• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

EPM Shake didn't work...on to Marquis...any advice??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPM Shake didn't work...on to Marquis...any advice??

Well, 2012 just wasn't a good year for my boy. Most recently, he's developed neurological symptoms that appear to be "EPM-like," so we ran a blood test. He tested mid-range, so we treated him first with the EPM shake (I was so hoping that the cheapest medicine would work). After three months, there's been no improvement, so my vet suggested I order Marquis. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this actually works, but I'm SOOOO NERVOUS!!!

He fell recently when he accidentally stepped on his lead rope. I wasn't there when it happened, but it breaks my heart to see him so fragile. Have any of you had success with Marquis? How quickly did you see an improvement?

If this doesn't work, my vet said that may indicate it's not EPM at all, but rather neck arthritis. I cringe to think that it could be something we can't do anything about...

Just wondering if you ruled out other neurologic diseases. It could be lyme, rabies... I would be very aggressive about testing now, not after you try Marquis. Since tick borne diseases cause arthritic symptoms I would at least start him on doxy and if you see any improvement become more aggressive with IV oxytet.

I have a mare who was very neurologic and she was going down so quickly I insisted we put her on iv oxytet while we ruled out other diseases, including epm. She responded to oxytet even though her lyme titers were only mildly elevated, however there is another tick borne disease that responds to oxytet but does not test (it has been identified in humans. I can't remember what it's called). I suspect she had that because she responded so well to oxytet. We thought we were going to lose her but did not only because we acted quickly and aggressively. We did test for epm but I can't remember what her titers were except that they were so low we stopped treatment (we had started Marquis also).

Comment

Why not shoot a few x-rays now to see if you've got arthritis? It's cheap and can be done in the barn as long as your vet has a good machine. A couple shots each of the neck and back now seems better than potentially two months of Marquis for no reason.

Comment

^^This. Get the neck rads done. Why wait another month and throw $$$ down the drain on Marquis if that may not be the issue at all??? You could save that money to get the articular facets of the cervical vertebrae injected which would make him comfortable if arthritis is the culprit. Why wait and risk another potential accident??

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I asked my vet about the neck x-rays, and he said that while they may show something, it really wouldn't be conclusive without an MRI, which is pretty $$$ and requires anethesia. I'm concerned about giving him anethesia given his age. The horse's blood was already tested for other diseases that may present neurological symptoms, but I will ask again.

I've already ordered the Marquis, so I'm in for at least a month. My vet is fairly certain this is EPM as he was treated for a tendon injury with a steroid injection, which reduces a horse's immunity to EPM. Shortly thereafter, he began presenting these symptoms. Also, two other horses at the barn were recently diagnosed with EPM, and a possum family was found living under the tack room. They have since been moved to a national park.

Comment

[QUOTE=PrinceSheik325;6744676]Well, I asked my vet about the neck x-rays, and he said that while they may show something, it really wouldn't be conclusive without an MRI, which is pretty $$$ and requires anethesia. I'm concerned about giving him anethesia given his age. The horse's blood was already tested for other diseases that may present neurological symptoms, but I will ask again.

Well, no worries about the $ for an MRI - there is no clinic/university etc. is able to do MRIs on a horses neck (not alive anyway).

Xrays of the neck could also rule out trauma - chip or fracture (if he had an accident or something)

I'm surprised your vet hasn't done a spinal tap though. That would give you an answer on the EPM before you spend all the money on treatment. It also could rule out other possibilities.

Comment

• Original Poster

It was my understanding that a spinal tap would be used to test cerebrospinal fluid, which may show more than a blood test, but not necessarily. Also, the risks associated with a spinal tap...increased ataxia, possibility of paralysis, etc. seem to outweigh the advantages. Additionally, a spinal tap would be around $800.

