• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Worming when stool sample shows zero worms?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, I see now you're way down in Fl. Tapes are definitely a 2x/year issue, and I'd bet bots are as well.

If you ever run across a high enough FEC to warrant deworming then instead of waiting, give a dose of pyrantel pamoate a try and do another FEC 10 days later. If you find it does a good enough job, then you can use that in place of an ivermectin/moxidectin rotation and help save those chemicals.

That would allow you to use a double dose of pyrantel pamoate for both strongyles AND tapeworms for a given deworming

Comment

I'm a lab tech who does FECs.

The advice given here is great. Keep in mind that the best way to use FECs is to test every horse in the herd and get an idea of which horses are high strongyle shedders and which are low shedders. Then you can use that knowledge for pasture rotation purposes (not rotating the low shedders onto a field littered with eggs from the high shedders), manure spreading (only spreading stall waste from low shedders onto your pastures and composting the rest), and concentrating your strongyle dewormers on the high shedders while using the protocols outlined above for the low shedders.

FECs don't offer much information about the parasitic dynamic at your barn if you're only testing one horse. At that point, it's just a snapshot of a small portion of the poop your horse produces every day.

Feel free to ask questions. I also test for parasites in cats, dogs, and other animals.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        Ah, I see now you're way down in Fl. Tapes are definitely a 2x/year issue, and I'd bet bots are as well.

If you ever run across a high enough FEC to warrant deworming then instead of waiting, give a dose of pyrantel pamoate a try and do another FEC 10 days later. If you find it does a good enough job, then you can use that in place of an ivermectin/moxidectin rotation and help save those chemicals.

That would allow you to use a double dose of pyrantel pamoate for both strongyles AND tapeworms for a given deworming
        Yes def twice a year. The last two years I have only had to do Equimax (quest plus when it was available... It wasnt for a while) as my two come back with negative fecals.

Isn't it if it comes back with a >300 epg result, then you deworm? So you are saying to do the pp instead of the others.. I know a dd of the pp will get tapes but does it have to be a dd given at the same time or is waiting to retest and then act accordingly ok?
        ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Comment

200 is the point at which you start deworming

You need a high enough FEC to do a FEC reduction test (FECRT) to see if pyrantel pamoate works on your farm. It might not, but it might. I had the opportunity to learn that it works pretty well on my farm, where fenbendazole does not. Both have high, widespread resistance issues, but there are still pockets where one or the other, or both, might work. You can't assume one does though, so you need a situation where you can test to see if it does.

IF you have a high count and can use a single dose of pyrantel pamoate and see a large enough reduction, then you know you can use it for strongyles. At that point, finding it works, you'd wait another 4 weeks then do a double dose of it for the tapeworms.

Comment

And the vet said, if FEC comes back consistently negative, worm one time a year with Equimax or Zimectrin Gold. I asked about a time of year and she said typically spring, but I think I'll do it now, at least for the young horse that was out in pasture until August.
            The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

keep in mind the protocols for young horses under 2 are different from adults who have (hopefully) built their immunity

And, depending on where you live, despite clean FECs you may still need to deworm Spring and Fall, those darn bots and tapeworms.

But certainly if you're in an area that either just doesn't have bots, or has a low incidence of tapeworms (which is So Cal where you are), then 1x a year may well be all that's needed

Comment

The young horse is 3 and was on a pretty solid de-worming program. He could have a bit more weight and I figure de-worming and then increasing the feed makes more sense than doing the reverse. And thanks for this thread which reminded me to ask the vet.
                The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

A recent article from The Horse. Interesting that they are saying
                  "Don't treat at the first frost. "Frost doesn't kill infective strongyle larvae or eggs of the roundworm Parascaris equorum," Nielsen said. "When the first frost occurs, the grazing season is typically over, and so is the active parasite transmission season. Treatment at this time has been associated with an increased risk of parasitic disease and could potentially accelerate the development of drug resistant worms. Rather than targeting treatments at the time of the first frost, parasite treatments should be performed well ahead of this, and the first frost should mark a time period with less intensive deworming."
                  "
                  http://www.thehorse.com/articles/308...-dos-and-donts

Comment

Hmmm.... I understand the theory, but...

The goal of using an -ectin after a good freeze is to treat for bots - the freeze kills (most) all the bot flies, which prevents further egg deposits, so killing the ingested larva at that point keeps the horse (mostly) clean until the Spring. You have to use an -ectin for that - nothing else gets them.

I guess I can understand the "don't deworm after a frost" if that means the horses are off pasture for the Winter, as it certainly the case in some areas. But mine, and many, many others in this area, continue to nibble on Winter pasture all season. So no, grazing season isn't over just because of a freeze in many places.

