• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help With Rain Rot. Have Tried Everything!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post
    FWIW, most every horse in have ever cared for has been more prone to rain rot when they're on diets high in corn and/or molasses.
    It's been shown that high sugar diets can easily cause a B1 deficiency, and who knows what else. So yep, that makes perfect sense in that you're creating a nutritional deficiency.

Originally posted by AliCat518 View Post
    Texarkana, my horses were on 24/7 turnout 150 acres of grass, zero grain. Just grass and water. My gelding developed terrible rainrot. I had to body clip he was so bad. Now, he's fed grain and it hasn't come back
    While horses were designed to live on just forage and water, that does not remotely mean they are optimally healthy on that diet. "Grain" provides nutrition that could well have been lacking in his forage

Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post
    When we lived in Seattle it rained alot.

I just don't think it IS the rain. It is the fungus/bacteria that is on the horse's skin. It has to be treated more than one time. If the horse goes and rolls in the same spot or somebody brushes the horse with the same infected brush, it starts all over again.
    You're right, it's not just rain, or every horse would get it.

It's also not just the bacteria, or every horse would get it, as it's just everywhere in the soil. So it's also not about sharing brushes or blankets, though certainly you don't want to be concentrating the bacteria

Rain rot can't go away fast. It has to be long and drawn out and a huge hassle. It is like scratches, abscesses, etc. Just nothing is easy and one day all gone thing. You have to treat it each day until it goes away. Rainrot is a PITA. Each horse is different on how long it takes. I have had three horses now get it, and it did spread to another one's legs (brushes - grrrrrrrr).

Really interesting on the corn molasses thing.
    It doesn't have to be a long drawn out process. The 1 case of my then yearling was literally gone in a few days - scabs gone after treatment with the Miracle Mist I mentioned, and it just took the additional time for the hair to grown back where the scabs had been.

Brushes did not at all spread the rain rot to the horse's legs. The bacteria that caused the first rr was in the soil, and the horse who ended up with scratches was also exposed to the bacteria regardless of the brushes. It *could* be that the brush directly deposited extra bacteria to the point the horse was compromised, but he would have been compromised on his own.

Comment

• Original Poster

She gets 6 pounds of Senior a day, 1 1/2 pounds of rice bran pellets, and 1 1/2 pounds alfalfa pellets. Along with free choice hay. How can I tell if I need to up copper or zinc levels? Bloodwork or should it be on the feed tags?
      "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

Comment

Jamie, I use the online FeedXL program to get a "guesstimate". I know that it is now available for US customers (I'm in Aus, where the program originated).

Highly, highly recommended. Best $30 I spend all year.

Comment

One of mine had a small case of rain rot and I nipped in in the bud with one shampooing with Head N Shoulders. I know I was lucky because when I was at the vet's the other day with my dog who has frequent ear fungus problems, she recommended weekly baths with an antifungal shampoo in addition to other treatments. I asked her about Head N Shoulders (because the coal tars kill some bugs) and she said that for some types of infections/infestations Head N Shoulders was very effective, but not for what my dog had. So basically, I must have been lucky that my horse had an organism which was susceptible to a dandruff shampoo.

So the short of it is that you might want to have a vet test a sample of what your horse has so that you can be treating it properly. For instance, some people have reported that rain rot was resolved with a dose of worming medication, others with topicals or shampoos. What if it is an allergy? Allergies are often treated with steroids, internally or with steroid-based unguents. A bacterial infection would need different treatment than a fungus, and there are different yeast and fungal infections which require different treatments.

For me, I would do as you have done and try a few things first, and since nothing is working, it might be time for the vet.
          "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

I have another suggestion. Ask your vet about metabolic problems. For example, low thyroid causes a slower metabolism, therefore slower growth of cells, and more opportunity for skin infections. Slow-to-heal wounds and infections are a typical symptom of low thyroid in other animals.* I don't know much about Cushing's Disease, except that older horses don't shed out. Perhaps that could have a relationship with skin problems.

*Some articles suggest that low thyroid in horses is usually the result of other metabolic problems. Whatever the case, it's something to ask the vet.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/280...roidism-puzzle

http://www.horse-journal.com/horse-j...terinary-help/
            "Random capitAlization really Makes my day." -- AndNirina

Comment

Rain rot is caused by a bacteria-like (but not really a bacteria) bug in the soil. When a horse rolls in the soil, the bug gets on it. When it rains and is humid, and if the horse has a lowered immune system, then the rain rot occurs. We've seen it on other horses. And when our owner had an old horse, that horse got it. Our owner is neurotic so she started treatment of the horse as soon as a few tuffs of hair were seen. Listerine cured it. Dermagard is OK but Listerine is faster and cheaper.

So old age, lowered immune system, and what's in the soil are all factors. Our owner had moved one of us and her old horse to a new barn, where those bugs were in the soil. She then used Listerine as a preventative. Once all moved away from that barn, no more rain rot. And we're in a hot and humid climate.

We'll have our owner call her vet tomorrow and ask what antibiotics and topical would be good for a horse with very resistant rain rot, and very advanced rain rot.

