• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dangerous Herdbound Behavior

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous Herdbound Behavior

I know there are a lot of threads about this, so thanks for allowing one more

I have a 10 yo OTTB who I've owned for 4 years. For the first year, year and a half, we had no issues. For some reason, he became herdbound. We didn't change barns or routines, nothing traumatic happened to him so I'm not sure of the "trigger". What I do know is that now he is king of his all gelding herd.

When all horses are in their stalls for the night, he's a perfect angel. Easy to ride and we can leave the property without much drama, though because of the barns location we can't go too far. Anyway, the problem is when horses are outside and he needs to come in. He completely tunes out everything but getting back outside. He crow hops on the cross ties, screams, head in the air, prances, etc. Getting on to ride is possible, but he pays no real attention to me and still jumps around a lot, screams, etc.

Today was kind of the final straw. I need to move him to a new barn, as we bought a new house. He not only refused to load, but was showing his displeasure by rearing and striking the air. We ended up having to stop and arrange a different day to move him, for his safety and ours.

Since he is moving to a new barn, I am hoping that leaving his herd will help, but I'm not sure! This new herd will include mares and geldings, but he will be out 24/7 instead of stalled. I'm at the point of thinking of selling him if this move doesn't help. This wasn't what I thought I was getting when I bought him, and not what I was hoping for in a horse for this stage of my life, which is so sad.

Any advice or success stories? Thank you in advance!

not that this will cure his behaviors, but you mentioned that if all the other horse are stalled, he is fine............in order to get him inot to trailer, can the others be stalled for a short time, even if it is not their usual routine/ time of day to be stalled?

at least that way you might be able to get him moved.......good luck.....

and perhaps ask kerplexed WHAT her track trainer did to help her horse focus only on her and allow her to become the leader

Comment

I have an extremely herdbound horse, and he just finds a new "best friend" wherever he goes. His "herdbound" behavior is limited to one horse, and his behavior is worst when he's in an unfamiliar environment (e.g. he & buddy go to show together and are separated). But his behavior is extremely dangerous in that situation; he'll throw me/run me over to get back to his friend. I just ended up avoiding going to the same shows as his buddy. Then he's an angel. Not ideal, but it works.

Another horse of mine has the same herdbound behavior as yours. He's a young OTTB. The best way I've found to partially "cure" it is to just do it every day. Eventually that becomes the normal routine and he realized that "ok, I'm pretty certain they'll all be there when I get back, not entirely certain, but pretty sure". And while I don't have as good of a ride as I do when other horses are nearby, we can at least function. Especially at horse shows when he has to leave all his "friends" at the in-gate while he goes in to do a course by himself.

Comment

We have a gelding that only does that in group turnout situations with mares. With geldings only he is fine. He was a stud for 3 years, never bred, but he loses his brain with the girls.

When any of mine have shown the slightest potential for herd bound problems, I immediately changed up their herd, and kept doing it until the behavior went away. Mostly had the problem with my young (under 4) horses and it was quickly resolved.
        Beth Davidson
        Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
        http://blackdogconnemara.com
        visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by SummerJet View Post
          I know there are a lot of threads about this, so thanks for allowing one more

I have a 10 yo OTTB who I've owned for 4 years. For the first year, year and a half, we had no issues. For some reason, he became herdbound. We didn't change barns or routines, nothing traumatic happened to him so I'm not sure of the "trigger". What I do know is that now he is king of his all gelding herd.

When all horses are in their stalls for the night, he's a perfect angel. Easy to ride and we can leave the property without much drama, though because of the barns location we can't go too far. Anyway, the problem is when horses are outside and he needs to come in. He completely tunes out everything but getting back outside. He crow hops on the cross ties, screams, head in the air, prances, etc. Getting on to ride is possible, but he pays no real attention to me and still jumps around a lot, screams, etc.

Today was kind of the final straw. I need to move him to a new barn, as we bought a new house. He not only refused to load, but was showing his displeasure by rearing and striking the air. We ended up having to stop and arrange a different day to move him, for his safety and ours.

Since he is moving to a new barn, I am hoping that leaving his herd will help, but I'm not sure! This new herd will include mares and geldings, but he will be out 24/7 instead of stalled. I'm at the point of thinking of selling him if this move doesn't help. This wasn't what I thought I was getting when I bought him, and not what I was hoping for in a horse for this stage of my life, which is so sad.

