• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Excessive drinking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive drinking

Not of alcohol, lol. Water.
    My boarder's horse is drinking and urinating excessively. No other symptoms.
    A urine sample has been tested, and the only abnormality was the specific gravity. My boarder can't remember exactly what the abnormality was, but the urine is more diluted than it should be. The vet is coming back next week to draw blood, however they won't tell her over the phone what they are testing for, and she, naturally, is quite concerned.
    Any ideas?
    Horse is a 2 yo Hanoverian/Swedish gelding. She bought him as a yearling colt, he was in a debilitated state (so thin he had a noticeable weight gain within 1 week, and I was not socking the food to him, hay only and added gradually), and he also had mange, and then developed ringworm secondary to that. I doubt he was every properly dewormed - breeder said he had been on a regular every 2 month program, my belief is that even if this was a true story that the wormer must have been low quality.
    He always drank more water than my other horses. When he first arrived it was something, yes, I noticed, and provided 2 buckets in his stall, but it wasn't an amount you would think of as excessive. I would say late spring/early summer his inflow and outflow have gradually increased to the point where she and I simultaneously arrived at the conclusion he needed to be tested. And here we are.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

IR or Cushings? I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV, but given the seasonal component and such, even though he's young, I would be thinking about Cushings.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

My only applicable experience is with insulin resistance, and my horse did drink and pee excessively prior to us figuring out his issue. I also noticed him consuming his salt block at an abnormally high rate then. I'm guessing there are other issues that can cause excessive drinking/urinating, but the IR is the only one I've personally experienced. Having the vet out to do blood work sounds like a good plan. I'm sure they'll be able to talk about what they are looking for then.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the response!
        Those are a couple of the thoughts we have tossed around.
        Vet's office keeps asking if he is lethargic, like they think he should be, but he isn't. Just ask his donkey buddy who was being chased mercilessly around the field the other day.
        Aren't there two blood tests to check for Cushing's? I have a 32 yo Morgan who I'd considered having tested for Cushing's a couple of years ago, I do remember the vet said we couldn't do the test too late in the fall, and I seem to recall he said there would be one test at a certain time and then another at a different time. In the end I didn't get her tested so my memory could be quite faulty.

Comment

There are a couple of tests for Cushings. The ACTH and the low dose dex suppression. The ACTH test isn't good this time of year as all horses have an increase in those levels in the late summer/fall through about Jan. That test is for the hormone that drives growing a hair coat and such. (this is why many times a Cushings horse has a wooly coat (hirsutism) year round)

I'm not a vet nor do I play one on TV so the best bet is of course to work with your veterinarian.

My mare has had ACTH testing done and is on the borderline high of normal so right now, she's still classified as IR. But she has muscle wasting on the topline, increased drinking, etc.

The low dose dex suppression test can be done year round but it is a little more involved.

Best wishes.

Comment

He could also just be bored. It's not unheard of horses who drink excessive amounts of water simply because they have nothing else to do. Consider getting him a stall buddy, or at least some sort of toy. It might solve the situation.
            www.facebook.com/lusitanos4sale

Comment

Or renal issues? No idea, but its something to consider.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SCMSL View Post
                He could also just be bored. It's not unheard of horses who drink excessive amounts of water simply because they have nothing else to do. Consider getting him a stall buddy, or at least some sort of toy. It might solve the situation.
                He is outdoors, in a field, not just a paddock, with his donkey buddy, at least 12 hours a day. Often I leave them out 24 hours as long as the weather is fine and the mosquitoes are not thick in the air.

Thanks for the ideas folks!

They aren't thinking renal problems because the urine is completely normal except for the specific gravity.

Comment

• Original Poster

Update - diagnosis

So the ACTH test came back positive for Cushings. Everything else is normal. However I understand from a previous poster in this thread that unfortunately this is not the best time of year for accuracy.
                  He'll be starting on meds today, and we'll see if there's any improvement with his water consumption. As he isn't my horse, and we haven't picked up the pills yet, I'm not certain what exactly those meds are. I know it is a small pill, and it has to be compounded as it isn't approved in Canada.
                  Owner is interested in getting a second opinion, but we're concerned about ruffling the vet's feathers if there isn't a good reason to. Or, maybe he should be retested in January?
                  Other than my 32 yo Morgan, who I suspect has had Cushings for a few years, but have never had tested (and I don't go to great lengths with her diet - I just try to keep weight on her by feeding her whatever she will eat, as she has certain opinions about what her diet should contain. And at her age she is entitled, lol.)
                  So I am a newbie to caring for a Cushings horse, and I'm interested in any tips COTH'ers can share.

Comment

• Original Poster

The medication is Pergoglide.

Comment

Has the horse had any bute or banamine recently? Just a couple weeks ago one of my boys did just this...after having a dose of banimine for a colic. What we didn't know was that he has renal issues, so this triggered a major episode of kidney failure. He drank about twice as much water as he ought to and peed like crazy for about a week. Looking back, he has always drank a little more than most of the guys in his stable but it wasn't as alarming as this. His creatinine and bun levels were very high. We kept him very hydrated (IV fluids for a few days) and it more or less has cleared the system and his kidneys are functioning well again. He can never have any NSAIDS again because they will shut down his kidneys, even at a low dose.

Not trying to scare you, but you may consider having this horse's blood tested just to see what his levels look like. Kidney horses need a low protein diet to prolong their health.
                      Horses don't lie.

Comment

Sorry, just reread the OP and I see that they are going to pull blood next week. I would think they are suspecting kidney by the looks of it. I would also think that they would want to test blood earlier rather than later to get an idea of what severity it is IF it is a renal issue. Good luck!
                        Horses don't lie.

Comment

Do horses get diabetes insepidus?

Just a thought. It always runs through my mind when I hear of very young animals that are PU/PD.

I notice that this horse is only 2 years old. Is it common for this type of warmblood to develop Cushings so young?

Anyway- good luck and JINGLES!!!
                          Unrepentant carb eater

Comment

Seems like 2years old is super young for Cushings. With the history, I'd look for/treat for ulcers. Some try to "put the fire out" in their belly by drinking water. I've seen this be the only symptom, and by just a few days of omeprazole the water obsession goes away. Worth a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Rooty View Post
                              Not of alcohol, lol. .
                              On reading the heading I was wondering if you knew my inlaws
                              I wasn't always a Smurf
                              Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                              "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                              The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• Original Poster

LOL!
                                The horse's ACTH levels are over 4 times normal, all other bloodwork and urine analysis was normal.
                                I work for a physician and we had him look at the bloodwork too, lol, he is the first person to admit he is not a vet, but when you work for someone who has a giant brain you can pick for free you might as well.
                                I am cautiously optimistic that he is responding to the Pergolide - his stall is drier.

Comment

If the levels were that high, chances are good that it's more than your standard seasonal increase. Hopefully, the Pergolide will offer some relief.

Keeping him at a good weight, in consistent work, and keeping track of NSCs can go a long way towards managing symptoms as well.

Best wishes.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, luckily the only obvious symptom he has is the excessive drinking. He's not in work yet, but he does get lots of exercise chasing his donkey around. Although that activity doesn't seem to keep weight off the donkey....

Comment

Working...
                                    X