• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Xylazine IM users - typical dose?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xylazine IM users - typical dose?

Used 3 cc of xylazine IM for my 1300 lb gelding today. He's on stall rest (plus a tiny runout during day) and was exploding under saddle when I started adding in trotting. He's also on oral resperine which served us well until it was time to trot. Thursday was the final straw when he reared and flipped over on me.

Just wondering what dose other people use of xylazine? The 3cc worked well to prevent the explosions, but I remember when I used Ace a few years ago for his first round of stall rest, I kept having to increase the dose. If the 3cc of xylazine stops working for him, I'll ask my vet what to increase it to, but just wanted to see what the typical dose is that others are using for crazy stall rest horses.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Couldn't help you with a xylazine dose as I consider that drug really, really scary and have no interest in even having it around. I have had good luck with oral acepromazine powder and dormosedan oral gel, although the latter also has to be handled with great caution. Ace can certainly cause tolerance to develop, but of all the options I consider it the safest of the bunch.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Well, Xylazine is a quick acting tranq but also wears off quickly. I like using a mix of Xylazine/Ace (so you get the quick action of the xylazine but the Ace prolongs the tranq) so if you are doing undersaddle work, I would mix the two. I personally prefer doing IV as it works quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
        dormosedan oral gel, although the latter also has to be handled with great caution. .
        I would NOT ride a horse that has been given Dorm - it is VERY powerful and only takes an extremely small amount to really knock a horse down.

Comment

A doped horse under saddle? That's really dangerous. I have xylazine but for medical purposes only and for farrier use.

I once boarded at a barn where ace was used by the BO for everything. Including for horses jumping in shows. And some of the people doing that are on this board. Extremely dangerous to the horse and the rider. BO once tried to dope Cloudy before a show without my permission, but he was needle phobic and resisted. Kids at barn snitched on the BO to me. I told her never to dope him. She didn't even try to dope my hot ottb mare Callie. The kids at that barn would actually say they would do well at shows when BO doped their horses.

Using drugs like ace and xylazine for training is crazy. I've seen some doped horses jumping in shows and they could barely make it over jumps. If you don't like hot horses, buy one which is not hot.

Meanwhile, ask the vet from whom you got your drugs how much to give a horse, and in what combination, and ask that vet to tell you what happens if that horse goes down while being trained or ridden.

Comment

Practically speaking, yes, if you are rehabbing a horse from stall rest, and their behavior is bad enough to hurt you, or themselves, you need to do SOMETHING to make sure you are not killed.

The best protocol I know of is using a treadmill. Horses have to travel straight. And most horses only try one time to 'act up,' and they learn quick that it does not work to act up on the treadmill.

Unfortunately, most of us do not have access to one.

As far as tranquilizers, horses metabolize them very, very differently. I have know horses who burn through drugs with astonishing speed. And other horses who practically fall down with very little. If you are mounted when the drugs wear off and the horse suddenly wakes up, you could easily be in a very bad situation. Worse, perhaps, than if the horse were never drugged.

Personally, I simply do not rehab horses under saddle. They can go on the longe/slowly increased turnout. I can replace the horse but I cannot replace me. Sorry, but I've seen my share of folks get busted up riding horses that have been stall bound for a while, and it just ain't worth the risk to me.

In your situation, perhaps you could arrange to have the vet present while you ride. Together you can work out a dosage of drugs that makes you comfortable enough to ride.

Edited: Perhaps ear plugs and/or blinders could help you out also. If horse reacts to sounds or exciting sights like cats trotting along the rail.
            Last edited by Isabeau Z Solace; Jan. 5, 2013, 05:38 PM. Reason: additional suggestions
            "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

• Original Poster

Deltawave - Can you clarify what about the xylazine is cause for concern as opposed to other sedatives? I know none are without risk.

CloudyandCallie - Absolutely not using sedatives under normal riding circumstances, but for rehab. My horse is on month 3 of stall rest (plus a run out about the size of his stall now) and we just started adding in 2 mins of trotting in addition to the 30 mins of walking. I spent the last two weeks unable to progress in his rehab because he would explode into a bucking/rearing fit at the slightest thing. Thursday he flipped over backwards with me on him and my leg was pinned underneath him. Thankfully we both came out ok for the most part, but for the sake of him not re-fracturing his navicular bones that we are rehabbing and for my own safety, the benefits of sedating him outweigh the risks in my mind. 4 years ago he was on stall rest for a torn suspensory and broke my hand during that rehab process at about this same point in the rehab process. Funny enough he is the most stoic horse in normal circumstances, but doesn't handle stall rest well.

My vet advised me to use 3 cc of the xylazine and we would go from there. I was just curious what dose other people use to see if 3cc is about average or considered high or low. Honestly I think I am asking because I was really freaked out after the flip and want to make sure this is a hefty enough dose. I remember when I used Ace, I found out via COTH that the dose I was using was quite low. He didn't seem very "doped" up as I thought he was supposed to be on the xylazine, just seemed like his normal self while not on stall rest, and didn't rear today.
              "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Comment

Deltawave, what about xylazine is really, really scary?

