• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

EPSM Diet - Confusion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPSM Diet - Confusion

Just came back from a riding clinic where the clinician mentioned he thinks my horse might have EPSM. He exhibits classic signs: waspy through the hind end, standing camped out, let's his man parts hang out erect, and has been diagnosed sleep deprived. Clinician suggested high fat, low starch diet so I looked up what my boy is eating....

2x/day he gets;
    1 3/4 scoops Triple Crown Senior (11% NSC, 10% fat)
    1/2 lb of Ultra Bloom rice bran (22% starch, 40% fat)
    2 flakes KY timothy

He is on pasture 7am-4pm.

From what I have read, TC Sr is recommended for horses needing low starch, high fat and rice bran is too (we have just recently added this to his diet to improve weight - previously he was on Fat Cat which is only 3% fat, can't find the starch/sugar levels).

From research, I know I need to start adding oil to this (please don't turn up your nose buddy!)

Sooo... what else do I need to change?
    CLIPclop Bodyclipping by Morgan
    Serving North GA with high quality clips.
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

So my horse has had EPSM/ PSSM for years now and his current diet is:
    AM
    1 Cup Safe Choice
    8lb Teff hay

Lunch
    2LB Alfalfa

PM
    2 Cup Safe Choice
    1 Cup Empower
    1 Cup Alfalfa Pellets
    In a mash
    8LB Teff

He is also in pasture for 8hrs a day. I worked with the U of M to develop his diet. One thing I have learned is make a diet that works for you and keeps your horse asymptomatic (so lots of experimenting ) Good luck!

Comment

If you ask me your horse is already on a type of EPSM diet. If it isn't working you need a vet exam to figure out what else could be the problem.
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Originally posted by alaskapalo View Post
        So my horse has had EPSM/ PSSM for years now and his current diet is:
        AM
        1 Cup Safe Choice
        8lb Teff hay

Lunch
        2LB Alfalfa

PM
        2 Cup Safe Choice
        1 Cup Empower
        1 Cup Alfalfa Pellets
        In a mash
        8LB Teff

He is also in pasture for 8hrs a day. I worked with the U of M to develop his diet. One thing I have learned is make a diet that works for you and keeps your horse asymptomatic (so lots of experimenting ) Good luck!
        3 cups of SafeChoice a day is about 1 lb and below the recommended feeding level for that feed (if you're referring to Nutrena SafeChoice).

What are you looking to achieve by including teh SafeChoice since its being fed below the recommended feeding amout - you're not getting the most out of calories or vitamins & minerals offered there. It would seem to make more sense to replace the SafeChoice with a ration balancer since those are typically fed at 1 lb per day, and that's approximately 3 cups (if its a standard pellet).
        "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

Mine get Timothy or teff pellets, about 2 to 3 pounds dry, am and pm, soaked with water first so they fluff up and then add oil, a ration balancer, and maybe a cup of oats or whatever to make it more palatable. Also Vitamin E and magnesium. My 16.3 hand guy needs 3 cups of oil a day otherwise he becomes quite symptomatic. A careful fitness program is just as important as days off usually results in extra stiffness. An EPSM horse also usually will show significantly more symptoms after a long trailer ride as it seems to be particularly hard on them. Not sure if you trailered to the clinic?

Who was the clinician? Super impressed as many trainers have never even heard of it and have even seen many vets miss the diagnosis. Also, how does your horse warm up?

Comment

Holy cow! Sorry for the duplicates! My computer was acting up yesterday...I'll go delete some if I can !
            "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks candico - so maybe I just haven't achieved high enough fat levels yet and the oil will help.

The clinician was Greg Best =] BEST money I have spent on a clinic to date! I trailered an hour to get there the day before. My horse never seems stiff and had the most energy still after 3 hours of riding both days.

On the first day, Greg made off hand comment to me while someone else was going: Does his weight fluctuate a lot (No.. he's always been long & lean). Is he on any special feed (Nope just the UltraBloom). I later asked him what he was thinking when he asked me that and he said "Well, some horses have trouble processing sugars and he's got a bit of a patchy coat and keeps getting erections, which is symptomatic of that condition. You might want to look into getting him on a high fat, low sugar diet."

That's when I came home that night, looked up what was recommended and saw that many people recommend Triple Crown Senior and the NSC and fat percentage. At the end of our second day, my farm manager was on hand, so we had a little discussion with him.. I have our discussion on video so I will post it but the second symptom he mentioned was narcoleptic behavior which I called the vet out for in July and he was diagnosed as sleep deprived. Did more research Wed night and saw that standing camped out/parked out is another symptom and he does exactly that during/after a ride. I had been thinking it was time to start getting his hocks injected, but it sounds like all of our issues are linked back to this.

He started this diet in April and was previously on Horseman's Edge (which is only 6% fat and I can't find the NSC for it) but had no symptoms whatsoever. I'm wondering if he is the reverse of EPSM and if such a condition eve exists.

Think I will be taking laurierace's advice and going for the bloodwork..

