• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Turning out in bad footing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning out in bad footing?

Hello Cothers!
    I am usually a big supporter of turning out stabled horses as much as possible. It find it good for their mind and the constant moving seems good for their body as well.
    However, coming from a more "temperate climate", I am a bit at a loss when it comes to turning out in icy/snowy/very muddy paddocks. What do you all do in terms of turning out in bad footing?
    Thanks!

At my current barn, unless it's pouring buckets of rain or solid ice, they go out. They are much happier for it, and are less likely to tear around like idiots than if they'd stayed in for a few days

Comment

It's when they are kept in for a day or two because of weather, that they totally wreck themselves when they are again turned out. So one way or the other I insist mine are turned out, not always as early as is the norm, and sometimes not as long.

Studs and snow pads are, of course on the shod one.
      Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Unless we are having extreme blizzard type weather or serious down pours mine go out. Mud, snow whatever.

Comment

Having seen some pretty horrific injuries due to ice and mud, those are two that I would watch carefully.

Ice? I'd keep 'em off of it if at all possible. Had a gelding literally do the splits on ice and tear his groin. Had it not been very very cold at the time, he probably would've bled out. This was a few years ago (in Iowa). But it has stuck in my mind. He was just walking down to the area where we hayed and boom.

Mud? If it's so bad that you're needing to keep them in due to mud being hock deep or whatever, you can make modifications to address that such as drains.

I grew up in Iowa (CR), so one thing I can tell you is that you're likely having an unusual mud season. Normally, everything is frozen right now and you only have to worry about the mud for about a month in the spring in an otherwise well drained paddock.

Snow? Not a problem AT ALL. I wouldn't worry a bit about turning out in snow.

One of the things that has actually given me more trouble than anything you've mentioned yet is the frozen mud areas where it's all uneven and they have to tiptoe around on it. I used to take the blade out and scrape down to get a more even surface. Shoot, I about twisted my own ankle out there on more than one occasion!
          A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Mine go out unless it's really icy. They wouldn't go out if I avoided mud.
            Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

The two things that keep me from letting my horses out in their field (they do have a small dry lot to get locked in, that is all sand) are ice and severe mud. Ice, because they can kill themselves just walking on it, and mud because they always want to run around when it's muddy...and I'd like them, and my fences in one piece.
              "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

Mine goes out through everything except thunderstorms or extreme blizzards or freezing rain. Never ever ever put a horse with regular shoes on ice!! But my mare has some heavy duty snow shoes with pads and borium and pins. She's very sturdy no the ice with those, but she also doesn't ever really run outside.

Comment

Mine goes out. And trust me, right now the footing is horrendous. Mud, ice, snow. I had to walk out to get him yesterday and it was ridiculous. But he picks his way and basically stands or walks around all day. He's never had a problem with scratches and I'm not worried about him doing something foolish.

If it gets any worse though, he will be "dry lotted" in the small indoor. Problem is that is too hard packed but he WILL be tempted to thunder around. He's better off picking his way through the miserable mud.
                  Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

My guys are on pasture board so they're out no matter what. They're careful when its poor footing and they never have the pent up crazies that a stalled horse might have. I'd be more careful with a stalled horse though since they are often not as sensible since they're wound up about going out.

Comment

My guy has lived his whole life in 24/7 turnout. Ice, snow, mud...one year we had so much rain he even had to walk through a pond in his paddock to get to his waterer. Never had a problem *knock on wood* with any injuries or hoof problems due to the conditions of his turnout.

I've found the horses who are outside continually seem to have "smarts" about the footing. My guy watches for holes (I found that out when I was riding him cross-country - he'd purposely move out of the way when he spotted holes in front of him), and if he's playing the fool in his paddock, he slows down or stays off the icy sections.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                        Unless we are having extreme blizzard type weather or serious down pours mine go out. Mud, snow whatever.
                        Same here
                        "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Mine all live out too, with run-in sheds should they so desire to use them (which they rarely do, the snots). I don't worry about them on the footing extremes, mud or ice. They all go barefoot and usually, by the time it gets around to freezing here, we have "cuppy" footing that makes ice sheets basically impossible so slipping isn't a concern. I'd be more cautious with footing in the case of a stalled horse because they do tend to get the "stupids" when they are first turned out and can injure themselves. Horses that live out 24/7 tend to be more cautious when the footing gets iffy.