Perhaps I'm mixing up the name of what my vet said would be used to diagnose arthritis of the neck. He told me that the procedure involves injecting a fluorescent liquid into the neck and taking images of the neck while the horse is under anesthesia. I thought that was an MRI, but perhaps it's something else. At any rate, he recommended ruling out EPM before going down this route.

Comment

That's a myelogram. That will show compression of the spinal cord. But plain radiographs (no general anesthesia) will definitely show changes in the vertebrae/arthritis; I have no idea why your vet would suggest that they are not useful. Ultrasound is very useful also (if your vet knows how to use it). Your vet may not feel comfortable reading neck rads and maybe that's why he said that.

You might save a lot of time, effort and money if you ship him in to a university or large clinic.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Meadow36 View Post
                  That's a myelogram. That will show compression of the spinal cord. But plain radiographs (no general anesthesia) will definitely show changes in the vertebrae/arthritis; I have no idea why your vet would suggest that they are not useful. Ultrasound is very useful also (if your vet knows how to use it). Your vet may not feel comfortable reading neck rads and maybe that's why he said that.

You might save a lot of time, effort and money if you ship him in to a university or large clinic.
                  I certainly appreciate these comments, and now, I guess I'm at a loss as to what to do. My vet is generally viewed as one of the best in the region and is often referred the difficult cases that other vets are unable to handle. I've been working with him for 20 years, and I trust him. But, what you all have said is making me question his recommendations. I've called and left word for him and will raise the concerns mentioned in this thread once he calls me back.

Comment

Often times when you try to go the cheap route you end up spending way more money. You throw things at the horse hoping it will fix whatever the problem is rather than figuring out what the problem is and going straight to the appropriate treatment. It is up to you if you want to keep throwing things or find out what the problem is. That would probably be best handled at a clinic or hospital that can do it all.
                    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

mmm... I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the vet. You haven't mentioned where you are located. If it's an area with a high instance of EPM cases, and you're already in for a month of Marquis, well... don't go looking for zebras when there is a donkey standing in front of you. (or in your case, 2 OTHER cases in your barn already and a positive opossum connection)

You can mention the things that have been brought up here, but the bottom line is your vet is the one on the scene, hands on the horse, not us.
                      The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Comment

• Original Poster

Laurie - that is very true. I wasn't necessarily trying to go the "cheap" route. I was just trying to be smart with his treatment as he's a 22 year old horse. I had concerns about invasive testing and since my vet recommended treating for EPM, went that route. As my vet described, there are three main treatments for EPM, which all are about 75% effective in 75% of horses. Of course, that 75% of horses is different for each medication. As a result, it seems logical to try Marquis for a month and see. I've talked with several vets who have all said I should see improvement with Marquis within a month if it's EPM. While Marquis is $760, taking him to a hospital would be just as costly. It seems to me that trying the Marquis seems like a logical way to go. If that doesn't work, then I'll just have to deal with more invasive testing.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by propspony View Post
                          mmm... I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the vet. You haven't mentioned where you are located. If it's an area with a high instance of EPM cases, and you're already in for a month of Marquis, well... don't go looking for zebras when there is a donkey standing in front of you. (or in your case, 2 OTHER cases in your barn already and a positive opossum connection)

You can mention the things that have been brought up here, but the bottom line is your vet is the one on the scene, hands on the horse, not us.
                          Thanks - I needed this. It's easy to second guess yourself (and your vet) when everyone seems to think your course of treatment is absurd. I would imagine EPM is pretty prevalent in my area as there are possums everywhere. In fact, one even lives under my deck (not to worry - I live in the city...away from horses).

Comment

Now that I know about the other two horses and the possom I think your vet is following the most logical path.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                              That would probably be best handled at a clinic or hospital that can do it all.
                              Yeeessss.... but... sometimes a vet, familiar with the horse itself can be worth more than an entire vet clinic.

