• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Abscess or Otherwise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abscess or Otherwise?

Ok, last Wednesday after being shod, Reese came in lame on the RF... the farrier and I thought it could be a close nail and he came out that same evening (because he rules); but upon removal of shoe and examination, we eliminated that possibility.

Extensive heat in foot and RF leg, Reese reactive around entire perimiter of frog with hoof testers, decided that he was working on an abscess and since then I have been implementing the typical protocols of soaking, packing and wrapping; all to no avail.

He steps out of his stall very, very lame in the RF. After a few steps, he will look *almost* normal, but is still noticeably sore. When turned out (in the indoor or small paddock), lameness gets worse with increased movement.

Yesterday there was still heat in the RF as well as a digital pulse (slow, but still very noticeable); and of course- lame. He did, however, have what looked like an insult to the soft tissue above the coronet band on the lateral side of the RF and was very reactive to palpation. Incidentally, there is no pus or anything else associated with it, even after an epsom salt soak, Novalson scrub and Animalintex poultice. So whether or not this lesion is actually related to the foot pain, I don't know.

Although I don't want to jump to conclusions, my concern at this point is whether or not it this is actually an abscess; or if it's something more sinister (DDFT problem, coffin bone issue, etc.).

I have left a message for my vet and am waiting for him to call so we can schedule an exam and x-rays.

This is the first time I've ever treated Reese for an abscess (despite all the other things we've been through!), so am unfamiliar with his tendencies in this arena.

For those of you who are experienced with abscesses, please let me know if this sounds normal for the condition. And conversely, for those of you with experience regarding DDFT/coffin bone issues and the like, can you tell me how they presented (i.e.: heat, swelling, lameness, etc.)

Any and all info is greatly appreciated
    Originally posted by Martha Drum
    ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Abcesses can be pretty painful. Some horses you'd swear had a broken leg instead of an abcess. And it does sound like an abcess to me too.

Keep Brian updated so he can best help you. There may come a point when you'll need a hardener to harden everything back up, but since Brian knows Reese's feet better than I do I'll let him be the judge on the need for hardeners and such.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, Brian has been out 4 times already to monitor everything, so he is on top of it

We were just kind of concerned since there has been no relief whatsoever this entire time. Of course, it could just be one of those horrible, stubborn ones that take like 2 weeks to surface; but since everything wrong with Reese is either near-fatal, rare or expensive (hell, all 3 at the same time, even) we tend to stay pretty open to possibilities.
      ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Comment

Originally posted by ReeseTheBeast View Post
        Yes, Brian has been out 4 times already to monitor everything, so he is on top of it

We were just kind of concerned since there has been no relief whatsoever this entire time. Of course, it could just be one of those horrible, stubborn ones that take like 2 weeks to surface; but since everything wrong with Reese is either near-fatal, rare or expensive (hell, all 3 at the same time, even) we tend to stay pretty open to possibilities.
        Who you telling about having near-fatal, rare, and expensive problems with a horse??? Just messin!

It of course doesn't hurt to try to figure out why he ended up with an abcess in the first place...could it be he stepped on a rock? Or mild IR tendencies (dry weather here where I'm at will set one off)?

Nah, sometimes abcesses can be stubborn and won't just come on out when we want them to. Sometimes there is something else going on and it should be investigated, but it truly doesn't sound like y'all are at that point yet. And yeah, that opening at the coronet band could be where the abcess is trying to come out.
        RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
        5/5/84-7/12/08

Comment

It can take a while for an abscess to resolve. It can be really scarey when a horse goes that lame that fast. The first time it happened to one of my horses, I was sure he'd broken his coffin bone. Nope.

My husband's horse abscessed twice this summer (suspect the onset of IR), and both times it took a couple of weeks before the thing would blow. It seemed like forever. One was huge, and he's still a bit sore from the damage it did. I suspect the second abscess got started in the support foot when he was still lame from the first one.

Sometimes they get more sore just before the abscess blows.
          "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

Oh wow, it must be contagious! Look on the secret santa thread for abscess issues.

Let's see if I can help. Cloudy has an abscess now, he had one 2 1/2 yrs ago.

Callie had one 4 yrs ago.

Callie being a stoic ottb mare, didn't gradually get lame, she just got dead lame one day and I called the vet, since she'd never had one before and I'd never experienced one. Vet came out, I had apparently opened it up myself, it was on the plantar (sp) region and we had to soak every other day for a month in epsom salts, then put the ichthammol on it, then the diaper, then the duct tape (that 3 pack at sam's is sticker than the other brands). As soon as she got the diaper on, she could walk. The indigities of old age.

2 1/2 yrs ago, Cloudy starts going lame, he is wussie so it was gradual. Vet said thrush, farrier said abscess and to soak, abscess came out the coronary band after soaking. We didn't have to diaper him, thank God, as Cloudy is not easy to work with.

