• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Chronic Diarrhea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronic Diarrhea

I've posted in the past about my mare and her chronic diarrhea (my computer isn't cooperating so I can't seem find my old posts)... Anyway, now that winter has (sort of) arrived, we're dealing with fun diarrhea again. That said, the diarrhea/loose stool is constant throughout the year, but it's a different consistency in the winter. It's actually a little thicker in the winter which results in her tail (and legs) becoming a poop-filled mess and when temperatures are below freezing, a giant poopcicle (in the summer/fall her tail is usually fine even though her stool is more liquidy/loose).

So at this point, the vets assume it's a hind gut issue/IBS and since we've tried more or less everything we can think of (diet change, supplements, ulcer treatment, elimination diet, grass and no hay, hay and no grass, alfalfa only, grass hay only, metronidizole, prednisone, antibiotics, other sterioids, etc.) over the past 3+ years, chances are we can't solve the diarrhea issue.

But, how can I keep her tail clean? I washed it the other morning and by the evening it was impossible to tell I'd washed it. And with temperatures getting cold and no hot water outside, I can't exactly be hosing her legs/tail daily with freezing water. I'm so sick of diarrhea right now! Winter is the only time it's that much of an issue.

Any suggestions?

I'd buy a couple of cheap tail bags and keep her tail up in the winter. There's no flies, and you can just swap out the bags every day or two and toss them in the wash.
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Comment

A friend of mine has a horse that contracted giardia, the same thing that effects people from bad drinking water (AKA beaver fever). Her horse had just about constant diarrhea that persisted even with probiotics, feed changes etc.

It might be worth asking the vet about a stool test for it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by CatPS View Post
        I'd buy a couple of cheap tail bags and keep her tail up in the winter. There's no flies, and you can just swap out the bags every day or two and toss them in the wash.
        That's not a bad idea. I did try it a couple years ago, but I think I was doing something wrong and I could never get the bag to stay on longer than a couple of hours. How do you properly tie them to make them stay on? The other thing is the worst of the tail poop is up by the tail bone. Still, if I can get them to stay on, it might help part of the tail.

Originally posted by mlb722 View Post
        A friend of mine has a horse that contracted giardia, the same thing that effects people from bad drinking water (AKA beaver fever). Her horse had just about constant diarrhea that persisted even with probiotics, feed changes etc.

It might be worth asking the vet about a stool test for it.
        I have to say, giardia is one thing we never even discussed. I may have to ask about that one next time I have the vet out. It can't hurt to test. That said, I think one of the treatments for giardia is metronizazole and she did NOT respond much to it.

Comment

Your (much) earlier topic
          - now I'll go read

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by alto View Post
            Your (much) earlier topic
            - now I'll go read
            Thank you! Each time I try and search or access old posts, my computer freezes and it's time to restart. It's on it's last legs...

Comment

Yes, she was on Probios for 4-6 months and it really made no difference
              Refrigerated stuff (usually $$) or the useless RT shite that most places sell?

How long was she on Metronidazole? (I assume it was as a followup to a Power Pack type dewormer)

Allergy panel?

Has she ever been starved/emaciated? - this can be as a consequence to illness as well, ie, anything that wipes out the gut bacteria (eg, antibiotics followed by bacterial overgrowth - the wrong sort) or damages the intestional wall sufficiently (severe parasites, bacteria).
              Since you never answered these questions back when, I'll admit they are still one's I'd ask

Note that Flagyl=Metronidazole & giardia can be difficult to diagnose unless it's a raging "infection".

Given the length of time your horse has had diarrhea, I suspect that any supplements will need a 3 month trial to really assess, meds such as Metronidazole will need 1 month to assess ...

Have you tried herbal remedies such as those marketed by Silver Lining Herbs?

ETA
              The other thing is the worst of the tail poop is up by the tail bone.
              Dock wraps?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by alto View Post
                Since you never answered these questions back when, I'll admit they are still one's I'd ask
                Oops. Sorry! I'll answer now.

Refrigerated stuff (usually $$) or the useless RT shite that most places sell?
                I can't remember. I've done the probios powder, probios paste, and fastrack. There may have been another probiotic that I've tried. I know she was on the powder for close to a year and the fastrack for at least 6 months.