Comment

If you prick yourself with a needle that has xylazine on it because you just drew it up from the bottle you can go into respiratory arrest within seconds. Inject some by accident and you are dead unless someone is there to breathe for you.
                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

3 cc IM is a pretty solid dose.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshfield View Post
                      3 cc IM is a pretty solid dose.
                      No, it's not. I've never had good luck with giving tranq IM. Had one several years ago in FL who would NOT stand for body clipping, but was also needle phobic for IVs. Gave him 12cc Xylazine IM (the dosage instructions, I believe, are up to 2cc/100lbs). Waited for an hour and it didn't so much as take the edge off. Our dentist was there at the time and was an absolute ninja with IV needles and managed to get a couple CCs in him IV and all was well. I was stunned at the lack of effect to IM.

Typically, we use between 1-2 CCs IV depending on level of sedation and depending on if horse is a "cheap date".

Yes, Xylazine can be dangerous if you get it in your system, just have to be a bit more careful. I didn't know jack about the effects on humans until probably two years ago, and I've been giving various IVs for 10 yrs or so. Would have been nice to know.

Comment

The full dose of dormosedan gel would probably give you a horse too sedated to ride. But 1/3 of the dose works quite nicely.

Xylazine can cause such profound hypotension if accidentally injected or theoretically even absorbed trans-mucosally that it could put the human in danger. I do feel like I could use it and any other drug reasonably safely as I spend a good part of my time with large needles and syringes in hand. But I still wouldn't care to handle this drug or have it on my property without a DIRE necessity. And tranquilizing horses doesn't fall into that category. This is a matter of personal risk/benefit calculation. I know lots of people use it with no concerns; bully for them.

I also don't like to give IV injections to horses without a very, very compelling need, again this is MY preference even though I'm pretty handy with needles and not afraid of large blood vessels in general. If there are any oral options I'm going to prefer those, then IM, then IV as a last resort.

I have been through the stall rest/rehab/hand-walking thing too many times to sit on any sort of high horse and say that "riding a tranquilized horse is unsafe". Riding a PROPERLY and CAREFULLY tranquilized horse in a RESPONSIBLE manner is way better than riding (or leading) one with a death wish who is NOT. Most of us are not "training" horses in these circumstances but simply walking and trotting a little. But my mantra is "safest and smallest dose first, save the Big Uglies for when ALL the easier/safer options are exhausted".

Comment

Originally posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
                          No, it's not. I've never had good luck with giving tranq IM. Had one several years ago in FL who would NOT stand for body clipping, but was also needle phobic for IVs. Gave him 12cc Xylazine IM (the dosage instructions, I believe, are up to 2cc/100lbs).
                          labelled dosage for IM administration is 1 mg/pound BW, which works out to 1 ml/100 lbs, if you're using the 100 mg/ml concentration.
                          "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                            labelled dosage for IM administration is 1 mg/pound BW, which works out to 1 ml/100 lbs, if you're using the 100 mg/ml concentration.
                            Ok, I was off on the labelled dosage, but spot on with what I gave that horse, .

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post

Xylazine can cause such profound hypotension if accidentally injected or theoretically even absorbed trans-mucosally that it could put the human in danger.
                              And yet the Wikipedia entry mentions that xylazine is gaining popularity as a recreational drug? Hope Darwin's Law takes care of such boneheads.

Comment

Originally posted by Mara View Post
                                And yet the Wikipedia entry mentions that xylazine is gaining popularity as a recreational drug? Hope Darwin's Law takes care of such boneheads.
                                Darwin will have his way with those morons. It is true that even small amounts can cause serious problems, even death in humans. Can't imagine trying to use it recreationally.

Comment

I won't offer dosage advice for xylazine. I have ridden horses that were given a small amount of ace and it was not dangerous nor a problem. The key is it was done with my knowledge and consent, the amount was small and we weren't dealing with an unsuitable horse- just a case of nerves for the horse and the recreational activity we were doing.

OP- is your horse being given any grain?? If so, IMO you need to get stop all grain and give him free choice hay during this rehab time. Can you turn your horse out in a little larger paddock or indoor arena?

Comment

Since xylazine and detomidine are both in a class of drug called alpha2-agonists there is virtually NO difference clinically between them as far as side effects (while there are differences, they are small and generally pretty academic). So to say one is dangerous, while the other is better isn't really true.

Both of them can cause bradycardia, respiratory depression and death in humans. A colleague of mine accidentally injected herself with xylazine instead of lidocaine (can't remember WHY she was injecting the lidocaine into herself - might have had a laceration that someone was going to suture) and she ended up on a ventilator for 3 days.

The IM dose of xylazine that I use as sedation before general anesthesia in the "average" 1000 lb horse is 10 mL (of the 100 mg/mL solution). Generally speaking the IM dose will be double the equivalent IV dose (and the PO dose will be double the IM dose). 3 mLs IM is a pretty mild dose IMO.

Having said that, ace is generally a better choice for sedation prior to riding (and I am not advocating sedatives be given routinely before riding, but they have their place in rehab). Acepromazine doesn't generally cause the ataxia or the degree of sedation that alpha2 agonists do, and so it's a little safer in that situation since the horse won't get wobbly.

Comment

I wouldn't want inectable dormosedan around my place, either. The fact that it comes in an oral formulation is the ONLY reason I'd consider using it, and the level of caution is not less because it's "easy" but I do feel that an accident is less likely to happen. Again, only one person's preference.

Comment

I damnsure wouldn't want to ride a horse under the influence of xylazine.

But I also won't dispense the stuff because of the human health hazards.
                                        "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Working...
                                        X