• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse won't trot...is he lame?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Sorry for the multiple posts. I keep thinking of new questions. If it is pssm would the bute test have any effect? If tomorrow when he is worked after all that bute, if he is obviously better would that rule out pssm?

Comment

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that any descendent of Impressive could possibly be HYPP+, but I'm sure other QH people here will correct me.

But my primary reason for asking if he's an Impressive descendent is because I know they're a tweaky lot.. I speak from experience. And, though the EPSM diet will help the horses affected by HYPP to a degree, it's also beneficial to many horses. Mine's HYPP/NN but has benefitted from higher fat, lower carb/ NSAID diet. As an aside, I had a HUGE problem with canter on my horse for the first 4 yrs I owned him. Seven trainers did as well. Maturity, low carb/ hi fat diet, who-knows-what finally got this horse to where he's more cooperative at canter, but he defied logic before the diet change.

I'm taking a huge leap thinking your colt would benefit as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sansena View Post
        It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that any descendent of Impressive could possibly be HYPP+, but I'm sure other QH people here will correct me.

But my primary reason for asking if he's an Impressive descendent is because I know they're a tweaky lot.. I speak from experience. And, though the EPSM diet will help the horses affected by HYPP to a degree, it's also beneficial to many horses. Mine's HYPP/NN but has benefitted from higher fat, lower carb/ NSAID diet. As an aside, I had a HUGE problem with canter on my horse for the first 4 yrs I owned him. Seven trainers did as well. Maturity, low carb/ hi fat diet, who-knows-what finally got this horse to where he's more cooperative at canter, but he defied logic before the diet change.

I'm taking a huge leap thinking your colt would benefit as well.
        Not a QH person, but a genetics geek:

The HYPP allele is passed sire-get or dam-foal. Its not a random mutation (just the passed on copy of the original mutation)

So if I crossed Impressive-bred HYPP N/N with an HYPP NN horse, they could NOT produce an N/H or H/H foal. Period.

Goes like so:
        HH + NN = 100% NH offspring
        HH + NH = 50% NH 50% HH
        NN + NH = 50%NN 50% NH
        NH + NH = 50% NH 25%NN 25%HH

Which is why breeders will breed NH horses, because they MIGHT get a normal foal, or they might not. Which is why those who want HYPP gone for good want all NH and HH horses unregisterable, and there foals unregisterable as well. Bang, HYPP QHs gone in 1 generation.

Comment

I would try putting him on the PSSM/EPSM diet and see what happens.
          Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
          Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
          "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

• Original Poster

Update: the bute test had no effect. The trainer said he moved the same today as he always did. So I guess it isn't really a pain thing?

I think I'm going to just go pick him up and bring him home. There are so many pssm diets out there. Any suggestions? How quickly do you change his diet? I have no choice but to put him on the pasture for right now. Is that bad? Seems stalling would be worse?

Comment

Do a search on here for PSSM and check out Dr. Valentines rural heritage website to start.

I'm sure keeping him out and moving will help.

Jingles for your boy! Good luck!
              Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
              Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
              "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

Is there any chance at all that the horse is confused and just thinks he is supposed to be cantering?

I would certainly investigate the EPSM/PSSM angle thoroughly, but I think it would be terribly interesting to use clicker training to teach the horse that you WANT him to trot. Horses get so *engaged* in learning with clicker training--the few I have played around with really start thinking about what you want and offering behaviors--that perhaps it would be an interesting way to reinforce the few trot steps you're able to get.

Comment

If it is something muscle-related, you would probably have more success in using a course of robaxin instead of bute.

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess it's possible he just doesn't understand or prefers not to trot. I wish he could just tell me. I'm going to keep working him at home. Maybe lunging over poles on the ground would encourage a trot? Gosh, I'd love it if that's all this turns out to be.

I'm going to send off the hair samples too. And maybe have another trainer evaluate him. And change his diet in the mean time. Who knows?!? I'm not too familiar with clicker training for horses, but it sure works with dogs so I'm certainly willing.