Comment

My thin-skinned TB had a terrible case of rainrot the first summer he arrived...I put him on SmartPak's Daily Omegas Plus and treated the rainrot with doxy (simultaneous with Lyme's, so not specific to rainrot). But, it cleared up, he's out in all kinds of weather (e.g., wet often) and a year and a half later, it has never come back. FWIW....

Comment

BioShield Wound Treatment

A little pricey but IMO a must to have in the barn. 99% effective on bacteria and fungus and also helps the immune system, accelerating the wound healing. They make a skin treatment also but for a couple of bucks more the wound treatment is more concentrated. I've seen remarkable results using this product. You can google for more info. (Rood & Riddle is using it too.)

Comment

My horse, age 17 now, has been afflicted with RR periodically since I purchased him as a 2 year old. His seems to be triggered by shedding, both Spring and Fall. He is on forage diet only, is given Omega Sunshine(flax) and vitamin/mineral supplement. Thankfully MTG takes care of the problem if caught early and applied frequently. Some horses are just more susceptible. My 27 year old mare has never had it in her life. Vets caution that it can be spread by grooming tools but I have never seen this occur. I know you have tried many things, but ask your vet about penicillin injections if it continues or is spreading.

Comment

How do you know if you need to add copper? You try adding some (with some zinc for balance) and see if your issues go away

You can't really test blood for it - you'd have really big issues I think if you found deficient levels there.

The problem with recommended amounts is that's a recommendation based on horses as a population and doesn't take into account individual needs.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteyPie View Post
                        I have another suggestion. Ask your vet about metabolic problems. For example, low thyroid causes a slower metabolism, therefore slower growth of cells, and more opportunity for skin infections. Slow-to-heal wounds and infections are a typical symptom of low thyroid in other animals.* I don't know much about Cushing's Disease, except that older horses don't shed out. Perhaps that could have a relationship with skin problems.

*Some articles suggest that low thyroid in horses is usually the result of other metabolic problems. Whatever the case, it's something to ask the vet.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/280...roidism-puzzle

http://www.horse-journal.com/horse-j...terinary-help/
                        I hate to be the one always blaming Cushings on everything under the sun, but your horse is the right age to have it. Cushings horses are prone to all sorts of skin ickies and immune problems.

Comment

How about Vetricyn? That stuff clears up a lot of things, and it probably wouldn't hurt your mare even if it didn't do anything for the rainrot. You should call your vet if nothing has worked so far. I also agree that flax is a great supplement for skin problems.

Comment

I have a 17yo who got RR last winter and ever since then I've been treating a tiny dime sized spot of it in various locations. So I treat and is gone in a couple days. But then in a little time another spot will pop up. Occasionally it will flare up and there will be @ 12 different small areas of RR on his body (back, rear, hind legs) So clearly I'm chasing it around and need to get to the root of the problem.

I bathe the area with a Novalsan like shampoo with Chlorhexadine then allow to totally dry and apply Equiderma... in the process the scabs get massaged off.(Equiderma also has Chlorhexadine in it) Usually it's gone in 2 days and healing well, sometimes it takes a week if I'm not able to get to the barn every day.

But with suppliments to boost the immune system there are loads of stuff out there... where do I even start?

Comment

Flax seed

I have one mare who gets rain rot and a pony who gets scratches. I feed both of them about 1 cup of ground flax seed per day, and no longer have a problem with this. They will occasionally get small patches after a good downpour, but nothing that requires intensive treatment. The ground flax has a good Omega 3/6 balance and it's very cheap to feed.

Comment

Equiderma
                                "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
                                as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Comment

Just to clear up some misunderstanding about what causes rain rot. It is caused by Dermatophilus Congolensis, a gram (+) filamentous bacteria. People used to think it was a fungus, but it is not.

Like other have said, a horse with a healthy immune system should be able to fight it off no problem.

I agree that the diet may need to be looked at at this point since it sounds like you have tried everything else.
                                  I love cats, I love every single cat....
                                  So anyway I am a cat lover
                                  And I love to run.

Comment

Agree with those who say look at the whole picture - feed, and environment. Is your mare stressed this year - new pasturemates, different routines, something else? My horses seem to cycle through the rainrot and scratches years, where the one who's had a tough time for some reason is the one who gets the skin stuff. This year I decided to be proactive and put them all on flax back in September, thinking maybe I'd ward off the fall skin stuff - and we've had such a dry fall that nobody's had anything in our area. Go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by magicteetango View Post
                                      Equiderma. My mare's back was COVERED under her blanket, which was odd and horrible to treat. Nothing worked until I used Equiderma lotion, it cleared up in just a few days and the hair started growing back right away. Love it.
                                      That stuff actually made my geldings 'rain rot from hell' last winter worse . I wound up using Bannix which cleared it up nicely.
                                      "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
                                      -fry & laurie

Comment

The fact that your horse is 24 years old and growing hair back at such a fast rate to begin with...I would have the horse tested for Cushings. Horses with cushings tend to have more skin trouble than others, including rain rot.

Test for cushings.
                                        "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Adding: Since my horses have been on flax daily, 1 cup, they have had no skin problems that they had prior to the flax (scratches for one) and my mare's cannon keratosis has significantly reduced since being on the flax.
                                          "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Working...
                                          X