• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pseudo-Scientific Thinking and the Horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point taken about the scientific fact, paula.

I found this a while ago, and thought it was a total riot and have been sharing it with everyone I know since.

Worth a watch and ponder.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYjnL2PqUg

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
      cause of flatulence, or whether the flatulence should be a concern, the peppermint oil in the candy worked beautifully to relax the pylorus and ease the gas.
      I strongly suspect that the amount of peppermint oil in a mint candy is negligible.

Leaving aside the likelihood that, had no one been around, the gas colic would have subsided on it's own after a couple of bucks and farts.

I worked in AIDS drug development for many years and we had one classification of drug called "natural products". Essentially stuff that was scraped off trees, ground up bugs, etc. Why? We were looking for new HIV compounds. This was a good approach in cancer (Taxol from the Yew tree) and it served effectively in AIDS research (Calanolide).
      That approach, as well as the ethnobotanical one, are quite valid avenues.

But, "primitive cultures used the ground root of X" is a better starting point than end point.
      "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

the gas colic would have subsided on it's own after a couple of bucks and farts.
        Ah, so buck-farting DOES have a useful physiologic purpose?
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

Duh,Ghazzu. I'm not saying at all that you simply embrace the primitive approach with as much religious fervor as you would embrace science as truth. Both moves are hazardously biased. I am simply saying that you ought not pooh pooh folk remedies as being automatically inferior to science.

Paula
          He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
            Ah, so buck-farting DOES have a useful physiologic purpose?
            So does sticking a horse in a trailer and driving it around a bit, when it has mild gas colic.
            Old cowboy trick that one, vet approved too around here.

Comment

Duh,Ghazzu. I'm not saying at all that you simply embrace the primitive approach with as much religious fervor as you would embrace science as truth. Both moves are hazardously biased. I am simply saying that you ought not pooh pooh folk remedies as being automatically inferior to science.

Paula
              Oh, but they are inferior, until proven and then they become science.

Inferior by definition, because we don't know yet why or how they work, that is why they are not, or not yet science.

Comment

Gosh, I hope you're being sarcastic.

Paula

Comment

I think what Bluey is saying is basically "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Without losing sight even a tiny bit of the debt we owe to Mother Nature in providing us with many of the remedies and treatments we have, I'd agree that one which has been tested, proven safe and efficacious and is available inexpensively in a formulation that is reliable in dosing is FAR superior to either a still-unproven remedy, even from the same type of source, or to a bunch of leaves and bark hacked off the "mother" plant and swallowed whole.

Comment

Paula
                    Depends on what you mean by embracing science.
                    Sure as hell don't take the latest "finding" as gospel, simply because it was published.

I want to see the whole manuscript, not just the abstract, and even then, I treat a lot of it as interesting but not definitively proven.

And most certainly not gospel...

Comment

The idea that some old wives tale will only have value if a peer-reviewed study is done is exactly my point. Science provide criteria for examining hypotheses undoubtedly, but there are in fact real limits to scientific method. We discuss these with all our non-science major students because it is something that we do not generally understand intuitively.

1. All phenomena are not falsifiable. Everything cannot be validated through scientific method.

2. Every phenomenon is not afforded the same sense of priority. Essentially everything that ought to be researched is not researched. Practical criteria like cost are realities to research.

For example, Asia knows about neem and its properties. We scientists may ask -is neem a useful compound as a microbicide against STI? The trick is then to find the funding to hopefully get neem into the club for things that have been deemed now superior by virtue of a paper written. The challenge is that neem is cheap so there is no benefit to some pharma putting R&D money towards legitimizing it. So your options are to wait until neem hits the big time, as Bluey remarks, is made superior by scientific proof, or draw your own conclusions based on millennia of old wive's tales unproven by science.

I'll tell you that in one of my micro experiments we soak paper discs in various declared anti-microbials and then place these discs on bacterial lawns to look for inhibition of growth. My neem toothpaste fares better than a popular mouthwash that likes to declare its efficacy against germs.

My point is not Neem of course, but this automatic allowance that "science" legitimizes. Science should not be seen that way. Science is the pursuit of more information and understanding. Science allows that the the "proof" of yesterday can be incorrect. Science should be seen as dynamic.

3. Proof takes time. Years go by while we wait for something promising in the lab or in anecdote to be legitimized by science.

4. There is never consensus. You take a position based on the preponderance of data, but you realize that the only factor that will prove you right is history.

Paula

Comment

• Original Poster

In the case of the original post, horse turned out fine. In fact, I turned him out in a place with soft footing to get the roll-fart. It was odd, but not a case that was really worrying. I can guarantee you though, that a peppermint would not have made a difference. If peppermint oil would have helped (and every indication is that peppermint oil is more caustic, not less on the stomach) I would have just given him peppermint oil. Not a candy peppermint.