Comment

My first thought is slipping stifles as well. I have a very smart gelding who had the whole..how to not have my stifles slip..totally figured out. Every once in a while he would swing a hind leg. The other reason is his age. He is in that age where there is alot of change happening...angle closing and opening as he grows behind. The other idea is cavalettis...with the reward. I picture him jumping the cavalettis but once he gets the idea...trotting through the cavalettis... and gets the reward he will know what you want though I would imagine you would have detected frustration with trying to figure out what is wanted. Personally I would decide it is a maturity issue and turn him out for a year. Lots of young horses just are not ready to work yet at his age. Good luck.

Comment

Oh the slipping stifles gelding has grown out of the problem and is now in training as a 4 yo with no problems.

Comment

Despite the common wisdom(SIC) in the QH world, it absolutely does no harm to a horse to just let it be a horse and forgo all training except maintaining ground manners (which ought to be established before weaning) until it is more than three years past its foaling date.

Comment

• Original Poster

Update: horse is negative for pssm 1

I've been working him lightly in the round pen and can get him to trot now. But it isn't pretty by any means. Hoping it will slowly get better!!

Comment

one shouldnt be doing small circles on baby neddies, you must go large
                              as small circles puts strians and stresses on undeveloped legs and mussles

go large- and find a dressage trianer or driving trianer to show you how to long rein- the horse is 2 1/2yrs old do not run before one can walk

Comment

OP--Reread Tom Bloomer and goeslikestink's posts. And then reread again. And again. You have a quirky horse already. Lots of round pen work in an already potentially lame-ish horse who's also a youngster is a really bad plan if you want long-term soundness. I absolutely positively don't mean to be a cranky snot, but if it were my horse, I'd lay off ALL training until I either had 1) a diagnosis or 2) 6 months of quality time with Dr. Green...aka pasture rest.
                                Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Comment

If you got a chance would be very interested in seeing a video of your horse trotting.

Comment

While I don't think working a two year old horse lightly in the round pen once in a while is going to do damage, I agree that given this horse's issues, it would be best to kick him out into a field for several months to let him grow and sort through all of his changing body parts.

Babies do weird shit sometimes as they grow and feel out their own bodies. It's as likely as anything else at this point that your horse just hasn't figured out his parts yet as they have grown and changed and just needs time to be a baby horse and work it all out in his head.

FWIW, I have a two year old now. She'll be three in March. You know what she's doing? Not a damned thing. She's out with the herd, on acreage. She's not been backed. I bring her in and groom her and work on basics like trailer loading and general manners. She has been in the round pen a few times to begin to learn voice commands. Sometime late next summer I'll sit on her a little bit and then kick her back out until early summer of her four year old year, at which point she'll be brought in and start into a real program.

CAN a 2 year old be in a full program? Sure, sometimes. Some even manage to stay sound, even when they're started that young, although many have problems. But there's obviously something weird going on with yours, and I would just give him some time to be a baby since you've not been able to really ID something *wrong* just yet...

Comment

• Original Poster

It's very light work he has been under. 10 minutes or so per day with 2 days off per week. And that's only been the past 3 weeks. I agree though. Best thing might be to turn him back out for 6 months.

I can't upload videos to YouTube from work but I could email them. I'll try to upload from home later

Comment

Originally posted by mrg8302 View Post
                                        Update: horse is negative for pssm 1

I've been working him lightly in the round pen and can get him to trot now. But it isn't pretty by any means. Hoping it will slowly get better!!
                                        If he is 2 1/2 years old and already 15.3 and 1100 pounds he may be big and uncoordinated. Halter horses can be kind of odd, like a body builder just meant to stand there and look, well muscled. Is he overly big and muscled? Does he have good sized feet to support himself or are they tiny compared to the rest of him?

Comment

• Original Poster

This is him. He is a big guy. A little fat. He has nice hooves. Not too small for his body

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...104299BE6B.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                          X