• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do you treat ringworm?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you treat ringworm?

I noticed yesterday my horse had a few pimples throughout her body, and on her pasterns.

Today it seemed more like ringworm.

I think everybody I know has a different way to treat it. How's yours?
    www.facebook.com/lusitanos4sale

Ringworm does not look like pimples, and typically shows up on the neck and thorax as small, focal areas of hair loss, potentially with some crusting/scabbing.

The best way to treat ringworm is to go to CVS and buy a buttload of Monistat. Attempt not to make eye contact with anyone as you are carrying said Monistat to the counter, hope to GOD you don't run into anyone you know, pay with cash, and run out of the store and straight to the barn as fast as possible. Hide your stash in the trunk, and hope you don't get pulled over on the way!

You'd also need to thoroughly clean everything that has touched your horse with a dilute bleach mixture, or a dilute betadine mixture or a dilute chlorhexidine mixture (brushes, tack, saddle pads, wraps, water buckets, food buckets, stall walls, grooming areas etc). It is quite communicable and can spread from horse to horse very quickly.

Comment

Lyme sulfur dip. Stinks, but cheap and effective.

Comment

I've always treated it with an application or two of strong iodine spray...and it's gone.
        www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
        Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Scrub area with nolvasan/shave if needed. Apply Tinactin or similar antifungal for 10-14 days.

If it really is ringworm, that's probably your best bet. But more than likely you've got rain rot going on and might want to add in a triple abc to the mix.
          A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Diluted chlorox. WWAAAHYYYY cheaper than anti-fungals and works with the first application.
            Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Comment

Out of curiosity for the iodine/chlorox users...if a one stop useage worked....really worked...then why would they have actual drugs for these things?

I think it's kind of irresponsible to recommend treatments with stuff that isn't at all designed to treat and then to further say it's a one stop fits all.

I mean, bleach can kill lots of stuff, sure. So can some iodine. BUt really, neither are proven at all to treat a fungus or bacteria long term.
              A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                Out of curiosity for the iodine/chlorox users...if a one stop useage worked....really worked...then why would they have actual drugs for these things?

I think it's kind of irresponsible to recommend treatments with stuff that isn't at all designed to treat and then to further say it's a one stop fits all.

I mean, bleach can kill lots of stuff, sure. So can some iodine. BUt really, neither are proven at all to treat a fungus or bacteria long term.

Ringworm sticks around for a while, and needs to be treated until AFTER it's gone, to make sure that it's gone, so you're right on that one! Treating just once will kill some of the fungus, and leave others, thus promoting resistance. So, you really need to treat for a while - until all the lesions are gone and hair begins to grow back again. It's also preferred to treat with a specific drug, i.e. an antifungal for ringworm (Monistat, which I suggested earlier, works great).

Chlorhex, iodine and bleach all work well killing most bacteria, some fungus and a variety of other pathogens. They work great for killing stuff with prolonged contact (why we suggest cleaning the INANIMATE objects with this, like soaking your brushes in a bucket of dilute betadine, because it needs prolonged contact time to work). However, using these on the animal can also promote resistance by killing indiscriminately. In the areas where chlorhex or iodine are applied, not only will the ringworm fungus be affected, all the normal commensal bacteria of the skin will as well. This can promote the potential development of bacterial resistance, which is why we recommend specific drugs for specific therapies.

However, bacterial infections like Staph and Dermatophilus on the skin respond really well to washing and treatment with chlorhex and iodine, and they work really well to kill the bacteria and stop the infection. I'm not sure what you mean by "neither are proven at all to treat a fungus or bacteria long term," because they absolutely are. You just have to pick the right man for the job.

OP: Figure out what your horse has on it's skin (vet is best). For ringworm, best treatment is a topical antifungal (Monistat), applied once or twice a day until the lesions get better and hair begins to re-grow in the affected areas.

Comment

Based on my one super annoying experience with ringworm in a horse, the truth is somewhere between your position and what others are saying.

Ringworm itself can be knocked out with a pretty wide range of anti-fungals, including the hardcore stuff like bleach or Nolvasan, a povidone iodine lathering shampoo, other anti-fungals sold in drug stores like clotrimazole or miconazole cream, etc. Ringworm spores, however, are a total b*tch to kill--and once they go airborne, your horse and everything around your horse is a ringworm target. Pretty much the only thing that reliably kills ringworm spores is a 1:10 bleach-to-water solution. You can kill some of the spores with Nolvasan/chlorhexidine but it's not nearly as effective as bleach and leaves some spores behind.

So assuming you've got a case of ringworm that's mature enough to give off spores, you need a three-pronged defense: something that kills ringworm on contact, something that will at least contain the spores/keep them from going airborne/deprive them of oxygen if possible so they're less likely to mature into ringworm, and ideally something to actually kill the spores. So for example, my horse had ringworm on his muzzle where I wasn't willing to put bleach. I used a chlorhexidine solution applied with a paper towel (so it could be easily thrown away), then covered the area with miconazole cream.
                  Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Marshfield View Post
                    Lyme sulfur dip. Stinks, but cheap and effective.
                    This. And atheletes foot cream too. Stinky. And cats love to be dipped in it (not) but it works.
                    ~Veronica
                    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

One part Monistat, one part Vagisil, one part Lotramin, one part Desitin. Incredibly embarrassing to purchase, but works great.

Comment

You've never heard of "Free Enterprise"??? Home remedies have worked for ages. Put a fancy label and a few more additives and it becomes a money maker for some pharmacedical firm!!! Not saying the expensive stuff doesn't work...just sharing MY experiences. And I do keep treating until all symptoms disappear. The iodine just works fast. I've got a good cure for scratches, too, but we won't go there.
                        www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                        Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Lotrimin cream. But other products work fine as well. The body will typically gain the upper hand eventually and knock it out treatment or no. Treatment just prevents the horse from looking like hell in the meantime.

Chlorine bleach is great for disinfecting a lot of things and is my "go to" product for thrush. But I don't care to put it on or near a horse's face, eyes, or any areas that might be irritated, even if it's dilute. Or on a kid. That, and not any sort of Big Pharma conspiracy, is why there are gentle, safe, effective medications -- so we can minimize exposure to chemicals that are more noxious.
                          Click here before you buy.

Comment

What jn4jenny said. For many years I used a lamisil, desitin, monistat (or neosporin depending) combo, but then one of my good friends in rescue clued me in to the diluted bleach idea. I absolutely agree about not using it on delicate skin (mucus membranes, face, etc), but for not-so-delicate areas, it works great. And occasionally it might take a couple of applications, but not often--especially if you can let it soak in/scrub in for a few seconds.
                            Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Comment

I like using the lotramin ultra spray! Convient and easy and you don't have to touch it. I have personally used full strength bleach on myself when I had this one ringworm spot that would not go away after weeks of treatment. It worked like a dream, but I think going with the other stuff first is the way to go.
                              I love cats, I love every single cat....
                              So anyway I am a cat lover
                              And I love to run.

Comment

None of my critters have ever had ringworm, but I've gotten a couple of spots on me a time or two. Never did figure out where I got it from, especially since I have a pretty tough immune system. Monostat worked like a charm.

Comment

Working...
                                X