• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How long should a winter T/O last?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd never expect a 600D to last with playful turnout buddies. I just bought a 600D for my friends horse who is living with me this winter, but only because he just goes out with my pony who doesn't play bite blankets. I really wouldn't waste my money on anything less than 1200D for horses out with playful buddies.

My horse has a 1680D Ballistic Nylon turnout that still looks new after 2 winters.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Comment

Originally posted by bluegirl View Post
      I am a devoted Dover customer partly due to their awesome return policy, easy access to the Chantilly, VA store with great, helpful staff, and good product selection. I have bought mucho amount of horse stuff there!

No chance on the OTTB owner helping with cost. She is BO daughter and no spare money. I also realize its just part of horse keeping as well. I bought the 600 before these 2 horses were put together and didn't know the TB was a biter. Honestly happy my boy has his blanket to protect him some. In warmer weather he has lots of bites.....I wish he could be in other field..... We shall have to see. My boy did plant his dinner-plate size hoof in TB's chest the other day. I think he got tired of the bites. Maybe he will back down some.
      Thanks for the input....apologies for grammar/typing on my phone!
      I'd chat with Dover then & see what they offer

I'd discuss change in T/O - your horse is too polite to have to live with the biter - it's different when both are giving as good as they get, but it sounds like your guy would probably appreciate some alternate T/O buddies.
      If BO daughter is not willing to use a muzzle on her horse (honestly I'd be very hesitant to do this) or help with blanket repair/purchase, I'd insist on fnding another T/O situation.

While this is part of horsekeeping, if I owned the biter, I'd share in the consequences of his behavior - at another barn, he'd probably be doomed to solo or limited T/O or matched up with another biter ...

Comment

Originally posted by CrowneDragon View Post
        I have never tried one of these, but the idea seems like a good one if you have to pasture with a biter....
        http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...5-650b71dcaa0e
        I second this idea! If you can get one of those sheets (or any other stiff fly sheet), it will help save the wear and tear on the 600D blankets.

My horse goes out with two other blanket biters and it can get rough. I got a Stateline fly sheet (like the Kensington), in the Dover Bargin Basement. That sheet is doing an excellent job protecting my Classic Cover Up sheets and blankets. You can see on the fly sheet where the teeth have 'bitten'. There's no hole, but the teeth were rough enough to rub the colour off!

Comment

My horse has some "friends" who like to try to undress him. Knowing this, I NEVER buy him anything new. Hit up the 4H tack sales and such, get some used blankets and repair and waterproof them yourself.
          I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Comment

I had a few Schneiders turnouts that held up to pasturemates well. 1200D stormshield fitted t/o. My guy was out with 20+ horses and was constantly fighting. I don't think I had one rip due to pasturemates. My guy did however constantly rip his shoulder gussets though because the t/o was restricting his shoulders and he hated it.

FWIW, he is now at home with 3 other horses and wears an Amigo 1200D. The surcingle front is great for him and the cut of the blanket doesn't restrict him at all. His amigo is almost 2 yrs old and looks good (knock on wood).
            come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Comment

Like several others who have commented... I have 2 Rambos still going strong that are over 10 years old, and several that are 5+ years old and in perfect shape. They cost a decent amount... but when they last that long and fit so well, most definitely worth it in my book.
              High Quality Tack Resale

Comment

I have a triple crown blanket that is over 20 years old and has been used on various horses over the years and is in good shape and is still moderately water proof. The other blankets I have are all 1200 denier and several are about 5 years old and in decent shape. Current blankets for my mare are about 2 years old.

Comment

Mine has two Rambos that are on year 4. That's not much, but the last ones she had were shredded by the end of winter. It was getting expensive replacing those blankets every year so I broke down and bought two Wugs - a no fill and a med fill.
                  You are what you dare.

Comment

I used a fabric no chew spray on my Harry's blanket...he's a chewer. We know it's him because he's the only one who still has a tail flap on his blanket. ;-)

I had to keep his things sprayed for about 2 seasons, as well as the back ends of the other two's blankets. Finally broke his fascination with chewing...worked like a charm. I don't spray anything any more.

I knew I was in trouble when I reported to his first mom, shortly after I got him, that I put a sheet on him. There was a long pause, all the way from North Carolina, and finally she said: "Not your good one, I hope". Uh-Oh!
                    Ride like you mean it.

Comment

My heavy winter blankets are either 600 or 1200D. The one weatherbeeta is probably 10+ years old and the others (a Riders 600D and a Smartpak 1200D) are about 3 years old. The three year old blankets still look brand new and the weatherbeeta, while patched in places, is still in good shape.

My gelding is on private turnout, but likes to chew on his blankets. What saves the turnouts (both from rips and tears and from excessive dirt) are the turnout sheets I put on top. I have two 1200D turnouts that I alternate between and take the brunt of his teeth or other things that might rip or tear his blankets. I clean and patch them as necessary throughout the season.

Almost all of the horses at my barn have turnout sheets as their top layer. It has really saved on damages to the heavy blankets.