How long was she on Metronidazole? (I assume it was as a followup to a Power Pack type dewormer)
                Metronidazole for either 21 or 28 days. It was 2 years ago so I'm fuzzy on the exact time.

Allergy panel?
                No. 2 vets have talked me out of the allergy panel. So that I didn't do.

Has she ever been starved/emaciated? - this can be as a consequence to illness as well, ie, anything that wipes out the gut bacteria (eg, antibiotics followed by bacterial overgrowth - the wrong sort) or damages the intestional wall sufficiently (severe parasites, bacteria).
                This I don't know. It's possible in the past prior to her time with me/previous owner. I have her papers. She's from the midwest and somehow ended up at New Holland (not in the kill pen) where she was purchased by the farm I bought her from for their lesson program. Her weight was evidently fine then. She's had loose stool since before that point. She is very broke western but has soundness issues. It's been suggested that she might have been buted for a significant length of time which may have done something to her stomach. BUT, that's just speculation.

Note that Flagyl=Metronidazole & giardia can be difficult to diagnose unless it's a raging "infection".

Given the length of time your horse has had diarrhea, I suspect that any supplements will need a 3 month trial to really assess, meds such as Metronidazole will need 1 month to assess ...

Have you tried herbal remedies such as those marketed by Silver Lining Herbs?

ETA

Dock wraps?
                I do try and keep her on supplements for 2-3 months as a trial. Usually it's cheaper for buy larger buckets anyway.

Hopefully those answer help? Let me know if I missed answering anything.

No, haven't tried anything from Silver Lining Herbs. I have however tried some herbal remedies including stuff with slippery elm in it.

Comment

As for a tail bag....

Here's what has worked for me, though I'm not a pro at this....

First, I start french braiding the tail hair at the tail bone. I start weaving in the straps of the tail bag when I'm about half way down. At the end of the tail bone, I tie off the first braid with a pony tail holder. Then, you can either braid the rest of the tail or twist. THen cover/put in tail bag. Then you tie around BELOW the tailbone--not around. But having the ties braided in makes it hold better.

That said, I still undid the bag/braid every few days. That may not be the best way, but it worked for me. You can make a pretty functional tail bag out of a long tube sock, btw.

You don't have to buy something.
                  A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

I have tried just about everything on my daughters aged pony (except metronidazole)---what has helped the most was treating extensively for sand, deworming and switching him to a complete feed designed for seniors (taking him off hay completely- He has access to year round pasture). The biggest change came with removing long stem forage (hay) and switching to the senior. His D is very manageable now an (going from the nasty tail/constant squirts to soft formed)--he is a Senior though (late twenties in otherwise excellent health).
                    Redbud Ranch
                    Check us out on FB

Comment

I like the slinky-material tail bags that you actually braid in, personally, because they do start at the base of the dock... not sure how much that would help you in this particular case, though. If the poo soaks through, I can see how they would just make a bigger mess Maybe you could start french braiding above the dock and tie the bag in up that high so that it covers the tail starting at the bottom of the dock???
                      "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
                      but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

Comment

Have you tried Saccharomyces boullardi?

Comment

FWIW I believe my friend's horse only responded to flagyl for the giardia.

Edited to add it was for an extended period of time. The first round was not long enough and it did not clear up.

Also, from what I understand from a microbiologist friend, you can get false negatives depending on the skill of the person doing the test and how bad the infection is.
                          Last edited by mlb722; Dec. 23, 2012, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Bio-sponge, psyllium and a really good probiotic would be how I would approach.

And I'd vet wrap the tail up like arab people do.

Comment

I had one who we tried everything and then everything again including bio sponge, all sorts of pro, prebiotics, feeds, etc. What worked was Dr. Xie's Equine GI. Don't know why it worked, but he never had diarrhea again...

Comment

I've seen Bio-Sponge do amazing things. I now keep it on hand and at the first sign of loose poo, my guys will get a dose. Could be that there is just a bad in balance.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hopefully I'm responding to everyone...

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                                  As for a tail bag....

