• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who has done IRAP instead of routine joint injections?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has done IRAP instead of routine joint injections?

How did you like the results, cost, etc? From what I've read recently about IRAP vets say the affects are longer lasting and there is less risk of a reaction because the serum comes from the treated animal. BUT if I read correctly, it's more expensive and a series of injections, say like once a week for 4 weeks?

Looking for experiences, I'm thinking of asking my vet about it.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I did it... 3 series of injections spaced 2 weeks apart. I'd have to add up all the bills but I think it was around $1800. 11 year old mare with severe osteoarthritis in one hock. My vet said he didn't recommend it for older horses. Our other option was fusing or depo medrol but his opinion was that IRAP would give her the best chance of halting the progress of the arthritis and returning her to soundness. Huge improvement so far but her lameness set on acutely after a slip so I don't know how much of the improvement was due to tincture of time.
    Doubled Expectations (Roxy, 2001 APHA)
    Al Amir (Al, 2005 OTTB)
    Ten Purposes (Rosie, 2009 OTTB)

Comment

I'm not yet ready to give an assessment on the long term benefits, however I just completed a series of IRAP injections on horse's stifle. Background: felt NQR to me in the spring, made vet appt a week or so out. By the time vet arrived, said horse was off on hind leg. During the NQR stage I was thinking hock; when I watched the horse loose in round pen, thought stifle. Blocking and ultrasound showed stifle inflammation, no APPARENT soft tissue damage. Did "regular" injection, put on stall rest for 30 days. Mare was sound. Then discussed IRAP as stage one on ongoing preventive maintenance. Did that about 120 days from original injection - 3 times, 2 weeks apart, 4 days off (2 stall rest, 2 t/o ) then work again. That ended several weeks ago; horse feels fantastic ( back to 4th level/PSG work) First injection w/ steroids, etc was done to see what we had - ultrasound could not see all soft tissue and there was a risk that I had a bigger problem. As rehab progressed, vet proposed this plan - once we determined what we were working with. It is more expensive than "regular" injections - but apparently horses respond quite well and there is overall less risk - my vet says I shouldn't need to redo for sometime longer than 12 months. I would agree w/ above poster re the approx. cost. TIme will tell, but I feel way better about reinjecting horse's blood rather than steroids and other stuff..........
      We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 2tempe View Post
        but I feel way better about reinjecting horse's blood rather than steroids and other stuff..........
        I do too, but wow... the cost is not just a little bit more than steroid injections

Glad to hear the positive results so far. Definitely something to pick my vets brain about.

Comment

I suggest that while you pick your vet's brain, ask how he will mitigate damage form the TNF, Il-6 and other pathways as well as preventing over suppression of inflammation, resulting in even greater damage.

In most human treatments, IL1-ra is also treated with a TNFra but at the same time you need to know which Il-1 and TNF receptor is being targeted.

Also remember that all IRAP does is suppress inflammation but does not regenerate cartilage. In other words it does not stop the disease.

Comment

Have just completed the 2nd injection of 3 to Quinn's hocks. Initially had her hocks done with IRAP in 2009 and the resulting effect was incredible.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
            \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Comment

• Original Poster

RAyers, you're saying that IRAP pretty much does the same thing as steroid injections?

Originally posted by Quinn View Post
              Have just completed the 2nd injection of 3 to Quinn's hocks. Initially had her hocks done with IRAP in 2009 and the resulting effect was incredible.
              You've been able to go 3 years between treatments? If so then the additional cost might be well worth it.

Comment

It just depends on how bad the arthritis is how much luck you have. I knew a big warmblood whom had steroid HA injected into his arthritic pastern. Three weeks no improvement what so ever. A second steroid HA injection was done and then he came sound and stayed sound showing in the hunters for two years after that without re-injecting. IRAP generally lasts longer, I had a single injection of IRAP last six months, but for what ever reason surgeon only did one injection not all three. Cost me $1700 for just the first injection and new radiographs. I have also heard of cases where IRAP was not very effective. I think you just cross your fingers and hope for long lasting results. IRAP would certainly be my first choice over steroid injections in I ever deal with arthritis again down the road.

Best luck!

Comment

My horse has severe arthritis in both front fetlocks and we've used IRAP 3 times. Usually lasts 12-17 months. He is older now and I won't do the IRAP again because what started out at around $1800 is now closer to $3000 total including all injections. I will say that all 3 worked awesome and kept him in the show ring so we were very happy. We never tried joint injections.

Comment

We did IRAP with my gelding when he was almost 20. An earlier poster said their vet had not recommended it for older horses - is that because the vet didnt think it would work? My horse had ringbone in both front fetlocks. The right was worse than the left. He was essentially a trail horse at the time following a long jumping and dressage career. He had become my husbands walking trail horse and was a member of our family. It was painful to watch him move around. He carefully looked where he was going and very carefully placed each front foot down, one at a time. It was painful to watch him. At the time we did the IRAP, I was thinking he shouldnt even be ridden at the walk and I was also thinking that we were approaching a time when he would need to consider putting him down. We did the IRAP over a period of weeks and I have to say, we have never looked back. My horse is 23 now and while he is stiff like an older horse who has had an active life would be, he still tells our other horses in the field what to do. He is clearly the boss. He is fairly sound (for a 23 yr old guy) and we occasionally see him out cantering around the field -- something he would never have done before the IRAP. A few weeks ago, a gate was left open and our 3 horses got out. They were trotting around, tails in the air having a fine time. Andy, my older guy was having the best time of all cantering around, his feet barely touching the ground, head up in the air. As I caught him, I thought "oh no" hes going to be SO stiff. But he never was. You would not even know he had done anything out of the ordinary. Its clearly been a lifesaver for him!

Comment

Originally posted by Linda View Post
                      We did IRAP with my gelding when he was almost 20. An earlier poster said their vet had not recommended it for older horses - is that because the vet didnt think it would work?
                      I'm happy to hear of your positive results!

It was my understanding that my vet believed an older horse would be have much more progressed arthritis that would be more likely to come sound via fusing. Of course the entire conversation was about lower hock joints so he may only have meant it in that context.
                      Last edited by gypsymare; Nov. 16, 2012, 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
                      Doubled Expectations (Roxy, 2001 APHA)
                      Al Amir (Al, 2005 OTTB)
                      Ten Purposes (Rosie, 2009 OTTB)

Comment

I just completed IRAP number two in a series of three on my 17 year old WB show hunter. He has had regular injections in the past but was no longer responding to them. So far I've been very impressed with them as the horse is finally sound!

I've also used it in my 23 year old NZ TB show jumper for a fetlock and a hock. He still responds quite well to regular injections but can sometimes use a little help in between them.

I find it odd that a vet would say that it is not useful in older horses--I don't think you can get much older than mine as far as performance horses are concerned! That being said, neither of mine have any significant arthritis for their age and their hocks are no where near fusing.
                        Originally posted by EquineImagined
                        My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Comment

My horses lower joints are in the process of fusing, the center of the left joint has substantial fusing and the right not far behind. He is Cushings and IR so cannot use any steroids so IRAP was the only alternative. I am amazed at the difference, he is much more comfortable and hopefully it will keep the pain at a level he can tolerate and enable him to continue working so it will help finish fusing.

Comment

Working...
                          X