Comment

Mine are out on day t/o. Mud, snow, ice, frozen mud, etc. they have 2 areas with gravel/stone dust so they don't "have" to go in the actual field. Usually if it has been steadily raining all day they come in an hour or 2 early, but that is it.

I can't remember ever having a horse injured in the pasture in a situation like this. Plenty of times after being in a few days or only being allowed out a few hours. But never on all day or 24/7 turnout.
                            come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

Mine is out at least 12 hours a day in all types of weather. Around here, it's mostly mud. The BO does try to put her in a smaller paddock (sometimes open to a larger pasture) with a run in and gravel area if it's going to be precipitating badly. As someone else said, if we didn't turn out in mud or bad weather, there would BE no turnout for weeks or months at a time. It's been wet here since October, and will probably stay the same til April or May.
                              Caitlin
                              *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Comment

Mine stay in if it's ice. The kind where I have to wear golf shoes to get to the barn. Otherwise, unless it's hurricane force winds or tornado warnings they go out. If it's an all day driving rain, I'll leave them out for a couple of hours.

Comment

Mine is barefoot and lives on pasture. He's out with 2 buddies and has a 24x48 run in shed. The only time they're brought inside (or turned out in the indoor) is for an extreme blizzard where the BO cannot get to the pasture to check on them. Other than that they're out all the time. Never had a problem.
                                  Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                                  My equine soulmate
                                  Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

I'm fortunate to have a sacrifice paddock at home that is never too dreadfully muddy (very sandy soil) and I have a raised, bedded "horse porch" so even in the most vile weather my horses have a dry place to stand and are never cannon-deep in mud. They are out 24/7 so whether to "turn them out" is sort of a moot point anyway. But they do not set foot on my grass pastures when there is a lot of mud. The grazing is not limitless and needs some protection from hooves.

I also board a couple nearby, and there they will sometimes keep horses in if the footing is very bad. This is multifactorial--ice is common in early and late winter as well as mud, and both are not ideal for horses to stand around in. Also grass is precious and they don't have enough dirt paddocks for everyone, so turnout in deep mud can ruin the pastures if it's overdone. And to be very honest, when the footing is terrible, that's all horses really do--they STAND AROUND. They do not play and roam around much at all. So when the staff there decide to keep them in for a day or two here and there, I respect their decision. The horses aren't missing much, they are probably a little safer, and the grass in the paddocks lives to fight another day.
                                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Mine are out all of the time, but always have access to the barn. I worry on those rare occasions when we have an ice storm. My experience has been that horses who are locked in for days, and then turned out on the ice, often slip and fall until they realize it is icy. Usually, the ones who were out during the ice storm understand that it is slippery and stay in the run in sheds or barn of their own volition.
                                      Frozen ponds in the pasture worry me. Our horses don't seem to have good judgement about when the pond is frozen enough to hold them and when it is not. My daughter usually closes off the pasture with the pond when the pond is frozen over.

Comment

Every year I hear about horses being put down due to fractured legs and hips who were 'always' turned out....on ice. A good friend of mine keeps hers out 24/7 and had to deal with a hip fracture on her favorite mare. She healed after months of stall rest. Another friend had just purchased a 2 year old and she had to put him down due to a hip fracture...due to ice. My farrier told me about a couple of horses he 'used' to trim- they were hit by lightening...he knows of a bunch who were lost to leg fractures on the ice. Another friend had a young horse come running up to the gate in slippery mud...he was put down due to a fracture when he hit the gate.

It is always a matter of balancing the risk. You have to decide.

I take mine to my indoor and work them down when I decide the footing is unsafe.

Comment

Working...
                                        X