Here's what has worked for me, though I'm not a pro at this....
                                  Thanks. I think that's what I've done in the past, but it's worth another try. I'm terrible with braiding which doesn't help. The one issue I have is that the tail bag gets heavy/filled with poop and the weight pulls it off. Usually in less than a day.

Originally posted by goodpony View Post
                                  I have tried just about everything on my daughters aged pony (except metronidazole)---what has helped the most was treating extensively for sand, deworming and switching him to a complete feed designed for seniors (taking him off hay completely- He has access to year round pasture). The biggest change came with removing long stem forage (hay) and switching to the senior. His D is very manageable now an (going from the nasty tail/constant squirts to soft formed)--he is a Senior though (late twenties in otherwise excellent health).
                                  She's typically on pasture in the summer w/o hay and her manure is actually more liquidy than it is now. That said, the consistency in the summer is so loose/liquidy that her tail is actually better. She's not a senior though. Just 12/13.

Originally posted by CatPS View Post
                                  I like the slinky-material tail bags that you actually braid in, personally, because they do start at the base of the dock... not sure how much that would help you in this particular case, though. If the poo soaks through, I can see how they would just make a bigger mess Maybe you could start french braiding above the dock and tie the bag in up that high so that it covers the tail starting at the bottom of the dock???
                                  That's the other part of the problem. The slinky material bags get soaked/filled with poop. Then I have to wash them by hand before they'll see the inside of my washing machine... Then there is still tail washing to do as well.

Originally posted by Meadow36 View Post
                                  Have you tried Saccharomyces boullardi?
                                  This I haven't. I'll google it today, but can you tell me more?

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
                                  Bio-sponge, psyllium and a really good probiotic would be how I would approach.

And I'd vet wrap the tail up like arab people do.
                                  Bio-sponge, as wonderful as it is, does nothing. Haven't had any luck with psyllium or any of the probiotics I've tried.

My vets keep telling me not to worry about it. And most of the year I agree. But they're not the ones dealing with the poop and the frozen poopcicle tail in the winter! Temperatures below freezing last night and her tail is a frozen poopy mess!

I'm thinking I'll give the vet wrap a try and see how that works. I'm sure I've tried it in the past, but in conjunction with a tail bag. I'll see what vet wrap alone does.

Originally posted by candico View Post
                                  I had one who we tried everything and then everything again including bio sponge, all sorts of pro, prebiotics, feeds, etc. What worked was Dr. Xie's Equine GI. Don't know why it worked, but he never had diarrhea again...
                                  Hmm... What is this stuff?

Comment

We had problem with diarrhea for two years, trying everything! Certain time of the year, or a particular product, or taking new advice would appear like the problem was solved but it was always temporary. Finally, tho (and I should knock on wood) and for almost a year, we have wonderful poop. What we did was switch off hay entirely and began feeding speedi-beet mixed with Triple Crown feed and Timothy pellets. We feed 3 - 4 times a day depending on the pony's workload. A friend at a neighboring barn feeds her horse a similar diet and for the same reason and it's worked well for her, too. Both her horse and our pony graze in pasture w grazing muzzles. Hope this helps.

Comment

I also had diarrhea with my older gelding for several years. I don't have the problem now that he is on smartpak Omega 3 and TLC anti-inflamatory. The supplements have pre-biotics and no more diarrhea and a lovely coat. He is also getting timothy pellets with his rice barn.

I do agree with twhs in that the hay is often the problem, I cannot feed my older guy alfalfa so he gets grass hay which is part of the problem. However, we are doing very well right now and no more hind end washing every day... so I am hopefull.
                                      Last edited by stolen virtue; Dec. 23, 2012, 04:43 PM.

Comment

S. boullardii is a probiotic that has been proven in horses to be useful for colitis in hospital settings. Mostly used for acute colitis (like associated with antibiotics, stress or colic); but I know a lot of vets prescribing it for chronic cases with good success. It certainly couldn't hurt and it's not that expensive (about $1/day for the Swanson product).

You can buy it at a store like GMC, or I get it online from Swanson. 3 capsules twice a day (the Swanson ones easily twist apart and you can sprinkle it on the feed).

Comment

Working...
                                        X