• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Shipping boots v. shipping wraps!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping boots v. shipping wraps!

I have never used shipping boots...not ever. My old-school British trainer instilled in me from my very first day of riding some 20+ years ago that there are some modern conveniences we just don't use.

Well, in case you haven't noticed, there's a special on shipping boots today on tackoftheday.com. I am more than slightly tempted...

So, tell me your thoughts! Are they safe? Are they convenient? Do they hold up? Would you use them?

I have used shipping boots similar to those (not the same brand, but...) for years. They are easy to put on and stay put well as long as they are snugly fastened. I have never had any issues with them, hauling multiple horses over short and medium distances.
    I have only had good haulers, so I can't speak to a horse that climbs around like a monkey, but...
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

I'm not sure why the horse world takes particular pride in admitting that archaic ways of doing things are to be clung to no matter what.

Boots or bandages . . . you can make high drama out of it if you want to, but basically it comes down to personal preference. And for every person who passionately falls on their sword for one method, there's another who would do the same for the opposite. That's life.

In the end, it's doing something simple to help protect your horse's legs while shipping. Some people don't even bother, and for the most part they have a very decent argument as well! Boots and bandages are hot, some horses object to them to the point of making matters worse, and they don't always stay put.

Everyone has a horror story (myself included) and those stories can include "why I will never use boots", "why I will never use wraps", and "why I always/never ship with naked legs".

In the end, do what suits YOU and your horses. I do all three: boots for most trips (because they're much faster and do a nice job), bandages if a horse might swell on the ride, and naked legs for the 3 mile trip to my trainer's barn, acknowledging that "anything can happen" but comfortable with "it's unlikely on an 8 minute trip with my quiet horses".

All safety decisions float or sink on the surface of our own perception of what is "safe" or "unsafe".

In other words, try the boots if you think you might like them--they're a deal and I am tempted to get some myself!
      Click here before you buy.

Comment

Growing up in Pony Club- I was firmly in the shipping wrap camp. I practiced, and I do them well. However, horsie does not like to walk in them, and when trainer ships my horse- she doesn't know how to do them.

I switched to stable wraps with bell boots, for several years.

Then last year, shipping on a semi to a show, horse kicked the wall and cut the point of his hock open. It wasn't bad, but it was clearly in an area that would have been covered by shipping boots- but was not by wraps.

Now, I use shipping boots on any horse that tolerates them because of the extra coverage.

Comment

Shipping boots! Not the really cheap thin ones though, I like boots that can stand up on their own. You don't even have to tighten them and they stay put. They cover a lot more of the horses leg (from hock to hoof), are faster to put on, and a whole lot less laundry. If I'm wrapping for other reasons (such as poulticing after a show) I still put boots over top.

Disclaimer... this is only for my horse that isn't very good about loading/shipping/unloading. He'll be fine for months, then freak out and try to kill himself. So he ships in 4 bell boots and shipping boots every time. My other horse usually go naked, or if I feel like it I'll put boots on.

Comment

I have spent all afternoon trying to decide if I wanted to buy the TOTD boots. Finally decided that yes, i would go for it. They are sold out. This is what I get for trying to do my research before I commit.

Comment

Tack of the Day rarely has the best deals

Don't despair, I find that Tack of the Day RARELY has the best deals, usually you can find whatever they have on sale for the same price at other retailers who take returns, and charge less for shipping.

The same boots are available at:

Jeffers for $46.95 (free shipping on orders over $60)

equusunlimited.com $49.99

That said, I have never owned a pair. I am old school as well, and like wraps and bell boots, they offer support in addition to protection.
              APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

Working...
              X