• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Herbal remedies for cough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbal remedies for cough

I have a 10 year old mare that has a consistent, exercise induced cough. No fever, no discharge, no obstructions. She has been seen by 2 different vets, both coming to the conclusion that she's most likely has an allergy to mold/pollen. There is no sign of infection. She very rarely coughs with the exception of work. She can go for 5-10 minutes working with no cough and then will at times have a strong coughing fit about 15 minutes into working. It generally passes after about 5 minutes or so. Sometimes will reoccur after a walk break and going back to work. I have tried Cough Free and it seemed to help some, but not completely. I'm hosing her bedding down as well as her hay to decrease her exposure to dust. She does get about 10 hours of turnout per day. What other herbs are helpful for such a case? She was on spirulina in the past and it didn't seem to help much. I don't want to put her on strong medications if it's not needed, which at this point I don't think it's bad enough to warrant that, but I would like to give her some kind of support.

Any herbal product that is effective is effective because it is "strong". You can have efficacy or you can have "not a strong medication" but it's very difficult to have both, whether you choose herbal or not.

It is dangerous and incorrect to consider herbal products "like medication, only safer". They are not only potentially laden with the same side effects as "regular" drugs (especially if you choose one that actually does something) but are largely unregulated and not consistent in their strength.

How about doubling her turnout? NO side effects, 100% natural!
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

deltawave - I respectfully disagree. But thank you for sharing your opinion.

Doubling turnout is not helpful and has been tried. She used to be out 24-7 with the same issues presenting. But good thought.

Comment

Hay steamer?
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hadn't considered a hay steamer. I will check into that. Thank you!

I have, however, tried wetting down her hay which is minimally helpful.

Comment

What are you bedding the horse on?

Comment

• Original Poster

Currently, her stall is bedded with pine shavings. I'm considering another source, but I'm not sure what's available in my area or what will be acceptable to use at the barn. I lease the barn and do need to be considerate of the barn owner's wishes.

Comment

Suggest you try cob bedding. Becks Better Bedding is very dust free and easy to clean. Be advised some horses eat it like popcorn (that would be my hog Dan)

In addition to that I think if allergy related better to remedy the allergies...not the cough. Suggest you research higher doses of antioxidants. Specifically vit A,E, Ester C, and MSM. They sometimes help milder allergies.

Comment

I have had good luck with Smartpak Breathe Pellets.

Worked better for my horse than the perscription drugs given by the vet. I keep him on the supplement all year long.
                  "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

Comment

Oh I forgot to add Omega 3 to the list too. Improves coat/skin health and keeps the itchies away. I have a friend or two that seem to feel it aids their horses allergies.

Comment

I'm guessing what you mean by trying to avoid strong medications you are talking about steroids and such?

Have you looked at some of the Omega Alpha Equine products? They have four possible products for coughs. The one I like using when needed is the Respi-Free Breathing formula. It's a 3 -in- one formula combining the other three cough products Airwaves, Lung Flush and Herba Coff. Some of the ingredients in the Respi-Free include bronchodilators, expectorants and a natural anti-histamine (nettles).

Just a suggestion.

Comment

• Original Poster

D Taylor - Thank you for the cob bedding suggestion. I think I have heard of it many moons ago, but have not looked into it. I will do that! I don't think I'll have too much trouble with her eating it, she's not a very food motivated girl. Also, re. the antioxidants and Omega 3. She is on Horse Techs Fuel vitamin, mineral, prebiotic, probiotic, also contains yeast, chia, flax seed and a variety of other things. In addition, I do feed an extra 1/4 cup fresh ground flax twice per day.

Pippigirl - Yes, you are right. I don't want to put her on steroids (I have had to use them personally in the past) and I don't really feel she's in distress to the point of needing them. Should the day come when she's in trouble and does need something of the sort I will not withhold them from her. At this point, you are exactly right, I'm looking for supportive options to address the allergic reactions to reduce the cough. I know the cough is a symptom, not the root of the issue. Thank you for the products you've listed. I will check them out.

Risky Business - I have also heard good things about SmartPak's Breathe products. I may just try that one.

I'm specifically looking for these kinds of suggestions so that I can research the options available and make the best decision for her.

Thank you all so much for chiming in!

Comment

MY horse does the same thing. Mostly when he starts to canter. He has for years. It is not seasonal at all. I have him on Smartbreathe. The coughing is not completely gone, but much better.
                          Rest in peace Claudius, we will miss you.

Comment

How about an antihistimine? Not as many risks of side effects (I think) and you can even buy it without prescription. I had my mare on Anihist and it helped some.

What did help my girl the most was a nose net. Looks dorky, but works well.
                            Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

I think I might want to find out more specifically what she is allergic to, in the hopes that it might be something I could attempt to minimize or eliminate in her life.

Comment

Cough Free, I've had luck w/ that!
                                Royal Guardian- aka "Gabe"

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, we know that mold spores are one of her triggers, and living in FL where it's warm, humid, and moist most of the year makes for a very difficult environment in eliminating exposure. She has the issue year round, though some days less, some days more.

Comment

Same issue with my horse

My horse also suffered from exercised induced airway obstruction caused by allergies. We live in the midwest so his was seasonal. And I understand not wanting to go the steroid route....I did that for two show seasons in order to control it enough for showing. I also did the turnout, steamed hay, special bedding (shredded paper) etc, etc, etc. All helped but did not alleviate his condition.

After the second year I worked with a wholistic DVM who also had extensive training in Chinese medicine. I didn't go into it believing that herbal medicine would help that much but I am now a total believer. As one poster said, herbs are not neccesarily safer so I highly recommend working with a DVM who knows what they are doing. And if your horse is like mine was, the over the counter supplements will not help that much.

My boy was on several herbal medicines for two years and we also moved him to a more wholistic diet removing processed grains. Two years later we do not have to use anything now as the wholistic, herbal treatment alleviated the issue. just a whole grain diet. he is back on pine shavings, regular hay but does have a run off his stall so he is out most of the time.

So I would highly recommend working with an expert in Chinese medicine and trying the herbal route. It made all the difference in my boy's quality of life.

as a side note, he is also allergic to the silicone coating on needles so we had to research and find non-silicone needles. Otherwise he gets a huge welt at the injection site.

good luck
                                    m

Comment

Originally posted by D Taylor View Post
                                      Suggest you try cob bedding. Becks Better Bedding is very dust free and easy to clean. Be advised some horses eat it like popcorn
                                      Have to issue a PSA & Caveat:
                                      I had a horse develop RAD about 6 months after I started using corn cob bedding - oddly enough it was Beck's brand.
                                      After stripping his stall and rebedding with shavings plus 6mo on Clenbuterol (Ventipulmin) his symptoms disappeared.
                                      My vet listening to his lungs said if he hadn't heard the rales previously, he never would have guessed this horse had symptoms.

My other horse never had a problem with the cob bedding, but Better Safe, right?
                                      Neither one ever showed an interest in eating it.
                                      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Medication of ANY sort is not better than removing the source.

Do you have round bales outside? If you do, nothing you do to the hay inside or the bedding will make a lick of difference.

Comment

Working...
                                        X