• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Kinesiology tape for stifles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinesiology tape for stifles?

A friend of mine reported seeing Grand Prix jumping horses using this therapeutic tape across their stifles. Same as the volleyball players in the Olympics...
    Just wondering if anyone has more information on how and why it is used and how it sticks?!

My hubby and I both use that stuff and we love it. I'd LOVE to know how it works on stifles. Bump!
    Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Comment

How it is used: by applying to the skin over an area where an athlete perceives they have or actually has a problem.

Why it is used: theoretically to slightly alter the proprioception (or awareness) of the area, and possibly by applying some tension to the skin altering the motion of the muscles underneath.

Now whether this is actually beneficial or just "feels different" is highly debatable.

It is certainly trendy. A manufacturer (maybe more than one) donated thousands of boxes to the Olympic teams of several countries either in 2004 or 2008, so you started to see it "front and center" almost right away among athletes who would probably try anything legal to give them a little boost. And in front of hundreds of TV cameras--a wonderful investment on the part of the tape company!

It's sort of like wearing an elastic sleeve over a sore knee--the sleeve does virtually nothing, but it feels slightly different to wear the thing and that may impact the way one uses the joint and sometimes "different" is interpreted as "better" as far as perception of pain goes.

Whether horses are subject to this level of discernment is debatable. They certainly don't buy into product endorsements. But their owners certainly do!
      Click here before you buy.

Comment

I believe proprioception is a concept that works for horses--I have a Very Big Horse who tends to be dumb and almost trippy about his hind legs who moves much better with boots on behind.

(We think he may be closely related to a dinasour--takes a long time for the brain signals to get all the way back there )

So it would be an interesting experiment to see whether the K-tape makes a difference...

Comment

I'm into road cycling and have messed up knees. I've done a lot of taping and can't say that I can tell much of a difference in terms of my knee pain.

However, when I've used it on my IT band after I / my PT have worked to break up the fascia, the areas that have been taped show no bruising whereas areas that haven't been taped are bruised. If I applied it over a bruise, it is gone much faster than the areas of the bruise that weren't covered by the tape. So it must help blood-flow at least somewhat in people. Whether it would help horses in the same way or be enough to be at all beneficial in horses has yet to be determined as far as I know.

As far as it's sticking ability, it works better on some people than others. At times I'd have to apply a special type of glue after prepping my skin. It sticks better if you are able to keep the area / tape warm after applying it (rubbing it for a few minutes helps some but I would often wear a stretchy knee sock thing and leave it on for a little while especially if it was cold / wintertime).

I've heard of it being used on horses. I'd be weary of really trying it with horses because as with wrapping legs, it must be done correctly. My PT had done a lot of continuing education to become certified. None of the other PTs at that place would mess with the taping themselves.

Further, it's about $9-12 a role. I would only get maybe 3 applications to my knee out of a single role and you'd need much more to do the stifle, shoulder, etc. of a horse.

I'd be curious as to if anyone else knows more about its use in horses and if any real research has been done on the subject yet.
          Originally posted by RugBug
          Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Comment

Also a horse can't really tell you if it's on too tight or if it's making things worse. Until a few days later.

Comment

Also a horse can't really tell you if it's on too tight or if it's making things worse. Until a few days later.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts so far. I'm not sure I can "buy" this one, but like to keep an open mind and at least throw the info in my brain, see how bad it hurts, then go from there...

I did find this website with some pictures.
                http://www.thehorseinmotion.com/id18.html

Comment

Thanks for the link, candico. It'd be interesting to see some actual research done in order to see if it'd be beneficial in lower limb swelling (wind puffs, etc.). Not sure if it'd help blood flow enough in horses but if it'd be good for anything, that's my guess from having used the stuff on myself.
                  Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Comment

How would you theorize that putting tape on the skin impacts blood flow? Things that work do so for a reason that can be understood. I do blood flow for a living and was an athletic trainer for years, and I can't fathom this one.

Comment

Deltawave, I don't really know. All I know is from my personal experiences of using kinesiology tape on myself. The tape was doing something to reduce existing bruising and also prevent new bruising from developing (when I'd apply it after we'd work my IT band / break up fascia).

I don't know where my pictures are but I googled it and found this series of pictures (ironically enough, they're of someone who got this bruise from falling off a horse, haha).

So, while I'm not exactly sure how it works, I got nearly identical results from using the tape to help heal / prevent bruising. Any ideas since you've worked in the field (athletic trainer, etc.)?? And do you think it may do similar things with horses (whether it'd be enough to be helpful or not I know is impossible to say!)?

Comment

If it is repeatedly reducing or preventing bruising, it is almost certainly not doing so by impacting "blood flow". That was my point, not to say it can't possibly have helped anyone.

Maybe by reducing friction (perhaps via changing stride dynamics or making you carry the leg differently) along the IT band (notorious area for friction types of bursitis) it caused less swelling and therefore less tissue trauma? That would be my theory. And for a horse, to imagine something so small could impact stride dynamics would be harder for me to believe. And I'd always be wary of messing with Mother Nature on a creature who can't say "no, that feels worse, it's on there wrong" like a person can.

I used to get IT band pain something awful, and learning to not always run on one side of the road like a dummy was what "cured" it. It was a mechanical intervention. I also had tried 20 different types of shoes, 3 different orthotics, stretching, even leg-wear, any one of which I was ready at one point or another to credit with "working" until I actually DID figure out the cause!

The pictures to me would indicate that the strapping caused superficial bruising to be pushed from one area of the bruise (under the tape) to another (the untaped areas), giving the impression that the taped area was resolving faster when it may equally be that BECAUSE of the tape the UNTAPED areas were resolving slower. A big bruise like that going away in 2 weeks would be fairly normal in a young, healthy person. Blood flow on the "macro" level has almost nothing to do with bruises going away. That is all taken care of by scavenger cells and any sort of basic motion (such as in a hip area) is going to get a bruise gone much quicker than artificially increasing "blood flow", if that were even possible. Or desirable. Turning blood flow up and down is not like dialing a dimmer switch--don't I wish!

Comment

Thanks Deltawave, that makes sense. And I agree in that it seems incredibly unlikely for the taping to do any good when used on horses--and like you said they can't tell us if it's been applied wrong / is making things worse.

Comment

Working...
                          X