• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Treating thrush *thank you* Yay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would try to get one good soak with Clean Trax done if he is that bad. Perhaps while he's still a bit under the weather a day or two post surgery? Then I'd focus on keeping them super clean and dry, and use Kopertox per the instructions.

Comment

I have never heard of soaking a foot for thrush (maybe if the horse had a deep infection and was lame...?). I have used Clean Trax and the like for white line disease. I try to avoid softening a hoof with thrush.
      I would swab the area out thoroughly with cotton (on the tip of your hoof pick) to remove all of the diseased gunk, and then use Tomorrow or Thrush Buster. If I come across a bad case of thrush, I start with TB and then do daily follow-up with the mastitis cream. Keeping the horse in a dry area (lots of dry bedding if he's stalled), is a must.
      Does your farrier have any suggestions, having just seen the horse?
      Remember that you not only want to kill any infection, you want to do so without harming the tissue that you need to repopulate the area.
      Good luck.
      As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
        Any chance you are remembering incorrectly? That is a recipe for a scratches remedy not thrush to my knowledge.
        I'm sure it's been posted here as a thrush remedy. I remember because my mare had thrush at the time and I thought it would be messy to apply. Not tried it myself.
        Caitlin
        *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
        http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Comment

My pony had thrush shortly after I purchased him as he acclimated from life in a dry to stall to life in a pasture that could be muddy at times. I found that really scrubbing his hooves clean at least 1x per day (I used a Betadine solution) was essential in the healing process and made more difference than anything else I tried (several commercial thrush products). I also packed regular Gold Bond Powder into the deep crack that developed in his frog and I do think that helped them stay drier.

Comment

You can do WL with a shoe on, no problem. There are a lot of ways to deal with thrush but it is the best.

You do need to figure out why this horse has such bad thrush, tho. We are full into mud season here, some horses with shoes, most not. Picked feet today, not a single horse with thrush. There is a reason your guy has it.
            "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
            ---
            The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. LOL NO this horse is not standing in urine he was in a 12 x 12 box in training with hours of turn outs, daily grooming and hoof cleaning. A regular schedule of 5 week shoeing. I have had him four months. When he came to me he was barefoot and had the butt crack heels going on. The right foot butt crack is gone but the left one remains. But saying that, horses find a way to stand where they pee even if I clean it daily. That does make sense about Desitin...

I recently moved my horse to my house to deal with some of his medical issues and not spend the money for a training barn and now that I get to see him daily there are some things that need to be handled. I did have my farrier and not the barns farrier shoe him today. I am very happy with the job done. The prior shoes looked very tight to me in the heel area and my farrier agreed. When I went to my barn tonight to clean his hooves with the new trim/shoe work he looks better already. I did remove the shoes in the hind since he is going to be on a short hiatus. His stall at home is a roomy 12 x 24 box cleaned twice a day bedded with shavings. He has a shelter off the back and a large paddock with dirt/DG footing. I pick his feed daily and so did the training barn where he was. Tonight I simply cleaned the hoof with water as he was in the cross ties... it was very easy to clean because of the farrier work. Then I applied the Apple Cider Vinegar and tea tree oil mixture. I did that earlier in the day as well. My farrier suggested just keeping it clean and putting whatever I used for thrush on it. He did recommend feeding Farriers Formula but stated it takes a very long time like a year to see results.

I have read a lot about the Dry Cow that I think that is worth a try. Where do you get that product? Again, everyone thank you for your time on this.
              Live in the sunshine.
              Swim in the sea.
              Drink the wild air.

Comment

Smartpak sells these little pads soaked in thush meds. You use a hoof pick to jam them into the crevice of the frog. I *love* them for horses with deep grooves. They really stay in and are very effective. And-- no staining!
                ~Veronica
                "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Here's a link... http://www.smartpakequine.com/veteri...x?cm_vc=Search
                  ~Veronica
                  "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                  http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Yes, pack the crack, if the trim/shoeing job is correct it will heal quickly.
                    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                    ---
                    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

My mom's horse came with a very deep central sulcus that was all sorts thrushy, that nothing would clear up (and major crevice sure wouldn't heal until that was gone). She had good and quick success with "Ramey Goo" - a 50/50 combo of Triple Antibiotic Ointment and 1% Clotrimazole Athletes Foot Cream. Both purchased at a drug store, and packed into a syringe for application. Just pick the feet out real well and squeeze.

Comment

Bleach is so last millennium . . .

Thrush is an anaerobic bacterial infection. It usually starts in the layer between the old frog and the new frog being generated by the frog corium.

Horses shed their frog in the spring and fall and sometimes more often. But each new frog is a separate entity with a distinct layer between the new and old. When anaerobic bacteria gets in between these layers and sets up house keeping it actually becomes a participant in the frog shedding process, but that can get out of hand, especially when the frog is not maintained in contact with the ground where it can be stimulated by normal weight bearing.

In horses with very upright feet and heels left so long that the frog does not directly touch the ground, the frog becomes weak and atrophied. Eventually thrush works its way past the insensitive frog and into sensitive structures. This is most often seen in the deep central sulcus thrush where there is a split in the center of the frog that comes out the hair line between the heel bulbs.

