• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Preparing a horse for the death of his companion UPDATE: He's gone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing a horse for the death of his companion UPDATE: He's gone

For the last 4 years my older horse (now 26) has lived with a fellow senior citizen (now probably 30+). While my guy is as ornery, fat, and cantankerous as ever (routinely makes jail breaks and the like), his companion is not do well. They spent the summer on beautiful pasture, but the older one did not thrive as he normally would. He is losing teeth and just isn't thriving. While he is still in good spirits, my mom (their primary caregiver) is fearing the old man is about at the end of his time. Things are being done to help him eat and hopefully put some pounds back on, but he is OLD.

When the sad time comes, I will bring my guy back down here with me (either keeping him on the farm I manage or finding him somewhere else nearby). However, my biggest concern is the lag time between the old guy passing (whether it is assisted or natural) and me getting him down here. He has no other companions. They are the Odd Couple (truly are, too. Very unalike, but absolutely best buds).

I have suggested my mom ask around about finding a pony, donkey, or goat to join the Odd Couple so Neigh (my guy) has another companion if his pal crosses the bridge and I am a day or two away from getting him. Is there anything else we can do to prepare him for the passing of his friend? He's a good, brave, smart boy, but I worry about him being lonely and heartbroken.
    Last edited by yellowbritches; Dec. 22, 2012, 07:39 PM.
    Amanda

The only thing you could do is try to co-ordinate it so that your guy gets on the trailer at virtually the same time his old buddy crosses the bridge; and I'm not sure even that wouldn't be more of a problem for him than actually seeing his old friend "go" and have a chance to sniff his body and process what's happened. They usually resolve it without noticeable issues I've found if allowed to do that; they seem to know there isn't anybody to search for, call for, etc.

I think I'd let him do just that, and THEN within a day or two take him to his new home where he can turn the page and get involved with a new environment and new horses.

This is a tough one; I wish you well.

Comment

• Original Poster

I would like him to be there for Fury's passing, too. I think it will be better for them both, especially if we put Fury down (I don't want Fury stressed with Neigh leaving and think Neigh will handle leaving better if he sees Fury is no longer "there."

Best case scenario would be scheduling to put Fury down so I can plan on being there to assist with that, then load Neigh up shortly thereafter. But, I'm not sure Fury's owner with do that I will continue to advocate helping him go rather than try and get him through another winter (he is owned by my uncle), but I don't think everyone thinks the same as I do.
      Amanda

Comment

I've had to put several horses down over the years and the companions seem to do better when I allow them to see the body - I have no idea if they need closure, but of the 3 times we allowed the horses in for a "viewing", they really seemed to get it...they'd look, sniff and then go off and do their thing. Sometimes a couple were sullen for a day, but back to normal after that. Of the times we were not able to do that, we had anxious horses, pacing and calling for a couple of days. That was stressful for all of us.

And for what it's worth, I've had my dogs buried in the same manner, so the other dogs can see their companion. That has also seemed to help. Maybe we're weird because my husband comes from a funeral director family, but it feels like closure for all of us.

Comment

Not weird at all! The horses allowed to hold their own "wake" is standard-operating here now because of the exact experience you cite.

Comment

• Original Poster

I've already had an emotional day for other reasons, so all this talk isn't helping. However, it is bittersweet knowing my dear, dear old man will be with me again. I've missed him terribly...3 plus hours is a long drive to see him!

Here's a couple of pictures of them from their first weekend together. Fury is the black one, Neigh is the roany appy. Both are pretty fat and sassy in these pics!!
            http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=45e5834fef
            http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...9&l=cbbfb0c7e3
            Amanda

Comment

They sure look good there! Honest truth; if you can keep them looking good and acting happy right up to the time Nature calls their name, you're doin' it RIGHT. More than that, unfortunately, is not within the Powers granted us.

Of course, I frequently have words with the Powers.

Comment

• Original Poster

Up until this summer, Fury has come out of the summer looking great, and once I started giving little tips and hints on feeding him, did better through the winters, too. But he's not coming into the winter nearly as good this year. I was worried about him last Thanksgiving. I was actually pleasantly surprised that he came through the winter very well.
                Amanda

Comment

A big cyber hug for you....we went through this last Christmas. Our old man was 42 and the last of my childhood ponies. He was born and died only knowing one home.

Comment

We just went through the loss of a long time buddy here two months ago. It was just the two horses here and they have been buddies for 25+ years. I took the advice to have my horse present during and after we gave her time with her friend. These two could not be out of each others site without causing stress and calling out. She understood her friend was gone and handled the situation much better then I expected.

She has been alone since. I had plans at the ready if needed to move her or bring in another, but she is doing OK so far.

Hope everything works out OK.

Comment

They're both very handsome.

Comment

My horse lost his buddy last week.He was put down in his field with my horse present. My horse had the night out in the field with his dead friend ,and the body was taken away in the morning.The vet said to leave the body uncovered for the night so his friend could keep coming to check on him.When I went down in the morning,my guy was grazing nearby quietly.He seemed to handle everything okay ,and was given a new buddy ,once the body was removed. He has not called ,or seemed to fret ,but he does continue to wait at the gate for me to bring him in to eat ,even though his new buddy will be off somewhere else.
                        He seems a bit down ,but alright. I know that he would have been much more upset if had had been taken away without knowing what happened. These two horses were inseparable,I could never bring one in without the other.

