• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Hand" walking after tendon injury- from horse's back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Hand" walking after tendon injury- from horse's back?

Posting as an alter to avoid hard feelings.

My horse had some swelling on her leg last week. She wasn't off, but we handled it as if it were a tendon injury just in case. We've been doing the usual- wrapping, stall rest, light hand walking, etc. etc. etc. You all know the drill. Vet came out to ultrasound a few days ago and confirmed that it was indeed tendon damage. Though it's not the most severe tendon injury in the world (according to my vet- it sure feels like it to me since we're talking about my baby) we're going to do all of the treatments the vet recommends- stem cell, etc.

Vet has instructed me to continue wrapping, stall rest and hand walking, but she said that because of my size (I'm smallish) and because of my horse's size (she's monstrous) I could tack her up and "hand walk from her back." While I would like nothing more than for this to be OK, it worries me. I don't know, it just feels counterintuitive. I've been away from the horse world for a long time so I don't know if this is acceptable these days, or if it always has been, but for some reason I feel like it wouldn't have gone over well in my pony club days.

I want to make sure she has a successful recovery and if the added weight of me on her back will slow things down or do further damage, I won't risk it. Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

My vet reccommends the same routine. My guy is getting over a check ligament tear, and I have been told that as soon as he appears sound that I can start riding him at a walk. He feels a lot of horses are more focussed with a rider rather than dancing around "owner dragging" that hand walking often morphs into in a hurry.
    I got on him Monday for the first time in over a month and walked for maybe 10 mins max. He us having shockwave treatments and is wrapped continually to protect and suport the area.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by littlecreek; Dec. 26, 2012, 11:35 PM. Reason: Typing on my tablet without glasses, sigh..

Comment

If you think she would behave better for under saddle walks than actual hand walks, then I would get on her for her walks. I did actual hand walking with my gelding for 6 months before getting on him to do walk rides (suspensory injury). Honestly, he was much better behaved and probably easier on his ligament during the walk rides than he ever was for hand walking.

During the actual hand walks he frequently reared and slammed down hard on the affected leg. He did less of this when ridden (note...I did not say he *never* did it while ridden...sigh...he was a four year old at the time...the whole stall rest thing was super hard on him). Fact of the matter is that they are all going to do SOMETHING during rehab at some point that just plain is not good for the injury. Most of the time, they get through it okay and come out the other side.

The one thing my vet did tell me was not to ever let him get loose. Actually, when I had to start getting on him to do walking rides, my vet's actual words to me were "whatever you do, don't fall off and let him get loose - that would be a major setback for him." LOL. Thanks for the tip! Instead of falling off as planned, I will make an effort to stay on his back. That said, I have known several horses that have gotten loose during rehab and they have still ended up fine. Stuff happens, even when you are careful. Just do the best you can.

Comment

I don't see a problem with "hand walking" on her back, especially if you are small. In the past, I've gotten on to walk recuperating horses that were supposed to be hand walked because with certain horses (especially ones that have been locked in a stall for a long period of time), riding at the walk was safer and easier to control then from the ground. I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure to heed the vet's advice as far as the speed you should be going, length of time, etc. Good luck!
        High Quality Tack Resale

Comment

My vet told me the same thing a few years ago when I was rehabbing a mare from stem cell therapy for a check ligament injury. And as others have said, the mare was more focused and better behaved walking under saddle than when I hand walked her.

Comment

If the vet ok'd it and I felt comfortable doing it, I'd do the walking under saddle. Some horses are better with a rider than person on the ground. One of my current horses is a total sh!t if I try to hand walk him...he's big, with a giraffe neck that gets swinging, long legs that start flying around (he likes to Spanish walk...), and a goofy attitude that can be dangerous on the ground. But I can get on and walk him with no issue...he's very well behaved under saddle. As long as the vet says ok, I'd do it that way. Some injuries they don't want you on them, but sounds like that isn't the case here.

Comment

So, long as your horse behaves under saddle, and you are not risking life and limb,yours, go to it. I have one that is much better under saddle, but still not a saint. And we've walked hours and miles by now.
              Taking it day by day!

Comment

My guy has a tendon tear and vet said if horse would behave, it was ok to ride at the walk.

Comment

Along with what everyone else has said about behavior, your horse may emotionally feel better with a job. I know my mare does much much better if I get on to walk her instead of hand walking. She's also better behaved, so I think my balanced weight on her back is better for her than her unbalanced weight thrashing around

Comment

I agree, if the Vet recommended it, it is probably just fine. If you would feel better, do you have another horse that you could pony that horse off of to do your walk time?

Just a thought.
                    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!

Comment

We call it "tackwalking" and it is actually better in general so there is more stretching as you rehab, so the fibers dont heal shorter and less elastic. Does that make sense?
                      "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                      carolprudm

Comment

Yes, tackwalking. And it usually means the horse will be allowed to walk for a longer period of time, in a more forward walk. It is probably much better for the horse and the injury. And at least half the time, the horse thinks they have been 'worked,' and that seems to help them mentally also. (They get the same routine of groom, tack, hand out in arena with buddies, etc.)

People don't seem to realize the confining a horse to a stall is about as healthy as confining a human to a bed. If you've ever been seriously injured and bed ridden, then you know how horrible it feels, and how it can 'melt' your body. (In this day and age, those sick PTs will try to get you out of bed and doing jumping jacks when it still feels to you like your body will break in half if you stand up!)

As a matter of fact, unless the horse has broken a bone, a lot of the experienced folks in my area will tackwalk a horse no matter what the injury. Usually folks reach the conclusion that talk walking is better after they, or their staff, have been injured repeatedly (or scared well enough) by the fireworks that come hand in hand with dealing with a horses that have been confined to a stall for several months.
                        "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

My vet said whatever way was safer and more likely to result in horse good behavior was fine for bringing my horse back. And he's a VERY top lameness vet.
                          ~Veronica
                          "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                          http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

My vet said the same thing coming back off a suspensory tear- sitting on him to do his walks was just fine. My waistline regretted the loss of the daily 2-mile hand walks, but Tip likes to have a job, so it seemed like he felt better about it.

My sister's big idiot was instructed to hand-walk, tack-walk, or be ponied at the walk, whichever would keep him from killing himself. Especially if they're confined to a stall, the "not harming self or others" really is the bottom line!
                            "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                            Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

Yup, tack walking is fine- provided, of course, you can stay on! I was rehabbing a horse for someone, had been hand walking for weeks, finally trainer and vet decided I should try tack walking him. One of those "do NOT let him get loose no matter what" cases. Didn't even make it 2 laps around the arena before I was rocket launched and upside down in the dirt. Horse was fine, after we caught him, I was fine, annnnd we went back to hand walking.

Comment

My vet said this was okay too for my mare both times she had a torn tendon. My mare is big but not huge (16.1 hands, ~1200lbs) and I am not tiny (~165lbs), and she said it was okay.

But ... I didn't do it. Not because I don't trust my vet, but because when I get on my mare, she's aaaaaaalll about getting to work. I knew she wouldn't walk but would jig and bounce and dance. Esp since she was on stall rest. She does stop this after a few minutes and after some trot work, but that wouldn't work for what she needed.

So, she got a chain over her nose (to remind her of her manners) and we walked the trails around the farm.

If you vet gives you the go-ahead, and you think your horse will agree to just walk, then by all means do it. It does feel funny since the horse is on 'rest', but they do heal much better when those nasty adhesions are not allowed to form on the tendon.

My mare healed up fine both times, no further soundness issues and no noticeable 'bump' on the tendon either.

Comment

Working...
                                X