Case in point: My mare was off in front. Short stepping, uncomfortable,miserable in fact, but not really pin-pointable. My regular vet was out of town for a month. So I was sent by the local clinic to the clinic at San Luis Rey. The first thing I said upon arriving at the clinic was: "I think she might be presenting with EPM" and was told REPEATEDLY over the weekend, that that was simply not possible. After running what seemed like every test at the office, (short of the one that would turn her radioactive) and a vet bill of over a thousand, I was given a diagnosis of navicular. (which didn't seem right to me at all, but they were the experts...)

My vet came home, took one look at the horse trotting and before I said one word, said: "you guys are originally from Pittsburgh right? I'm going to test her for Lyme and EPM"

The mare's EPM titer came back off the charts. (This was so long ago I can't remember which test was used...) We treated and my mare recovered to about 75-80% of "normal."

All because this vet knew our history, how the horse moved normally, and what her risk factors had been.

I have nothing against San Luis Rey by the way, they treated us like rock stars while we were there, and I think my mare still dreams about their "All you can eat" hay buffet and turn out paddocks...
                              Last edited by propspony; Dec. 28, 2012, 03:19 PM.

Comment

What's in the EPM shake?

I used Oroquin-10 from Pathogenes on my EPM horse, as I did not want to subject him to the heightened risk of side effects from Marquis, plus it was MUCH more affordable. That was just over a year ago, and he is doing really, really well - staying sound and in work, progressing very nicely in his training, and laying in muscle on his topline for the first time in years.
                                http://pathogenes.com/

Comment

I don't have time to read all of the comments, as I just popped on here quickly, but a few things:

1. They don't really do spinal taps for EPM anymore - they do a blood titer that is sent to UC Davis and is quite accurate as to exposure levels. Treatment is often based on the results of this test. The test is around $100, I believe, and is well worth doing.

2. They can do a similar test for Lyme (titer that shows range of exposure). That one has a similar cost, but the blood is sent to Cornell rather than UC Davis.

3. The other tick bourne disease someone was thinking of is anaplasmosis (also sometimes called ehrlicia). It cases a high fever (104ish) and stocking up. The horse would be sick in a way that isn't very similar to EPM.

4. If the horse had rabies, it would be dead by now, so I would not worry about that.

I would get the blood titers pulled for EPM and Lyme IMMEDIATELY and sent to UC Davis and Cornell. If those came back with little to no exposure, I would then proceed to neck x-rays.

I would never treat with Marquis without at least testing for EPM first.

Comment

Originally posted by PrinceSheik325 View Post
                                    Well, 2012 just wasn't a good year for my boy. Most recently, he's developed neurological symptoms that appear to be "EPM-like," so we ran a blood test. He tested mid-range, so we treated him first with the EPM shake
                                    First thing the vet did was get a titer count... well, probably second after looking at the horse... ;-) lol

Comment

Originally posted by propspony View Post
                                      First thing the vet did was get a titer count... well, probably second after looking at the horse... ;-) lol
                                      D'oh! I even went back and re-read the OP and somehow didn't catch this because I was reading so quickly!

Given that he tested mid-range, I would totally treat for EPM with Marquis.

Comment

Actually the UC Davis IFAT titer is NOT accurate; it is potentially useful as a screen but that's about it. Unless it is extremely negative or extremely positive, all other values are "equivocal".

The SAG 2/3/4 ELISA (which compares titers from the blood to that of the CSF and comes up with a ratio) is considered the most accurate test available at the moment: http://www.edslabky.com/education/13...-bulletin.html

I was not intentionally questioning your vet; but a horse that has been neurological for 3+ months, non-responsive to the first round of treatment, and dangerous/falling, NEEDS NECK RADS. That's just the proper standard of care. You are retreating for a neurologic disease based on an equivocal blood test that is known to have many false positives without doing any diagnostics for the handful of other causes of neurological dysfunction. Maybe you and your vet are miscommunicating?

Call your local university and ask for a phone consult. You don't have to take the word of people on the internet, but I definitely think a second opinion is appropriate. (preferably with someone boarded in medicine).

Comment

Working...
                                        X