Comment

The idea that some old wives tale will only have value if a peer-reviewed study is done is exactly my point.
                          Nice straw man.
                          I never said that.

but there are in fact real limits to scientific method.
                          And I certainly don't dispute that.

Comment

I'm not saying at all that you simply embrace the primitive approach with as much religious fervor as you would embrace science as truth. Both moves are hazardously biased.
                            Paula
                            I'd tend to see it that way as well.

Is there really that much difference between a religious zealot and a science zealot? They both seem to be basing their perspectives on faith.

Comment

You are more eloquent than I, alterhorse. That is it exactly.

Paula

Comment

Originally posted by alterhorse View Post
                                Is there really that much difference between a religious zealot and a science zealot? They both seem to be basing their perspectives on faith.
                                The first is based on faith. The second is based on evidence.
                                Are you feeding your horse like a cow? www.safergrass.org

Comment

here's some good rules for scientific evidence:
                                  http://www.dur.ac.uk/rosalyn.roberts/Evidence/cofev.htm

anyone got rules for belief?
                                  Are you feeding your horse like a cow? www.safergrass.org

Comment

Originally posted by alterhorse View Post
                                    I'd tend to see it that way as well.

I don't think you understand what science is.

You don't have to believe anything and be a zealot over it when we are talking science, unlike with religions or alternative medicine.

With science, you don't just believe, you study why what science is explaining seems to be so, look for proof and if you find it, fine, that is the way it works in that situation science presents it.
                                    If not, you keep looking.

If people believed science like they do, say, the Bible, we would still be stuck on whatever passed for science 2000 years ago.
                                    There would not be disputing to it, as with those that today still follow the Bible.
                                    I live in the deep Bible belt, I know what I am talking about.

Comment

Science zealots do not base their positions on evidence, they base it on faith. I like to use the "Central Dogma of Biology" or the "Criteria for Life" in these kinds of discussions.

Central dogma; look at the name. It was a fierce and certain belief that DNA makes RNA and RNA makes protein and that this was the basis for all replication. The name was a mistake, IMO, because karmically you're just asking for an exception. So far we've discovered one giant exception -the retrovirus. The retrovirus has an enzyme that can reverse engineer DNA from RNA. It's called reverse transcriptase. That is not to say that in cells, DNA-RNA-Protein is not the rubric, but calling it dogma was interesting. In science it takes a certain amount of hubris to be convinced that your current information is the limit of all knowledge. Kolsch's youtube hyperlink explains it brilliantly.

Criteria for life: all living things are made of cells, can adapt to the environment, respond to stimuli, evolve, grow and adapt, etc. Great. Here is an organism that can do all those things except it is not a cell. It's virus. Is it alive? Most say no, some say yes, and we need to revise our criteria for life.

That is science. Science is dynamic. Today it's spontaneous generation, tomorrow it's germ theory. If science wasn't cynical and dynamic, if we were not always questioning, we'd still be afraid that if we sailed too close to the horizon we'd fall off the edge of the world.

Paula

Comment

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." --James Randi

"But a whole collection of facts is a good place to start when we want to know how things work." --DW

paula, why do you insist that the other participants on this thread are seeing things as either black or white? Almost nobody here, beyond the people on the far edges of the bell curve (and they are all clustered at one end) actually look at "science" that way. You said yourself that it is a constant endeavor, full of self-correction and the necessary revision of conclusions. That's exactly how almost everyone here sees it, as well. I realize that there ARE "science zealots" out there, but even though I might very well be accused of being one of them, nothing is actually further from the truth. Science is nothing more than rational inquiry and fact-finding.

It is those who are most ignorant of what scientific inquiry actually IS who make the biggest fuss over whether or not it qualifies as zealotry or religion or whatever. To me that argument is beyond ridiculous. These are the same types who think that science only encompasses experiments in labs and radomized trials, when that is only one narrow slice of how scientific inquiry is performed.

I kind of get the feeling you're preaching to the choir here. None of the homeopathic-vibrating, aura-photographing, psychic communicating types are currently participating on this thread. Almost everyone else here who finds the topic interesting has a fairly healthy grasp of what science is, and is not.

Comment

I have previously thought of it as the 'Leave your advanced college degree at the door' phenomenon. Wherein people with Bachelors, Masters, Doctorates, etc deposit all their advanced learning at the end of the farm driveway. Apparently there is an invisible sign directing them to leave their intellect and training related to science, law, psychology, etc on the other side of the farm fence line.

It's weird... but I see it all the time.
                                          "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

Working...
                                          X