Comment

Originally posted by OTTBcooper View Post
                        For a 600D blanket being worn in a a field with a known biter, I think lasting several weeks last winter and a month this winter is exceptional! Dover's Northwind turnouts have a guarantee (1260D I believe) but the plain Riders do not. I would definitely suggest a Northwind, a Rambo, or another blanket with a warranty against rips and tears. I wouldn't be comfortable returning a blanket I knew would be ripped by another horse.
                        Ditto on the not returning the blanket. This wasn't a problem with the product. This was a product subjected to abuse. I favor Saratoga Horseworks myself. Pricey, but sturdy. I have stuff from 2000 still in use. Good thing new horse can wear her predecessor's clothing. She loves the windproof and waterproof sheet I bought for her since I didn't have one of those.

Comment

My mares turnout blanket is at least 7 years old and my sister just retired a 8 year old sheet (600 denier) in perfect condition because she upgraded.

Even a low denier blanket should last a few years IF the pasture doesn't have any trees, there are no blanket biters, and the horse never rolls on rocks. So for the average turnout situation I would expect a 600 denier to last under a year. If you have a diva horse that avoids everything, you might get lucky like my sister and have a blanket you retire before it gets destroyed.

Comment

I have Smartpak rugs (not the new ones with the 10 year guarantee) that are well into their 3rd season, I think. I can see them lasting for ages longer, barring some big issue. They survived a few weeks last winter with a very big, very playful companion. If they can survive that, it will probably take a nuclear war to destroy them!

I have had ANCIENT Rambos still kicking. I do actually have a set of Rambos that are probably 12 years old, if not older. I haven't used them as heavily the last few years, but only because they are too small for my horse. I would pull them out and use them without batting an eye now, if needed.

I can't imagine spending the money on 600 denier. Even on quiet, non-playful horses.
                            Amanda

Comment

I love the Riders' TO sheets, but assume that with the rough-playing ones that I'll be replacing them every couple of years. Not the fault of the sheets - they're good for what they are - I just have youngsters who are really rough on their clothes.

For warmer TO blankets, I like the Shires for heavyweight which have lasted quite long and seem to bundle them up a bit better than the Rambos; the SmartPak "indestructible" ones are only mediums and not warm enough for my body clipped horses. I do have a couple of Rambos that have compressed down from heavys to mediums - they've had the average number of clips repaired/replaced but they are pretty durable. Do spend the money on anti-chew spray - it cut down a decent amount of the blanket biting, though it doesn't seem to dissuade the ones who are really dedicated to face-and-ear-tag.

Comment

Spend the $ for a Rambo. At least a 1200 denier. I've got one heavyweight original Rambo that I bought in Dec. '99 for a new horse. The old horse, his buddy, was a T-Rex as far as going after and grabbing the blanket. Other than being a bit faded, the '99 Rambo is as good as new.
                                Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

I have a couple of Rambos that are in their 10+ year... But then I just got a rhino from smartpak, 1000D, that didn't last a month before it started to shred. This with the same horse as the old rambos. Not. Happy. I am having conversations with smartpak to see if they will replace it...
                                  where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by rhymeswithfizz View Post
                                    I have a couple of Rambos that are in their 10+ year... But then I just got a rhino from smartpak, 1000D, that didn't last a month before it started to shred. This with the same horse as the old rambos. Not. Happy. I am having conversations with smartpak to see if they will replace it...
                                    IMHO, thr problem is with the Rhinos. I have some of the new Rambos, and they have been fine. Good luck in your negotiations.

Comment

My horse has been in with blanket-biters in his life but never anything too bad until last year. His new pasture mate shredded his brand new fly sheet but so far his winter turnouts are holding up.

That being said, I never buy anything under 1000D. My horse is no longer the alpha horse so his blankets are covered with bite marks. We're halfway through the second winter of a new rambo blanket. His other winter turnouts are in their 8th and 12th year. Both have been repaired numerous times but still fully functional.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hmmmm. Thanks for all the feedback. Looks like most folks expect their well made, 1200 denier blankets to last at least a few years with some specific caveats for blanket biting buttheads. So, considering the fact that my gelding is likely stuck with his current roommate for the time being, I will look into an upgrade for him. I may get his current T/O cleaned up and repaired for a back up. The 600 blanket was pretty much about all that was left in the store in his size when I bought him last February. It has small pink pinstripes and some of the folks at my barn swear that the blanket has been embarrassing him anyway. (Sigh)

Comment

So, considering the fact that my gelding is likely stuck with his current roommate for the time being
                                          Just make sure that he's enjoying all the attention he gets from his pasture mate, some horses become quite stressed even when the "aggressor" is doing it all in play.

Is there a possibility to add another horse to the group? or maybe rotate days so your guy is not always stuck with Mr Teeth ... also keep in mind, that at this time it's blanket damage, how will you feel if it's injury to your horse (obviously there will be no assistance with vet bills either).

Comment

Working...
                                          X