A week ago he started limping, I soaked, buted, and then Sat. when he was dead lame I saw fluid coming from his heel, he has pour in pads and our farrier is at Disneyworld. I soaked and buted and he is better and farrier is coming Thursday.

All 3 times I've used Bute and isox and SMZs and naproxen.

If you soak and he feels better, or if you put on ichthammol and a diaper and duct tape and he feels better, then do so.

But I'm skeptical of an abscess right after shoeing if he wasn't lame BEFORE the shoeing.

I suspect he got a hot nail. The way to help that is by resetting the shoe, then soaking in epsom salts and if an abscess develops, then go with the ichthammol treatment.

Anytime a horse is lame right after shoeing, suspect the shoeing. One time just before a show Cloudy got a new set of shoes, and then he was lame when I got to the barn. I said it was a hot nail, BO disagreed but called farrier, he came back the next day, reset the shoe, and Cloudy was sound for the show.

Altho if the hot nail insulted the hoof, causing damage to the soft tissue, you might have to soak for a week.

Sorry for Reese.

Comment

Generally, if it is a close or hot nail, hoof testers will show sensitivity at the site of the nail.
              "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

I just saw this Megan. How is he? Any change yet? The same? I'm pretty sure that Brian gave you the abscess poultice recipe that I use too.... Are you leaving it on 24/7? Are you poulticing the coronary band as well? A Davis boot over your diaper/bandaging is a good way to keep the wrap on if he gets turned out...

Curious, did you deworm lately with a double dose?
                Whole Horse Hoof Care
                Horseshoeing...Deceptively Simple
                Endlessly Complex

Comment

Whoops.... did he give you the DMSO recipe?
                  Whole Horse Hoof Care
                  Endlessly Complex

Comment

Sounds rather like the abscess I'm currently treating. Mare slightly off 10 days ago. 3-legged lame 8 days ago, with slight swelling above fetlock, warm foot, and bounding digital pulse. Vet out 7 days ago, horse reacted to testers at one spot with no visual indication of abscess, while no response to a visual bruise. Started soaking, wrapping with betadine/epsom salt poultice, bute 2x day, and stalling. Horse continued to be very lame until 2 days ago (Monday). Found a horizontal narrow 3/4 inch split on heel bulb at coronary band, but no pus that I could see. Horse noticeably improved, weight-bearing on the foot but still favoring it. Will continue to soak and wrap, but have discontinued the bute. Vet out tomorrow for follow up.

I too had visions of worse-case scenarios and needing radiographs. The vet also recommended having a farrier pare out the sole, but I really did not want digging around when the abscess couldn't actually be seen. I'm glad I waited.

Listen to your vet of course, but time and patience may do the trick. Good luck.
                    Last edited by KSAQHA; Oct. 8, 2008, 07:49 AM. Reason: grammar
                    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
                    <><

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, we used the DMSO recipe and all the other ones known to man ;-)

I didn't DD him with any wormer, although I had been seriously considering it/on the verge of doing it.

At any rate, he is still lame as of yesterday and was started on Bute Monday evening to at least get the inflammation down, since he's got some swelling and fill in his RF leg as well as heat in the RF hoof. We hadn't had him on it before because we wanted the abscess (if there was one) to blow, and felt that the Bute would have dissipated it and done him no good.

He's gimpy despite the Bute and small turnout, but still in good spirits. He actually bit my sweatshirt and nearly pulled it off over my head last night, so I'd say he's feeling like himself.

He's had some non-descript RF suspensory issues in the past, hence our concern with it being something other than an abscess since nothing has ruptured in a week, him still being lame with swelling in the leg and the worsening of the lameness with movement.

The vet will be out tomorrow to pull some rads and to perform a lameness evaluation so we can find out for sure what's going on. I think there could very well be more than one issue concurrently; so I'm interested to see how it all turns out.

Of course, this particular incident could not have come at a worse financial time for me, but such is life.

Comment

Ah, Ok good. Sounds just like an abscess, but fill us in on what the vet says

Reese... his name should be, "Life of the Party!" As nutty as he is, he sure is cute

Sorry 'bout your wallet It never fails, does it.... Here's to hoping he pops before the vet arrives
                        Whole Horse Hoof Care
                        Endlessly Complex

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Patty Lynch View Post
                          Ah, Ok good. Sounds just like an abscess, but fill us in on what the vet says

Reese... his name should be, "Life of the Party!" As nutty as he is, he sure is cute

Sorry 'bout your wallet It never fails, does it.... Here's to hoping he pops before the vet arrives
                          Well thank you, he certainly has grown into a very handsome young man, and certainly is the life of the party!

That's a great idea of a show name, btw, if I ever get to actually ride him.

I don't know when the last time you saw him was, but he looks like a COMPLETELY different horse these days (in a good way, though!)

Brian and I think that he looks like a QH

Comment

Working...
                          X