Comment

You really need to have a vet diagnose your horse before starting a EPSM diet just because a clinician **thinks** a horse has it! I've seen people cause their horses major issues because they **think** a horse has something. That is what you pay a vet for!
                "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

• Original Poster

Well - he is already on the diet by default of what our barn feeds. Adding some oil won't hurt him. As mentioned though, I am going to invest in bloodwork to be sure.

Comment

Hmm... Not sure your guy sounds EPSM, necessarily. Have a gelding who is EPSM and sleep deprived (anyone looking for a "special" horse?), but I find his lack of sleep is more due to his anxiety hence he sleeps better once I treat for ulcers. I believe there is a YouTube video on a quick way for an owner to check for ulcers via points of soreness on the horse. Bloodwork won't necessarily diagnose EPSM or ulcers. Not sure about the patchy coat reference as the five EPSM horses I've worked with past and present, all had really nice coats even before diagnosis. One of the geldings did the dropping thing although know of a neuro horse with mild Wobblers who also did that. Camping out can be an EPSM symptom, but can be a symptom of back pain, etc. Sounds like you need to write down all unusual symptoms and meet with your vet and evaluate which diagnostics you should pursue. Unfortunately, some horses require multiple vets, chiros, and even hospitals before you have a true diagnosis. Also, how is he with the farrier? If you have a good acupuncturist that could help as I find the "points" really narrow down where to begin looking. Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

We thought the sleep deprivation was related to anxiety - he is alpha man and watches EVERYTHING so changed his stall to a quieter location & keep window shut so he can't monitor everyone. Hasn't made much of a difference.

He gets a chiro visit 2x/year and does not seem to have back pain. Chiro (a DVM) finds nothing out of the ordinary with him, skeletally. Chiro also performs acupuncture, so maybe need to loop back to him. Just trying to decide who to call first.. "Alternative" vet or "Regular" vet.

He is 100% good for farrier but farrier has mentioned that he always fakes that he has been quicked and doesn't set his feet down solid right away. Farrier usually walks him out a few steps to ensure. He said the first time he shod this horse, he fell for it and reset all 4 shoes. He has been shoeing this horse for 8 years.

Comment

An EPSM diet usually won't hurt a horse even if they don't have EPSM.

But, the other factor that you need to consider besides diet is a considerate amount of exercise. He needs to be worked nearly every day to keep those muscles moving and prevent buildup.
                        Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors

Comment

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post
                          You really need to have a vet diagnose your horse before starting a EPSM diet just because a clinician **thinks** a horse has it! I've seen people cause their horses major issues because they **think** a horse has something. That is what you pay a vet for!
                          I agree with not letting a clinician diagnose your horse but there is no risk to putting a horse on an EPSM diet if you make the change gradually. In this case there really isn't a change to be made though except adding a little oil. I fed a high fat, low carb diet to all my race horses for over a decade as it cuts down on the incidence of tying up.
                          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

I'll admit I don't work him every day. He has usually been one of those horses who 3 rides a week works wonders for him. And he seems to love a 2 week break - he is always better after 2 weeks off for some reason.

Is the exercise schedule as important even if he is getting 9 hours of turnout on hilly 5 acre pasture?

I just can't help but think this is so weird that AFTER we move barns & he switches to an EPSM-ish diet and 3x as long of turnout we start having issues. I guess it's just an aging horse issue but still. What gives??

Comment

1- Why not go back to the Horseman's Edge for a while?

Comment

• Original Poster

Kolsh - I was thinking of that, but am concerned to do so with how symptomatic he is right now. If he truly is an EPSM horse, I can't imagine switching him to something 6% fat and 30+% NSC.

Plus, from what I am reading it takes approx 4 months to see the change .. so I feel like experimenting like that could do some real harm if it truly is that long of a trial period. That's why I am thinking safer to not change anything and call an expert.

Any thoughts on "Alternative" vet vs. "Regular" vet?

Comment

TDR- I'm not a vet, but I highly doubt that an older horse going from:

30%NSC
                                  restricted turnout
                                  no symptoms
                                  to:
                                  Low NSC, higher fat
                                  increased turnout
                                  decreased performance

really does have EPSM.

As a horse owner the first thing I'd do is feed the horse what worked well before. If no improvement I'd seek veterinary attention. I have a horse that looks/performs terribly on low NSC high fat- weak loin, no impulsion. Days after I bump up the carbs in his diet his engine returns. Your results may vary!

Comment

Yeah, just doesn't sound like EPSM to me either. Hmm... As far as alternative vs. traditional also depends on who in your area is more knowledgeable/competent. For odd lameness I like alternative first so we can pinpoint where to X-ray, or ultrasound without a bunch of nerve blocks and flexions. Shen Calmer, a TCVM herb might get him sleeping, but I'd also try a few days of omeprazole as you should see a big change if the ulcers are the culprit. If the horse has gone downhill recently, could also be EPM or Lyme. As far as muscling adding Tri Amino has made a huge difference in my horses who have problems with other protein sources.
                                    Basically, use the best vet, organize a list of all symptoms and when they occur and maybe find some before and after photos/videos to see better what exactly seems to be declining.

Comment

Working...
                                    X