Any advice or success stories? Thank you in advance!
          it happens-
          things you can do to help when moved to a new home
          keep his work load the same as most of the time his work load never changes
          think if one was going to a show then they work so no difference and no need to be kept in- so work the horse this helps them to relax and stay focus it also put helps put boundary lines in
          2- keep to the same times when you go for the 1st couple weeks also helps them to settle
          3-could be that your feeding your horse to much high energy feedstuffs so is more feed related lush grass or good grass good high energy feeds and little to no work then the horse will behave like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off

so- ditch the grian and all feeds and feed ab lib hay dont worry horsey wont die as hay is a main forage - when feeds are introduce to a horse it only takes days to enter the system but to let it come back out of a horse can take anything up to 3 weeks - so ab lib hay for 2/3 weeks

then slowly re introduce feeds and use low energy or cool mixes that dont have anything in them to hype the horse up - check with any new barn what they are going to feed and read the back of any feed packet so you know what your horse is having as in small quanities in any feedstuffs fed over different feed soon builds up to higher quanities of that ingrediant

so when introducing feed again do small meals little and often and slowly re introduce it with trial and error till you have a happy medium you can work with for instance the horse is over excited then reduce the amount or up it and change it slightly like i said trial and error

each horse should be fed for weight size and work load one wouldnt be feeeding a shetland the same as a race horse and one wouldnt be feeding a horse in light work likewise the same as a race horse in full work
          and likewise one wouldn't be feeding a horse in light work high energy feedstuffs or in comparision a horse thats retired - you to what the horses needs are

if in doubt contact your local vets for a nurtrionist ok

3-ride your horse with confindence - and learn to ignore the ojections he sets for like as you have describe

objects and objections can be riding past a gate, entry /exit in an areana , a cow a donkey a horse a car traffic etc

be confident ride posistive sit in and sit the trama - if you ignore it your horse will
          other wise every yard you pass or show you go to you will have problems so start off as you mean to go on

sit - and push him past it and keep him going forwards -

when one sees an objection one or some automatcally tense this tells the horse your not ok with xyz- so in his mine it becomes a bigger issue off XYZ

SO DONT THINK TO MUCH CLEAR YOUR MIND HAVE A SET GOAL OF GOING DOWN THE ROAD AND KEEP GOING - THIS TELLS THE HORSE YOUR IN CHARGE AND HE ISNT

keep your legs on and sit in and talk to him use your tones of voice if a dog brought you slippers you pat and phase him likewise for a horse you pitch in your tone of voice would be one of joy

if he poohed on your carpet you would scould your dog and say NO in deeper more effective voice as you wouldnt want him doing it again

likewise for a horse -

horses work on pressure- so when one tenses they can fed of that they feel your vibes
          horses like people to talk to them so they know when they done well or not

voice is your biggest aid and asset so use it dont talk nampy pmaby baby stuff as they wont understand that it will be like lack of confident so leader to follow and will and can create a doubt in his mind

hesistate - dont hesistate be posisitive and assertive in you do, and be direct but firm

hesitation, lack of confidence, gives horses mixed signals and in a horses mind both are fear factors -1st is to flee the 2nd is to advade you be that ridden driven or handled

horses like direct signals and leadership you have to be aplha at all times so he follows your lead if he does that when in he will do that when out

and working the horse and feeding to what required of him correctly will go a long way in making that horse more secure both in and out and less likely to any behavioural problems

Comment

The fundamental issue is that he does not pay attention to you when he feels distressed. Dr. Deb Bennett has an e-book devoted to this called "The Birdie Book." Birdie is just a metaphor for the horse's attention. To paraphrase her fundamental principle, "To the extent that the horse's body is not where its attention is, it will exhibit undesirable and dangerous behaviors." And your horse is dangerous when his body is not where his mind wants to be.
            Last edited by Snowdenfarm; Oct. 5, 2013, 09:22 AM.

Comment

My gelding sometimes gets like this. Not that dangerous, but generally obnoxious and fidgety adn unfocused.

This is what I do:

If he decides to be a jerk about it when he is in the barn and his woman is out, then EVERY day, I bring him in the barn alone, put him in his stall, and he stays there until he settles. He doesnt' like it when they are both in adn then I leave with her, leaving him in his stall. So, when this happens, I will brign both it to eat, then, she goes out. He throws a fit, and doesn't go back out until he settles.

I will also remove his woman from his field, so he must stay out alone as well.

After a few days of "you're going to come in the barn or stay in the field and behave yourself without her" he settles fine. Once in a while, he'll decide that he cannot leave her without being a jerk. We go back to the intentional separation until he can chill out and behave himself alone.
              "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Are the other horses calling for him when they are in the pasture? I have a mare that was terrible at her previous owners farm, mostly because the 2 mares back in the barn kept calling for her. Here at my farm my horses could care less if she left the field. She will look over at the field of horses expecting one of them to yell, but no one ever does, and she never calls back. Wondering if they are yelling to your horse if you could try to muffle their whinnies, maybe cotton in his ears? Just a thought.
                Derby Lyn Farms Website

Derby Lyn Farms on Facebook!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice. I've read and read up on this behavior...the "easy" cure, of course, is separation. I hope the move will help, as well as having a mixed-sex herd. All gelding herds certainly aren't natural and I'm hoping at least one of the mares at the new place is witchy enough to put him in his place and bump him down the ladder a few rungs

It's weird, but the herd does NOT call to him when he's gone! He is supposedly the leader of the herd, but perhaps he's the only one who thinks that

Comment

Working...
                  X