I'm also leery of his "don't deworm around foaling" comments. While I get the fact that most of the issues are already in the environment and have nothing to do with the mare, the reason for deworming the mare right after foaling is to eliminate as much of the intestinal threadworm issue which is a significant cause of the "foal scours".

And lastly, I really, really don't understand his program for young horses up to a year. He's recommending deworming only every 3 months, starting at 2-3 months. That flies in the face of every other modern recommendations for horses up to a year or so.

So, color me confused about some of his stuff

Comment

He has afew good points but in a very, very general sense, but I will say that I will take instruction from other parasitologists.

Really and for the most part it is just not that difficult even in a herd such as mine where I have horses ranging in age from mths to very old. Unless you run into a out of the norm parasite or are truly "blessed" with a resistant parasite issue let me add. I still get good kills from all wormers and to the best of my knowledge the local vets have only ID'ed 2 farms in the county with true resistance issues.

Perhaps it is my area and the cultural/economic influence, but my observation is we have way more horse owners not worming at all still....ever...then we have owners "over worming" here. And it would seem the new in thing is for an expert to come up with their own set of rules in this "new revolution".

Comment

That's interesting you have a population there which seems to not deworm (enough). That's a good thing to some degree!

There have been enough studies done on farms in a variety of areas of the country, finding very high, even 100% resistance to both pp and fen, that one should assume you (in general) have an issue until you can prove you don't. No study will tell you it's a comprehensive resistance, and say there are still likely to be/still are pockets, large and small, where they have remained effective.

I actually found that pyrantel pamoate is (still? again?) quite effective on strongyles on my farm - yay! Fenbendazole is not - oh well. Of those 2, the pp is the one more likely to be found effective enough. But, you can't know which is, if either, until you have the opportunity of a high count and do a FECRT.

One of the best things one can do on a given farm if they find the pp and fen to have resistance issues is to flat out stop using them for as many years as you can. That can allow a population of strongyles to develop that have a lowered resistance.

Comment

Grazing season is over here when there is too much snow. That can be two or even three MONTHS after the first frost!
                          Click here before you buy.

Comment

That's interesting you have a population there which seems to not deworm (enough). That's a good thing to some degree!

There have been enough studies done on farms in a variety of areas of the country, finding very high, even 100% resistance to both pp and fen, that one should assume you (in general) have an issue until you can prove you don't. No study will tell you it's a comprehensive resistance, and say there are still likely to be/still are pockets, large and small, where they have remained effective.

I actually found that pyrantel pamoate is (still? again?) quite effective on strongyles on my farm - yay! Fenbendazole is not - oh well. Of those 2, the pp is the one more likely to be found effective enough. But, you can't know which is, if either, until you have the opportunity of a high count and do a FECRT.

One of the best things one can do on a given farm if they find the pp and fen to have resistance issues is to flat out stop using them for as many years as you can. That can allow a population of strongyles to develop that have a lowered resistance.
                            Trust me it is not a good thing. Not at all. Very frustrating when you are to bleeding heart that takes in the loaded with parasites to the point of serious health issues too. Bot flies used to be a plague around here....seriously. Watched a mare purchased by a relative drop piles and piles and piles of bot larva after she was wormed. It was past freak show levels and to the point of an alien invasion experience. Then when the ecomony went in the dumps I lost all my horsie neighors. Have not seen a bot fly here in over 3 yrs.

With the economy and hay issue the way it is currently....well lets just say some (too many) horses in the area in general get sub par care. Their fate this winter even more delicate.

I still get good kill from pp and fen. Never have had an issue but prefer pp in younger horses with round issues if needs be.

This article and many others....well you never really know just how much the author presents info out of context. Is he offering up what he learned in the true manner this parasitologist presented it....thus educating. Or is he wanting an audience "on the edge of its seat" and just in it too culivate a reading audience. Hard to say.

But again I will take my instruction from others.

Comment

I said "good thing to some degree" as that is probably one of the biggest reasons you don't seem to have a resistance issue in general.

Trust me, I fully understand issues with not deworming at all - that is not a good thing. I was merely pointing out a potential silver lining

Comment

I said "good thing to some degree" as that is probably one of the biggest reasons you don't seem to have a resistance issue in general.

Trust me, I fully understand issues with not deworming at all - that is not a good thing. I was merely pointing out a potential silver lining
                                Interesting assumption. I do not agree with your probable conclusion.

The reason I do not have resistance issues in general here is my worming program does not nor ever has promoted a population of resistant parasites and a bigger factor is very likely environmental.

Comment

Working...
                                X