Treating deep sulcus thrush with a toxic antimicrobial agent is painful for the horse and it kills not only the anaerobic bacteria, but also kills the new cells that would otherwise fill in the area as it tries to heal after killing the infection.

OTC antibiotics like dry cow mastitis treatment have been used by educated, up to date, hoof care providers with great success (like 100% IMEs) on deep sulcus thrush for over a decade. If your hoof care provide hasn't heard of it they must live under a rock or something.

Today or Tomorrow or whatever brand, they all work just as well on deep sulcus thrush as they do on mastitis. Just insert the tip of the plastic syringe into the crack (GENTLY) and squirt some in there till it runs out. It won't be painful for the horse and it won't kill off any new cells that are generated in the process of closing the wound. Push a cotton ball in behind it. Repeat daily till the infection clears up - which you will know because the crack will be gone. But seriously, don't inject Durasole, bleach, copper tox, diaper rash ointment, use motor oil or any thing like that into the deep sulcus. You are treating an open wound. If you must flush it before injecting the antibiotic, use plain water. But that really isn't necessary because you can flush it by injecting extra antibiotic until it displaces the gunk.

Thrush in other parts of the frog - insensative - can be treated with whatever toxic stuff you want to throw at it. As a preventive, something that sticks around and provides some residual disinfecting action (Durasole, thrush buster, copper tox, iodine) is better than something like bleach that only works for a few minutes and then dissipates.

Injecting anything toxic into the deep sulcus split type of thrush might get your head kicked off when the horse feels the sensitive tissue in there burning and he can't get away from it because it is enclosed with no way to evaporate.

Comment

I've had luck with Dry Cow or Tomorrow. Sold at Tractor Supply. I've coved with woder dust or soaked cotton stuffed into crevice. For minor, run of the mill thrush Coppertox work well.
                          Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

Tom Bloomer is right on...Today or Tomorrow applied EXACTLY how he states is a guaranteed fix IME...I get mine at Farm and Fleet

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by AzulBlue View Post
                              Tom Bloomer is right on...Today or Tomorrow applied EXACTLY how he states is a guaranteed fix IME...I get mine at Farm and Fleet

Just ordered a few boxes of ToMORROW. It will be here in a few days. No where in my area stocks it on the shelves. I guess we don't have too many cows around here anymore.

Thank you everyone. I am glad this will be so much easier than soaking for 20. Not that I am trying to get out of doing this; it's just really hard right now for him to be a good boy. He is trying very hard to be good.....
                              Live in the sunshine.
                              Swim in the sea.
                              Drink the wild air.

Comment

• Original Poster

Question, could I treat with a triple antibiotic until the ToMORROW arrives?
                                Live in the sunshine.
                                Swim in the sea.
                                Drink the wild air.

Comment

Let me defend my archaic stance by amending that I would NOT use bleach in a deep sulcus or in the cleft of the frog. Just on grody surface stuff.
                                  Click here before you buy.

Comment

Ditto Tom Bloomer. When I got my filly, she had thrush so bad that her feet bled. What I did for her, was cleaned the hooves really well - for the dee stuff, I used a flathead screwdriver covered with a gauze pad. Then I squirted Today up in the deep grooves, and then packed them with cotton to keep the dirt out, and meds in. You can buy the main ingredient in White Lightening, for way cheaper, but I'm on a phone, and the name escapes me right now. The Today should work though, along with ensuring the horse is getting a proper trim, to encourage the heels to spread out.
                                    The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
                                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

What worked very well for my mare (she had very severe trush) is a 7% iodine solution poured directly on the affected part of the hoof. 3 days after I could see a 60% amelioration.

Comment

CURE THE CRUD QUICK!

The ONLY thing that truly works for Thrush and WORKS FAST!
                                        I used this on a horse we bought with the worst thrush you could imagine. Looked like canker, but all vets and our farrier said it was just a horrible case of thrush.
                                        within 5 days--- it was gone without a trace.
                                        I keep it on hand and use it once a week as a preventative.

CHEAP, EASY and AMAZING! gentle too!

a 50/50 combo of Triple Antibiotic Ointment (neosporin) and 1% Clotrimazole Athletes Foot Cream. Both purchased at walmart or similar, and packed into an oral dosing syringe for application. Just pick the feet out real well and squeeze a bit down the crevices and put horse in a DRY stall- repeat every day (we did twice- am and pm)

Comment

There are tons of cows in parts of Chino so I wonder if R&L Feed would have it. They're in Ontario on East End, north of Philadelphia. 909-628-7016. Not super close to you, but fairly close to the place your horse is likely to go for his surgery. Generally good prices on both supplies and feed. Inland Vet (in Norco, and maybe other places) might have it also. It will probably come by the time you could get to Norco, but they might ship.

At one point my horses, including one who lived outside in a periodically-muddy paddock, were the only two horses in a training barn that did NOT have thrush. I must have been doing something different when I cleaned feet than the other people and/or the grooms. Different training barn, and discipline, than now.
                                          The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Working...
                                          X