Comment

YB, I know you've read my various euth sob stories but for our most recent, here's what happened. 2 boys were to cross The Bridge together, leaving my very dependent red OTTB home alone. We had a parade down the farm road to the cemetery: the 2 die-ers, the soon-to-be-single TB, 2 dogs, 5 people. The 2 boys were PTS in the hay field with TB watching. When both boys were dead, TB was allowed to come close. He sniffed and snuffled EVERY INCH of both bodies. I really mean every inch. Huff and puff, nose on, waggling his nose on theirs, snuffing everything. Each one took him over 5 minutes. When he was all done, he raised his head and looked at them both for another few minutes. Then s.l.o.w.l.y turned away. As he walked off, he looked back once. Back up the hill to his (their) field. He was turned out and he stood still looking out into the view. He let out one HUGE, LONG Black Stallion type whinny/scream/whistle, put his head down and ate grass. That was it. He was alone and he knew it and he was fine with that. He stayed happily alone till I made the mistake this Spring of adopting 2 rescue ponies. He is now 150% attached to them and flips his red-headed lid when he can't see them. So, long story short, in my experience, (there have been 5 other similar stories here) I wouldn't be panicked about it but I would make damn sure your guy can see and finalize with his friend.

Sorry you have to go through it. It is never easy but you're right, better a month early than a minute late.
                          Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

This is just one experience, but it was mine. When I put my mare down she and my gelding were best, best, best friends. I let my gelding watch as the vet put her down, and he stood over the fence watching the whole thing without moving. When she was on the ground, he turned around and walked away. It was as if he knew everything and he was there for her, when it was over, he knew that too. I led him out to her and let him sniff her, after we buried her I let him walk to her grave and sniff around there too. He wouldn't eat any grass when we went to "visit" her until a week later he went over and started grazing near her grave. He doesn't get along with any horses, so he lives alone, but he can share a fence line and he seems fine.

I think another friend would be great for your horse if you can find one, but they seem to adjust.
                            RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

When I put my old pony down, I put her down in the field she was being buried in. My other 2 horses knew for a couple of days she wasn't right, they have an amazing ability to understand way more then we give them credit for.

Once my pony crossed the rainbow bridge, I brought the other 2 outside and put them in the paddock right beside where she was laying (as we were waiting for the backhoe to arrive) and they stayed out and were able to watch the entire thing if they chose to. I wanted them to know what was going on.

They were extremely quiet for a few days and really weren't themselves again for weeks, but then again neither was I and I know they were picking up on my emotions.

Never an easy thing but I really believe in them being allowed to say goodbye to their friends if they have such a close bond.

Comment

I do think they know when a companion dies ... but we break up close relationships all the time when a horse is sold or moved...yank, gone, that's it - and the horse is left wondering what happened.

I (think) I would let the other one be close.

It is called anthromorphizing - but I do think there is something there, as well as for elephants and other animals.
                                Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                                  I do think they know when a companion dies ... but we break up close relationships all the time when a horse is sold or moved...yank, gone, that's it - and the horse is left wondering what happened.

I (think) I would let the other one be close.

It is called anthromorphizing - but I do think there is something there, as well as for elephants and other animals.
                                  When horses are sold or moved we don't have any way to "tell" them what has happened. When one dies, it's a situation that allows us to tell them the story of what has happened, in a language they understand.

Comment

I think so...
                                    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Ditto the above that pasture companions definitely pick up on it when a member of the herd is NQR--especially if they're getting close to their time or have something weird like neuro. Often, the one who's close will even leave the herd and go off to hang out quietly by himself. I don't believe it is anthropomorphizing AT ALL to give these animals the credit they deserve for having a pretty good idea of what is going on; they evolved millions of years before we did and their herds are complex, highly social, hierarchical societies!

Descartes, Darwin and others did the animal kingdom a grave disservice when they cast them in a mechanistic model that operated on blind instinct alone; if that were true, I don't think horses would be remotely capable of being trained to do our bidding, performing acts as unnatural as they are often self-destructive. I've seen interactions my whole life between horses among each other, and between horses and people which lead me to believe they are every bit as sentient as we are; they just experience the world ~differently~ filtered though a sensory and nervous system wired other than ours.

Don't even get me started on DOGS . . .

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SwampYankee View Post
                                        Ditto the above that pasture companions definitely pick up on it when a member of the herd is NQR--especially if they're getting close to their time or have something weird like neuro. Often, the one who's close will even leave the herd and go off to hang out quietly by himself. I don't believe it is anthropomorphizing AT ALL to give these animals the credit they deserve for having a pretty good idea of what is going on; they evolved millions of years before we did and their herds are complex, highly social, hierarchical societies!

Descartes, Darwin and others did the animal kingdom a grave disservice when they cast them in a mechanistic model that operated on blind instinct alone; if that were true, I don't think horses would be remotely capable of being trained to do our bidding, performing acts as unnatural as they are often self-destructive. I've seen interactions my whole life between horses among each other, and between horses and people which lead me to believe they are every bit as sentient as we are; they just experience the world ~differently~ filtered though a sensory and nervous system wired other than ours.

Don't even get me started on DOGS . . .
                                        I agree 150%.

Thanks for all the great feedback and support. Fury is reportedly eating well now that his TC Senior, etc is soupy. I am going to try and make a quick up and back trip to see them both in a couple of weeks, just so I can see how Fury REALLY looks and how much I should be worrying about this.
                                        Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                        X