a one-size-fits-all.

If you contact Hallway (Pennfield, Buckeye, Progressive Nutrition, or KER) and discuss your horses situation they have many different feeds. The balancers are designed to be added to if necessary for different nutritional needs.

And IMHO feeding TC if you want to feed Cane molasses and a lot more sugars. Nutritional studies and classes I have taken over the years do not support feeding TC. But those are just the studies and classes I have taken and vets I have talked to.

If you look at TC and Calf Manna ingredients you find cane molasses number three and alfalfa number six on calf manna. These things it sounds like your horse really doesn't need. You may have to find a feed or balancer that is limited on the ingredients that can cause them to have too much energy.

It's really worth checking out. Here is a quick article on balancers.

http://www.horsefeedblog.com/2011/01...ion-balancers/

I learned so much when I had young horses and their nutritional needs. It was a real eye opener for me. I am just surprised not too many people know about or feed balancers.

I had a young horse with wobblers and another with epitisitus (bought them both from breeders with it) and nutrition - ration balancers worked amazing....
                                    Last edited by doublesstable; Jan. 14, 2013, 02:41 PM.
                                    Live in the sunshine.
                                    Swim in the sea.
                                    Drink the wild air.

Comment

• Original Poster

I've used balancers in the past on my air fern Arab/QH and had good results. However, that will not work with my TB. He needs more calories than what hay and a balancer will provide.

Trainer was the one who suggested rice bran, hence the start of the thread. She is the one who put him on 30lbs of hay per day as well because he needed to put weight on when he first got to her property. Last time we weight taped him he was right around 1250lbs. He's a big guy and is usually mistaken for a WB.

He has not been on the track in years. I've had him under my care for several months and we've been going back and forth on feeds since day one, trying to find one that works without having to pump 10lbs of grain in him. I am well aware that TB's are bred for high energy; this particular guy has been super laid back since I first met him, so the hotness has been a shock. We may have to up his work load while cutting back on feed. I'm going to suggest we cut back on his hay intake as well to 25lbs and see what happens. I fed my Arab/QH B1 crumbles last year and didn't see a difference. Like I said I don't mind the hotness (most of the time). I just want to keep him healthy and hopefully have his brain resurface.
                                      runnjump86 Instagram

Comment

TC feeds may have molasses in them, but the overall sugar/NSC percentage in most of them is quite low:
                                        http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/artic...rown-horsefood

Notice that the Senior is 11.7%, which is very low for a concentrated feed. In fact, less than 2% higher than the ration balancer, TC 30 (9.8%NSC).

Don't get me wrong, I also love ration balancers. I use one in the summer for my mare. But it simply will not work for us in the winter. Not on a 19 year old mare + cold temps + no grass. She gets pretty much all the hay (plus alfalfa pellets with meals) that she wants, but last year I tried to stay with the balancer and I had a skinny, skinny mare by the end of January, even adding several pounds of oats along with alfalfa pellets. And BTW, the NSC of the balancer + oats is way more than the <12% in TC Senior.
                                        Caitlin

Comment

Working...
                                        X